Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Folding Bicycles v3, Foldies come in!

views

etigge
post Feb 19 2014, 05:54 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(vivaldi @ Feb 19 2014, 04:19 PM)
I bought a 2nd hand Dash P18...The chain sound rough when i try to paddle..especially at the smallest cog...hmm...
Matter of rear derailleur adjustments only. nod.gif
etigge
post Feb 24 2014, 11:58 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(haroldz123 @ Feb 20 2014, 04:01 PM)
stil waiting for some one to compare dahon vybe c7s and link tern c7

rm200 different
No need to compare! tongue.gif Although I am a Dahon supporter, for this case the Tern Link C7 is better than the Dahon Vybe C7s.
etigge
post Feb 25 2014, 10:19 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(haroldz123 @ Feb 25 2014, 09:29 AM)
definitely!
josh hon cringed when his c7 was compared to c7s tongue.gif

rodalink in kch offer me free shipping so now i am waiting for their email to confirm the deal
The Vybe is actually the former Eco C7 which was my first foldie. I have also modded it to 27 speed. It took me to many rides and places. If I were to choose between Tern Link C7 and Dahon Eco C7, I would choose the Dahon. The new folding latch and the color is the dissapointing factor in the new Dahon Vybe. If you don't mind tbose, it is still a good ride especially the C7a.

This post has been edited by etigge: Feb 26 2014, 12:38 AM
etigge
post Feb 25 2014, 08:05 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(MrMao @ Feb 25 2014, 07:21 PM)
is Aleoca good? i saw 1 at mudah 399 only. with some shimano part
Here's a good blog to explain.

http://handsonbike.blogspot.com/p/cheap-vs...mium-bikes.html
etigge
post Feb 26 2014, 12:42 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(rkhairulrijal @ Feb 22 2014, 04:17 PM)
I went to 2 bike shop in Penang near Sunrise/sunshine bayan baru. They told me Dahon Speed p8 cannot mod. its RD and FD true ah?
user posted image

user posted image
etigge
post Feb 26 2014, 04:37 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(Klpegaso @ Feb 26 2014, 03:41 PM)
Hi All

Just to share with you some of the places where I do my daily ride....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hpho...186963533_n.jpg
Is this in UPM? Near Serdang.

etigge
post Feb 28 2014, 08:40 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(hsiman @ Feb 28 2014, 05:29 AM)
Would like to chg pedal to quick release type. Can it fit to the stock crank of my Dahon? Any recommendation? Price? Whr to buy in Klang Valley? BTW currently using stock Wellgo. Tks smile.gif
All pedals, are standard regardless of quick release folding or otherwise. icon_rolleyes.gif

Try browsing through the BBS website.

This post has been edited by etigge: Feb 28 2014, 08:40 AM
etigge
post Feb 28 2014, 06:38 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(hsiman @ Feb 28 2014, 09:45 AM)
Ok, understand. Thanks smile.gif
Wanted a pedal with quick release just for xtra security if I happened to cycle to wrk n park the bike.
P/s the MU P8 that u recommended at Kimbell, I happened to bought it. No regret at all. smile.gif
It was such a bargain! It is actually marked as higher spec-ed than the Speed P8 and yet Kimbell sold it at a price almost similar to it. Congrats! thumbup.gif

PS/ if you calculate back the added components or better ones, it's worth more than that.

WTB Kinetix rims (not a standard issue now) - RM800
Biologic seat post pump - RM160
Avid levers + Kinetix brakes - no idea of the price
Schwalbe tires - RM160
Shimano HG cassette (not Sunrace used now)
Biologic rear luggage rack - RM190

Also the high quality lock jaw grip of the folding mechanism!

This post has been edited by etigge: Feb 28 2014, 06:44 PM
etigge
post Feb 28 2014, 11:25 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(H2D @ Feb 28 2014, 10:42 PM)
had a chance to baby sit this.....

this is older model...

current one have some changes...

looks nice, but not without flaws....

rare cos new one cost $$$$, also  ppl won't  wana spend $$$ on this kinda bike....

user posted image

Changebike change bike DF-5
When I first saw it, I liked too!Then when I was riding with earlku who was riding it, all my fascination is gone! tongue.gif
etigge
post Mar 2 2014, 07:21 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(hsiman @ Mar 1 2014, 09:11 AM)
Hi Sifu Etigge, thanks for advice. Didn't know that it is higher spec-ed. The ride is solid. The other parts other than the pedal that I really like to change is the RD and shifter. The level 1 and 2 not shifting smoothly. Took it back to Kimbell to tune the RD. But after a few rides, the problem came back again. Worry once I change the RD and shifter, I need to change the cassette, chainset and grip too. Don't know what else must change together bcos of the compatibility issue. Any recommendation and how much would it cost? Kimbell have a pair of Shimano Tiagra shifter. Trying not to spend too much on upgrading bcos I might as well get another bike. BTW saw the Birdy Disc at GW. Very tempted to buy. Also considering Tern Verge X-10 but don't like the white colored saddle and grip. tongue.gif
Performance will be better if you change the rear derailleurs though and also trigger shifters shifts better than grip shifts. Tiagra shifters are 10 speed road bike shifters and unless you are prepared to change the whole set up, it won't work on the existing set up. Yours are only 8 speed now. I have a set of old 8 speed triggers (one side ), RD and adapter. If you want to upgrade, let me know. Just message me. icon_rolleyes.gif
etigge
post Mar 3 2014, 01:51 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

2kia here's a link for you.

http://ktwongoutdoors.blogspot.com/2014/03...-ng-put-up.html
etigge
post Mar 3 2014, 09:20 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(hsiman @ Mar 3 2014, 08:39 AM)
IMHO I won't spend too much on front lighting unless you are going into trekking. I guess most of us are leisure cyclist and would prefer to cycle in a bright area. Thus, lighting are the extra precautions that we take for others to see us. Therefore, it is something that we must have though. Cheaper ones will do but prefer those that have blinking function. smile.gif
Even those RM5 ones from Daiso have blinking functions. If you are near Pasar Road, KL, there are many sellers there. The holders are only RM3 to RM5 and the torchlights as low as RM10. There some nice rechargeble ones too. It is also good to have a blinking small light on the front handle bar.

The budget depends on your needs. I sometimes ride in the dark, very dark so I need something bright. Mine and wife's are 780 lumens but usually we set at quarter power only for longer use. Only in certain dark stretches we hit the full power. I used to use the ones with external batteries but has since changed to internal one as it is bothersome to have another bag on the handlebar.

At least use a cat eye. Saves the trouble of buying again and again if using the cheap ones. icon_rolleyes.gif
etigge
post Mar 4 2014, 10:05 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(cheeshyan94 @ Mar 4 2014, 09:58 PM)
Dahon dash p18 and now is x18 biggrin.gif
Which works better? The road bike brake levers or the normal brake levers when combined with mechanical disc brakes? hmm.gif
etigge
post Mar 6 2014, 09:34 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(ipodunlimited @ Mar 6 2014, 06:07 PM)
mini velo frame will be sturdier but they usually comes in narrow 451 wheels flavour. If you can squeeze in 406 rims with wider tyres then that might do the trick. should also consider a more reputable brand since the frame strength and QC is quite important here.
height also plays a role when comes to riding mini velo as the geometry is more sportier...hence the golden rule, test ride first to make sure you can handle the bike comfortably especially at higher speed or steep descend.
They do have bigger 451 tires with more treads. Although choice is limited, they do have. If you ever want to change from a 451 to a 406 wheelset, let me know. I will be glad to change it with you. I have an unused 406 wheelset. tongue.gif I am looking for a 451 wheelset for my Dash anyway.
etigge
post Mar 6 2014, 09:42 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(jeisern @ Mar 6 2014, 02:43 PM)
Guys,

I am new to the folding scene and i read through some of the notes in V2 and now V3.

I am on the big size and weigh 105 kg, i have used my bro's Dahon in the ride of silence with no issues.

Now i plan to get one my self for "mostly" the same reason some of you have.

1. Portability
2. Ease of use
3. For the wife to use but, since i am buying i get to pick tongue.gif
4. Itchy just to get one

I have narrowed down to the following :

1. Java Fit 22" 16S-D (From GW Cycle Boutique)
2. Java Mini Velo (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=591425014239724&set=a.591424960906396.1073741829.591173320931560&type=1&theater_

My question is, is there any guys here in Lowyat with my weight riding the above mentioned selection ?

I am looking at budget of around RM 2400.00

Seeking advice from some of the experts in this forum.
I am also a weighty rider, floating from 98kg to 105 kg. I think myak9 and 2kia blush.gif can attest to that. So far with most Dahons, from Eco C7, Speed P8, Boardwalk, Dash P18, Vigor, all of them can take my weight without any creaking or flexing. And I do ride a lot and once I even rode down 5 to 6 steps of stairs (didn't see it in the dark) and it's still OK. They may specify 105kg but the breaking is very much higher than that. It's for safety concern.

I have ridden Jave side by side on my 4 days trip to Penang and although the rider was strong and fast, the folding is really terrible though. The fold is thick and bulky and also the handle bar is meddling with the fold. Just visit Pedalsport and they have 2 units folded there and yopu can see the bulkiness. I have never mentioned because I really did not see it folded before and now that I did, it became another disadvantage over tha few others!

As for the Jave foldies, it's quite popular among a few lady riders in Penang. nod.gif
etigge
post Mar 7 2014, 09:02 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

Anybody here bought a Dahon Vigor and modding to Shimano 105 groupset? rclxms.gif
etigge
post Mar 7 2014, 12:23 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(kcwo @ Mar 7 2014, 10:49 AM)
Last week I bought my KHS foldies for flat tyre repair at shop. The shop owner said my stock wheelset is a cheap one. He recommend me to upgrade. After upgrade the wheelset will have better sound during rotation.
I would like to check here anybody upgrade their stock wheelset? What other advantage?
1. Sound
2. smoother bearing - less power loss
3. Faster spinning
4. Rim is more center?? My stock spinning wild a bit even after truing.
5. Etc...

Thanks
So, what wheelset did the shop keeper recommended? How much ?

Some like the ratcheting sound of the hub, some don't but it is not in any way better.

As for no.2, check if yours is a seal bearing hub, if it is, no point changing but then again, Shimano have never used seal bearings right from their low end till the XTRs and Dura Aces and they are performing well. Reason is, easier to actually service and maintain more regularly. But on the same note, I think KHS wheelsets uses 32 holes hub (pls check) and if it is, I think it is easier to just change hubs as 32 holes are common and you can buy mountain bike or road bike hubs so easily here.

PS/ Also KHS uses the standard 100mm front hubs. So much cheaper if just get a used seal bearing hub from BBs and relace the rims.

Faster spinning depends mainly on your legs and also the condition of your hubs.

Rim dishing (centering) is the adjustments of the spokes and not the design of the rims or hubs. It's spinning wild means it is badly trued or else your rims 'bengkok' already!

Etc.etc. too tongue.gif

This post has been edited by etigge: Mar 7 2014, 12:47 PM
etigge
post Mar 10 2014, 10:31 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(pigduck @ Mar 10 2014, 12:23 AM)
Want to buy a foldable bike - checked out rodalink and they had dahon, tern and lerun. they handed me a tern brochure and the bike's all look the same - but the price seems a bit expensive for dahon and tern.

I did an online research and realised there are even more brands - lerun, trinx, giant, ori, hasa, birdy, java, doppleganger, volcano - how do I pick?!

- The person riding won't be very tall - around 5 feet and a female
- just starting out and wants to ride for recreation and exercise but wants to explore more things
- wants the bike to be portable and to fit in the boot of her myvi
- obviously the most affordable but then it depends - if it rides well, then the person will want to ride more and if it doesn't ride as well, then they will ride it less
- riding on roads and maybe slight terrain
- easy to fold
- light
- portable - may want to take it on travels

How do I pick? What do you suggest?
The conditions of your purchase is quite perplexing! tongue.gif It's like describing a person as fair and dark, a bit fat but slim and quite tall but short! blush.gif In your case, I think the best is the Trinx 16 speed because it's cheap for the specs, has enough gears and also will last till you get another better bike in future if he/she continues riding after finding out that it's fun riding.

Another option is the XDS but the 16 inch wheels option. This bike is built better than XDS 20 inch counterparts. Whether you can ride long distances depends on the rider. The last 5 rides of the Penang trip we did, there were 2 retired Cikgus who uses it with no problems as it is compact enough to put into IKEA bags! thumbup.gif

user posted image

This post has been edited by etigge: Mar 10 2014, 10:34 AM
etigge
post Mar 10 2014, 12:32 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(sepat @ Mar 10 2014, 11:28 AM)
haaa.. finally i got access to post to this forum.. it's a validation issue ... no wonder i cant post anything here..

just got my ride last week from Rodalink Hartamas

Dahon Vigor P9 for myself and Tern Link D8 for my wife

the bikes runs awesome !!..

By the way, i am just curios with the tires i am running on.. on Dahon website.. it stated that vigor p9 is schwalbe marathon supreme but the bike is on Rotolo rubber... when i called back with Sri Hartamas Branch they said that every country have different specs of tire so in order to lower down the price of Dahon here in Malaysia the tire was downgrade to Rotolo instead Marathon.. is it true? or can it be accidentally swapped?

sharing you some shots of the ride

Rodalink is correct. In Malaysia they swapped the Marathons for the Rotolos, to cut the selling price a bit. OK larr! for a Vector frame. It's the top level frame from Dahon at a cheaper price. In fact you should have got 2 Vigors instead of another choice. Anyway, enjoy riding as I am.

PS/ Take note though. Marathon Plus comes in 2 forms, one is the wire ribbed for OEM which are heavier and the ones sold separately are those folded ones which are much lighter and better. icon_rolleyes.gif
etigge
post Mar 10 2014, 02:16 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(sepat @ Mar 10 2014, 01:29 PM)
may i know what is the recommended  pressure set for rotolo rubbers?
It's stated on the sidewall of the tires. It says within the range .But I think 60 psi is good thumbup.gif

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0646sec    0.46    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:10 PM