Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

A RM490 MILLION Sports Training Centre in London, ...and government is going ahead with it

views

TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 11 2006, 10:44 AM, updated 18y ago

Current Toy: MacBook Pro 13 2013
1,168 posts

please read this and tell me what are your opinions on this matter:

Raising our game
Concrete plan for World Cup dreams

11 Jul 2006

KUALA LUMPUR: Will Malaysia ever play in football's World Cup Finals? World Cup 2006 rekindled the hopes of many Malaysians that one day the country will make it to world-class tournaments.

At present, the country excels in only a handful of sports: badminton, squash and bowling among them.

If an ambitious plan by the Government bears fruit, Malaysian athletes may yet grace the world stage in football and other events.

The Government has given notice that it is going ahead with a plan to build a sports training centre in London.

The estimated cost of the centre is RM490 million. But this will be no ordinary centre.

It will be a place where our athletes are put through the grind and where they get to hone their skills playing against world-class teams. They will also learn at the feet of top coaches.

The plan is to turn them into truly professional athletes.

Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Azalina Othman said in Parliament yesterday that it had identified the Tun Abdul Razak Research Centre in Brickendonbury, England, as the site for the future high performance sports training centre.

In a written reply to a question from the DAP MP for Ipoh Timur, Lim Kit Siang, she said the sports complex would act as a short-term training centre and a "forward base" for national athletes who would compete in European tournaments.

She said apart from helping Malaysian athletes acclimatise to the weather, it would enable sports officials to have access to the expertise and technology of countries more advanced in sports.

"The Tun Abdul Razak Research Centre was chosen not only because it is in London, which is the gateway to other European countries, but also because it is located on government-owned land," she said.

She added that the centre would only be 24km from the 2012 London Olympics Sports Village.

Lim wanted to know if the Government would cancel its plans to build the sports training centre and use the money in a more productive way.

Azalina told the New Straits Times later that junior sports teams - including the football, squash and badminton teams - would train at this centre.

"Here, they will compete and learn sports skills in a more professional manner.

"It is easier to get top coaches from Europe to train our athletes in London than to get them to come to Malaysia."

She said the teams would get to play against top professional teams and reserve teams of top clubs in London.

"It will help build more resilient athletes who may be able to compete in a world setting in a better way."

Meanwhile, the Football Association of Malaysia is undertaking several long-term programmes to put the Malaysian team on the world map.

Work is under way to improve the Under-21 and Under-20 squads for the long term.

The Under-21 squad, which is handled by B. Sathianathan, is currently in South Africa for a three-match tour, while K. Rajagopal's Under-20 squad is in Brazil for a taste of samba in the Copa BHD Futebol Junior tournament.

The Under-20 squad has qualified for the final round of the Asian Youth Cup in Kolkata, India. The FAM also has development programmes at the grassroots - Tunas Bolasepak for the Under-12 age-group and Tunas Cemerlang for the Under-15 age group.

Complemented by the efforts of FAM, the experiment by the Sports Ministry may yet help a Malaysian team make it to the World Cup.
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Tue...icle/index_html

TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 11 2006, 11:10 AM

1,168 posts

i know the government will received a lot of backlash with this plan...its 1/2 a billion ringgits...thats a lot of money...a lot of money...
TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 13 2006, 02:13 PM

1,168 posts

for me its downright pathetic...we have bukit jalil already...ok, if that its not good enough, then can build another one...i understand...but why london? when everything is sooo expensive there? when we send our ppl there, gov will need to pay for their allowance...lagi mahal...

if wanna build overseas, build lah somewhere cheaper financially...i mean, why not in african countries...since they are doing soo well now in the world of sports...

this plan is just plain pathetic... vmad.gif
TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 13 2006, 05:05 PM

1,168 posts

believe it or not...i think the reason why and where they have the money to build the sports center:

Tax revenue to hit RM65b

The Government should have no problem coming out with the money to finance projects under the 9th Malaysia Plan (9MP) going by the steady increase in revenue collection by the Inland Revenue Board (IRB).

According to IRB chief executive Tan Sri Zainol Abidin Rashid, tax collections for 2006 should be anywhere between RM60bil and RM65bil.

"We are on target to hit the higher figure for 2006 judging by our performance during the first half of this year," he told a group of editors at a luncheon here yesterday.

Zainol said IRB collections had been growing at double digits in recent years.

He attributed this to a stable Malaysian economy and improved efficiency on the part of the IRB.

Last year, the IRB collected RM56.8bil in tax receipts, compared with around RM48bil in 2004.

Zainol said IRB collections accounted for about 45% of federal government revenue.

"Whoever said that the Government has no money to spend for the 9MP is either ignorant or not telling the truth. Tax revenue for the Government has been growing at a healthy level in recent years," he said.

In addition to higher IRB collection, the Government is also benefiting from higher royalties and dividends from Petronas due to high oil prices.

The Government has allocated RM200bil for development projects under the 9MP, excluding another RM20bil which would be financed by the private sector under the Private Finance Initiative programme. - The Star -
isnt that our money? sigh... vmad.gif pathetic man...

TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 14 2006, 09:13 AM

1,168 posts

QUOTE(goldfries @ Jul 14 2006, 01:30 AM)
this thread was up first i think...hehehe... laugh.gif

and i think we should discuss this from a sports prespectives la...not from the politics viewpoint, hence the reason why i put this here...
TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 14 2006, 02:29 PM

1,168 posts

reading everyone's feedback on this (and the public's opininons in the newspapers), i cant see anyone really supporting this sports center...the best i heard is that "the center is good for us, but.." always there is a "but"...hahahaha...
TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 14 2006, 06:09 PM

1,168 posts

QUOTE(scorgio @ Jul 14 2006, 06:06 PM)
Might as well use the money to build a 3rd link to Singapore. biggrin.gif
hahahaha...i couldnt agree more!

hahahahaha...

half a billion ringgit is a lot of money...to "waste" it on a sports complex...and the place where they planned to build is considered as heritage by the british...sigh...
TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 15 2006, 12:54 PM

1,168 posts

more local articles:

The RM490m question
By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: First, it was RM490mil. Now, the National Sports Council say they have no idea how much it will cost to have the proposed High Training Performance Centre (HTPC) in Brickendonbury in London.

Yesterday, the NSC director general Datuk Dr Ramlan Aziz refuted claims that the budget for the HTPC was RM490mil as reported by newspapers recently.

The huge sum to set up an elite centre of excellence in the 44-acre site, now used by the Rubber Research Institute, raised howls of protest.

However, Dr Ramlan said yesterday that RM490mil was only a speculative figure.

"No figure has been issued so far on this. Since the start of the plan, the RM490mil did not feature in any of our deliberations or decisions. Whatever has been stated so far is merely speculative and from other parties," Dr Ramlan told a special press conference to clear the air over the HTPC budget.

Asked why Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Azalina Othman Said had mentioned the RM490mil figure, Dr Ramlan said: "The figure was a mere speculation. In answering a question, the Minister said that even if it was RM490mil, it would span over 10 years.

"In fact, in a written reply by the Minister, it was stated that the actual cost for the said training centre has not been established. We are still at the early stages of analysis."

The HTPC is being proposed as a one-stop centre for local athletes to get international exposure. It will serve as a forward base for athletes before competitions in Europe.

"We value and respect the opinions and views from various quarters. We understand the public outcry. For us, too, RM490mil is certainly high and we will not spend that much." 

Asked for an estimate of the actual cost, Dr Ramlan said that they would not be able to come out with a figure until they finalise the best options in setting up the centre. 

Negotiations are now under way with the Tun Abdul Razak Research Centre, the British government and Rubber Research Institute (RRI). 

Dr Ramlan said all parties were supportive of the project.

"There are four stages in this project: feasibility study, design, construction, and completion. We are only at the first stage now," he said.

With a map of the TARRC facilities in front of him, Dr Ramlan explained that the government's ambitious project would bring more good than bad.

"We are always sensible, logical and practical. It will not be a big huge sports complex like the one here (in Bukit Jalil). The centre falls under a green belt area and that means we cannot just erect high buildings.

"The centre currently has an administrative building, lab building, staff quarters, canteen and kitchen facilities, a football field, a 10m swimming pool and a cricket oval. We only need to upgrade some of these.

"I remain convinced that this centre will do a world of good for Malaysian sport. We will not be the first in setting up such a centre. Australia have their excellence centre in Italy for their cyclists and rowers."

He added that their pilot team at the centre, the squash juniors, had given positive feedback. 

"The national junior squash team were the first to use the facilities in Brickendonbury when they competed in Cologne and Amsterdam. 

"They said the facilities available at the HPTC were useful as a run-up to the actual competitions."

The other sports expected to make use of the centre soon are the footballers and badminton players. 
user posted image

CONTENTIOUS SITE: An aerial view of the Tun Abdul Razak Research Centre in Brickendonbury, London.
TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 16 2006, 12:10 AM

1,168 posts

QUOTE(SiLv3R @ Jul 15 2006, 09:30 PM)
This project is totally pointless, if poor countries in africa can do so well in football, Malaysia oso can. We dont need such facility located so far away....
hahahha...NO ONE in the right frame of mind would think that this is a GOOD project...except to those in the gov la...

the main problem is that HOW do we get our point across lar...

i dont know why there are some ppl who actually thinks that this is a good project...sigh...does anyone in lyn thinks that this is a worthy investment?
TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 16 2006, 07:53 AM

1,168 posts

this is an article published in lim kit siang's blog (yes! he keeps a blog! laugh.gif ):

Freeze RM490 million Sports Centre off London - empire-building and overseas junkets
Time & Date: July 13, 2006 @ 11: 50.36

There is general consensus among Members of Parliament cutting across party lines questioning the merit and validity of the proposed RM490 million Sports Training Complex in Brickendonbury outside London.

All plans for the RM490 million Sports Training Centre outside London should be frozen until the Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Azalina Othman Said could convince Parliament and the sports community that it is not another extravagant empire-building bash only benefiting Sports Ministry officials for overseas junkets and that the money could not be better spent to raise and promote Malaysian sports standards and talents.

After Azalina's written answer to my question on Monday that the government will go ahead and build the RM490 million "high-performance sports training centre" in London, the Deputy Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Liow Tiong Lai claimed that the cost of the proposed sports centre in London had yet to be determined, that the matter was still under study and that the "RM490 million cost of the proposed project as alleged by Opposition Leader Lim Kit Siang did not come from the ministry". (Bernama 11.7.06)

Liow was corrected the very next day by the Minister when Azalina admitted ownership of the RM490 million costing, but clarified that it was only "a long-term estimated cost and not an allocation for it to be spent within this year" and that it was a long-term plan "which might take up to 10- years".

She said there are 14 squash players and 10 archers in Brickendonbury as "it will not be economical to shuttle them between Malaysia and Europe if they are to be involved in tournaments in the continent".

It is clear from these confused answers that there is total lack of openness, accountability and transparency in the proposed RM490 million high-performance sports training centre, as if the Minister and her officials have a lot to hide from public knowledge and scrutiny - reinforcing suspicion that the whole concept had been mooted not so much to raise sports standards and promote sports talents, but for empire-building as well as to create opportunities for overseas junkets by Sports Ministry officials.

Azalina should make public all details and costings, including a breakdown of the RM490 million estimates.
downright pathetic...any "patriotic" msian would want to say that msia need a rm490million "high-performance" center in london? hahahahaha...
TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 16 2006, 08:11 AM

1,168 posts

QUOTE(Austin123 @ Jul 16 2006, 08:08 AM)
wat an idiot.. but to build a sport center in london is juz a gimmick for rakyat to c.. they have a "money" plan behind the scene..  whistling.gif  whistling.gif
hahahaha...who is the idiot u are referring? kit siang? azalina?

from ur sig of "tak nak to proton", i cant see u very "keen" on the project huh? hahahahaha...

for me the project is just not right lar..just not right...
TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 17 2006, 04:56 PM

1,168 posts

QUOTE(+3kk! @ Jul 16 2006, 03:20 PM)
come on la, give the government some credit la........they are trying their best. what else we can use the money for? education? petrol sub? research? better infrastructure?
no all those dont work we are aready superb at it. we need something new to be good at, the sports center will be good. we can be proud of it for the 3 months after it completes.
QUOTE(c_calvin @ Jul 16 2006, 04:30 PM)
the money is definately not going to the drain
it's time for "some" people to earn money i think
so, both of u guys thinks that this project is good? i am doubtful but im always open for some 2cents...

the problem with this center is that most of malaysians dont think its a good plan...ppl are asking why london? just becos its nearer to the 2012 olympic village?that reason doesnt cut it out for me...does that makes us "better prepared"?

some other question is that why do we need a "high-performance" training center? why not here in kl, msia? then what is bukit jalil for?

all this questions needs to be answered...and the worst of the lot, is that ppl, the rakyat, will always think that this center will be some holiday place for high-ranking sports officials...

im not against it...but the questions...the questions needs to be clarified...
TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 20 2006, 12:06 PM

1,168 posts

eh eh...what happen to those who supported this plan...
TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 24 2006, 05:36 PM

1,168 posts

just read an article in the sun newspaper...they are going on with this project ..sigh....

when the gov took off the bridge plan to singapore, they said its becos most malaysians (the so-called rakyat) do not want it...

in this case, the rakyat do not want it...why are they still building it??? HAHAHAHAHA....one word: pathetic...
TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 29 2006, 09:52 AM

1,168 posts

QUOTE(battousai_yiting @ Jul 28 2006, 10:10 AM)
well what to do we are living in a community that is like that

anywayz its super dumb to build a sports centre there they can choose so many other locations

shit man malaysian footballers also loose to out neighbours still want to send them to UK and train ??!!??

haha i scared they all go there have practice session with any of the clubs they kena trash like hell then all malu to play liao

in the end the goverment would have wasted nearly 1 billion plus expenses and no results
hahaha...i know how pathetic it is...and most ppl are against this project...but the gov is still going on with it? sigh...
TSbrokenomerta
post Aug 1 2006, 04:43 PM

1,168 posts

its like now, everyone is not talking about this...so, i guess msian gov will senyap senyap just build the sports complex....hahahhaa...pathetic nya...hahahhaa...

edit: grammar error... sweat.gif

This post has been edited by brokenomerta: Aug 1 2006, 04:44 PM
TSbrokenomerta
post Aug 4 2006, 11:16 AM

1,168 posts

QUOTE(shamnemesis @ Aug 3 2006, 04:16 AM)
i definitely believe that it is not necessary to build high-tech sports training centre ..it's another crazy idea and definite waste of money ... and now see what happened ... finally canceled ...
canceled? is it? anywhere to get the news?
TSbrokenomerta
post Aug 5 2006, 05:08 PM

1,168 posts

yeah...but no one is giving out the "real" news info whether this project is canceled or not...if anyone does have this "real" info, kindly post the link up in this thread...
TSbrokenomerta
post Aug 8 2006, 11:05 AM

1,168 posts

i think i overheard in a radio station news today that this project has now been canceled...im not soo sure (cos frustrated of traffic jams! hahahah), so if anyone who knows for sure, kindly inform all of us...
TSbrokenomerta
post Aug 11 2006, 01:51 PM

1,168 posts

QUOTE(zx12 @ Aug 8 2006, 05:38 PM)
so.. is it true that the project has been canceled?.. any links?
i could not find any "official" article or news that this project is canceled...anyone can find it? well, maybe i am just not trying hard enough... tongue.gif hahahahhaa... laugh.gif

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0191sec    0.23    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:38 AM