Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> A RM490 MILLION Sports Training Centre in London, ...and government is going ahead with it

views

TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 11 2006, 10:44 AM, updated 16y ago

Current Toy: MacBook Pro 13 2013
1,168 posts

please read this and tell me what are your opinions on this matter:

Raising our game
Concrete plan for World Cup dreams

11 Jul 2006

KUALA LUMPUR: Will Malaysia ever play in football's World Cup Finals? World Cup 2006 rekindled the hopes of many Malaysians that one day the country will make it to world-class tournaments.

At present, the country excels in only a handful of sports: badminton, squash and bowling among them.

If an ambitious plan by the Government bears fruit, Malaysian athletes may yet grace the world stage in football and other events.

The Government has given notice that it is going ahead with a plan to build a sports training centre in London.

The estimated cost of the centre is RM490 million. But this will be no ordinary centre.

It will be a place where our athletes are put through the grind and where they get to hone their skills playing against world-class teams. They will also learn at the feet of top coaches.

The plan is to turn them into truly professional athletes.

Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Azalina Othman said in Parliament yesterday that it had identified the Tun Abdul Razak Research Centre in Brickendonbury, England, as the site for the future high performance sports training centre.

In a written reply to a question from the DAP MP for Ipoh Timur, Lim Kit Siang, she said the sports complex would act as a short-term training centre and a "forward base" for national athletes who would compete in European tournaments.

She said apart from helping Malaysian athletes acclimatise to the weather, it would enable sports officials to have access to the expertise and technology of countries more advanced in sports.

"The Tun Abdul Razak Research Centre was chosen not only because it is in London, which is the gateway to other European countries, but also because it is located on government-owned land," she said.

She added that the centre would only be 24km from the 2012 London Olympics Sports Village.

Lim wanted to know if the Government would cancel its plans to build the sports training centre and use the money in a more productive way.

Azalina told the New Straits Times later that junior sports teams - including the football, squash and badminton teams - would train at this centre.

"Here, they will compete and learn sports skills in a more professional manner.

"It is easier to get top coaches from Europe to train our athletes in London than to get them to come to Malaysia."

She said the teams would get to play against top professional teams and reserve teams of top clubs in London.

"It will help build more resilient athletes who may be able to compete in a world setting in a better way."

Meanwhile, the Football Association of Malaysia is undertaking several long-term programmes to put the Malaysian team on the world map.

Work is under way to improve the Under-21 and Under-20 squads for the long term.

The Under-21 squad, which is handled by B. Sathianathan, is currently in South Africa for a three-match tour, while K. Rajagopal's Under-20 squad is in Brazil for a taste of samba in the Copa BHD Futebol Junior tournament.

The Under-20 squad has qualified for the final round of the Asian Youth Cup in Kolkata, India. The FAM also has development programmes at the grassroots - Tunas Bolasepak for the Under-12 age-group and Tunas Cemerlang for the Under-15 age group.

Complemented by the efforts of FAM, the experiment by the Sports Ministry may yet help a Malaysian team make it to the World Cup.
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Tue...icle/index_html

thefryingfox
post Jul 11 2006, 10:56 AM

Lonely Maharajah
5,165 posts

490 million can be used for shitload of other stuff....like.....eliminating poverty than to waste your time in the world cup which only last for 1 month

cmon la....i just dont get this whole thing....we arent as advanced as the japanese and the koreans........why dont we just use that money for a better cause.
ed0gawa
post Jul 11 2006, 11:00 AM

coconut
4,397 posts

For the pride of the country?
They gonna waste more money on useless and fruitless stuff again..

:respect their brain and thinking:
demio121
post Jul 11 2006, 11:06 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,084 posts

fox put it nicely... 490 million can be used for shitload of other stuff.

That is half a billion Ringgit to the drain. The Government really think building a training center will produce world class athletes....!!!

Total waste of money. We don't need a training center half way around the world. We need professinal to manage these sports. Take away all the politicians and royalties from those sport association and we will start to flourish.

One example.... look at football in this country. With the current state of FAM, the Government expect the London center to take us to world cup???
TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 11 2006, 11:10 AM

1,168 posts

i know the government will received a lot of backlash with this plan...its 1/2 a billion ringgits...thats a lot of money...a lot of money...
whoopa
post Jul 11 2006, 11:13 AM

b~o~b~o
7,114 posts

ahahaha ...... send them over there and be gangster saem thing happeing in tat bukit jalil sport academy lol
demio121
post Jul 12 2006, 10:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,084 posts

Most people interviewed by The Star said the center is too expensive.

scorgio
post Jul 12 2006, 03:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,373 posts

Most Govt Officials (including our beloved Ministers) know only how to spend money, for the sake of personal interest.

Not enough money = reduce subsidies + increase tariff of utilities.

It seems that it's the only way for them to show that they are doing something.
mainFrame
post Jul 13 2006, 01:34 PM

Enthusiast
886 posts

i wonder how Kenya can produce top world athletes eventho the country is poor than ours, i wonder how Togo could compete in the World Cup 2006 when their country is poor than ours. i dont think they have so called world class highly expensive facilities overseas to achieve that.

looks like more of our money gone into the drain. mad.gif vmad.gif
TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 13 2006, 02:13 PM

1,168 posts

for me its downright pathetic...we have bukit jalil already...ok, if that its not good enough, then can build another one...i understand...but why london? when everything is sooo expensive there? when we send our ppl there, gov will need to pay for their allowance...lagi mahal...

if wanna build overseas, build lah somewhere cheaper financially...i mean, why not in african countries...since they are doing soo well now in the world of sports...

this plan is just plain pathetic... vmad.gif
TSbrokenomerta
post Jul 13 2006, 05:05 PM

1,168 posts

believe it or not...i think the reason why and where they have the money to build the sports center:

Tax revenue to hit RM65b

The Government should have no problem coming out with the money to finance projects under the 9th Malaysia Plan (9MP) going by the steady increase in revenue collection by the Inland Revenue Board (IRB).

According to IRB chief executive Tan Sri Zainol Abidin Rashid, tax collections for 2006 should be anywhere between RM60bil and RM65bil.

"We are on target to hit the higher figure for 2006 judging by our performance during the first half of this year," he told a group of editors at a luncheon here yesterday.

Zainol said IRB collections had been growing at double digits in recent years.

He attributed this to a stable Malaysian economy and improved efficiency on the part of the IRB.

Last year, the IRB collected RM56.8bil in tax receipts, compared with around RM48bil in 2004.

Zainol said IRB collections accounted for about 45% of federal government revenue.

"Whoever said that the Government has no money to spend for the 9MP is either ignorant or not telling the truth. Tax revenue for the Government has been growing at a healthy level in recent years," he said.

In addition to higher IRB collection, the Government is also benefiting from higher royalties and dividends from Petronas due to high oil prices.

The Government has allocated RM200bil for development projects under the 9MP, excluding another RM20bil which would be financed by the private sector under the Private Finance Initiative programme. - The Star -
isnt that our money? sigh... vmad.gif pathetic man...

=--ChoonG->>
post Jul 13 2006, 11:10 PM

On my way
567 posts

Our money :'(
Please use it to save the needy children and the animals... :'(
scorgio
post Jul 14 2006, 12:06 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,373 posts

QUOTE(=--ChoonG->> @ Jul 13 2006, 11:10 PM)
Our money :'(
Please use it to save the needy children and the animals... :'(
And the poor, if I may add.

Apparently, they still intend to proceed with the project.

Azalina is downright stupid.
scorgio
post Jul 14 2006, 12:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,373 posts

And another thing, if they really want to build a Sports Training Centre.

Why not build it in China?

China won 3 times more gold medals than England at the Olympics.

And the exchange rate is RM1 = RMB2.
While England is 1 = RM6.7 at the moment.

Btw, never heard that the Russians, Germans, Swedish, Italians etc need to train at warm countries to prepare themselves for Summer Olympics.

Also never heard runners from Kenya, Morrocco etc need to train at the Alps for their respective events.
cloudwan
post Jul 14 2006, 12:22 AM

- Knob -
8,370 posts

Wasting money ar... Just like all the times they waste money by trying to improve our athletes by sending them training abroad n when they came back the result is much worse (eg bowling, badminton)... I dont really think our football players reached that level of performance for us to spend a bootload of money on em... Just look at them playing in malaysia cup, liga super... playing like when we were small at school playing soccer during P.E... Muahahaaha... I really believe they need to level up first in our own country, just look at other countries like togo, coasta rica or whatsoever they didnt improve themselves by sending their players on such an expensive training first hand... Just my 2 cents ar...
goldfries
post Jul 14 2006, 01:30 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,374 posts

refer to here
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=312647
sqwerk2
post Jul 14 2006, 01:38 AM

The Big One
1,799 posts

and i thought changing the sports minister would do some good, but hey, they are just that dumb aren't they?
scorgio
post Jul 14 2006, 02:00 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,373 posts

M'sian players are spoilt lah.

And I heard this myself. Some excuses from members of a losing team (under-18).

The complaint was, the match was played outdoor.
While they are used to train at indoor arena.

What the heck?
scorgio
post Jul 14 2006, 02:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,373 posts

QUOTE(sqwerk2 @ Jul 14 2006, 01:38 AM)
and i thought changing the sports minister would do some good, but hey, they are just that dumb aren't they?
no knowledge on the field.
no knowledge about youth & sports.
no COMMON SENSE.

They all being brought up from the same background ah?? Ivory Kampung?
Siow
post Jul 14 2006, 02:49 AM

Getting Started
259 posts

Money down the drain i supposed. An expensive drain at that. sad case. sad.gif no hope liao la...

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0262sec    0.50    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th May 2022 - 07:44 PM