Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Thinking about changing pickups, need suggestions!, HELP

views

TSnabzblitz
post Jul 7 2017, 10:23 AM

Gangsta Crizzab
607 posts

QUOTE(quarantined @ Jul 6 2017, 10:46 PM)
warning.. bucket of cold water ahead..

honestly if your intention is to use a software rig, forget about it. Unless the pickups you're using now are total muddy crap, most software processing wouldn't show the nuances of pickups as much as real amps do. You're better off tweaking the gazillion number of options in the software instead. If you're using real amps recording, or playing live, that's another story.

I also didn't have a good experience changing pickups in a agathis guitar, it was an LTD horizon model, and yes it was bland like a basswood no wonder which pickup i put into it (tried JB, Custom 5, Custom --> gave up) tongue.gif

the switch would not be an issue, just thst with 5 ways you can wire with more options. But you can use push pull pots instead etc.

cover fit should be no problem.

this is by no means to put you off buying the pickup you desire. It it doesnt work for you you can always swap the pups into another guitar, sell them, go for trades... etc
Thanks for your input! I think you made some good points there. My current pups can be quite muddy right now, especially the neck. I think what annoys me the most is that at mid gain and higher, the higher notes tend to get drowned out when I play a chord.

But glad to know I won't need to do some extensive modding even if i want to switch out my pups, since you're saying that fit isn't a problem and putting it on a 3 way switch is fine.
quarantined
post Jul 7 2017, 12:36 PM

Create Not Imitate
3,390 posts

QUOTE(nabzblitz @ Jul 7 2017, 10:23 AM)
But glad to know I won't need to do some extensive modding even if i want to switch out my pups, since you're saying that fit isn't a problem and putting it on a 3 way switch is fine.
There is always some element of risk, for example your pickup routing could be too small.. etc. But LTDs I think should be pretty standard la.. not like some cikai brand.

Dimarzios usually have short triangle legs so they fit most routing, but their 7 string pups can be larger than some routes.

Duncan have square, sometimes long legs.. those you need to be careful to see if your guitar fits..

Also I thought to djent you need to tune down really really low? Strings and setup is another whole issue bro... Zzzz
TSnabzblitz
post Jul 10 2017, 11:08 AM

Gangsta Crizzab
607 posts

QUOTE(quarantined @ Jul 7 2017, 12:36 PM)
There is always some element of risk, for example your pickup routing could be too small.. etc. But LTDs I think should be pretty standard la.. not like some cikai brand.

Dimarzios usually have short triangle legs so they fit most routing, but their 7 string pups can be larger than some routes.

Duncan have square, sometimes long legs.. those you need to be careful to see if your guitar fits..

Also I thought to djent you need to tune down really really low? Strings and setup is another whole issue bro... Zzzz
I see.

Yup right now my guitar is tuned to drop B. Then again, the band Intervals are also kinda djenty, and they use standard tuning haha.

This post has been edited by nabzblitz: Jul 10 2017, 11:09 AM
SUSTham
post Jul 16 2017, 12:09 AM

Regular
1,576 posts

As I had posted here some time ago, I took out Nordin's (Search, second lead) pickups from his Aria Pro Flying V and put them in this guy's Ibanez RS 225, basswood body. That is the cheapest in the Roadstar series in the mid- 80s.

He ended up sounding like Zakk Wylde on "Mr Crowley" .

They are Matsumoku MMK45s, the twin blade pickups in their "Knight Warrior" series of the mid- 80s.

The blades are actually covers.

https://m.alibaba.com/guide/shop/mmk-45-pic...ol_9631969.html

http://www.myrareguitars.com/vintage-1985-...electric-guitar

This post has been edited by Tham: Jul 16 2017, 01:28 AM
quarantined
post Jul 17 2017, 04:03 PM

Create Not Imitate
3,390 posts

QUOTE(Tham @ Jul 16 2017, 12:09 AM)
As I had posted here some time ago, I took out Nordin's (Search, second lead) pickups from his Aria Pro Flying V and put them in this guy's Ibanez RS 225, basswood body. That is the cheapest in the Roadstar series in the mid- 80s.

He ended up sounding like Zakk Wylde on "Mr Crowley" .

I used to have a Roadstar 135, probably an even lower model?

Sure didn't feels cheap though not like the budget guitars in the 90s.
SUSTham
post Jul 18 2017, 07:58 AM

Regular
1,576 posts

QUOTE(quarantined @ Jul 17 2017, 08:03 AM)
I used to have a Roadstar 135, probably an even lower model?

Sure didn't feels cheap though not like the budget guitars in the 90s.
Yes, that RS225 was actually fairly heavy and solid, much
more than alder or the cheap China or Korean guitars in the 90s
and these days.

Basswood is a good wood.

Moreover, the upper rear part, where it rests against your body,
was not cut away like most electrics today, so it had more wood.

He had bought it used for $300 from some young guitarist in
a Chinese band.

I don't know why he sold it off later together with the MMK45 pickups.

The DC resistance of these pickups are only 11 kohms, giving a
low-medium output. This was why it sounded very clean, yet heavy
and dynamic.

Pickups with DC resistance of 13 kohms and above like most of
the usual "high output" ones (DiMarzio Super Distortion, Seymour
Duncan JB, etc) have too high an output, and thus sound dirty and
too overdriven when going into a distortion effect.

This post has been edited by Tham: Jul 18 2017, 08:23 AM
puffyballzzz
post Sep 28 2017, 06:07 PM

Getting Started
97 posts

go for emg's mate!
pleasuresaurus
post Oct 4 2017, 11:00 AM

spin spin sugar
2,574 posts

Its been 3 years di mah, time to get new axe di biggrin.gif find one with an SD JB/Jazz, Dimarzio Liquifire/Crunchlab or some such. Even EMG 81/85, although I'm not a fan of actives meself. These are workhorse pickups, they are often found installed stock, deliver decent quality sound for almost any genre. There was a guy last time selling Tesla pickups, they sounded really good in audio clips and had a great price factor, but for the life of me I can't find anyone selling them anymore.

I myself own a SD Invader - its waaaay too hot, and coming from a metal buff like me its saying a lot sweat.gif . Even on clean, its crunchy as KFC.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.38    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:34 PM