Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Going to try IVF

views

Nitrous
post Mar 31 2014, 12:14 PM

Getting Started
202 posts

Long post...

QUOTE(megane5439 @ Mar 31 2014, 09:57 AM)
Hi, me and my husband planning to do our IVF with Dr Helena also. I also hope she can really help us on this. My problem is my two fallopian is block too. So seem alot of people here are said Dr Helena is good. So i hope i really choose a correct doctor n fertility center then. Any idea how to prepare our self before proceed to IVF?

Now i really worried my 1st ivf will fail as financial are tied after this. Good to hear that some of you are success in IVF. Happy to hear that.

Thanks
Hope I can help, since me and my wife have been through it twice now. Based on our experience of years of survey (started looking since 2012) and 2 failed rounds, Dr Helena is our best choice so far (our personal opinion only). One main criteria is that Dr Helena can speak Chinese to my wife, as she is not comfortable with English. She is also very very caring, and being a woman herself, understands the predicaments that we are going through. However, with that said, your "mileage" may vary since the queue to her clinic is not short by any measure.
One tip, Dr Helena always say, having a successful pregnancy in IVF is like having an exam, if you are not prepared, you are bound to fail, which I do have to agree wholeheartedly with her. Do your homework, prepare you and your wife's own physical and mental health first (healthy, all immunization is done, folic acid, Vitamin D + Calcium sufficient, thalassemia tested, no STD or hepatitis, reduce caffeine intake etc etc), and ensure that a full diagnosis is done first before jumping into the IVF procedure (blocked tubes, hyperactive immune system, uterus lining, sperm issues?). If Dr Helena wants to do further tests, please do follow her advise.
Just a tip which many do not know, KL Fertility have occasional IVF preparation/information talk, this is a good place to get more info and have a short talk with the embryologist and doctors, and have a short tour of the facilities. It is a great place to start, and can put your mind at ease on what to prepare for the IVF. Call them up to see if you can get into one of them... there might be a surprise waiting for you guys there brows.gif

QUOTE(megane5439 @ Mar 31 2014, 10:01 AM)
Hi, any idea how much the cost for IVF at KL Fertility under Dr Helena? I afraid can't get a good quality. If you got an extra good egg frozen atleast the 2nd time IVF wont cost you about 15k right?

Thanks
For IVF, it is about RM15k but it has increased since (cashier have a notice about cost increase recently in March 2014). Note that the RM15K is only until first fresh transfer of embryos, anything besides that require more $$. For example, if you have extra embryos to be frozen (very likely you will have extra, you are not going to throw away those embryos right?), it will cost more $$ (I think about 2K per year) to freeze them. RM15k also does not cover any diagnosis or tests that needs to be done prior to starting IVF (but covers consultations during the IVF process). It also does not cover additional supplements that your wife or you need to take to boost egg/sperm production if required. Lastly, any deviation from the standard IVF procedure also require $$, for example:
1) ICSI step cost additional $$
2) laser assisted hatching too (if required)
3) Uterine scratching process
4) Baby aspirin
5) Folic Acid
6) dan lain-lain... smile.gif
Sad to say, if you only have RM15K to do IVF, it may not be sufficient to carry on the whole process.

However, extra embryos which were frozen can be re-thawed at a later date, and also will be cheaper to put back, about RM3-4k per round, and this continues until you use up all the frozen embryos. Then the whole process starts over again.

You mean good quality eggs or embryos? Usually embryos that are medium to good quality are frozen, as low grade ones will not survive the freezing and thawing. If you are worried about the eggs quality, and if you are going to KL fertility, I suggest to pay a visit to next door Xi Fertility TCM center, they are Chinese herbalist and acupuncturist specializing on fertility. Dr Helena can only western-styled medicine and advise on supplements to improve the egg quality, but Xi Fertility uses Chinese medicine to "re-tune" back the body to produce better quality eggs. My wife went to both, to get the best of both worlds. Your file can be moved between KL Fertility and Xi Fertility, thus Dr Yuan (from Xi Fertility, she is a certified gynae, but practicing Chinese medicine) can assess what are the improvements required (based on ultrasound imaging and Dr Helena's notes) and act upon them from Chinese medicine perspective. Go google on acupuncture/TCM with IVF process, you can learn more on them.

Good luck to all!
duhdude
post Mar 31 2014, 06:32 PM

Getting Started
275 posts

Their package is 17k up to blood test to confirm pregnancy. Storage fee is another cost. I spend almost 25k to conceived. This included pre ivf package kind testing and consulation, ivf fresh cycle 17k, embryo storage fee and frozen embryo transfer 3.5k

megane5439
post Apr 1 2014, 11:01 AM

Getting Started
92 posts

QUOTE(duhdude @ Mar 31 2014, 07:32 PM)
Their package is 17k up to blood test to confirm pregnancy. Storage fee is another cost. I spend almost 25k to conceived. This included pre ivf package kind testing and consulation, ivf fresh cycle 17k, embryo storage fee and frozen embryo transfer 3.5k
Hi, 17k is normal package? 25k so much? 25k to spent is for 1st time?
shleesy
post Apr 1 2014, 05:49 PM

10 posts

Agreed with Nitrous on the reasons not to share with others. No one will understand what IVF is until they go through it themselves (not that I wish it upon on anyone else)

I am currently undergoing my 1st IVF procedure now with Dr. Wong from SMC.
Quite anxious & excited that my ET will be carry out in 2 days time. And to find out the result in 2 weeks time.

The IVF will cost approximately RM15,500 (inclusive of all injections plus supplement to support the procedure). Storage of FE is free for the 1st 3 month and will cost RM1k for a year. FET will cost RM4.8k

I don't include any blood test/health screening cost as it is paid for by the company & part of my annual checkup.
duhdude
post Apr 1 2014, 09:08 PM

Getting Started
275 posts

Agreed to Shleesy and nitrous. One of colleague who believe natural conceive and she is lucky to has own baby based on her planning, advise me not to do ivf because baby would not feel warm and love from daddy and mommy. She even said those hormone injection may cause cancer to mother, why we still wanna to try out. I was so angry, No one will pour hard earn money and roller coaster emotion if can conceive naturally. Just another point to add: be prepare at least rm25k before start do ivf. Reason is not everyone success in first ivf. I already prepared 2 trial before I start ivf process. I feel sad when I failed for first round but I proceed second round after rest one period cycle.

This post has been edited by duhdude: Apr 1 2014, 09:15 PM
duhdude
post Apr 1 2014, 09:18 PM

Getting Started
275 posts

QUOTE(megane5439 @ Apr 1 2014, 11:01 AM)
Hi, 17k is normal package? 25k so much? 25k to spent is for 1st time?
I do 2 time, first is ivf second round is fet. Ivf package is 17k, frozen embryo cost 1.8k and frozen embryo transfer cost 3.5k and consultation/blood test prior start ivf. If you have extra embryo to freeze, you just need to pay storage fee and embryo transfer fee for next trial. I pray so hard wish to have good quality and extra embryo to freeze so I no need to spend another 17k.

This post has been edited by duhdude: Apr 1 2014, 09:21 PM
duhdude
post Apr 1 2014, 09:23 PM

Getting Started
275 posts

QUOTE(shleesy @ Apr 1 2014, 05:49 PM)
Agreed with Nitrous on the reasons not to share with others. No one will understand what IVF is until they go through it themselves (not that I wish it upon on anyone else)

I am currently undergoing my 1st IVF procedure now with Dr. Wong from SMC.
Quite anxious & excited that my ET will be carry out in 2 days time. And to find out the result in 2 weeks time.

The IVF will cost approximately RM15,500 (inclusive of all injections plus supplement to support the procedure). Storage of FE is free for the 1st 3 month and will cost RM1k for a year. FET will cost RM4.8k

I don't include any blood test/health screening cost as it is paid for by the company & part of my annual checkup.
SMC cost is cheaper than kl fertility. The bad thing is dr Wong too busy and always long waiting time. My friend suceess to conceived for her first ivf under dr Wong.
megane5439
post Apr 2 2014, 10:39 AM

Getting Started
92 posts

QUOTE(duhdude @ Apr 1 2014, 10:18 PM)
I do 2 time, first is ivf second round is fet. Ivf package is 17k, frozen embryo cost 1.8k and frozen embryo transfer cost 3.5k and consultation/blood test prior start ivf. If you have extra embryo to freeze, you just need to pay storage fee and embryo transfer fee for next trial. I pray so hard wish to have good quality and extra embryo to freeze so I no need to spend another 17k.
Hi, yes agree with you. Wish you good luck and wish to hear good news from you soon. cheers. Keep us posted how your IVF. Hmm...me planning to do it on June. Let my chinese doctor check and see if i still not ready yet maybe will postpone it to July or August.

megane5439
post Apr 2 2014, 10:41 AM

Getting Started
92 posts

QUOTE(duhdude @ Apr 1 2014, 10:23 PM)
SMC cost is cheaper than kl fertility. The bad thing is dr Wong too busy and always long waiting time. My friend suceess to conceived for her first ivf under dr Wong.
Hi, i heard Dr Tee Metro is good. But his schedule also quite pack so abit difficult to make appointment. Yes, agree KL Fertility is expensive but hope Dr Helena is good.
TSwaters
post Apr 4 2014, 03:15 PM

Getting Started
271 posts

QUOTE(Nitrous @ Mar 29 2014, 10:54 PM)
1. First IVF, I was 35 and she was 34. Just a FYI, the reason why we went for IVF was because wife had both her fallopian tubes blocked, hence no other method besides IVF to get pregnant. But as noted earlier, we have gone through 2 failed rounds, hence we are thinking there are more than meets the eye (literally).
2. Round 1 : Sunfert around 30k-ish, including freezing of remaining embryo and a day-care surgery to remove some polyps.
Round 2 : KL Fertility and Xi TCM Fertility Center (they work together, one Western medicine and one Chinese medicine), 25k-ish and adding up, excluding upcoming FET (Frozen Embryo Transfer) to transfer the remaining frozen embryo at a later date.
Total to date (more to come) : 55k with some spare change to pump petrol and parking, so be prepared...
3. So far my wife has been good throughout the IVF process. Not all women gets hot flashes. She did shed a tear though, when the pregnancy test results came about... so be strong, and encourage her. Speak to those who have gone through the experience, that would help a lot sometimes...
4. No. A few reason to keep it a secret :
4.1 They do not understand the process and what is going on, and will probably insult you for going through that process ("Why do u spend do much on it? Just go for a break la! Don't work so hard." or "SEE! Told you to marry the other women")
4.2 Without realizing themselves, they are actually a burden and a source of stress to your wife during the process. You and your wife needs a quiet time to go through this peacefully, not yapping or nitpicking aunts and mothers... Imagine if the IVF process fails, you'd need to answer to them too, in which the answer probably be "I don't know".
4.3 Further repercussion later on when the baby is born. I know coz I have cousins conceived via IVF, and they nicknamed her the "million-dollar baby". That is something that your kid had to go through unfortunately if they were to know.
5. Don't expect any answers from them. With 2 failed rounds, both doctors are unable to fully diagnose why it has failed (refer to 4.2 as well), although KL Fertility was better managing our expectations by helping us analyze where they think has gone wrong (and next steps to overcome them). There are still powers-to-be which controls human's destiny, and it does not come from the doctor's room or the operating table.

Good luck in your journey.. and all the best to both of you
QUOTE(abcde90 @ Mar 30 2014, 09:51 AM)
For couples who are still trying to conceive Keep ur chin up.

And may all of you be blessed with beautiful and healthy babies.
QUOTE(megane5439 @ Mar 31 2014, 09:57 AM)
Hi, me and my husband planning to do our IVF with Dr Helena also. I also hope she can really help us on this. My problem is my two fallopian is block too. So seem alot of people here are said Dr Helena is good. So i hope i really choose a correct doctor n fertility center then. Any idea how to prepare our self before proceed to IVF?

Now i really worried my 1st ivf will fail as financial are tied after this. Good to hear that some of you are success in IVF. Happy to hear that.

Thanks
Thank you all for your kind words.

Megane5439,
My wife and I have only met 2 doctors, Dr. Menon and Dr. Leong (Alpha Fertility). Both are excellent, however Dr. Menon does not do IVF anymore. I can't say for anyone else, but I'm sure all of them are exceptional in their fields! Go with any doctor whom you feel comfortable asking questions to.

If you are thinking of doing IVF, usually the hospitals would have IVF counselling, ask anything there. No holds barred! Mentally, I guess you would need to be prepared to do more than 1 round of IVF. Always hope for the best, though. You will start having sleepless nights thinking about "will it work?", "what if it doesn't?", "It's going to be very expensive", "how do we keep our spirits up?". I know, currently going through that.

Meditation, prayer, being around friends and even focusing your energy on your work or any other activities does help, albeit temporarily. Just remember, once it works, looking back 1 or 2 years, it would all be worth it.

Stay positive and happy always!

Nitrous,

Thank you for your advice, it couldn't be truer! Families can be really toxic at times, I can totally relate. My wife shed a tear when we read that your IVF cycles didn't work, we wish you all the luck in the world for the next.
We'll be starting our first cycle on the 15th, so we're nervous, hopeful and scared.

We'll update more once we start.

megane5439
post Apr 5 2014, 09:04 PM

Getting Started
92 posts

QUOTE(waters @ Apr 4 2014, 04:15 PM)
Thank you all for your kind words.

Megane5439,
My wife and I have only met 2 doctors, Dr. Menon and Dr. Leong (Alpha Fertility). Both are excellent, however Dr. Menon does not do IVF anymore. I can't say for anyone else, but I'm sure all of them are exceptional in their fields! Go with any doctor whom you feel comfortable asking questions to.

If you are thinking of doing IVF, usually the hospitals would have IVF counselling, ask anything there. No holds barred! Mentally, I guess you would need to be prepared to do more than 1 round of IVF. Always hope for the best, though. You will start having sleepless nights thinking about "will it work?", "what if it doesn't?", "It's going to be very expensive", "how do we keep our spirits up?". I know, currently going through that.

Meditation, prayer, being around friends  and even focusing your energy on your work or any other activities does help, albeit temporarily. Just remember, once it works, looking back 1 or 2 years, it would all be worth it.

Stay positive and happy always!

Nitrous,

Thank you for your advice, it couldn't be truer! Families can be really toxic at times, I can totally relate. My wife shed a tear when we read that your IVF cycles didn't work, we wish you all the luck in the world for the next.
We'll be starting our first cycle on the 15th, so we're nervous, hopeful and scared.

We'll update more once we start.
Thanks for the advise and i will get prepare myself 1st for this two month. And if ready i will go do it by June. Yes, i will try to relax.
shleesy
post Apr 8 2014, 04:48 PM

10 posts

The emotional roller coaster ride could break one spirit down, so please be prepared.

I was supposed to have my ET done last week, but it got canceled on the morning because none of the 18 fertilized eggs grow to the ideal cell count. (Ideally 8c)

Am I devastated? Not really. Perhaps it's because I've a very supportive partner & I'll bounce back soon and eventually find the next path.

May those who plan/undergoing IVF have your baby dream realize very soon.
abubin
post Apr 8 2014, 06:16 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

anyone consulted with raja bomoh? Maybe he can help with his skilled sampan ceremony? LOL....

If still fail...don't give up. Adoption is another alternative that is viable. Just make sure don't buy baby illegally.
megane5439
post Apr 9 2014, 09:41 AM

Getting Started
92 posts

Hi all, what blood test normally doctor will ask to do before heading to IVF journey? Vitamin D i know it a must. How about LH & FSH and other hormonal test? Insulin and etc ... any advised on this for those already go through their IVF.

Thanks
shleesy
post Apr 9 2014, 04:40 PM

10 posts

QUOTE(megane5439 @ Apr 9 2014, 09:41 AM)
Hi all, what blood test normally doctor will ask to do before heading to IVF journey? Vitamin D i know it a must. How about LH & FSH and other hormonal test? Insulin and etc ... any advised on this for those already go through their IVF.

Thanks
The most recent blood test requested by my doc before the IVF.

Full blood count
Blood group
HIV 1 & 2
Hepatitis B
VDRL (STD)

But then again, your doctor may require more as I've underwent laparoscopy surgery with the same doctor before, so there is no need to test on FSH & LH.
Nitrous
post Apr 10 2014, 11:56 AM

Getting Started
202 posts

QUOTE(megane5439 @ Apr 9 2014, 09:41 AM)

Thanks
For husband are mainly :
Blood group
HIV 1 & 2
Hepatitis B
VDRL (STD)
as mentioned by shleesy earlier... biggrin.gif

For wife :
Blood group
HIV 1 & 2
Hepatitis B
VDRL (STD)
Vitamin D/folic acid?
Antinuclear antibody & Lupus marker (need to be sent to Australia)
Insulin resistance
LH & FSH (2nd day and prior to transfer)

Think that's about it, will add if I remember them.... there are some costs involved in these tests, which are outside of the bundled price, thus be aware of this...

This post has been edited by Nitrous: Apr 10 2014, 11:57 AM
slyren00
post Apr 11 2014, 01:50 AM

Getting Started
153 posts

Another good doctor for IVF, Dr.Eeson from Pantai Medical. Very caring and understanding doctor. Takes extra effort to ensure all is good.
megane5439
post Apr 23 2014, 02:57 PM

Getting Started
92 posts

Hi all,

If period is not stable is it not suitable to proceed IVF? As my period is some kind of confusing. As we do IVF need to go visit the doctor on day 2 right? The problem is if period not stable we don't know which day is day 2.
Nitrous
post Apr 23 2014, 07:56 PM

Getting Started
202 posts

QUOTE(megane5439 @ Apr 23 2014, 02:57 PM)
Hi all,

If period is not stable is it not suitable to proceed IVF? As my period is some kind of confusing. As we do IVF need to go visit the doctor on day 2 right? The problem is if period not stable we don't know which day is day 2.
Unstable as in like you don't know which is Day 1 or Day 2?
Sorry, can't help here as this is out of my knowledge area for IVF, my wife always know when Day 1 is (I always assumed women will know this biggrin.gif something to do with using a different kind of sanitary pads, but that is just the lame old me).
Yes, you would need to go to visit the doc on Day 2, to scan for availability of the eggs for that month (the doc would estimate the no of eggs to be produced). Try to check with the gynae for her advise.
Good Luck in your IVF!

This post has been edited by Nitrous: Apr 23 2014, 07:57 PM
shleesy
post Apr 23 2014, 11:40 PM

10 posts

QUOTE(megane5439 @ Apr 23 2014, 02:57 PM)
Hi all,

For IVF, the rule of thumb is call & make appointment on Day 1 of your period. (Note: Heavy menses, spotting is not consider Day 1 of period.) Nobody expect you to make your appointment 1-month in advance.

The doctor/ nurse will then schedule to see you on Day 2/3.

Anyway, irregular period could be due to PCOS. You will have the option to perform laparoscopic surgery (then try naturally) or proceed to IVF, depending on how serious your condition is.

22 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0219sec    0.65    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:21 PM