Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Windows 8 Pro License Question for Company Laptops, Windows 8 License Difference

views

TSplague2007
post Jan 16 2014, 11:15 AM, updated 11y ago

Getting Started
54 posts

Hi,

I am looking for someone who can assist me in clearing up the confusion. I was recently asked to install Windows 8 for company laptops. I had a few licenses I have purchased before (from Microsoft) so I used those licenses in the laptops.

Recently I had a chat with someone online who told me that BSA does not like it if we don't have the retail box of Windows 8. Is this true? Will it be a problem and did I waste my license on all the laptops that is going to have problems with BSA?

I personally didn't see any problem since the licenses are validated and genuine. Not cracked.

I was wondering if I should buy more licenses like that for other office laptops in the way I did before (through offers and deals) or if I am forced to get Retail packs only which costs a lot.

Ours is a small company with around 20 laptops now. So spending on retail pack for them didn't seem worth the hassle.

Please can someone help me understand what sort of predicament I'm facing if BSA comes for checking?

Kind Regards,
Plague
ktek
post Jan 16 2014, 11:31 AM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,545 posts

non-retail version Microsoft OS is allowed to install on business usage pc /laptop.
BSA wont kacau a valid oem license

but u must make sure it is from genuine seller and u get genuine stock. nowadays fake license are all over the market, even retail pack are affected.

so keep ur purchasing receipt or any proof of purchase, very important.

BSA hotline 1800-88-7800

This post has been edited by ktek: Jan 16 2014, 11:37 AM
TSplague2007
post Jan 16 2014, 11:37 AM

Getting Started
54 posts

I am going to buy from a Lelong seller. He claims it's genuine retail licenses.

http://www.lelong.com.my/Auc/List/DetailSa...uctID=133048357

Should I go ahead and buy from him?
gyver
post Jan 16 2014, 11:45 AM

Regular
1,067 posts

Please bear in mind that OEM license is not transferable. Once you install on a unit, you cannot install the same license on a different computer.

While retail license is different... still you need to call Microsoft to release the old license to be installed on a new PC. You need to IDD call Microsoft Singapore.
ktek
post Jan 16 2014, 11:46 AM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,545 posts

u know that price is too good to be true drool.gif
well, i dont trust this seller kotw for this small text he typed below.
i have work with many original license PC, never have a miss (zero case) that cannot activate. gotten stock from local distri ingram micro

Only refunds if only can prove it can't activate(Photo needed)

aonejai ask:  (2013/12/12 15:57) Del  

retail box utk yg ini brapa harganya?
kotw reply: (2013/12/12 18:49) Edit 

Hi,

Win 8 Pro - RM449
Office 2013 Pro - RM1199

Thanks

This post has been edited by ktek: Jan 16 2014, 11:55 AM
ktek
post Jan 16 2014, 11:52 AM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,545 posts

QUOTE(gyver @ Jan 16 2014, 11:45 AM)
Please bear in mind that OEM license is not transferable. Once you install on a unit, you cannot install the same license on a different computer.

While retail license is different... still you need to call Microsoft to release the old license to be installed on a new PC. You need to IDD call Microsoft Singapore.

yup, this is one of few limitation of OEM license.

why i never need to idd call microsoft singapore?
done a few license downgrade and transfer using local microsoft toll free 1800-88-6295
email is seapa <at> microsoft <dot> com

This post has been edited by ktek: Jan 16 2014, 11:56 AM
gyver
post Jan 16 2014, 12:30 PM

Regular
1,067 posts

Hey, thanks for the toll free number.
ktek
post Jan 16 2014, 12:40 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,545 posts

QUOTE(gyver @ Jan 16 2014, 12:30 PM)
Hey, thanks for the toll free number.
welcome smile.gif normal activation can follow the robotic automated instruction to settle.
if special case like downgrade license to old OS,remember to spam random number until real human (customer service) to pick up
Enigmatic
post Jan 16 2014, 12:53 PM

Tralala?
3,291 posts

QUOTE(gyver @ Jan 16 2014, 11:45 AM)

Just to clarify, while this holds true in previous Windows releases, I do not think this applies to Windows 8/8.1 any longer - There is only one license available for Windows 8/8.1, be it "OEM/System Builder/Retail" etc. Which this allows the purchaser to transfer the license from machine to another machine, eg, when you swap out your motherboard etc. Even if it, for any reason at all, requires a new validation key entered, Microsoft will be willing to provide you with another validation key when you call them up to clarify.

http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx
http://download.microsoft.com/Documents/Us...86e0e0260a6.pdf

Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer.

TSplague2007
post Jan 16 2014, 01:00 PM

Getting Started
54 posts

Cool. Thanks. The price seemed too good to be true. But there have been many buyers according to Lelong history and no bad feedback yet.

So if I do buy it and it activates successfully, I shouldn't have to be concerned about BSA having problems with it right?
ktek
post Jan 16 2014, 01:11 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,545 posts

QUOTE(plague2007 @ Jan 16 2014, 01:00 PM)
Cool. Thanks. The price seemed too good to be true. But there have been many buyers according to Lelong history and no bad feedback yet.

So if I do buy it and it activates successfully, I shouldn't have to be concerned about BSA having problems with it right?

just read in detail that seller dont include COA license sticker. my advice is dont take risk upon ur own business or fame icon_rolleyes.gif
whether this seller can issue official receipt also in doubt and keep mentioning himself is supplier.
TSplague2007
post Jan 16 2014, 03:18 PM

Getting Started
54 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Jan 16 2014, 01:11 PM)
just read in detail that seller dont include COA license sticker. my advice is dont take risk upon ur own business or fame icon_rolleyes.gif
whether this seller can issue official receipt also in doubt and keep mentioning himself is supplier.
Any recommendation of a seller that I can buy genuine Windows & Office license from? Looking for cheapest offer.
gyver
post Jan 17 2014, 10:10 PM

Regular
1,067 posts

QUOTE(Enigmatic @ Jan 16 2014, 12:53 PM)
Just to clarify, while this holds true in previous Windows releases, I do not think this applies to Windows 8/8.1 any longer - There is only one license available for Windows 8/8.1, be it "OEM/System Builder/Retail" etc. Which this allows the purchaser to transfer the license from machine to another machine, eg, when you swap out your motherboard etc. Even if it, for any reason at all, requires a new validation key entered, Microsoft will be willing to provide you with another validation key when you call them up to clarify.

http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx
http://download.microsoft.com/Documents/Us...86e0e0260a6.pdf
True... true. I am just saying that OEM applies to customers who most of them are still using Windows Vista and Windows 7 and prefer to use still Windows 7 for obvious reasons.

I happended to be one of the supplier for a gov client during the transition period for Windows 8 license terms. Previously Microsoft didn't allow any transfer of license at all. Then after a lot of bad press, the came out with a simple online memo saying that transfers could be done every 6 months, provide it is because of hardware failure.

But if you call them up, surely you can transfer. It's just that they hide their toll free number well to make things difficult. I had to call Microsoft Singapore that time. But thanks to a fellow forumer here, now I have the local toll free number.
gyver
post Jan 17 2014, 10:16 PM

Regular
1,067 posts

QUOTE(plague2007 @ Jan 16 2014, 03:18 PM)
Any recommendation of a seller that I can buy genuine Windows & Office license from? Looking for cheapest offer.
Are you a uni student? Or maybe you can use a family or friend to purchase Microsoft 365 University edition.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msapac...ncy.MYR/mktp.MY

It is only RM220 but the offer expires at the end of the month, Jan 2014.

Windows 8 Pro for students is only RM215, but it is an upgrade price.
TSplague2007
post Jan 21 2014, 11:17 AM

Getting Started
54 posts

QUOTE(gyver @ Jan 17 2014, 10:16 PM)
Are you a uni student? Or maybe you can use a family or friend to purchase Microsoft 365 University edition.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msapac...ncy.MYR/mktp.MY

It  is only RM220 but the offer expires at the end of the month, Jan 2014.

Windows 8 Pro for students is only RM215, but  it is an upgrade price.
Not a Uni student and this is for company. So cannot use Uni license for company laptops.
kiritoffx
post Jan 22 2014, 03:30 AM

On my way
648 posts

QUOTE(plague2007 @ Jan 21 2014, 11:17 AM)
Not a Uni student and this is for company. So cannot use Uni license for company laptops.
I suggest you buy through valid reseller via Microsoft site. Since you want to install on your company laptop, I think it is better you buy volume license keys (VLK) it much more better.
Leon be here now
post Oct 28 2015, 10:50 AM

Casual
466 posts

QUOTE(plague2007 @ Jan 16 2014, 03:18 PM)
so where did you my your software from at the end?

yeh this kotw seller in leleong is cheap, and i am also wondering if its genuine and will not blacklist after few months
http://www.lelong.com.my/windows-7-pro-hom...7-01-Sale-I.htm

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0222sec    0.14    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:19 AM