6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

interested in learning programming

views

SUSY.J.S
post Jan 11 2014, 03:44 PM, updated 10y ago

MLM
1,353 posts

hi guys I'm 16 this year and since PMR had just passed. I would like to take advantage of this year to learn programming. my senior recommended me to learn python first because it's most likely to be beginner-friendly but Java is more popular as it can involve in many aspects like app developing etc.

so, if I intend to learn programming through online, what's the requirements? do I need laptop or PC? java or python?
munlok30
post Jan 11 2014, 03:47 PM

PinkyBoyDays
1,073 posts

QUOTE(Y.J.S @ Jan 11 2014, 03:44 PM)
hi guys I'm 16 this year and since PMR had just passed. I would like to take advantage of this year to learn programming. my senior recommended me to learn python first because it's most likely to be beginner-friendly but Java is more popular as it can involve in many aspects like app developing etc.

so, if I intend to learn programming through online, what's the requirements?  do I need laptop or PC?  java or python?
very glad to hear that , hope you will be a pro programmer in future

first download here > http://www.python.org/getit/

about tutorial you can refer to here > http://www.python.org/doc/
The Net Surfer
post Jan 11 2014, 03:58 PM

Casual
332 posts

Good intention, hope u have a great career.
Of course you do need a Laptop, the learning process needs a lot of trial and error.
TheSolver
post Jan 11 2014, 06:20 PM

Regular
1,108 posts

And remember getting frustrated while learning to program is normal. Don't give up. Hope you'll be going to be one of the select few who can program.

Not everybody can program even though they hold rolls of certificates in computer fields.
gyver
post Jan 11 2014, 06:57 PM

Regular
1,067 posts

Yup a lot of programmers that I know actually just copy and paste other people codes doh.gif

Programming is fun and I don't know why people find they must copy others all the time. Yes you may use that unique class or peace of code, no need to reinvent the wheel all the time... but at least take the time to understand it and the functions used. So when the function is deprecated and your code breaks, don't take the easy way out and blame the original coder whom you stole or borrow the code from laugh.gif
quovadis123
post Jan 11 2014, 07:13 PM

Keys
2,882 posts

QUOTE(TheSolver @ Jan 11 2014, 06:20 PM)
And remember getting frustrated while learning to program is normal. Don't give up. Hope you'll be going to be one of the select few who can program.

Not everybody can program even though they hold rolls of certificates in computer fields.
I know a lot do not have the cert in computer fields know to code. Their original cert is from other majors.
Maybe this is their interest, so they found programming is fun.

As usual, those always do not know how to code but holding a CS cert or related is disgrace. Maybe the cert is bought 1 whistling.gif
I'm afraid of these kind of people for other majors. Some caused major destruction like engineering and medic.
amri94
post Jan 11 2014, 07:21 PM

Getting Started
240 posts

You don't really need the best laptop, just the one that is functional and fireproof so that when u set it on fire its still okay,
what you really need is to be patient and a keen eye, programming is not difficult, getting errors and trying to fix them is .
WongGei
post Jan 11 2014, 11:33 PM

Regular
1,206 posts

Good to hear that. I recommend you to try out Python first. Why? Simple answer for a 16 old, it's simple to learn and run. The best thing, you dont need to buy a PC or notebook.

There are many online python interpreter that let you put n your Python code and run them on the fly.

http://mathcs.holycross.edu/~kwalsh/python/
http://www.compileonline.com/execute_python_online.php

You can start learning from here.
Lord Tiki Mick
post Jan 12 2014, 06:14 AM

Regular
1,018 posts

I actually find python hard to learn when I started programming, probably because I started with JavaScript & C. Instead, I learn TCL.
SUSY.J.S
post Jan 12 2014, 08:48 PM

MLM
1,353 posts

arghh rclxub.gif confusing
SUSY.J.S
post Jan 12 2014, 08:49 PM

MLM
1,353 posts

I'll try my best !

but my homework also got troubles ...

does programming takes a lot of time ? can I just do it like 2 or 3 hours a day?
SUSY.J.S
post Jan 12 2014, 08:56 PM

MLM
1,353 posts

Will programming softwares make my computer infects with viruses ?
xsan
post Jan 13 2014, 09:35 AM

Ouh Emm Gee I Can Edit This Nao
1,020 posts

QUOTE(Y.J.S @ Jan 12 2014, 08:48 PM)
arghh rclxub.gif  confusing
relax bro.. some fanboys recommend what they really familiar with..
if u wanna learn phyton, its okay.. still got people guiding u in here..

QUOTE(Y.J.S @ Jan 12 2014, 08:49 PM)
I'll try my best !

but my homework also got troubles ...

does programming takes a lot of time ? can I just do it like 2 or 3 hours a day?
it depends.. if u doing some heavy duty function it could takes more than 2-3 hours/day..

QUOTE(Y.J.S @ Jan 12 2014, 08:56 PM)
Will programming softwares make my computer infects with viruses ?
nope.. unless u doing code to harm your pc.. then it is bad laugh.gif
TheSolver
post Jan 13 2014, 09:47 AM

Regular
1,108 posts

QUOTE(Lord Tiki Mick @ Jan 12 2014, 06:14 AM)
I actually find python hard to learn when I started programming, probably because I started with JavaScript & C. Instead, I learn TCL.
I second that. When I first learnt ABC Language (Python predecessor), it was quite hard. I pressed on because it happened to be in my wish list in a programming language at that time (normally it would be a great turn-off). But once you passed the initial barrier, it is smooth sailing.

IMO background in other languages has got nothing to do with it. But YMMV.

Lord Tiki Mick
post Jan 13 2014, 09:54 AM

Regular
1,018 posts

QUOTE(TheSolver @ Jan 13 2014, 09:47 AM)
I second that. When I first learnt ABC Language (Python predecessor), it was quite hard. I pressed on because it happened to be in my wish list in a programming language at that time (normally it would be a great turn-off). But once you passed the initial barrier, it is smooth sailing.

IMO background in other languages has got nothing to do with it. But YMMV.
Since python is not s C-like language that uses braces then I was clueless on how python actually work. What's an interpreted language, why do I need it, etc. And yeah, it's easy after you manage to know it. nod.gif
TheSolver
post Jan 13 2014, 10:47 AM

Regular
1,108 posts

QUOTE(Lord Tiki Mick @ Jan 13 2014, 09:54 AM)
Since python is not s C-like language that uses braces then I was clueless on how python actually work. What's an interpreted language, why do I need it, etc. And yeah, it's easy after you manage to know it. nod.gif
IMO braces etc in C-like languages make for elegance. Tab delimited languages as in Python make for readability. In the long run, maintainability of a programming language is what matters.
Lord Tiki Mick
post Jan 13 2014, 10:49 AM

Regular
1,018 posts

QUOTE(TheSolver @ Jan 13 2014, 10:47 AM)
IMO braces etc in C-like languages make for elegance. Tab delimited languages as in Python make for readability. In the long run, maintainability of a programming language is what matters.
In your opinion which one's more maintainable? hmm.gif
TheSolver
post Jan 13 2014, 02:09 PM

Regular
1,108 posts

QUOTE(Lord Tiki Mick @ Jan 13 2014, 10:49 AM)
In your opinion which one's more maintainable? hmm.gif
Generally Python. But you can make C-like languages maintainable if you program consciously and defensively.
Lord Tiki Mick
post Jan 13 2014, 02:37 PM

Regular
1,018 posts

QUOTE(TheSolver @ Jan 13 2014, 02:09 PM)
Generally Python. But you can make C-like languages maintainable if you program consciously and defensively.
Mostly because of the readability right? C-like languages have indentation as optional, with python, it's a must. smile.gif

But JavaScript nowadays looks beautiful as well. Many things you can do with just JavaScript nowadays. They also run with small memory consumption and faster start up compared to python. For example gjs Gtk binding vs python Gtk binding.
dstl1128
post Jan 13 2014, 03:18 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,463 posts

QUOTE(Lord Tiki Mick @ Jan 13 2014, 02:37 PM)
But JavaScript nowadays looks beautiful as well. Many things you can do with just JavaScript nowadays. They also run with small memory consumption and faster start up compared to python. For example gjs Gtk binding vs python Gtk binding.
I'm not going to use an inconsistent language as 'main' language, or a language that modify my 20 digit number from 12345678901234567890 to 12345678901234567000 without spitting errors or warnings.

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0181sec    0.30    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:26 PM