Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[UNBOXING & REVIEW] Cooler Master Nepton 140XL, Cooler Master's new AIO Liquid Cooler

views

TSlucidlts
post Jan 4 2014, 12:57 PM, updated 11y ago

brain powder
2,905 posts

Author's Note: The Original Review may be found in www.tech-critter.com, please head to the site to show us your support as well.

user posted image

It wasn't really a surprise to us when Cooler Master announced their involvement in the self-contained liquid cooler in the early November 2012 with their very own design of self-contained liquid cooler - the Seidon Series, as almost every manufacturer in the PC cooling industry is keeping up with the trend.

Cooler Master had the Seidon Series liquid cooler designed in-house and this helps to reduce the cost of production. Therefore, the Seidon Series is among the best closed-loop liquid cooler money can buy, the Seidon series offers users with a fairly decent performance at the sweet spot price ranging from their top of the line 240mm radiator Seidon 240M is available at 349 Malaysian Ringgit to the entry 120mm Seidon 120V at a very affordable price of 189 Malaysian Ringgit.

Our review for this time is something rather new - yet to be announced to the Malaysian local market, the Cooler Master Nepton 140XL. Soon to be available on the shelf at the price of 349 Malaysian Ringgit, what does the Nepton 140XL offers compared to other coolers which is in the same league? We'll find out soon enough after this review.

Features

Warranty 2 Years from Cooler Master
CPU Socket Support Intel LGA 2011 / 1366 / 1150 /1155 / 1156 / 775
AMD Socket FM2 / FM1 / AM3+ / AM3 / AM2
Dimension 75mm x 69.8mm x 49.1mm
Radiator Dimension 171mm x 139mm x 38mm
Fan Dimension 140mm x 140mm x 25mm
* 2 pieces of JetFlo 140 incl
* optional: 120mm fans can be mounted as well
Fan Speed 800~2000 RPM (PWM) ± 10%
Fan Airflow 0.7~3.5 mm H2O ± 10%
Fan Bearing Type Rifle Bearing
Radiator Material Aluminum
Water Pump Life Expectancy 70,000 hours
Fan Life Expectancy 40,000 hours
Rated Voltage Pump: 12 VDC
Fan: 12 VDC

Unboxing
Before starting with the review, we would like to thank Cooler Master for giving us to opportunity to review their new Neptop 140XL which will soon be launched to our local Malaysian market.

Attached Image

On first glance, the packaging of the Nepton 140XL seems to emphasize their improvement from the previous generation of Cooler Master's self-contained liquid cooler with details printed in front, e.g: Extreme Cooling Performance, Extra Large 140mm Radiator, Durable FEP Tubing, Ultrafine Micro Channel that doubles the surface area. This is Cooler Master's first and ever self-contained liquid cooler with 140mm thick radiator.

Attached Image

What's inside the box is the Nepton 140XL, a pair of Cooler Master's latest JetFlo 140mm fan, accessories which includes the retention bracket, screws etc, user's manual and warranty guide.

Attached Image

As you can see from the included accessories, consisting the screws for mounting both JetFlo 140mm on the radiator, retention bracket for Intel and AMD, fan splitter, thermal paste, plastic clips, etc.

Attached Image

Up next is the warranty guide and the user's manual for Nepton 140XL - a very important and helpful guide especially for first timer!

Attached Image

Nepton 140XL comes with a pair of JetFlo 140mm PWM fans, allowing you to configure for a push pull setup right out of the box. By analyzing through the details of the included JetFlo 140mm fans, we came to notice that the included JetFlo 140mm uses rifle bearing instead of POM bearing used on the retail JetFlo 120mm.

user posted image

*About Rifle Bearing*
Rifle bearing fans are similar to sleeve bearing, but are quieter and have almost as much lifespan as ball bearings. The bearing has a spiral groove in it that pumps fluid from a reservoir. This allows them to be safely mounted horizontally (unlike sleeve bearings), since the fluid being pumped lubricates the top of the shaft. The pumping also ensures sufficient lubricant on the shaft, reducing noise, and increasing lifespan.

From the details above, JetFlo 120 is boasted with life expectancy of 160,000 hours while the JetFlo 140 has a life expectancy of 40,000 hours which is 4 times lower than the retail JetFlo 120.

Attached Image

The fans included is sleeved ready out of the box. These sleeves helps to protect the fan cables from accidental damage, while giving the fan itself a premium look compared to those non-sleeved fans.

Attached Image

The rubber pads on each side of the JetFlo 140, it helps to absorbs vibration on contact point produced by moving parts that may causes the production of noise. Cooler Master has done a fine job improving their fan design, much better than their previous generation of fans.

Attached Image

This uniquely designed fan blade is said to be able to produce high airflow and giving out low noise at high rotation speed. This will be confirmed after the review.

Attached Image Attached Image

And here's the main body of the Nepton 140XL. The pump looks much larger and thicker compared to the pump of the Seidon series self-contained liquid cooler. The FEP tubing and the radiator seems to be thicker as well.

Attached Image

Below the pump is the copper plate to transfer heat from your CPU to the liquid that passes through the micro channel on the copper plate. Unlike the previous generation, the Nepton 140XL copper plate is secured with an uncommon looking screws which can only be seen from a professional screw drivers kit.

Attached Image

Check out the thickness of this radiator! From our observation, it is way much thicker compared to any other radiator of self-contained liquid cooler we've encounter so far.

Attached Image Attached Image

On the radiator itself, there's a warning message on a piece of sticker that warns user not to tamper the knob in the radiator. This is where you can change the coolant within the closed loop, but removing it will instantly void the 2 year warranty covered by Cooler Master. Better think twice before proceeding with what you plan to do with it.

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

The radiator is rather special - a 140mm radiator that supports both 140mm and 120mm fans. It's not a common design we've seen on most conventional radiators. Cooler Master did a good job for taking 120mm fan mounting into account, as most chassis available out there uses 120mm rear fan and this helps to give better compatibility for chassis that doesn't comes with any 140mm fan mounting.

Attached Image

Compared side by side with the Corsair H100, there's a very significant differences - Nepton 140XL has a much thicker radiator and thicker FEP tubing as well. To those who concerns about the stiffness of FEP tubing used, we can assure you that the FEP tubing on the Nepton 140XL is much flexible than the conventional FEP tubing from the previous generation self-contained liquid coolers that uses CoolIT FEP tubing design. Again, Cooler Master did a fine job in improving the flexibility of FEP tubing by increasing the diameter of the FEP tubing.

Installation

Attached Image

Moving forward to the installation, we will be using the Intel retention bracket - since we will be testing in with an Intel setup. The installation is pretty straight forward, the Intel bracket is inserted from the bottom slot available and can be secured with the screws included.

Attached Image

The backplate on the other hand, uses a rather unique way of securing their mounting screws.

Attached Image

A small piece of plastic clip is used to hold the mounting screw in place. The plastic clip will held firmly to the slot according to the type of socket: deepest inside is the 775 socket, following by the middle is 1156/1155/1150 socket and lastly located as the most outer part of it is for the 1366/2011 socket.

Attached Image

Here's the mounting screws which is now secured in place. The plastic clip act as an insulator as well, having a gap in between the contact point of the backplate and the motherboard.

Attached Image

Now mounted firmly on the CPU, the Nepton 140XL is ready to be unleashed. The picture above is one of the way you can mount the radiator, but do note that there's a motherboard compatibility too - especially for Asus motherboards that comes with the thermal armor. As for RAM clearance, there's no issue at all for the Nepton 140XL compared to some gigantic air cooler heatsink.

Attached Image

The Cooler Master Cosmos SE is one of the recommended chassis that supports the Nepton 140XL.

Testing Method

Attached Image

In this section of review, we will be using the test rig as listed as below to conduct our temperature test:

user posted image

We will be doing a small comparison in performance with the Corsair H100 and the Cooler Master Nepton 140XL. The test is conducted in a room with ambient temperature of 28ºC, active air intake for the system is through a pair of 120mm fans in the front of the chassis and the exhaust consist only the fans mounted on the radiator of each cooler. Our stress test on the CPU is done using Prime95 with maximum heat stress test.

The test is done separately with the Corsair H100 and the Cooler Master Nepton 140XL and the final result is shown in the graph as below:

Attached Image

The result seems pretty good for the Nepton 140XL. Competing with one of the best self-contained liquid cooler on the market paired with the king of radiator fan (Scythe Gentle Typhon AP-15), the Nepton 140XL stands up pretty well although it is not able to out perform the Corsair H100. Having a slight difference in temperature and other than being much noisier, there's nothing much else we can criticize.

Our Verdict

Even though the Nepton 140XL wasn't able to overpower the Corsair H100, trailing just few temps away at the price of 349 Malaysian Ringgit compared to the winner which cost you an extra 100 Malaysian Ringgit is something worth to look up to if you're looking for a decent self-contained liquid cooler that performs great and won't cost you an arm and a leg. Do be reminded that there's motherboard can chassis compatibility, you might want to take a good look at your current chassis to see whether it will fit the Nepton 140XL - if you're using a tiny low cost chassis, you might have to consider changing your chassis first.

Pros:
- Large and thick 140mm radiator with 120mm and 140mm fan support
- thicker FEP tubing gives much flexibility compared to the smaller ones from most CoolIT OEM
- High performance JetFlo 140 is included
- The included fans comes with rubber pads to reduce noise and sleeved fan cables
- Extremely easy to install, thanks to the plastic clip to hold the mounting screws on the backplate
- Great performance, great value
- Full RAM height compatibility, no need to worry if you own a pair of tall RAM(s).

Cons:
- User will need a decent quality chassis in order to be able to install the Nepton 140XL
- The fan is rather loud at max rotation speed on full load
- The included JetFlo 140 seems to have less life expectancy compared to the retail JetFlo 120
- The knob on the radiator might causes compatibility issue for certain chassis and motherboard
- Compatibility issue with Asus Motherboards that comes with a Thermal Armor

At the end of the review, we're awarding the Cooler Master Nepton 140XL with a silver award and a recommended award with confidence.

user posted image user posted image

This post has been edited by lucidlts: Jan 9 2014, 11:50 PM
Sentinel92
post Jan 12 2014, 01:08 AM

20000% Chinaman Certified Discount Hunter.
3,573 posts

Great review man. Sweet stuff. Looks like it's either this or the Kraken X40 for me.
asunakirito
post Jan 12 2014, 07:33 AM

Regular
1,068 posts

wow 4770k only at 4.3ghz but 86celcius? What voltage are you using?
That is kinda small overclocking can be achieved but for such an expensive cooler.

Would you suggest to use Intel stock Cooler and just overclock it at 4.2ghz?

My 3770K overclock at 4.2Ghz using Intel Stock COoler, not sure if its worth using that massive heatsink for that purpose. sweat.gif

This post has been edited by asunakirito: Jan 12 2014, 07:35 AM
TSlucidlts
post Jan 13 2014, 09:43 AM

brain powder
2,905 posts

QUOTE(asunakirito @ Jan 12 2014, 07:33 AM)
wow 4770k only at 4.3ghz but 86celcius? What voltage are you using?
That is kinda small overclocking can be achieved but for such an expensive cooler.

Would you suggest to use Intel stock Cooler and just overclock it at 4.2ghz?

My 3770K overclock at 4.2Ghz using Intel Stock COoler, not sure if its worth using that massive heatsink for that purpose.  sweat.gif
Well, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one facing the heat issue from a Haswell i7.
At first I thought i just got myself a lemon, but after confirming with few friends who own a 4770k, the temp really sucks big time.
IMO the Sandy i7 I previously own did a way lot better than this, just way much better.
If you're going any higher with the clock, it's either you:

- be very lucky to get a great chip (golden batch?)
- go for the real deal watercooling setup
- delid the CPU ( lenglui delid CPU service : https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2971611 )

Just my 1 sen of course.
Sentinel92
post Jan 14 2014, 12:13 AM

20000% Chinaman Certified Discount Hunter.
3,573 posts

QUOTE(lucidlts @ Jan 13 2014, 09:43 AM)
Well, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one facing the heat issue from a Haswell i7.
At first I thought i just got myself a lemon, but after confirming with few friends who own a 4770k, the temp really sucks big time.
IMO the Sandy i7 I previously own did a way lot better than this, just way much better.
If you're going any higher with the clock, it's either you:

- be very lucky to get a great chip (golden batch?)
- go for the real deal watercooling setup
- delid the CPU ( lenglui delid CPU service : https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2971611 )

Just my 1 sen of course.
Question, rather than CPUs, I'm looking for a 120/140mm AIO to cool my GPU (290X) together with a NZXT G10. I'm guessing that the 140XL is not compatible with the G10 right?

Also, what do you think is the best bang for buck/best performing 120mm/140mm AIO out there?

Thaaaaaanks. rclxms.gif

TSlucidlts
post Jan 14 2014, 09:47 AM

brain powder
2,905 posts

QUOTE(Chew Yongxian @ Jan 14 2014, 12:13 AM)
Question, rather than CPUs, I'm looking for a 120/140mm AIO to cool my GPU (290X) together with a NZXT G10. I'm guessing that the 140XL is not compatible with the G10 right?

Also, what do you think is the best bang for buck/best performing 120mm/140mm AIO out there?

Thaaaaaanks.  rclxms.gif
sad but true, the Nepton 140XL isn't compatible with the NZXT G10.
If you're speaking of an AIO that is really back for the buck + compatible with NZXT G10, i would say it's the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro - a good performer except for its unexceptionally noisy fans sweat.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0157sec    0.43    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:41 PM