Please keep your account's email current. http://lowy.at/chgEmail

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Why Malaysia So Dirty

views

TSkktong83
post Dec 21 2013, 10:35 PM, updated 8y ago

Getting Started
96 posts

After so many years of independence, seems like our country still has no improvement towards cleanliness and hygiene.

Seems like nobody care even the Government whether it is PR or BN.

1. Klang River is still as dirty as it used to be or worse.

2. Cities and town with rubbish everywhere regardless of state.

3. Restaurant still so dirty, Ministry of Health also doesn't seems to bother.

4. Public Toilet lagi no comment.

Public also don't really complain, politician also doesn't care. Doesn't seems to have new laws to cover this area as well..

Why until today we still cannot improve?
colourfullife
post Dec 21 2013, 10:39 PM

Getting Started
223 posts

QUOTE(kktong83 @ Dec 21 2013, 10:35 PM)
After so many years of independence, seems like our country still has no improvement towards cleanliness and hygiene.

Public also don't really complain, politician also doesn't care. Doesn't seems to have new laws to cover this area as well..
Like what you stated, no one really care.
jetyap
post Dec 21 2013, 11:21 PM

Getting Started
168 posts

Majority of Malaysians are dirty outside their houses. They don't bother to clean up after themselves after they are done whether in the toilet or eating places.
TiramisuCoffee
post Dec 21 2013, 11:36 PM

Regular
1,016 posts

Impose heavy fines only will improve. In fact, government can earn very good revenues if they really do some law enforcement here. nod.gif
martianunlimited
post Dec 22 2013, 12:00 AM

The original Martian
1,358 posts

QUOTE(TiramisuCoffee @ Dec 21 2013, 11:36 PM)
Impose heavy fines only will improve. In fact, government can earn very good revenues if they really do some law enforcement here.  nod.gif
Legislation is one thing... enforcement is another... it doesn't matter how high the fine is, as long as nobody enforces it, people would still litter

user posted image
TiramisuCoffee
post Dec 22 2013, 12:17 AM

Regular
1,016 posts

What about a photo of the Malaysian public toilet? tongue.gif
leonhang
post Dec 22 2013, 01:50 AM

Getting Started
248 posts

That's not true. I always complaint, but the authorities don't seem to take it seriously.

To make this better, I think North Korea is cleaner than us.

and I agreed with @martianunlimited but I think educating the public would be a better way than the other two.
segamatboy
post Dec 22 2013, 03:47 AM

On my way
637 posts

Why should they clean up??? Most Malaysians grew up with maids who cleaned up after boy boy or girl girl mess. Now boy boy and girl girl have grown up and expect others to clean up the mess they left behind

QUOTE(jetyap @ Dec 21 2013, 11:21 PM)

They don't bother to clean up after themselves after they are done whether in the toilet or eating places.
greenteaaddict
post Dec 22 2013, 07:49 AM

Getting Started
145 posts

I especially hate it when Malaysian drivers throw out tissue paper or whatever they feel like throwing out of their car window like the road is their trash can.
Kevin Chan
post Dec 22 2013, 08:08 AM

Regular
1,997 posts

Enforcement and both education is required for this.

Had to agree that civil conscious is absolutely lacking in Malaysia. This other people will take care of it attitude really need to end.
SUSNXJ
post Dec 22 2013, 08:20 AM

Getting Started
61 posts

Prevention is better than cure

Enforcement is the cure

But we can save a lot of money (and health) by not using the cure if the prevention is done right

Prevention is the education and awareness

As a small business owner I've been complimented and rewarded by customers for upping the hygiene standard in my store

If Malaysians can stop frequenting dirty stores out of health concern

There wouldn't be dirty stores anymore
oe_kintaro
post Dec 22 2013, 09:19 AM

Regular
1,640 posts

It's a state of mind. Many of Malaysians still have a 3rd world mindset. You can take a Malaysian out of a kampong/new village/estate/jungle and put him in a city, but taking the same out of him is not so easy.
TSkktong83
post Dec 22 2013, 10:37 AM

Getting Started
96 posts

Is there anyway we can make this issue bigger so that gov or parliament will be serious of this?

Perhaps forming new laws with heavy fine.. just like sg

Their zon bersih program like in subang is a total failure and stupid.

TSkktong83
post Dec 22 2013, 10:39 AM

Getting Started
96 posts

Is there anyway we can make this issue bigger so that gov or parliament will be serious of this?

Perhaps forming new laws with heavy fine.. just like sg

Their zon bersih program like in subang is a total failure and stupid.

imbibug
post Dec 22 2013, 10:51 AM

Regular
1,521 posts

QUOTE(jetyap @ Dec 21 2013, 11:21 PM)
Majority of Malaysians are dirty outside their houses. They don't bother to clean up after themselves after they are done whether in the toilet or eating places.
I would say many or even most Malaysians don't bother about their drains just directly outside their houses. The drainage is almost always poor with stagnant water because of rubbish or poor flow due to messed up renovations.

Its an attitude of poor civic consciousness where no one seems to want to take responsibility for the cleanliness of their own housing block, let alone the neighbourhood, never mind the town or city.
frontierzone
post Dec 22 2013, 11:03 AM

On my way
599 posts

Sort of like a culture now. Like in China, we see everyone spitting just about wherever they are, even in buildings, restaurants, malls, rooms or houses. For those who never witness this, might get a shock. The amount of spit accumulated may be able to form a river.

In here, although not spitting, we have other similarly disgusting acts like mentioned. We have people who thinks it's okay to throw things out of a car or apartment, not flushing and not doing it in the right places in the toilet is quite notorious. Vandalism as well, graffiti of crude words at back of toilet walls and wasted art skills drawing pictures of the human anatomy.

This post has been edited by frontierzone: Dec 22 2013, 11:09 AM
imbibug
post Dec 22 2013, 11:10 AM

Regular
1,521 posts

QUOTE(frontierzone @ Dec 22 2013, 11:03 AM)
Sort of like a culture now. Like in China, we see everyone spitting just about wherever they are, even in buildings, restaurants, malls, rooms or houses. For those who never witness this, might get a shock. The amount of spit accumulated may be able to form a river.

In here, although not spitting, we have other similarly disgusting acts like mentioned. We have people who thinks it's okay to throw things out of a car or apartment, not flushing and not doing it in the right places in the toilet is quite notorious. Vandalism as well, graffiti of crude words at back of toilet walls.
They actually have a reason to spit in China. The air is so polluted because of rapid industrialisation and lax enforcement of environmental standards so ordinary people have to spit to clear out their lungs. Malaysians don't have a good reason when they dump rubbish in forest reserves, public parks, playgrounds, right outside their houses.
segamatboy
post Dec 22 2013, 11:34 AM

On my way
637 posts

Huh??? what about public peeing??? saw young and old alike openly pee in public. And the adults don't even bother to hide their little bird

QUOTE(imbibug @ Dec 22 2013, 11:10 AM)
They actually have a reason to spit in China. The air is so polluted because of rapid industrialisation and lax enforcement of environmental standards so ordinary people have to spit to clear out their lungs.
WeiKei
post Dec 22 2013, 12:11 PM

On my way
622 posts

I hope this don't give najib an excuse to come up with another makmal recommendation again. The way this guy think and say, really doh.gif rclxub.gif me. Ten fold worse then when MM open his mouth.
axis_lua
post Dec 22 2013, 12:16 PM

Enthusiast
924 posts

QUOTE(martianunlimited @ Dec 22 2013, 12:00 AM)
Legislation is one thing... enforcement is another... it doesn't matter how high the fine is, as long as nobody enforces it, people would still litter

user posted image
true, just look at our neighbouring country but then again, if we look at Thailand, it seems like they are doing a pretty good job keeping their country clean without fine though although not as good as the one in Singapore. Nonetheless, if there is enforcement, we wont have so much issues in the country sad.gif
skeleton202
post Dec 22 2013, 04:10 PM

Perdana Malaysia ke-9
1,132 posts

even the smoker just piumpium their cigarettes everywhere although the cigg dust cup in front of them.. we are born to to be dirty
saldopullt
post Dec 23 2013, 10:36 AM

On my way
536 posts

I can say Malaysian are mostly selfish. We kept our homes clean only. The lack of education on hygiene and cleanliness lead to this.
The most important factor that lead to the dirty city and neighbourhood is CULTURE.
When I travelled to S.Korea, I felt so embarrassed towards myself. U cant see a single rubbish in their morning market. They keep all their rubbish in their pocket until they see a garbage bin (they have even less garbage bin on the street than us). They will pick up the rubbish that others accidentally dropped. This is their culture.
dplaya
post Dec 23 2013, 11:30 AM

Casual
466 posts

Lack of enforcement and education that causes this problem keep spiraling.

Some people thinks that throwing rubbish everywhere is to provide jobs to those cleaners on the street. What kind of logic is this?

A FINE is never a solution to this kinda of problem, you need to humiliate them. Once caught, you are to FINE and do community service by CLEANING the rubbish of others. Let them feel what the cleaners feel.
imbibug
post Dec 23 2013, 12:04 PM

Regular
1,521 posts

QUOTE(saldopullt @ Dec 23 2013, 10:36 AM)
I can say Malaysian are mostly selfish. We kept our homes clean only. The lack of education on hygiene and cleanliness lead to this.
The most important factor that lead to the dirty city and neighbourhood is CULTURE.
It becoming hackeyed to shrug and say its just the culture here. We should ask how did that 'culture' come about?
I think its because average Malaysians generally don't think of public property as their own (to also take care of) but something that belongs 'to the government' (aka to the BNputra) due to the authoritarian political scene.
prophetjul
post Dec 23 2013, 01:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,713 posts

CULTURE- Tidakpathy
bart80
post Dec 23 2013, 01:33 PM

Getting Started
179 posts

When I finish my meal at a local fast food chain and put all my trash onto the tray to bring it to the dustbin, people stare at me. Perhaps they like to keep the employment numbers up or else people don't have a job as a cleaner?
fablefox
post Dec 23 2013, 05:10 PM

Enthusiast
770 posts

QUOTE(bart80 @ Dec 23 2013, 01:33 PM)
When I finish my meal at a local fast food chain and put all my trash onto the tray to bring it to the dustbin, people stare at me. Perhaps they like to keep the employment numbers up or else people don't have a job as a cleaner?
Ha ha!

My 'bad' habit, since I don't frequent fast food restaurant out, but always eat at restaurant (single, due to work, too tired to cook for single person) is to stack everything up nicely so that the waiter could just pick it up.

I don't know. The habit just grow by itself. sweat.gif

JustcallmeLarry
post Dec 23 2013, 06:00 PM

Regular
1,358 posts

The only thing government can do is to educate people the rest is up to us. The other day i walking in a mall carpark a uncle spit out his phlegm right in front of me & acted like its no big deal. A lot of people here don't even have common hygiene practice.
TiramisuCoffee
post Dec 23 2013, 06:52 PM

Regular
1,016 posts

QUOTE(JustcallmeLarry @ Dec 23 2013, 06:00 PM)
The only thing government can do is to educate people the rest is up to us. The other day i walking in a mall carpark a uncle spit out his phlegm right in front of me & acted like its no big deal. A lot of people here don't even have common hygiene practice.
Yes, education is the way to go! Bombard everyone day and night via mass media!
GetMePhones
post Dec 23 2013, 07:10 PM

Getting Started
163 posts

QUOTE(imbibug @ Dec 22 2013, 10:51 AM)
I would say many or even most Malaysians don't bother about their drains just directly outside their houses. The drainage is almost always poor with stagnant water because of rubbish or poor flow due to messed up renovations.

Its an attitude of poor civic consciousness where no one seems to want to take responsibility for the cleanliness of their own housing block, let alone the neighbourhood, never mind the town or city.
One of the ways to tackle this issue is by imposing and enforcing a stricter law on littering..
the more important move would be to educate the public at a young age..specifically at school
a great example would be how Japan was able to educate most of its citizens..
by slotting 15 minutes for a daily classroom clean up...everyone's gotta participate
its one of the ways to handle this, even more so when children follow what their stupid parents
do..throwing rubbish out of the car window and the likes

ekompute
post Dec 23 2013, 10:22 PM

Regular
1,183 posts

After so many years of independence, seems like our country still has no improvement towards cleanliness and hygiene... Public also don't really complain, politician also doesn't care. Doesn't seems to have new laws to cover this area as well. Why until today we still cannot improve?
To me, clean up the politics first before they sapu the Treasury clean.

bart80
post Dec 24 2013, 08:15 AM

Getting Started
179 posts

QUOTE(ekompute @ Dec 23 2013, 10:22 PM)
thumbup.gif i support that too
Larger_Raja
post Dec 24 2013, 10:43 AM

19 posts

QUOTE(ekompute @ Dec 23 2013, 10:22 PM)
How do you do that? People elect their representatives. Dirty people elect dirty representatives.
klthor
post Dec 24 2013, 11:38 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,457 posts

QUOTE(imbibug @ Dec 22 2013, 11:10 AM)
They actually have a reason to spit in China. The air is so polluted because of rapid industrialisation and lax enforcement of environmental standards so ordinary people have to spit to clear out their lungs. Malaysians don't have a good reason when they dump rubbish in forest reserves, public parks, playgrounds, right outside their houses.
lol i found ur reason to spit is funny!
edlonsc
post Dec 24 2013, 11:44 AM

Getting Started
55 posts

QUOTE(bart80 @ Dec 23 2013, 01:33 PM)
They need headcount to hire Bangla...
imbibug
post Dec 24 2013, 03:18 PM

Regular
1,521 posts

QUOTE(GetMePhones @ Dec 23 2013, 07:10 PM)
One of the ways to tackle this issue is by imposing and enforcing a stricter law on littering..
the more important move would be to educate the public at a young age..specifically at school
a great example would be how Japan was able to educate most of its citizens..
by slotting 15 minutes for a daily classroom clean up...everyone's gotta participate
its one of the ways to handle this, even more so when children follow what their stupid parents
do..throwing rubbish out of the car window and the likes
Thats not going to work by itself. And its not how Japan (or other 'clean' countries) became 'clean'.

Malaysia has had health studies/civics (and now moral) as a subject in school. Making student clean up for 15mins everyday isn't going to do anything. Its poor civic consciousness, an attitude to 'mind your own business' and poor infrastructure that is to blame. Unless we overcome these more fundamental problems, the problem is not going to go away.

Malaysia has the open drain system where its just too easy to dump rubbish and waste into the drains. And it makes economic sense for businesses to dump rather than to dispose of their waste properly. Drains are mostly poorly built (British era drains have a 2 layer design to drain water more efficiently in drier conditions) with stagnant water and smelly and makes the public used to such conditions.

There is less accountability for public officials dealing with these sampah type municipal issues contribute to clogged drains, overflowing bins, poor trash collection, not enough bins. Most Malaysians who live in a terrace house are reluctant to discuss hygiene issues with dirty neighbours unlike countries like Japan/Korea etc where there are mandatory local citizens meetings where dirty houses can be criticised.
GetMePhones
post Dec 24 2013, 03:37 PM

Getting Started
163 posts

QUOTE(imbibug @ Dec 24 2013, 03:18 PM)
Thats not going to work by itself. And its not how Japan (or other 'clean' countries) became 'clean'.

Malaysia has had health studies/civics (and now moral) as a subject in school. Making student clean up for 15mins everyday isn't going to do anything. Its poor civic consciousness, an attitude to 'mind your own business' and poor infrastructure that is to blame. Unless we overcome these more fundamental problems, the problem is not going to go away.

Malaysia has the open drain system where its just too easy to dump rubbish and waste into the drains. And it makes economic sense for businesses to dump rather than to dispose of their waste properly. Drains are mostly poorly built (British era drains have a 2 layer design to drain water more efficiently in drier conditions) with stagnant water and smelly and makes the public used to such conditions.

There is less accountability for public officials dealing with these sampah type municipal issues contribute to clogged drains, overflowing bins, poor trash collection, not enough bins. Most Malaysians who live in a terrace house are reluctant to discuss hygiene issues with dirty neighbours unlike countries like Japan/Korea etc where there are mandatory local citizens meetings where dirty houses can be criticised.
That's just it really, to throw away that stupid way of thinking and develop a new one..
IMO moral values can't really be learnt just by reading books or turn them into P&P lessons
it needs to be integrated into their daily life, one of the daily activities that is crucial for almost every children
here is school...it is one of the things that would help towards leading a cleaner lifestyle if not mitigate the
littering problems we already have now.

Because the schools in Putrajaya, especially the one I've taught in had cleaners for almost everything..
it just gives them more excuse to be lazy and adopt to that 'someone will clean it up' mentality

imbibug
post Dec 24 2013, 04:02 PM

Regular
1,521 posts

Yes, moral values can't be 'learnt' in school. Its a way of life that 'works' so schoolchildren believe that that way is the best way to live.
Malaysian's aren't dirty because they have poor parents but because there are no local elections, local enforcement is lax, keep building open drains and allow dirty neighbours and business to pollute the environment.
dance_moon
post Dec 24 2013, 06:27 PM

24 posts

pity Malaysia cry.gif
ChaosXP
post Dec 24 2013, 07:32 PM

Casual
411 posts

Just form some cleanliness gestapo. If someone decides to throw rubbish in public there'll be instant beatdown with police magic sticks regardless of status in society.
Brandonn
post Dec 25 2013, 03:01 PM

Enthusiast
700 posts

QUOTE(ChaosXP @ Dec 24 2013, 07:32 PM)
Just form some cleanliness gestapo. If someone decides to throw rubbish in public there'll be instant beatdown with police magic sticks regardless of status in society.
But this is not sustainable.
In the context of a truly developed nation, Msians must truly understand how to live and behave like citizens of a truly developed nation. It goes beyond keeping the public places clean, but also protecting the heritage, cleanliness and pride of the country and neighborhood. Conscious parenting is also important.

We all know too well that Msians are not there yet. To achieve that, it will take years of education (not literacy), public education, consciousness from within that these are the right thing to do. We may needs years of affluence and moving up the needs of hierarchy, for the general public to demand a clean environment from themselves, the neighbors, friends, and everyone around them.
Angel of Deth
post Dec 25 2013, 08:48 PM

Regular
1,239 posts

They don't like to 'dirty' their own lawn. They prefer to dump their rubbish at open place or some place that far from their housing area.

At the place where I live, Malay, Chinese, Indian, Man, Woman, Young or Old all dump their rubbish, old furniture including toilet bowl at this poor roadside. Once I complained to the authority. They did take action, although with some time. But it's useless, few months later these people found some other spot just few blocks away.

It's got to be the mentality.
tomyamseller17
post Dec 25 2013, 10:28 PM

Getting Started
205 posts

QUOTE(Brandonn @ Dec 25 2013, 03:01 PM)
In the context of a truly developed nation, Msians must truly understand how to live and behave like citizens of a truly developed nation. It goes beyond keeping the public places clean, but also protecting the heritage, cleanliness and pride of the country and neighborhood.  Conscious parenting is also important.

We all know too well that Msians are not there yet. To achieve that, it will take years of education (not literacy), public education, consciousness from within that these are the right thing to do. We may needs years of affluence and moving up the needs of hierarchy, for the general public to demand a clean environment from themselves, the neighbors, friends, and everyone around them.
Malaysia is still far away from a claim produce by the government themselves trying to impress the world.

With so much disunity, corruption and power grabs Malaysia is moving backwards against emerging SEA nations and not progressing.

Within a span of 2020-2030 many other SEA countries are also claiming to attain developed status. Will it end up something not worthy to claim by then?

ChaosXP
post Dec 26 2013, 12:05 AM

Casual
411 posts

QUOTE(Brandonn @ Dec 25 2013, 03:01 PM)
In the context of a truly developed nation, Msians must truly understand how to live and behave like citizens of a truly developed nation. It goes beyond keeping the public places clean, but also protecting the heritage, cleanliness and pride of the country and neighborhood.  Conscious parenting is also important.

As much as education can serve as the ultimate corrective measure to, its only effective towards the younger population and those with slight education. This is provided the household and his friends are also conciously acting and supporting one another.

For the current population especially the baby boomers and above who are too harderned in their old ways, a less gentle method should be more effective like heavy fines. Given the corruption in our country, I'd say it would probably fatten some goverment servant pockets but it would still reduce rubbish thrown everywhere.

Actually the worst would be the roads and highways but we can do very little about it till it gets washed to somewhere more manageable.
simpletraveler
post Dec 26 2013, 12:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,872 posts

The real reason is corruption and cronyism.
The country is managed by the government. If the government is not clean, don't expect places to be clean.
Malaysians are really ignorants. No one seems to know this.

SUSFindingGamerWife
post Dec 26 2013, 09:29 AM

Getting Started
51 posts

Personally, this is definitely not the fault of the rakyat

Malaysians are perfect, and are born clean, perfect, intelligent, brave, honourable, etc.

However, because of the horrible education system, the clean perfect intelligent brave honourable Malaysians are all turned into garbage dumping smoking drinking addicts.

Yeap the rakyat is not at fault. this is the education system problem. it is time to change to english.
reddevilchoo
post Dec 26 2013, 11:33 AM

Casual
366 posts

QUOTE(FindingGamerWife @ Dec 26 2013, 10:29 AM)
Personally, this is definitely not the fault of the rakyat

Malaysians are perfect, and are born clean, perfect, intelligent, brave, honourable, etc.
However, because of the horrible education system, the clean perfect intelligent brave honourable Malaysians are all turned into garbage dumping smoking drinking addicts.

Yeap the rakyat is not at fault. this is the education system problem. it is time to change to english.
Not only that, for me its more due to our 'dirty' politics.
ekompute
post Dec 26 2013, 06:19 PM

Regular
1,183 posts

QUOTE(Larger_Raja @ Dec 24 2013, 10:43 AM)
How do you do that? People elect their representatives. Dirty people elect dirty representatives.
Raja, you are right. Democracy cannot work in a nation of cows. Thomas Jefferson said: "A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49." But in Malaysia, it is the 47% that takes away the rights of the 53%!!! So much for Malaysian democracy!

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/2157...ettle-dangerous

This post has been edited by ekompute: Dec 26 2013, 06:25 PM
simpletraveler
post Dec 26 2013, 07:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,872 posts

QUOTE(FindingGamerWife @ Dec 26 2013, 09:29 AM)

So it falls back to the government people lor. They are the ones who decide on the systems.
simpletraveler
post Dec 26 2013, 08:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,872 posts

QUOTE(reddevilchoo @ Dec 26 2013, 11:33 AM)
Not only that, for me its more due to our 'dirty' politics.
So means government lor.
JayCkat
post Dec 27 2013, 07:14 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,534 posts

Dump sites.

I think that the Malaysia public is not aware off the location of the closest dump site. Where are the dump site in malaysia?
gyver
post Dec 27 2013, 08:36 AM

Enthusiast
974 posts

It's more of a moral and civic duty you see. A lot of Malaysian just don't care anymore. When we were kids because of the constant education, we might care a bit but when we turn grown up, most of us if not everyone is saying I pay the taxes, then let the local municipal council workers clean it up. Just my opinion from my observation.
teh_tarik_satu
post Dec 27 2013, 08:39 AM

Getting Started
140 posts

even some people also xmandi pagi n direct to office. -.-
spunkberry
post Dec 28 2013, 04:15 AM

危ない人です
Group Icon
Elite
1,877 posts

it's called an "attitude problem".
danmooncake
post Dec 28 2013, 05:17 AM

Market Up, Market Down...Wheee..
9,696 posts

Take a look at the toilets in public places...horribly disgusting. Feels like 3rd world again.

Warning, do not go there and look at the images BEFORE and AFTER your meal. You may puke. whistling.gif
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

forever1979
post Dec 28 2013, 08:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,323 posts

Simple, all the contract undertake to maintain the city is by the crony which are not competent at all.
Remember last week there is a case when the rubbish contractor just threw the rubbish along MRR... this can happen in malaysia...
ezamshah65
post Dec 28 2013, 09:24 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

Go to any school and you will see rubbish strewn all over the place. If our young do not care about cleanliness, how do you expect them to behave when they grow up. It should start with the young but if the parents also treat open space as dumping ground, then we would get no where.

I tend to agree that we should allocate a few minute every day so that kids are forced to pick up trash around their school. My only worry is that there are bound to be goody parents who object because their kids are too good for that, besides we have cleaners for that, don't we?
ManutdGiggs
post Dec 28 2013, 05:04 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,071 posts

Busy makan (bribery). No time to clean up.

I have been to many countries, and not many countries can produce dirtier toilets than malaysia toilets. I wonder why??? Ng nen nen was doing nothing other than promoting other countries to Malaysian. What about promoting malaysia to other people???
john123x
post Dec 28 2013, 05:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,586 posts

ur better off worrying about GST, rising cost of living, government songlap and corruption, rising public debt...
TiramisuCoffee
post Dec 29 2013, 06:24 PM

Regular
1,016 posts

QUOTE(ManutdGiggs @ Dec 28 2013, 05:04 PM)
Busy makan (bribery). No time to clean up.

I have been to many countries, and not many countries can produce dirtier toilets than malaysia toilets. I wonder why??? Ng nen nen was doing nothing other than promoting other countries to Malaysian. What about promoting malaysia to other people???
Once I remember there was this campaign to clean up toilets nation wide. Wonder what happened to it?

Yeah, once u dropped by klia toilets, u know u r back in Malaysia! rclxms.gif
TiramisuCoffee
post Dec 29 2013, 06:25 PM

Regular
1,016 posts

QUOTE(spunkberry @ Dec 28 2013, 04:15 AM)
it's called an "attitude problem".
It's called 3rd world mentality! rclxms.gif
TiramisuCoffee
post Dec 29 2013, 06:29 PM

Regular
1,016 posts

QUOTE(JayCkat @ Dec 27 2013, 07:14 AM)
Dump sites.

I think that the Malaysia public is not aware off the location of the closest dump site.  Where are the dump site in malaysia?
Dump sites? Jalan raya, longkang, sungai... Ayah, just campak anywhere u like lah! tongue.gif no fine one... Zero enforcement here... rclxm9.gif
ManutdGiggs
post Dec 30 2013, 01:07 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,071 posts

QUOTE(TiramisuCoffee @ Dec 29 2013, 06:24 PM)
Once I remember there was this campaign to clean up toilets nation wide. Wonder what happened to it?

Yeah, once u dropped by klia toilets, u know u r back in Malaysia!  rclxms.gif
Many countries provide cleaners in toilets. Some are young people. Our bolehland dun even provide a proper cleaner. Just some outsource workers. Kerja tak kerja pun dapat minimum gaji. How??? hmm.gif
tomyamseller17
post Dec 30 2013, 01:18 AM

Getting Started
205 posts

Don't be ashamed. The average coffee shop in Thailand has gotten even cleaner than Malaysian Chinese coffee shops.

Their toilet cleaners are mostly locals who are paid fairly according to local standards compared to Malaysians who prefer to employ foreigners such as banglas and indonesians to keep the toilet clean.

It's all back to greed. Why Malaysians prefer to employ cheaper bangla workers(in fact they're now starting to ask local wage levels)?

The rich in Malaysia are again at work betraying the country of its wealth.
flik05
post Dec 30 2013, 01:53 PM

22 posts

I want to add another statement, Malaysians also like to stick their gums almost EVERYWHERE which is very disgusting. unsure.gif
rukawa
post Dec 30 2013, 02:26 PM

::+::KukuKawa::+::
1,903 posts

As usual, at times I would like to take up my phone and photograph the culprits who litter while they are driving. Then post it here.

How?
Hooidcaster
post Dec 30 2013, 05:30 PM

Getting Started
229 posts

QUOTE(dplaya @ Dec 23 2013, 12:30 PM)
Lack of enforcement and education that causes this problem keep spiraling.

Some people thinks that throwing rubbish everywhere is to provide jobs to those cleaners on the street. What kind of logic is this?

A FINE is never a solution to this kinda of problem, you need to humiliate them. Once caught, you are to FINE and do community service by CLEANING the rubbish of others. Let them feel what the cleaners feel.
not possible.. their mindset "cleaner's responsibility is to cleanup all the mess they made" can't be fix.. a good example, when my colleague actually questioned my action on cleaning coffee stain on the floor and she actually piss-off & told me, "cleaner will clean that up, its their responsibility anyway"..

i am kinda speechless.. shocking.gif
TiramisuCoffee
post Dec 30 2013, 05:58 PM

Regular
1,016 posts

QUOTE(ManutdGiggs @ Dec 30 2013, 01:07 AM)
Many countries provide cleaners in toilets. Some are young people. Our bolehland dun even provide a proper cleaner. Just some outsource workers. Kerja tak kerja pun dapat minimum gaji. How??? hmm.gif

I cannot understand why the authority don't feel any shame that our toilet is so dirty. I really malu. I don't suppose the airport authority can impose a denda onto it own self! blush.gif

TiramisuCoffee
post Dec 30 2013, 05:59 PM

Regular
1,016 posts

QUOTE(rukawa @ Dec 30 2013, 02:26 PM)
As usual, at times I would like to take up my phone and photograph the culprits who litter while they are driving. Then post it here.

How?
Good idea! rclxms.gif
TSkktong83
post Dec 31 2013, 09:26 AM

Getting Started
96 posts

I was wondering what the the government and society is thinking.... whats the point having achieve high income (soon) but everyone is living in a garbage dumpsite... isnt it better everywhere you go looks like golf course. .
Wassupman
post Dec 31 2013, 09:46 AM

Enthusiast
722 posts

before complaining about others, mind sharing what you do to take care of the cleanliness and hygiene of the environment?

and before you start complaining again, please do realize that wastes comes from ourselves, not him, her, politicians, local councils or anyone else.
TSkktong83
post Dec 31 2013, 10:21 AM

Getting Started
96 posts

QUOTE(Wassupman @ Dec 31 2013, 09:46 AM)
before complaining about others, mind sharing what you do to take care of the cleanliness and hygiene of the environment?

and before you start complaining again, please do realize that wastes comes from ourselves, not him, her, politicians, local councils or anyone else.
Sure , Why not...

1. I never throw garbage not until I find a waste bin, even the place got no waste bin.. I keep it in a plastic bag until I find 1

2. I flush everytime I use public toilet and spray water on area which are dirty

3. I pick up garbage which near to the bin (which is not mine) and throw them in ( Im doing my best .. of coz not every garbage)

4. I advice my friends and family members to do the same like me...

I believe this is the very basic thing a normal citizen should do.....

Sadly.. me myself doing is not enough....

Your point on politician or local council is arguable.. Why?

For example....I live in Klang.. so let me share with you my experience

1. Try taking a drive to Bukit Tinggi Klang.. you will realize garbage and rats are everywhere.... Try snapping a picture in an area.. Now try returning 1 month later and compare... you will realize same brand of Cans and plastic bags is still there... (I mean where the hell is the cleaner?)

Yes.. Public education is one thing.. but at least the local councils has some responsible to clean up the area at least once a week.... same like how you and me take care your home.

2. Second, local councils and government are the boss... they make the rules and the public follow... It is their responsibility to set rules and impose heavy fine on those who do not comply... If they dont.. no one will have the authority to do so..

Same like a company... if the company is not managing well and not profitable... is the worker to be blame or the CEO?

Think Again
Wassupman
post Dec 31 2013, 10:44 AM

Enthusiast
722 posts

QUOTE(kktong83 @ Dec 31 2013, 10:21 AM)
Your point on politician or local council is arguable.. Why?

For example....I live in Klang.. so let me share with you my experience

1. Try taking a drive to Bukit Tinggi Klang.. you will realize garbage and rats are everywhere.... Try snapping a picture in an area.. Now try returning 1 month later and compare... you will realize same brand of Cans and plastic bags is still there... (I mean where the hell is the cleaner?)

Yes.. Public education is one thing.. but at least the local councils has some responsible to clean up the area at least once a week.... same like how you and me take care your home.

2. Second, local councils and government are the boss... they make the rules and the public follow... It is their responsibility to set rules and impose heavy fine on those who do not comply... If they dont.. no one will have the authority to do so..

Same like a company... if the company is not managing well and not profitable... is the worker to be blame or the CEO?
Think Again
you have some good points but not entirely true.

firstly i also blame it on government for not having wastes as one of their important priority
secondly i also blame it on government for not enforcing any of the laws

and here is what i meant by not entirely true.
did you know the monthly assessment rate you are paying is not enough for the people to go around to make proper waste disposal?
did you also know there are many ignorant people who dont know the law in waste disposal?
did you also know that you are not making enough noise to keep the government pressured?
did you also know that using plastic is better for the environment?

TSkktong83
post Dec 31 2013, 11:23 AM

Getting Started
96 posts

QUOTE(Wassupman @ Dec 31 2013, 10:44 AM)
you have some good points but not entirely true.

firstly i also blame it on government for not having wastes as one of their important priority
secondly i also blame it on government for not enforcing any of the laws

and here is what i meant by not entirely true.
did you know the monthly assessment rate you are paying is not enough for the people to go around to make proper waste disposal?
did you also know there are many ignorant people who dont know the law in waste disposal?
did you also know that you are not making enough noise to keep the government pressured?
Ok.. You got your point too... But if we dig deeper...

Yes indeed. It is also the council job that they collect sufficient fund to do so or with proper budgeting.

No one will complain if we pay extra to them but they do a good job... But will, if they tax little not doing their job.

But worse is in Malaysia, the extras goes into their own pocket"

[u]Yes. Thats why Education and heavy fines is the way to make them get used to it. Like singapore.. once everyone is used to it, it became part of our life..

Thats why Im trying to do something here in Public Forum to get their attention.

[/U]Our debate is not on plastic but overall, even biodegradable waste is still a waste

This post has been edited by kktong83: Dec 31 2013, 11:33 AM
Wassupman
post Dec 31 2013, 11:49 AM

Enthusiast
722 posts

QUOTE(kktong83 @ Dec 31 2013, 11:23 AM)
Ok.. You got your point too... But if we dig deeper...

Yes indeed. It is also the council job that they collect sufficient fund to do so or with proper budgeting.

No one will complain if we pay extra to them but they do a good job... But will, if they tax little not doing their job.

But worse is in Malaysia, the extras goes into their own pocket"

[u]Yes. Thats why Education and heavy fines is the way to make them get used to it. Like singapore.. once everyone is used to it, it became part of our life..

Thats why Im trying to do something here in Public Forum to get their attention.

[/U]Our debate is not on plastic but overall, even biodegradable waste is still a waste
1) The government should raise the property taxes (not assessment rate) by a little and also ensure all household pays. I'm pretty sure those rumah kayu or rumah zinc located smacked in town are not paying any because they dont even have proper land title to begin with.

2) But do you know what is the new law on waste disposal?

3) this is a closed public forum.

4) it is somewhat related because with plastic bags you can throw your rubbish in bundle more effectively. if you throw loose rubbish, it will scatter all over.
TSkktong83
post Dec 31 2013, 12:07 PM

Getting Started
96 posts

Mind sharing? Im very familiar with industrial scheduled waste disposal but not the general waste disposal

goco17
post Dec 31 2013, 12:15 PM

Getting Started
57 posts

because majority of our ppl are selfish, they only care abt their own backyard.

This post has been edited by goco17: Dec 31 2013, 12:27 PM
Wassupman
post Dec 31 2013, 12:20 PM

Enthusiast
722 posts

QUOTE(kktong83 @ Dec 31 2013, 12:07 PM)
Mind sharing? Im very familiar with industrial scheduled waste disposal but not the general waste disposal
you are suppose to have 3 bins at home.
one for wet waste
one for dry waste
one for recyclable dry waste

when you have this three bins, you need to separate your daily waste and if you fail to do so, you will be penalized and waste will not be collected.

05 October 2012| last updated at 11:23PM
Public's duty to separate garbage
By NURADZIMMAH DAIM | [email protected]

THE Solid Waste and Public Cleaning Corporation will soon issue a new garbage collection schedule to its waste collectors, to include the collection of recyclable items.

KUALA LUMPUR: Its deputy chief executive officer (technical) Sanusi Awi said solid waste collection was being carried out three times a week.

"In the future, we will include a day for the concessionaires to collect recyclable items such as plastic bottles, aluminium cans and paper. This means two days will be designated for solid waste while the third is for collecting these items.

"We will put the schedule on our website www.ppsppa.gov.my after ironing out the details with our concessionaires. This is because we will use different lorries to collect the recyclables.

"The public should place recyclable items outside their bins on the specific day while the domestic waste should be in the bins as usual."

He said some residents had already started to separate the recyclable items and place them in a big plastic bag next to the bins.

He said Section 74 & 108(2)(g) under Act 672 (Solid Waste and Public Cleaning Management Act 2007) required the public to practise waste segregation.

"The regulation to enforce this is still a work in progress. The corporation is responsible for improving the waste management system among the public before enforcing this provision.

"The section states that any person who fails to comply with the direction under this subsection (1) may be liable to a fine of not more than RM1,000.

"Section 108(2)(g) specifies the responsibility of a person to separate recyclable solid waste."

He said waste segregation could help to reduce the quantity of waste going to the landfill.

"Kuala Lumpur has an average of 2,200 tonnes of collected garbage per day, while Putrajaya has an average of 90 tonnes daily. If everyone practices waste segregation and recycling, only 20 per cent of this rubbish will end up at the landfill."

He said Act 672 also mentioned other offences, including causing obstruction to garbage trucks during collection.

"As of now, our 800 enforcement staff nationwide are focused on ensuring that the garbage collection is done according to schedule. We are training them on the other aspects of the law such as this.

"However, before we can carry out enforcement actions, we need to educate the public on the proper way to deal with their rubbish."

To kick start the plan, he said, free bins were being distributed. The standardised bins will help the compactor with a bin lifter to work more effectively, leading to increased productivity while ensuring cleanliness.

He said 70 per cent of some 400,000 120-litre portable bins were distributed to the households where Act 672 was taking effect -- Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya, Seremban, Malacca, Johor Baru, Kelantan, Alor Star, Kangar and Pekan.

Read more: Public's duty to separate garbage - Central - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/streets/central/publ...8#ixzz2p1U7eL4d

OhNooy
post Dec 31 2013, 03:22 PM

Regular
1,133 posts

I'm annoyed with the toilets in Malaysia having bidet hose inside. It makes the toilet all time wet, and dirty.
TiramisuCoffee
post Dec 31 2013, 06:30 PM

Regular
1,016 posts

QUOTE(OhNooy @ Dec 31 2013, 03:22 PM)
I'm annoyed with the toilets in Malaysia having bidet hose inside. It makes the toilet all time wet, and dirty.
Friends, tomorrow starts visit Malaysia year ohhhh.... What a dirty host we are! Malu nya..... doh.gif
Protoculture
post Jan 1 2014, 03:26 AM

Enthusiast
903 posts

You can't simply change Malaysian's 3rd world mentality mindsets. Despite millions of RM poured in for gazonkers of health and cleanliness related campaigns throughout the years spanning generations, most of it FAILED to change Malaysians 'tidak-apa' attitude.
danmooncake
post Jan 1 2014, 11:06 PM

9,696 posts

QUOTE(Protoculture @ Jan 1 2014, 03:26 AM)
You can't simply change Malaysian's 3rd world mentality mindsets. Despite millions of RM poured in for gazonkers of health and cleanliness related campaigns throughout the years spanning generations, most of it FAILED to change Malaysians 'tidak-apa' attitude.
The only way I think to change the 'tidak-apa' attitude is to impose fine and fees unto them. Somehow, whenever there is monetary involvement, the 'tidak-apa' will become very concern. tongue.gif

MeToo
post Jan 2 2014, 04:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,977 posts

QUOTE(danmooncake @ Jan 1 2014, 11:06 PM)
The only way I think to change the 'tidak-apa' attitude is to impose fine and fees unto them.  Somehow, whenever there is monetary involvement, the 'tidak-apa' will become very concern.  tongue.gif
Oh yes... fines.

Just like exceeding the speed limit will get fined.

Hmm.... but then again more Malaysian end up paying RM50 fine instead..... and not to the govt...
rukawa
post Jan 3 2014, 03:48 PM

::+::KukuKawa::+::
1,903 posts

Fines are a way to go if only it was actually really implemented strictly.

The way I see it, not many people are bothered about the fines seeing the ones in charge are also not bothered in imposing those fines.

Bahh....
Wassupman
post Jan 3 2014, 05:03 PM

Enthusiast
722 posts

school syllabus should include a class to talk about environment and cleanliness
Mido575
post Jan 4 2014, 06:00 PM

Getting Started
123 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Jan 2 2014, 04:11 PM)
Oh yes... fines.

Just like exceeding the speed limit will get fined.

Hmm.... but then again more Malaysian end up paying RM50 fine instead..... and not to the govt...
i gotta agree with that. haha
fablefox
post Jan 5 2014, 11:35 AM

Enthusiast
770 posts

Community and family upbringing is important too...

I doesn't want to sound racist, but I used to live in OUG for around 6 month, and in Setiawangsa much much longer. The first have night market (pasar malam) predominately Chinese, while the second, Malays.

How the location (tapak pasar malam) looks like after they close shop tells me something about their attitude. The first was clean, as if everyone clean up their portion of the location. The second looks like typhoon just crash the place.

Sad really.

This was back in 2005/2006 something...
Mido575
post Jan 5 2014, 01:52 PM

Getting Started
123 posts

I agreed with keeping our country cleans start with family first. I have heard many cases the family member just throw rubbish out from their house windows whom live close or just above rivers, seaside.

Please be minded, we are talking about tons of rubbish.

fablefox
post Jan 5 2014, 06:30 PM

Enthusiast
770 posts

QUOTE(Mido575 @ Jan 5 2014, 01:52 PM)
I agreed with keeping our country cleans start with family first. I have heard many cases the family member just throw rubbish out from their house windows whom live close or just above rivers, seaside.

Please be minded, we are talking about tons of rubbish.
Not to mention cases of death and injuries resulting from heavy and dangerous trash thrown from high rise apartment!
SweeJ
post Jan 7 2014, 12:42 AM

Getting Started
64 posts

QUOTE(saldopullt @ Dec 23 2013, 10:36 AM)
When I travelled to S.Korea, I felt so embarrassed towards myself. U cant see a single rubbish in their morning market. They keep all their rubbish in their pocket until they see a garbage bin (they have even less garbage bin on the street than us). They will pick up the rubbish that others accidentally dropped. This is their culture.
I will echo whatever this poster said...... Malaysians are just a selfish lot, and have grown to be self-centred. They dispose their rubbish the most convenient way possible because they don't see it as their responsibility how their waste is being removed. In their minds, some foreign labourer or rubbish collector is paid to do it, it's not my problem. They deem rightly so as they pay taxes, which puts them in a position of demanding someone else to do it.

saldopullt
post Jan 7 2014, 09:24 AM

On my way
536 posts

QUOTE(fablefox @ Jan 5 2014, 06:30 PM)
Not to mention cases of death and injuries resulting from heavy and dangerous trash thrown from high rise apartment!
Yes its true.. There is one time my car nearly hit by object throw from floors above. Their kitchen window seems like a more convenient way to dispose domestic rubbish.. doh.gif
Until these days still there are people so uncivilized to throw rubbish out of their apartment.
MeToo
post Jan 7 2014, 03:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,977 posts

QUOTE(SweeJ @ Jan 7 2014, 12:42 AM)
I will echo whatever this poster said...... Malaysians are just a selfish lot, and have grown to be self-centred. They dispose their rubbish the most convenient way possible because they don't see it as their responsibility how their waste is being removed. In their minds, some foreign labourer or rubbish collector is paid to do it, it's not my problem. They deem rightly so as they pay taxes, which puts them in a position of demanding someone else to do it.
Not only Malaysian.

Singaporeans are the same, just that they dont do it in Singapore for fear of the authorities, they do it in Malaysia instead. I have seen SG plate car throwing an entire BAG of rambutan peel out of the car on the highway.
ASelflessStranger
post Jan 7 2014, 07:25 PM

27 posts

When human starts to appreciate themselves then they will automatically appreciate their surrounding and the society they live in. Appreciating means acknowledgement of the physical bodies relation to environment. That awareness can only be instilled through education. If government and parents do not educate environmental cleanliness and its effect on physical well being then next generation will continue on and regard this misbehavior as a part of Malaysian tradition.
TiramisuCoffee
post Jan 7 2014, 07:38 PM

Regular
1,016 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Jan 7 2014, 03:43 PM)
Not only Malaysian.

Singaporeans are the same, just that they dont do it in Singapore for fear of the authorities, they do it in Malaysia instead. I have seen SG plate car throwing an entire BAG of rambutan peel out of the car on the highway.
If we shit at our own place, why can't others also tumpang shit at same jamban?
MeToo
post Jan 7 2014, 07:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,977 posts

QUOTE(TiramisuCoffee @ Jan 7 2014, 07:38 PM)
If we shit at our own place, why can't  others also tumpang shit at same jamban?
Sure lah cannot.

If you cane your kid for misbehaving, will u allow others to cane your kid? tongue.gif
TiramisuCoffee
post Jan 7 2014, 08:44 PM

Regular
1,016 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Jan 7 2014, 07:58 PM)
Sure lah cannot.

If you cane your kid for misbehaving, will u allow others to cane your kid? tongue.gif
Here, take my belt! biggrin.gif
fu'house
post Jan 8 2014, 12:58 AM

Casual
443 posts

The answer is so direct and in front of our eyes.

1. There must be offenders, lack of enforcement and litterbugs throwing rubbish everywhere.
2. Same as no.1
3. We have "tak apa"/as long as we can eat, cleanliness isn't an issue attitude. Lack of strict enforcement.
4. A private space, lack of civic consciousness to keep toilet clean for the next person.

Strictly speaking, laws are not strict enough, weak to implement fines/keep up with the littering and ingrained mindset.

In reasoning, YOU would have thought "There will be a tukang cuci to clean toilets, not your job to clean them after use or to be selfless enough to use the toilet properly. Your children enters the toilet and didn't teach him or her enough/intrude their privacy/they are big enough so I can let go of this responsibility."

I can go on with much more but what I am saying is, human nature/behaviour is not easy to change at all. As a urban saying goes, public toilets (esp petrol stations) are always dirty as they are way too open.

Plus, I want to highlight a mindset to a specific gender mostly. Females and some males. You might see the toilet rim is stained, what is the use of putting tissues all around it or plastic/stand on it? If you can't do your business, please go somewhere else cleaner or go home to your own clean sanctuary/wear adult diaper/use the squat toilet types. If only the previous users had not dirty the rim/stand on them/cared enough to clean after use... the world will be a much better place.

This post has been edited by fu'house: Jan 8 2014, 12:59 AM
danmooncake
post Jan 8 2014, 01:12 AM

9,696 posts

One observation that I like to make is in Malaysia, a lot of streets are designed with Open drains. I don't understand why the city planners have this in mind. They are everywhere - in housing, residential, commercial and restaurants buildings.
One of the problem I see they're dirty, they don't get clean and people just throw rubbish in them to get them more congested.

A lot residential housing units complain why their families getting sick - why dengue are prevalent - yet they don't look around why their open drains are congested and breeding ground for mosquitoes and other rodents. doh.gif

You don't see many open drains in developed countries. Just learn from them if you want to be first class citizens.

This post has been edited by danmooncake: Jan 8 2014, 01:13 AM
amri94
post Jan 8 2014, 03:49 AM

Getting Started
240 posts

They should just prepare a rubbish bin every 5 metres
MeToo
post Jan 8 2014, 10:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,977 posts

QUOTE(amri94 @ Jan 8 2014, 03:49 AM)
They should just prepare a rubbish bin every 5 metres
Or people should learn to hold onto their rubbish until they find one.
TiramisuCoffee
post Jan 8 2014, 10:09 AM

Regular
1,016 posts

Sometime back, someone asked where the waste go. Try read this link. Stumbled upon this art. today. http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Community/2...d-and-disposed/
SUSDharma123
post Jan 8 2014, 02:25 PM

Getting Started
229 posts

We are dirt bags, that is wai..

I went to Phnom Penh, even the mekong river more cleaner than our Sg Klang, some more 10X bigger.
Angel of Deth
post Jan 8 2014, 08:23 PM

Regular
1,239 posts

MPKJ responded to my illegal dumps complaint after just one week. They took action, cleared all the dumps.

Unfortunately it's only a short-term fix as long as the mentality of the people, who often expect miracles to happen doesn't change. Wake up, take a long hard look at the mirror.
Johnix
post Jan 9 2014, 10:09 PM

37 posts

to be honest, i trow my cigarette bud on the floor or tar road is because i cant freaking find a dustbin. Malaysia is lack of dustbins. Does anyone notice that?
MeToo
post Jan 10 2014, 03:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,977 posts

QUOTE(Johnix @ Jan 9 2014, 10:09 PM)
to be honest, i trow my cigarette bud on the floor or tar road is because i cant freaking find a dustbin. Malaysia is lack of dustbins. Does anyone notice that?
Hmm....

Can a rapist claim he raped the woman cause he cant freaking find a prostitute/gf/wife? That Malaysia is lack of prostitute?
Brandonn
post Jan 11 2014, 06:09 PM

Enthusiast
700 posts

QUOTE(Johnix @ Jan 9 2014, 10:09 PM)
Yes, there is a lack of dusbins in Msia. BUt I do not think that is the main issue.
If people throws rubbish around just becoz there are no dustbins around, I think we have serious issues (on civic-mindedness), man.
stevenX
post Jan 11 2014, 07:58 PM

Regular
1,240 posts

QUOTE(Brandonn @ Jan 11 2014, 06:09 PM)
Yes, there is a lack of dusbins in Msia.  BUt I do not think that is the main issue.
If people throws rubbish around just becoz there are no dustbins around, I think we have serious issues (on civic-mindedness), man.
Agree, i think education does the matter.
Johnix
post Jan 12 2014, 04:38 AM

37 posts

QUOTE(Brandonn @ Jan 11 2014, 06:09 PM)
Yes, there is a lack of dusbins in Msia.  BUt I do not think that is the main issue.
what is the point of education, when you don't have the facility to practice it? Im sure education isn't the problem. One of the reason i can conclude is how the individual is raised, if he is raised by parents who litters, of course that individual will pick up the bad habit. But you have not gone down to the core fact which is, why everyone is littering. The main problem in my opinion is the lack of facilities.

Education only can bring you that far. I was thought since im young not to litter,and yes, i don't litter in public. But in come cases, like the cigarette butt, i can't just put it in my pocket till i find a bin. You then can argue, why not carry a plastic bag with you or wrap it up with a tissue paper till you see a bin and trow your butt. Tbh, even if i practice it, the general public won't practice this, because it is too much of a hassle and people will just find it easier to litter their cigarette butt on the floor. Hence, it would be easier if there were more dustbins around

This post has been edited by Johnix: Jan 12 2014, 04:40 AM
Lord Tiki Mick
post Jan 12 2014, 07:49 AM

Regular
1,003 posts

I believe it's due to the lack of enforcement. Fine anyone that litter, even a bus ticket, and actually enforce it.
Brandonn
post Jan 12 2014, 08:58 PM

Enthusiast
700 posts

QUOTE(Johnix @ Jan 12 2014, 04:38 AM)
what is the point of education, when you don't have the facility to practice it? Im sure education isn't the problem. One of the reason i can conclude is how the individual is raised, if he is raised by parents who litters, of course that individual will pick up the bad habit. But you have not gone down to the core fact which is,  why everyone is littering. The main problem in my opinion is the lack of facilities.

Education only can bring you that far. I was thought since im young not to litter,and yes, i don't litter in public. But in come cases, like the cigarette butt, i can't just put it in my pocket till i find a bin. You then can argue, why not carry a plastic bag with you or wrap it up with a tissue paper till you see a bin and trow your butt. Tbh, even if i practice it, the general public won't practice this, because it is too much of a hassle and people will just find it easier to litter their cigarette butt on the floor. Hence, it would be easier if there were more dustbins around
Of course it would be (easier if there were more dustbins around). But the fact is, we are in Malaysia, and well, things may not be as perfect as we hope it to be.

But, that does not mean that a person's social behaviour should be compromised in any way. That is the point.
joesheon
post Jan 12 2014, 11:29 PM

Getting Started
128 posts

Failed in education.

Simply throw anywhere and blame there's no dustbin around.
zer016
post Jan 13 2014, 01:22 PM

Casual
319 posts

Its unfair to only put the whole blame on the government and public authorities. The people living in here should also co-operate and compromise. Just last week, the dbkl cleared a whole lot of rubbishes all around a sign board which clearly states that there will be a fine imposed if caught anyone who still throw their rubbish there. Just that evening, I saw a car who stopped by that signboard just to throw one plastic bag of garbage. WTHH right! Don't ask me why I didnt snap a pic. I'm so sorryyy, cos when i drove by, the driver was looking at me and I got scared. LOL
MeToo
post Jan 13 2014, 02:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,977 posts

QUOTE(Lord Tiki Mick @ Jan 12 2014, 07:49 AM)
I believe it's due to the lack of enforcement. Fine anyone that litter, even a bus ticket, and actually enforce it.
If the fine is small say RM30, no one will bother enforcing it.

If the fine is BIG, say RM500, then there will be a lot of enforcement, but we will end up paying RM30~50 without receipt...

The only winner seems to be the "enforcers" tongue.gif
SUSendau02
post Jan 13 2014, 02:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,180 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Jan 10 2014, 03:34 PM)
Hmm....

Can a rapist claim he raped the woman cause he cant freaking find a prostitute/gf/wife? That Malaysia is lack of prostitute?
supposed to be NONE
Lord Tiki Mick
post Jan 13 2014, 02:30 PM

Regular
1,003 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Jan 13 2014, 02:01 PM)
If the fine is small say RM30, no one will bother enforcing it.

If the fine is BIG, say RM500, then there will be a lot of enforcement, but we will end up paying RM30~50 without receipt...

The only winner seems to be the "enforcers"  tongue.gif
Even if they have to bribe, they still lose their money right? So people would think twice before they litter.
GingerWhinger
post Jan 13 2014, 02:30 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(Lord Tiki Mick @ Jan 12 2014, 07:49 AM)
Ya I agree. It's time to get tough on dirty behaviour since government not enough money and our taxpayer $$ is spent so much on beautification/cleanliness. win/win whistling.gif
imbibug
post Jan 13 2014, 02:54 PM

Regular
1,521 posts

QUOTE(Johnix @ Jan 12 2014, 04:38 AM)
what is the point of education, when you don't have the facility to practice it? Im sure education isn't the problem. One of the reason i can conclude is how the individual is raised, if he is raised by parents who litters, of course that individual will pick up the bad habit. But you have not gone down to the core fact which is,  why everyone is littering. The main problem in my opinion is the lack of facilities.

You're right, the education aspect or 'dirty attitude' is another red herring to frame the issue as more of a personal offense.

izwankhan
post Jan 15 2014, 10:49 AM

Getting Started
88 posts

QUOTE(imbibug @ Jan 13 2014, 02:54 PM)
You're right, the education aspect or 'dirty attitude' is another red herring to frame the issue as more of a personal offense.
I believe education is not the main prime issues here. What I believe is attitude of the person. I was in AEON Tebrau's toilet yesterday and "yucks" to the cleanliness of the toilet although they have cleaner on duty.

Its hard to make Malaysians learn from this and the education level is not that bad here but still the mentality is very low.

No one can pointing fingers to anyone. Its the person itself can make the different.

PEACE.
xin
post Jan 15 2014, 12:09 PM

Maisonducat Storekeeper
6,542 posts

QUOTE(joesheon @ Jan 12 2014, 11:29 PM)
Failed in education.

Simply throw anywhere and blame there's no dustbin around.
wait till there is summon imposed on littering, then come back RWI throwing tandrum about the expensive summon instead of making it a habit to keep the rubbish and throw it when dustbin is found. That is the mentality of Malaysians, other people also throw then i also throw, nothing wrong. But when the street is dirty or so, then complaint pulak doh.gif Why cant these people lead a good example, at least to our future generations. Playing the blaming game and following what others are doing doesnt justify anything except the person being ignorant itself.
yugimudo
post Jan 15 2014, 01:56 PM

YugiX
477 posts

I think we have to face the fact we are a third world country. The basic of cleanliness is taught in school and in religion. Even in religion, rewards are given to those who keep the environment but also are ignored. Look at Al-Azhar, an Islamic university at Egypt, religious and educated but still very dirty. So, I dont think it is education fault. In primary and secondary school, each class has a dustbin and duty rooster. They even add large dustbin at the corridor, still the kids will simply throw their rubbish on the floor.

To curb this habit, we need to change the mindset of the people. We need to the drill discipline but how to do it? We barely have 0% illiteracy. We cant even cultivate reading habit (though we successfully done that using social media).

That is why, I will never trust Malaysian people handling advanced technology that have high risk. Make car, failed in 2 month. Make building, 2 month cracked. Make road, 2 month got holes everywhere. Ask meeting at 10am, 11am started meeting. Then we sibuk2 nak handle nuclear? Come on, prove that you can do little things perfectly before attempting the large things.

P/S: To smokers, it is very annoying me when you smoke, you just tap the ashes to the floor. I dont know why you do that but you are a truly the example of a third world mentality. If you cant find the tray, why dont you smoke after you finished your lunch? And possibly, you cant find the tray because it is a bloody smoke free zone?

MeToo
post Jan 15 2014, 02:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,977 posts

QUOTE(yugimudo @ Jan 15 2014, 01:56 PM)
I think we have to face the fact we are a third world country. The basic of cleanliness is taught in school and in religion. Even in religion, rewards are given to those who keep the environment but also are ignored. Look at Al-Azhar, an Islamic university at Egypt, religious and educated but still very dirty. So, I dont think it is education fault. In primary and secondary school, each class has a dustbin and duty rooster. They even add large dustbin at the corridor, still the kids will simply throw their rubbish on the floor.

To curb this habit, we need to change the mindset of the people. We need to the drill discipline but how to do it? We barely have 0% illiteracy. We cant even cultivate reading habit (though we successfully done that using social media).

That is why, I will never trust Malaysian people handling advanced technology that have high risk. Make car, failed in 2 month. Make building, 2 month cracked. Make road, 2 month got holes everywhere. Ask meeting at 10am, 11am started meeting. Then we sibuk2 nak handle nuclear? Come on, prove that you can do little things perfectly before attempting the large things.

P/S: To smokers, it is very annoying me when you smoke, you just tap the ashes to the floor. I dont know why you do that but you are a truly the example of a third world mentality. If you cant find the tray, why dont you smoke after you finished your lunch? And possibly, you cant find the tray because it is a bloody smoke free zone?
Does Malaysian even bother about no-smoke zone? There been a few times, I see ppl smoking in non-smoking restaurants, I usually walk out again if not ordered yet or cancel my order. Cause the restaurant operator dont care to enforce it. Lets not mention the authorities la.

so to me smokers are one of the most selfish bunch alive, they dont bother if u have babies around or someone sitting next to them is pregnant etc. To them lighting up wherever they like is a god given right.

This post has been edited by MeToo: Jan 15 2014, 02:10 PM
mhdsaifulaziz
post Jan 17 2014, 11:48 AM

On my way
563 posts

citizens saw whats happened around us, certain condition, parties that responsible or government didn't work on it, we can't do anything about it, thats why we have elections.
DarReNz
post Jan 24 2014, 10:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,495 posts

msians really not civic minded i think the only way to force them is to use the strict enforcement of the law just like singapore and not just pay then ok d

This post has been edited by DarReNz: Jan 24 2014, 10:49 AM
Brandonn
post Jan 25 2014, 12:07 AM

Enthusiast
700 posts

QUOTE(DarReNz @ Jan 24 2014, 10:49 AM)
msians really not civic minded i think the only way to force them is to use the strict enforcement of the law just like singapore and not just pay then ok d
Sad to say, perhaps thats the way tp go. Strict enforcement for a generation or two, and under the 'forced' cleanliness, hopefully the younger generation grow up in that clean environment, and learn to perserve the cleanliness naturally. I can see that effect somewhat happening in Spore after years of enforcement. The youngsters tend to be more conscious than the parents' generation.
Hollow21
post Jan 25 2014, 11:40 AM

On my way
558 posts

Strict enforcement, or until one supervirus come here infects many people with many casualties. A virus that spreads if hygiene not maintained. Like SARS. See what that did to HK.
Hollow21
post Jan 25 2014, 12:38 PM

On my way
558 posts

----

This post has been edited by Hollow21: Jan 25 2014, 12:39 PM
SUSPhilHellmuth
post Jan 27 2014, 05:50 PM

On my way
699 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Jan 15 2014, 02:08 PM)
Does Malaysian even bother about no-smoke zone? There been a few times, I see ppl smoking in non-smoking restaurants, I usually walk out again if not ordered yet or cancel my order. Cause the restaurant operator dont care to enforce it. Lets not mention the authorities la.

so to me smokers are one of the most selfish bunch alive, they dont bother if u have babies around or someone sitting next to them is pregnant etc. To them lighting up wherever they like is a god given right.
Lack of self awareness
edlonsc
post Jan 28 2014, 01:23 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

QUOTE(DarReNz @ Jan 24 2014, 10:49 AM)
Saw most of the Singaporean come over to Malaysia throw rubbish especially in JB area.
Wassupman
post Jan 28 2014, 01:40 PM

Enthusiast
722 posts

QUOTE(edlonsc @ Jan 28 2014, 01:23 PM)
Saw most of the Singaporean come over to Malaysia throw rubbish especially in JB area.
malaysian kot... cuma pandu kreta spore je... hahah
green_algae
post Jan 31 2014, 11:14 AM

Enthusiast
951 posts

3rd world mentality and lack of enforcment.

example: At "jangan buang sampah di sini" sign,there is like a ton of thrash stacked up.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0581sec    0.71    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 2nd December 2021 - 12:05 AM