Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Health All About Air Purifier, Info, Reviews, Comments etc

views

Onemorething
post Sep 11 2009, 12:06 AM

Getting Started
192 posts

Appreciate everyone's comments. I just landed here a month ago from Hong Kong where pollution is the talk of the town. After reading these links below, there was only one choice for me and my family and that was the very best premium air purifier on the market today at an affordable price. This is why Alen is the #1 Air Purifier in North America!

http://www.air-purifiers-america.com/ed_AP...ults-detail.asp
http://www.air-purifiers-america.com/compa...n.asp?tag=smoke
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_an.../air-purifiers/

Added on September 11, 2009, 12:08 amOnly air purifiers like the ALEN PARALDA that use "True" HEPA Media filters should be used. The filter was developed during World War II by the Atomic Energy Commission and it was designed to remove and capture radioactive dust particles from the air which might escape and present a health hazard to the researchers. The "True" HEPA filter was specifically designed to protect the Human Respiratory System. Even the CDC guidelines (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) for the transmission of tuberculosis (TB) recommend that only HEPA filters with an efficiency of 99.97% tested at 0.3 microns particle size be used.

WHAT ARE MICRONS?

A micron is a measure of length: "1 micron equals 1 millionth of a meter!". A particle that is 10 microns or less in size is not visible to the naked human eye.

Examples of some common air contaminants and their size in microns:

* Respirable Suspended Particulates (Industrial Pollution) ..(< 10 microns)
* Human Hair ......................................... (70 - 100 microns)
* Human Sneeze ................................. (10 - 100 microns)
* Pet Dander .......................................... (0.5 - 100 microns)
* Pollen ................................................... (5 - 100 microns)
* Spores from Plants .............................. (6 - 100 microns)
* Mold...................................................... (2 - 20 microns)
* Smoke ................................................... (.01 - 1 micron)
* Dust Mite Debris ................................. (0.5 - 50 microns)
* Household Dust ................................. (.05 - 100 microns)
* Skin Flakes ........................................... (0.4 - 10 microns)
* Bacteria................................................. (0.35 - 10 microns)

Its important to know this vital information to understand which air purifiers can effectively eliminate various contaminants.

I chose the Alen Paralda because its the first air purifier that is completely lead free, ozone safe, and Energy star qualified by the U.S Department of Energy and U.S Environmental Protection Agency. Meaning its extremely energy efficient. You would actually be able to pay for your air purifier in energy savings.

Here are the technical specs:

*Power Consumption: 55W
*Energy Consumption by fan speed: 1: 19W, 2: 29W, 3: 41W, 4: 55W
*Power Supply: 220V
*Controls: Electronic with light touch activation
*Room Size: For use in bedrooms, family rooms, offices
*Clock: Yes, 24 hour programmable (set speeds for when your at home or out at work)

*Dimensions: 7"W x 11"D x 28"H
*Unit Weight: 15 lbs
*Warranty: Lifetime
*Fan Speeds: 4
*HEPA filter efficiency: 99.97%
*HEPA filter life: 6-9 months continuous use
*UV lamp life: 3-5 years
*Noise level: 39 dBA on low - 60 dBA on high

-Extremely quiet operation

- Particles/waste/dust are either eliminated or contained to 99.7% by the highest quality Hepa media filter and they are not hiding inside the machine.

This post has been edited by Onemorething: Sep 11 2009, 12:16 AM
Onemorething
post Sep 16 2009, 09:16 AM

Getting Started
192 posts

Hello All, something to share. Alen Air Purifiers are #1 overall in performance, price and quality!

I have to be honest, I got sucked in by the marketing on the SHARP Plasma-cluster along with some reviews but all were based on price. I went down the track of the IQ AIR based on what I feel was an over rotation to get something that could not be disputed but price was beyond acceptable.

Going back to the SHARP models, there was NO WAY of guaranteeing if the product actually worked unless you had high end testing equipment and do a before after test.

I was absolutely stuck!

The proof therefore was very simple! When I ran the Alen Paralda there was a noticeable and REAL difference in our health, especially my wife's, who is suffering after a 6 year stay in HK. Dry throat, running nose, cough, all gone in only 3 days.

Further, I am now running Paralda in all of my bedrooms and run a model A375 Multi Gas in my living room which is absolutely excellent.

Again, while stating the obvious that you cannot put a price on you and your families health, may I submit that Alen has designed Air Purifiers which DELIVER what is advertised at a price most affordable!

One small note, the Alen Paralda is the only Energy Star Qualified unit I have seen on the market today. The difference in the premium (which again is not anywhere near what you would think), will pay for itself and one big issue that everyone does not account for is noise. The Paralda is so quiet, you wont even know its on.

I hope this helps everyone with their decision as it took over 2 years and making the wrong decisions to bring me to these conclusions.

FYI, I contact AlenCorpAsia, and understand the SE Asian office will be based in Kuala Lumpur and product line available in the next 6-8 weeks.

If you can hold on and make the correct purchase the first time, unlike me, it will be very much worth it.
Onemorething
post Sep 22 2009, 04:31 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

Everyone is getting into the Air Purifier market these days it seems. I again must emphasize the importance of spending more money on something that is proven, tested and then clearly receives a real positive conclusion from the end users (the consumer).

I have done all my research for over 2 years to come to the conclusion to use Alen Air Purifiers! WHY, they absolutely work, you will notice a difference! They have been tested by the top independent labs in the established Air Purifier Markets and come out on top!

Finally, they are as good as the top Air Purifiers used in hospitals but at a price lower than its closer competitor IQAir! It is my understanding the IQAir 250 sold in KL is around $4200RM and that Alen may be priced around $2880RM introductory which is less than 30% less expensive, considerably smaller, beautiful tower design (if that is important to you) and is whisper quiet (VERY IMPORTANT FOR SLEEPING).

SHARP AP's do not even fall into the high performance range but if you want to compare, they are only priced 25% less than Alen from my initial calculations.

Just like some purchases in life, you should not put a price on your air quality and health, however it is my understanding that Alen Corp. was built on the principal of bringing the very best performance to the consumer so price was a major consideration and why they have been so successful.

I have three Paralda's, one for each of my childrens rooms and our master bedroom and the awesome A375 which does all the hard work in my combined living room/dining area. Each Paralda also covers 400sqft while the A375 handles 800sqft.

Hope this helps!

Added on September 22, 2009, 4:47 pmHello All,

I understand that the new MD for SE Asia for Alen is setting up in KL already and will likely release the Paralda and A375UV for direct introduction in the next 3-4 weeks.

They will be targeting the major retailers as it seems there has been many requested to date.

This post has been edited by Onemorething: Sep 22 2009, 04:47 PM
Onemorething
post Sep 22 2009, 11:51 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

The Air Purifier should have at the very least a HEPA Filter, UV Filter and Ionizer. Then once you have these it is how these three are tested/perform and the quality of each working together to clean the air. Tested Effectiveness for the highest performers are 98% or greater.

As discussed, you get what you pay for and to be honest, I have yet to see any of the SHARP models measure up in the independent tests.

Furthermore, I have owned one and could not qualify or quantify if it was actually working as there was no improvement in our health however this was not the case with Alen. It made a REAL difference immediately (2-3 days). From sore throats, coughing and nasal problems, all seemed to be cleared up.

I am not knocking SHARP AP's but after owning their top Plasmacluster Model from 2008, I was not convinced it was doing me any good.

Added on September 25, 2009, 9:36 amHello All, this was written by the MD for Alen Asia about HEPA and the other values of Alen and or other high performance Air Purifiers like IQ Air.

Even at the high end of the market with IQAIR & ALEN, Alen is leading the way in providing the absolute best and innovative product at affordable prices. Why would you settle for anything less! See below!

"I think most people need to realize that a good air purifier not only has HEPA but other technologies to remove various pollutants. What really sets Alen apart is we offer a multi-filtration technology I think this will answer most of your questions.

Also note that even in other air purifiers its not the HEPA filter that removes gases from our home but the other little known technologies that are incorporated in to a high performance air purifier like IQ or Alen and this is why different models / options are offered.

Alen filtration technologies can be turned on or off depending on what you're trying to achieve.

1ST TECHNOLOGY

Photo-Catalytic Oxidation

Our A375UV is best in class and only air purifier out there that can permanently remove a wide range of gases, volatile organic compounds, smoke, ammonia, etc.. Other gas air purifiers typically use carbon, which can be a problem because carbon stores gases which can be released at a later whereas our solution permanently eliminates the gas/odor on contact. Exclusive targeted technology was developed to address specific indoor air pollutants by PhD chemists and patented.

The A375UV includes UV-PCO(UV Photo Catalytic Oxidation) technology to reduce the levels of VOC's. The interaction of UV-C light and a permanent titanium dioxide (TiO2) grid serves as a photocatalyst to carry out hydrolysis (ie.to break water into hydrogen and oxygen). As TiO2 is exposed to UV light, it becomes increasingly hydrophilic; thus, it can be used reduce concentrations of airborne pollutants such as volatile organic compounds into harmless elements. Ya, we pack a lot of technology into our little air purifiers! As a safety feature, the UV-C lights and titanium dioxide grid are located on the inner most section of the A375UV.

SECOND TECHNOLOGY

UV Light (ultraviolet)

Our UV air purifiers have been tested to eliminate over 96%,

Ultraviolet light kills microorganisms by damaging the DNA. UV radiation disrupts the chemical bonds that hold the atoms of DNA together in the microorganism. If enough of these defects accumulate on a microorganism's DNA its replication is inhibited, thereby rendering it harmless. If the damage is severe enough, the bacteria cannot repair the damage and will die.

Bacteria are single cell microorganisms that exist everywhere. They are often 0.2 to 5 microns in diameter and most do not create an issue for people. But the ones that can present problems are pretty bad problems:

* Staphylococcus aureus are bacteria known to cause "staph" infections.
* Klebsiella pneumonia is a bacteria that can cause pneumonia.
* E Coli is a bacteria that is often associated with food poisoning but it also exists in the air and can affect the respiratory system.

3RD TECHNOLOGY

NEW Silver Ion HEPA Filtration (Silver has been around for thousands of year and hopefully one of the answers to reduce swine flu)

The new Silver Ion HEPA filter eliminates up to 99% of bacteria, up to 50% of viruses that cause influenza and 99% of airborne allergens. The Silver Ion HEPA filter is coated with Silver Ion, which is antimicrobial. This keeps germs from developing inside the unit and prevents bacteria from being blown into the air. Silver Ion coatings greatly reduce the presence of fungi and bacteria within five minutes of operation. Through a process of denaturation and oxidation, the structure of the enzyme that produces oxygen gets detached and silver ion particles produce reactive oxygen in the air which works to destroy over 650 types of bacteria. Toxic to viruses and bacteria, silver ion is harmless to humans.

4TH TECHNOLOGY

True Hepa

This is the same filter technology as recommended by the US Department of Homeland Security to remove harmful airborne particles in a terrorist threat. Tested at over 1,000% better than the leading ionic air purifier and up to 50% better than leading HEPA type air purifiers by the world's leading independent test.

We have more developments on the way but this should do for now. Thanks for you're question."

This post has been edited by Onemorething: Sep 25 2009, 09:36 AM
Onemorething
post Oct 6 2009, 09:37 AM

Getting Started
192 posts

Good news for the possible massive flu season. Our new Silver Ion Hepa filters available for all models will be arriving mid-September from the U.S

The new Silver Ion HEPA filter eliminates up to 98% of bacteria, up to 50% of viruses that cause influenza and 99% of airborne allergens. The Silver Ion HEPA filter is coated with Silver Ion, which is antimicrobial. This keeps germs from developing inside the unit and prevents bacteria from being blown into the air. Silver Ion coatings greatly reduce the presence of fungi and bacteria within five minutes of operation. Through a process of denaturation and oxidation, the structure of the enzyme that produces oxygen gets detached and silver ion particles produce reactive oxygen in the air which works to destroy over 650 types of bacteria. Toxic to viruses and bacteria, silver ion is harmless to humans.

To see a diagram on how it works follow this link:

http://www.alencorpasia.com/v/vspfiles/ass...silvernano2.jpg

Onemorething
post Oct 20 2009, 10:25 AM

Getting Started
192 posts

Virus, good explanation! The MLM model accounts for a company buyer who has aligned themselves with an OEM manufacturer, could be SHARP's factory could be anyone but one thing for sure, the product is marked up accordingly through the MLM commission structure.

Your analysis for making a purchase is typical for a first time buyer of AP's. Sharp seems to have done a very good job of marketing thier product line in Asia. I know as I purchased one about 3 years ago when I lived in HK.

This issue for me is it didnt change the symptoms faced by my wife to the point where I didnt know if it was working at all. That is the big question? How do you know it is working?

The only way to know is a head to head test whereas you take the room to be purified, and do a before and after test with a Particle Analyzer.

The second way is to build your knowledge based on purely independant testing which can be found via the internet.

For me, I couldnt find a Particle Analyzer! The brand in question SHARP would not provide me with any resources showing me that they passed any independant tests nor was SHARP ever awarded anything in the Air Purification Segment.

I went the direction of trusting the independant tests and speaking directly to the top two companies which ranked very high, IQ AIR and ALEN.

Both were forthcoming with their test results however when I priced them both the IQ AIR was about 40% more expensive than the ALEN which has a TRUE HEPA FILTER plus all the benefits listed in my above posts.

Remember as well, SHARP builds everything under the sun, ALEN was build around the challenge of finding the very best, affordable solution for Air Purification. They are leading by example in both setting a new standard for quality, performance and price making them the #1 Air Purifier in America in a very short period of time.

I can understand your process for analysis as it is pretty much close to where I was 3 years ago however my requirement for guaranteed clean air and making a difference for my wife and two children came first.

Make the right decision once and price will not be an issue!
Onemorething
post Oct 21 2009, 09:46 AM

Getting Started
192 posts

BasSist,

Thanks for the links.

To All, MLM is a legitimate business model and run by legitimate companies. I should know, I used to be in AMWAY in a senior role in North America back in the 90's.

My point is AMWAY does not have the internal qualified staff which can develop products so they outsource the design (give a wish list to a manufacturer/designer) and likely have one product champion internally to launch it.

Secondly, given the MLM model the product retail price must marked up accordingly with the top line down commission structure SO the unit when sold must pay the collective.

Lastly, the Atmosphere AP comes well appointed with features and benefits which play with the Tier 1 AP's BUT at a price tag which plays there as well.

It's priced equal too or greater than the IQ AIR products which equates too over $4000-$4500 RM per unit.

If you wish to do a proper Air Purification in a 3 bedroom home, you would need at least 5 units as each only cover 395sqft each. One for each Bedroom, 1 for each living area or 2 for large living dining area.

Initial investement would run over $20,000 RM.

TCO (Total Cost Of Ownership) would be high as well as both the HEPA and Carbon Filter are priced considerably high at approx. $700 RM & $450 RM respectively PER YEAR!

I am pointing this out to all readers as they should account for both the initial cost and ongoing costs before making the right decision.

There is one company focused on Air Purification Solely, is a Tier 1 top performer, with lowest initial price, lowest ongoing costs and has become the Americas #1 Air Purifier! ALEN!
Onemorething
post Nov 16 2009, 06:50 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

Good Points Hackwire - Lifetime Warranty - But Also the Below!

Independent Tests on Performance & Price, Prove ALEN HEPA Air Purifiers are the Best Value!

- REMOVES 99.97% of All Airborne Particles!
- Rated #1 Best Value Air Purifier by Consumer Search
- Awarded 2009 Respiratory Management Product of the Year
- Rated #1 by Air Purifiers America in Performance, Quality & Ease Of Use
- The Smart Choice! Most Affordable in the Premium Priced Air Purifier Segment saving upto 50% in Initial Cost, over 70% in Ongoing Costs, Smaller Footprint, Quieter Operation & Impressive Design.

Added on November 20, 2009, 11:22 pmLatest Testimonial just in from Hong Kong on ALEN Paralda Air Purifiers.

"yesterday, far away from city smog on Lantau Island:
outdoors: 230,000 particles per litre of air (p/l) (and that was a "clear air" day, a bad day sees a million and more)
indoors: approx. 160,000 p/l
in a room with an Alen Paralda, speed 3 for 1 hour before the test: 10,000 to 11,000 p/l
directly at the air outlet of the Alen Paralda: 800-1,400 p/l
(particle size measured > 0.3 micron)

to give these values some meaning: more than 105,000 p/l are considered a health risk by the W.H.O., anything below 60,000 p/l is considered good air quality, high up in the Swiss Alps you will find 2,000 p/l ...

The Paralda did remove up to 99,5% of the particles, and reduced the room particle load by 93% within 1 hour. (120 sq/ft room)
The only downside is: it's quite noisy! But if you run it for 1-2h before going to bed on high and on 1 whilst sleeping it's no problem at all.

So - the verdict is: Alen's Paralda does what it says on the tin.
Very good filtration at an exceptionally good price.
If you want more protection (including particles below 0.3 micron) you'll have to fork out 3-4 times the money for an IQ-Air"

This reviewer did quite a thorough job of putting ALEN to the test and found the new PARALDA model to do what it says it does. Note that in my experience you can clear a room in 30 mins on high speed (setting 4), and then switch to lowest speed (setting 1) and it is whisper quiet. Finally, this reviewer stated what everyone is saying about AP's from ALEN, they are the only PREMIUM (High End/High Performance) Air Purifiers on the market today, priced within your family budget, to implement your own CLEAN AIR POLICY at home.

Added on December 29, 2009, 11:05 amTrue HEPA air filters campared to HEPA type filters

True High Efficiency Particle Arrestant (HEPA) air filters, or absolute HEPA air filters, are those HEPA media filters that satisfy a special standard of air filtration efficiency.

In particular, their HEPA media should capture at least 99.97 percent of air borne particles down to 0.3 micron in particle size.

HEPA type air filters are built by similar principles as the true HEPA air filters. That is, they are paper like media filters that use mechanical filtration to capture dust particles in their narrow passages.

Yet, the HEPA like air filters are not a good replacement for the true HEPA filters in terms of quality (though may cost less). Their media efficiency is often much worse than for the true HEPA filters (as low as 85-90 percent) especially for smaller (less than 1 micron) particles.

This post has been edited by Onemorething: Dec 29 2009, 11:05 AM
Onemorething
post Jan 4 2010, 03:39 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

The only additional comment to what I have already described from my personal experience about Sharp is that certain people complain about eye and chest irritation which is due to the amount of free radicals the ionizer gives out. Some people notice a smell of freshness in the air but this is due to the artificial purification of negative and positive ions.

While we and others see the value in having the secondary feature of an Ionizer (where low levels of negative ions improve health ranging from respiratory allergy relief to reduction of headaches), we have the option to turn ours on or off to satisfy this while SHARP's is automatic to support their patented technology!

Scientific evidence clearly shows that a hepa filter is the best choice and there is no scientific evidence showing the benefits of an ionizer yet there is a lot of evidence that demonstrates the harmful effects if this is the primary technology being used.

TRUE HEPA is the preferred, HEPA at minimum, but we at ALEN along with other top Air Purification Brands design and comply with both the Governing Agencies and Scientific Community to engineer and develop to the proven technology which has been evolving but in place for decades! Secondary to TRUE HEPA is UV which reduces airborne germs producing a healthier environment. Lastly is the Negative Ionizer to be used as needed.

Related Article Below

http://www.cancer-10.com/about-cancer/ioni...s-or-fraud.html

Also note, that SHARP's actual warranty is shorter than it's filter life which is really a red flag for me...but if you work for SHARP you already know that!

At this point, if you are unable to agree with what has been stated, compared or produced scientifically or independantly, may I suggest we agree to disagree and move on and let those on the LYN decide for themselves.

Onemorething
post Jan 6 2010, 06:36 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

Again, we can agree to disagree! Buyers should be fully educated on each product and not mislead in any way.

Alen is America's #1 Air Purifier and was 2009 Respiratory Product of the Year! They use industry leading TRUE HEPA Filtration technology and offer a Premium Air Purification Product at an affordable price.

They were first to be LEAD FREE, ENERGY STAR and OZONE SAFE!

Accusing me of personal gain through simply providing the best overall Air Purification product and advice with a leading industry proven and awarded AP unlike most others is utter nonsense and unlike other AP's we can back it up!

Not just with a LIFETIME WARRANTY but read the thousands of reviews by end users who are not only satisfied but thoroughly confinced of the REAL PHYSICAL results in their homes.

In my experience, consumers will rarely admit to a wrong purchase, it's human nature but when they find something that does what it claims to do they back it up with testimonials. Google ALEN and read all the reviews!

For those who tried the link and had no success! Here it is again.

http://www.cancer-10.com/about-cancer/ioni...s-or-fraud.html

Onemorething
post Feb 4 2010, 01:21 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

QUOTE(bomic @ Feb 1 2010, 08:53 PM)
Dear All,

Just would like to share that I've a brand new unit of Honeywell Air Purifier with 2 years warranty would like to sell. More info could be found in this thread:

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...68&hl=honeywell

Thank you.
Hello, just curious but what is the reason for selling?
Onemorething
post Feb 22 2010, 02:00 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

QUOTE(jgtc @ Feb 8 2010, 05:32 PM)
Hi,
I've just bought the Medklinn 3 weeks ago. TO those that don't know. nagative ions are great for health but Ozone is very bad for the lungs ( good for killing odours ). After using the unit for a week, i find that this unit seem to generate alot of ozone- the metallic smell. True negative ions doens't have much smell at all.
I came across another negative ion generator calle serumi ( from Japan) that promises to generate 1 million ions at 1 meter away. the saleperson has a gadget for measuring ions. Out of curiosity, I brought the medklinn for him to test. His machine measured more then advertised ( about 1.5 million Ions at 1 meter) the medklinn generated almost zilch- 5-10,000 - ions at source ( this means placing the device touching the medklinn)- FYI- in normal air, yo can find 5-10000 ions also.
Therefore, All I got was lots of ozone & no ions.
I bought the serumi and it really made a difference. I sleep better and there is no awful ozone.
I've made my complaints, let's see what they do. My suspicion is that it's not defective, just in effective as it sure generates ozone very well.
Google top air purifiers and you WONT find any ionic air purfiers listed!

HEPA should be the primary filtration method!

The TOP AP's have TRUE (ABLSOLUTE) HEPA filtration which makes them the very best choice.

Having the option to deploy negative IONS via an ON/OFF featured Ionizer on a TRUE (ABSOLUTE) HEPA AP is the way you need to go.

It is actually the ability to add low levels of negative ions to HEPA filtered air which can improve health ranging from respiratory allergy relief to reduction in headaches. Most of this is already handled via the HEPA filtered air but for some individuals such as myself and my wife, we find using the Ionizer option of value when one of us feels our breathing could improve slightly more OR we have a headache prior to going to bed at night.

Add a UV Lamp which kills levels of bacteria by reducing airborne germs and you have one very healthy environment in your home.

Make sure any unit you purchase is certified OZONE SAFE!
Onemorething
post Mar 31 2015, 06:26 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

QUOTE(Saladz @ Feb 21 2015, 02:19 PM)
I have yet to try it personally. I just read about it from hundreds of buyers' reviews regarding the Plasmacluster.

Regarding the ozone issue, many air purifier companies have solved that problem as well. The Sharp's Plasmacluster is ozone-free and has statistics to prove it.

Maybe you can try Sharp's Plasmacluster for your car's air purifier.

The con is that it will dehumidify and dries up the surroundings. I hate dry throats haha.
If your air purifier uses H12 Grade Certified HEPA Media (Filter) matched with a total system efficiency of 98%+ then you would rarely have to use your ionizer. Note that Ionization is only the process of cleaning the air, NOT purifying it. That is why ionizers alone only offer temporary relief as the particle while isolated still remains to be re-activated later and in re-introduced into your breathing environment.

I'm sorry but unless the brand is in the Premium Segment, offers H12 Grade HEPA and can prove to reduce the particle counts in your environment to safe levels by WHO PM2.5 guidelines you will not see the relief if you are an asthma, allergy or respiratory illness suffer in this country. TRUE HEPA is only a marketing term but does apply to Air Purifiers typically which are tested to use H12 at efficiencies (at source of 98%+) however when used in a room in which they are rated to (max room size), they must be able to show you the particle count dropping to the desired safe zone.

Only trust top US/EURO brands when offering posted HEPA rated filter media they use, followed by total system efficiency numbers they are willing to post (which excludes 95% of the market) and then back in up with a live particle count test in you office or home.

As for Ozone Safe Ionizers, only the ones which pass the CARB (California Air Research Board) certification program are within the safe Ozone emission levels. Most air purifiers in Malaysia are not listed anyhow.

This post has been edited by Onemorething: Mar 31 2015, 06:28 PM
Onemorething
post Sep 2 2015, 08:32 AM

Getting Started
192 posts

Many of you ask the same questions so we have listed the most important items you need to consider before buying your 1st or subsequent air purifiers. Note that only 5% of the brands offered in this region offer H12 HEPA filtration which will capture dangerous particles set at the PM2.5 level to start and only a couple will do it at an efficient rate to move your air quality into a safe zone.

If you want to know if your air purifier is working you should significantly feel the difference even if for only preventative needs. If you suffer from Allergies or Asthma or respiratory problems, these symptoms should basically be relieved within 48 hours if you've chosen a top air purifier. Finally, if the brand or salesperson cannot show you the benefit of the air purifier in a real demonstration using a digital particle counter, how will you even know it's really working. Don't be a victim of marketing or payment plans just to get you the product offered. The PROOF must be offered!

At the very least, if you do not wish to do your homework carefully and follow a good guide like the below, then focus on buying air purification solution from companies who ONLY FOCUS on air purification. Remove companies which offer multiple electronics, sell at retail level with very little in-store knowledge and look to companies that supply to the medical/commercial/corporate office clean air solutions level.

Good Luck, choosing the right Air Purifier can be exhaustive but not if your informed and educated!

Choosing An Air Purification Solution!

The following are the key point when making a smart decision;
• Minimum Filter Requirements (H12 Grade Certified HEPA) which sets the capture capabilities of the filter to the fine particle level as described under the EPA/WHO PM2.5 standard (0.3-2.5 microns).
• Total System Efficiency (TSE) which is a function of how well the air purifier performs using the above H12 HEPA filter. This is of absolute importance when processing ambient particles far exceeding the allowable limits so you, under all circumstances, are within the safe/acceptable levels. To handle the air quality in Malaysia, look for 98%+ efficiency ONLY.
• Coverage – Each air purifier has as SQFT/SQM maximum floor area coverage. This is a function of Air Flow, Speed and relates to performance based on how many air exchanges per/hr the unit can delivery. Don't be fooled by false coverage claims and make them test to support these claims.
• Duration to Safe Levels – This is a function of time (duration) of which an air purifier can initially process an un-purified space to a safe level.
• Noise – For spaces occupied by humans and where noise levels are important for the health and comfort of your teams, acceptable noise levels measured in dB are critical. Note that for air purifiers to perform as stated above, higher motor speeds are needed and therefore cause unacceptable noise levels.
• Power Consumption – With energy costs rising and with numerous deployments (# of units) within corporate spaces, this is another very important factor.
• Safety – Related to the design and emissions of air purifiers trust only the top brands/suppliers to delivery on safety. Make sure the unit is RoHS compliant and meet the highest California Air Research Board (CARB) standards for lead free, ozone safe operation in the world.
• Initial Cost – While cost is not the only key measure when specifying an air purification solution, it’s obviously an important one so having both the cost per unit, cost per SQM of coverage and flexibility to right-size the complete solution is Smart Choice!
• Ongoing Cost – Now that you’ve procured your solution, the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) is in most cases as important as the initial event.
• Warranty – When procuring an air purification solution, the warranty of those devices based on the delivery of safe, purified air is crucial to your team health.
• Ease-Of-Use - An air purifier by design should be intuitive and furthermore communicative as it relates to its function. Choose brands which lead industry in this respect with the cleanest and clearest designs in the industry. Furthermore, choose a brand which offers the Best-In-Class Technology.

Finally, how many times have you heard of someone buying an air purifier and NOT seeing results related to the reason they purchased it? Almost always if they admit it! How often do you hear about consumers unable to find replacement filters for their air purifiers? Consumer Air Purification brands have short Life-Cycles and therefore your air purifier could only have a shelf life of 2-3 years if not supported by an AIR PURIFICATION ONLY BRAND!

Premium Air Purification brands in Malaysia are scarce at best but they do exist and they do offer LONG Life-Cycles and associated filter replacements for many years. Most 5 years+, some even longer so that the cost of buying an air purifier that actually works which you will reasonably pay more for will likely cost you less year than the cheaper consumer brands which really offer little relief.

Buy Smart, Protect Yourself and your Family Properly!

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0154sec    0.58    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:17 PM