Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Help me choose suitable dogs

views

TSkensoO0
post Dec 18 2013, 02:40 PM, updated 10y ago

44 posts

There are young kids in the new home with a fairly large space garden. Everyone seem interested in puppies from Rockweiller, Maltese, Schnauzer, Poodle, Pitbull and German Shepherd. Since all got their own opinions, can owners here relate the pros and cons of the species here?

People with over zealous and very judgemental opinions need not reply.

I am asking for owner views as nothing is set yet. We intend to take care of it very well.
decentdevil
post Dec 19 2013, 11:06 AM

43 posts

I trust you have read through online and carefully think through about over 10 years responsibility of owning a dog..
Here is some pointers, list might goes on but for a start ...

Do you have kids in the house?
Do you intend to get a pet as guard dog?
Is there any specific requirement you need from the dogs?
Any special conditions to comply when you or your family member take care / walk the dog?
what size of the dog you wish to have?
Long or short coat?

acbc
post Dec 19 2013, 11:07 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,476 posts

I prefer smaller dogs like Spitz or Pomeranian.
xecton
post Dec 19 2013, 04:13 PM

The Reverend
734 posts

First thing you should do is to decide which type of dog you want first.
Roughly saying,

Working dogs: Rottweiler, Pitbull, German Shepherd and Doberman(my addition to your list)
Toy dogs: Maltese, Schnauzer, Poodle

You probably need to sort out these choices first amongst the family before going to the specific breed.
Those who like working dogs most likely won't like the toy breeds, and vice versa.

Sort that out first, then go from there into the specific breed.

Or when in doubt, get a Retriever

user posted image
TSkensoO0
post Dec 30 2013, 06:09 PM

44 posts

Need to be a guard dog but not super aggressive. Just attentive and conscious of strangers. Everyone here like dogs. I am the only one who had dogs when I was very young but it was my dad who took care of them a long time ago.
Everyone here including the young kids has their own favorite species.
Walking and running on the weekends is fine. Not on weekdays due to work and school. Is there any breed that do not shed hairs too much and intelligent? I do not think hyper attention seeking dog types are for us. Everyone is kind here and probably want another dog later but for now deciding on which breed is still ... rclxub.gif

edmund90
post Dec 31 2013, 10:52 AM

Getting Started
171 posts

How about dalmatian?

It is a very intelligent dog.

Obedient? Depends how you much love you give in.

This post has been edited by edmund90: Dec 31 2013, 10:52 AM
ahgan91
post Dec 31 2013, 02:40 PM

40 posts

Golden will be the best for your family....
Wanna
post Dec 31 2013, 03:30 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(kensoO0 @ Dec 30 2013, 06:09 PM)
Need to be a guard dog but not super aggressive. Just attentive and conscious of strangers.  Everyone here like dogs. I am the only one who had dogs when I was very young but it was my dad who took care of them a long time ago.
Walking and running on the weekends is fine. Not on weekdays due to work and school.  Is there any breed that do not shed hairs too much and intelligent?  I do not think hyper attention seeking dog types are for us.    Everyone is kind here and probably want another dog later but for now deciding on which breed is still ... rclxub.gif
Hi,
Maybe you can consider getting a Miniature Schnauzer as your pet dog. They are highly intelligent and easy to train. they are very alert and conscious of stranger and sound. They do not shed and their fur doesnt caused much dander. Even patient suffer from asthma and alergic can co-exist with a Miniature Schnauzer.

Just my 2 cent and a proud owner of a pair of Schnauzer and Poodle.
Mr. Z
post Jan 3 2014, 05:14 PM

On my way
601 posts

QUOTE(kensoO0 @ Dec 30 2013, 06:09 PM)
Need to be a guard dog but not super aggressive. Just attentive and conscious of strangers.  Everyone here like dogs. I am the only one who had dogs when I was very young but it was my dad who took care of them a long time ago.
Walking and running on the weekends is fine. Not on weekdays due to work and school.  Is there any breed that do not shed hairs too much and intelligent?  I do not think hyper attention seeking dog types are for us.    Everyone is kind here and probably want another dog later but for now deciding on which breed is still ... rclxub.gif
I dun usually post here, but i would hate for a good working dog to fall into a wrong hand.

First of all, large active breeds like those working dogs listed here are have high energy drive. They need to be "worked" to expense off their energy. If you cant commit to a long walk a day, then you would have to look for dogs with low energy drive. They may look nice and all, but they are in fact a very functional breed that needs to be taught what to do and properly taken care of due to their temperament and size, hence it is recommended to experience handler only.

Trust me, you wouldnt want a large dog around if you are not ready to control them. Health care and food is going to cost more compared to a smaller breed. Not to forget proper training for YOU and the dog is going to be necessary. I mentioned YOU because you need to learn how to handle the dog.

If you dun need a dog to take to fend off intruders and strangers, and can't dedicate too much time to the dog, a toy dog would be perfect. They have lower energy drive, and easily satisfied if your kids spends time with the dog indoor (e.g play ball etc). *I m an advocate of having dogs indoor.

Not trying to put you off owning large breeds and stuff, but you need to know the cons before you can appreciate the pros. wink.gif

Feel free to prompt more. I m sure you have alot of things in your mind when considering a dog.
cliffang83
post Jan 4 2014, 10:20 AM

Enthusiast
801 posts

Not much choice if you want guard dog...
if you just want to have a dog which bark when there's stranger... you have many choices....
maybe try to slim down your criteria by thinking what size of dog you are looking for then shall work from there...
decentdevil
post Jan 5 2014, 12:34 AM

43 posts

Agreed with Mr Z input.
Guard dog usually bigger in size and need to drain their energy.
daily walk is a must and you also need to prepare enough space for them to run around.
For my case, I need a guard dog but in mid size so that my wife can walk them when I am not around.. I got myself a English Bull Terrier .. Awesome breed but definitely not suitable for first timer...

do consider standard size Schnauzer or Poodle .. They are easily train, work extremely well with kids and very alert and can be kept in the house.
xecton
post Jan 5 2014, 10:17 PM

The Reverend
734 posts

Since you are not willing to take the dog for a daily walk, then the best thing to do is to get a small dog where you can play with it in the yard to burn it's energy.
TSkensoO0
post Oct 15 2014, 07:09 PM

44 posts

Since a Schnauzer or Poodle or Retriever can do the job perhaps short of attacking like a German Shepherd, it is on my list for Xmas.
jagungmaliong
post Oct 15 2014, 10:27 PM

0 posts

small dog is good .. more space to run and more energitic .

good to do training ..

big dogs dun run offen.. more to sleep.

CheeseTiramisu
post Oct 16 2014, 08:55 AM

6 posts

check these sites out.
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/#g
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/buying/
http://www.petmedsonline.org/Top-10-easies...dog-breeds.html

These sites seem to have left out the American Bully. You can consider that one as well, its very friendly to people and extremely pain tolerant. So your kids can be very rough with the dog if they want, needs exercise daily but mine gets once every 2-3 days. If your kids play with the dog, teach them to play fetch with it and it should be enough. Only con I see is that the dog is not very territorial and will only become aggressive if its loved ones are in danger. So if robber comes in, maybe it wont attack. Only will attack if you and family is threatened. But the dog is very muscular and is very similar to pitbull. If robber sees it, maybe he run away first. If you do want to get one, please do be aware that its normal for the breeders to cut the ears. So if you plan to get one, you may need to notify the breeder or shop ahead of time that you want one without the ears cut. This is my one regret with my bully.

From the looks of it, you may want to pay special attention to your future dog's;
1) shedding - GSD and husky are the worst culprits =.=
2) exercise requirement - any type of energetic dog. My GSD runs about 2km every 2-3 days with me. Thats less than 15 mins.
3) medical expenses - i.e. english bulldog is very well known as the breed requiring frequent vet visits, especially in late years of life.
4) size - too big and your vet visits can be a pain in the ass. too small, and it won't be too good as a guard dog, and makes it very easy to steal.
5) Food requirements - this may not seem much, but can matter in the long run. big dog eats more, and if yours is the type that require good quality food you may need to reconsider getting that big breed.
6) biting tendencies - this one varies from dog to dog, but extremely energetic breeds which do not get their exercise will do it. learn to get them to use the chew toys. can try out kong dog toys. good reviews about it.
7) ease of training / dog intelligence - see below

Lastly, you should really do research into dog training as a home owner and pack leadership. As the saying goes, dogs should be your pet. Dont end up as you being the dog's pet. I believe that bad upbringing and training will result in a bad dog that will eventually cause trouble or the owners to want to dump the dog. A spoilt dog is worse than a spoilt child. some dogs can be extremely stubborn ie english bulldog. Others can be very easy to train i.e. poodle.
dynamic123
post Oct 16 2014, 08:58 AM

Casual
325 posts

FRENCH BULLDOG.
CheeseTiramisu
post Oct 16 2014, 09:02 AM

6 posts

As Mr Z says, you need to know the cons before even looking at the pros. From what I see in the past, the cons will usually make up the owners' minds to get rid of the dogs, despite the pros. Just one con is more than enough to make people overlook the pros. Its really disappointing to see how ignorant people can be when it comes to pets.

Its good that nothing is set in stone for you. You've got plenty of options and from the looks of your requirements, you have a lot of choices. good luck with your search.

Edit: with regards to my previous comment about training; As far as training goes, you don't have to spend a single cent. All the info is on the net and youtube. I suggest using your weekends to take your dog to dog parks to socialize with people and other dogs (make sure your dog is fully vaccinated before this. And you probably need to bathe them after these trips) as opposed to taking them for walks. Just be careful and watch out for aggressive breeds. You don't want your dog loose when there's a aggressive dog going around playing rough. If you cannot confront these dogs in event of an attack, grab your dog immediately and go home, esp if the owners cant seem to be bothered to keep their dog under control.

This post has been edited by CheeseTiramisu: Oct 16 2014, 09:11 AM
kuluuluk
post Oct 16 2014, 09:30 AM

K u l u u l u K
2,178 posts

Actually, its matter of preference. I own boxer, lab , pit bull, local dogs and schnauzer. they all have different temperament but it is easy to handle them if you have the heart for long term commitment (expenses, time, care and love).

Big or small size dogs need the above. There's many breed that would perfectly fit into a lazy but caring owner but we don't have them in Malaysia. (check out greyhound or welish terrier or .. so on)

Back to this topic, a Schnauzer shed really little to none. My others... shed mid lot. Intelligent, well its the matter on how much time you are willing to spend on training. Patience and consistent is a must, so makes little different. The only different is how well they show affection to you.

As for expenses, I would say on you need to know each breed's genetic defects before getting them. Example schnauzer are prone to skin problem and stone issue. So, you need to feed them the correct food and treats. Basically poor quality food is a BIG no no to all dogs and only select types of meat for specific dogs. Some says tap water will do but like schnauzer, they are prone to stone so distilled or osmosis water is the choice. I didn't say you can't give them tap water but lowering the risk of getting stone (prevention vs cure)

So at the end, commitment and resolve is your answer. Read online for each breed that you have in your list and only ask us a more specific question....

I hope this helps

muu85
post Oct 16 2014, 11:37 AM

5 posts

I am a Cesar Millan fans and i have a book call " How to raise a perfect dog". You should try read the book and made your decision. icon_rolleyes.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0173sec    0.38    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:28 PM