Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Car Tint Advice - V2, Raytech, Vkool, Huper Optic, 3M or .....

views

RicoT
post Mar 8 2015, 08:47 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

Hi, anyone here is familiar with tint vs. GPS/SmartTag?

I have two cars fitted with VKool Elite, spec. as below from website:
Visible Light Transmittance : 73.2%
Visible Light Reflectance : 8%
UV Rejection : 99%
Shading Coefficient : 0.5
IR Rejection : 94%

I couldn't use my GPS in the car and SmartTag is harder to be detected.

Can anyone suggest me what is the influencing factor for tint to cause problems to GPS? IR Rejection too high?

I am looking to replace the tint for another car of mine since it has bubbled after donkey years of usage.
RicoT
post Mar 8 2015, 10:54 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(lonely143 @ Mar 8 2015, 09:16 PM)
I believe yours is old version of VK Elite and the color is green (At least 5 years and above)
The improved version of VK Elite now is GPS and Smart Tag friendly
Hmm.. One car was placed 2012 at VKool PJ, another one by Nissan Showroom late last year only. Shade colour looks bluish. GPS can work only if placed directly under the windscreen, but still with weak signal and take a long time to pinpoint my location.
RicoT
post Mar 28 2015, 09:41 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

Hi, I am looking for reputable tint, with great heat rejection and able to use phone GPS perfectly inside the car. I know VKool Elite is out of the consideration list because GPS cannot get signal at all or intermittently. I only know some popular brands are VKool, Raytech, 3M, Llumar, EcoTint, dan lain-lain.

I know if I walk into a tint shop, the boss will say can one can one, then later put, and say aiya, you want the best of course cannot use gps one.

So I seek sifu advice on this matter. Please recommend your tint and whether the phone gps can work perfectly or not. I will search up online for the spec sheet.

Thank you!
RicoT
post Mar 29 2015, 07:29 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(lonely143 @ Mar 29 2015, 12:07 AM)
Seriously I use V-Kool 55 on my myvi and my Iphone Waze works perfectly
Did your position lag a lot when driving around? Or mispositioned often? How long does it get hold of your position?

QUOTE(Lord Gitsy @ Mar 29 2015, 03:58 PM)
Hi buddy,

Most films can work with GPS nowadays, it's smart tag detection that you should be more concern of. Cheers smile.gif
I am thinking Huber Optik or 3M, need some feedback from users. I understand it is harder to detect smarttag, slower to detect.

QUOTE(Lord Gitsy @ Mar 29 2015, 04:00 PM)
News says that it will only be enforced on 1st of May, providing if they do not postpone it yet again or cancel of the changing of the rules for good.
Yes bro It's correct smile.gif
I am thinking whether to do 70-50-30 now or later. If I opt to do it later, 1 month without tint. Do you think the shop would do 70-50 for the front and front side, then come 1 May do 30 for the rest? doh.gif

This post has been edited by RicoT: Mar 29 2015, 07:30 PM
RicoT
post Mar 30 2015, 10:53 AM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(sleepwalker @ Mar 30 2015, 10:41 AM)
If you are concerned about being legal then it should be 90-70-50. Unless you have crystal clear glass for windows, 70-50-30 will fail all test by JPJ as the original tint of the glass will bring the final VLT to below the compliant limit.
Yes, I am thinking of what is the norm for people to put up their tint. The tint shop straight recommend for 70-50 for tint, without taking into account for the glass VLT.

This post has been edited by RicoT: Mar 30 2015, 10:55 AM
RicoT
post Jan 18 2017, 12:48 AM

Getting Started
200 posts

Quite disappointing with VKool Elite, GPS doesn't works. Should have gone for 3M Crystalline... bangwall.gif
RicoT
post Jan 18 2017, 02:36 AM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(leo0089 @ Jan 18 2017, 01:43 AM)
Interesting, but then 3M Crystalline is prone to smarttag issues right?  hmm.gif
Yes, high-end ceramic based tint, e.g. 3M Crystalline, Huper Optik, etc. GPS no problem but SmartTag (IR signal) will have problem (Tried on my friend's 3M Crystalline). But can cut a rectangular hole for SmartTag since SmartTag position is basically fixed. Or place it at the black dotted area near the rear view mirror (shouldn't have tint there else will easily form bubble over time if installer not good enough). Again, if there is tint, you can cut a hole there for putting SmartTag. No big deal.
RicoT
post Jan 18 2017, 09:49 AM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(I'm V-Kool @ Jan 18 2017, 08:53 AM)
FYI, Crystalline is Metal Based film.
Huper Optik is Ceramic Based and GPS and Smart Tag friendly.

May I know what type GPS you using right now?
Both hand held and phone type GPS. Cut down GPS signal kau2. Only left at maximum 40% GPS signal even left 2cm under the windscreen and couldn't sustain an accurate fix, GPS position keep jumping around. Any more than 2cm, GPS signal completely gone.
RicoT
post Jan 18 2017, 10:23 AM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(I'm V-Kool @ Jan 18 2017, 08:53 AM)
FYI, Crystalline is Metal Based film.
Huper Optik is Ceramic Based and GPS and Smart Tag friendly.

May I know what type GPS you using right now?
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Are you sure 3M is metallic?
RicoT
post Jan 18 2017, 12:01 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(I'm V-Kool @ Jan 18 2017, 11:14 AM)
That's is kinda weird, you have done the installation recently?
Sometimes Android phone will have some problem with GPS detection after V-Kool film installation.
I am using Iphone 6 and 4s with complete V-Kool 40 and GPS work perfectly.

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-...92716668&rt=rud

They claim are non metalized film, but it is weird that block out Smart Tag signal
I had installed VKool Elite and Security on 3 of my family's cars include mine. Installation date from 2011 to 2015. All of them have intermittent GPS signal problem, and the further away from the windows/windscreen, GPS signal is almost non-existence. Only when the phone is touching the windscreen, I can get on average 40% signal, and I could not even use it around buildings and under overhead bridge, GPS position is delayed and many turns missed, even those HU with built-in offline maps like Nissan Serena S-Hybrid HU have difficulty getting a position lock with VKool Elite. I have to drive about 15 min to get a lock, if I am lucky. A check with "GPS Status" app shows unreliable GPS receive signal, after 3cm from the windscreen, as well as diminished mobile reception signal. Disadvantage of metallic tint is because of Faraday's Cage Effect, all radio signal will be lost or attenuated significantly, that is why you don't receive good signal in lifts.

3M Crystalline can cut down IR significantly (which is also a product of heat), SmartTag uses IR signals to transmit, hence the inability for the toll reader to scan your tag.
RicoT
post Jan 18 2017, 03:21 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(I'm V-Kool @ Jan 18 2017, 11:14 AM)
That's is kinda weird, you have done the installation recently?
Sometimes Android phone will have some problem with GPS detection after V-Kool film installation.
I am using Iphone 6 and 4s with complete V-Kool 40 and GPS work perfectly.

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-...92716668&rt=rud

They claim are non metalized film, but it is weird that block out Smart Tag signal
Just noticed you mentioned VKool 40, I mine is VKool Elite.
RicoT
post Jan 18 2017, 03:52 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(numbertwo @ Jan 18 2017, 03:39 PM)
I did use the Garmin significantly before Waze pops up and I have had vkool elite (whole car) in one of my cars.  To catch the GPS signal for the VERY first time, I remember i have to hold the Garmin outside the windows for few mins .. but since then, I didn't have to do it anymore and it was be able to get the signal everytime i needed to use it.  Vk elite also has no problem on Smarttag.. The latest Vkool Elite (vk 70?) installation in one of my family car was just about 1 year ago.  Just to share.
Maybe the metallic effect reduced over time, but mine two years still the same GPS signal problem. Have to put directly on the windscreen to get some GPS signal, and it is not strong enough to get an accurate fix, keep bouncing around different roads, and it is intermittent. Try download "GPS Status" app and see how many bars of GPS signal you get. Mine only 1-2 bars, and many times none on the road, which cause Waze to go haywire.
RicoT
post Jan 18 2017, 05:23 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(I'm V-Kool @ Jan 18 2017, 04:24 PM)
@Rico there is few solutions you can try

1. Try switch with other phone or devices.
Eg - Android vs Iphone vs Garmin

2. Get GPS signal by winding down the window.
1. iPhone 6s, Samsung Note 2, S7 Edge, A5 GPS, Nissan Serena S-Hybrid HU, all have GPS intermittent signal, delayed and haywire GPS position.
2. That is not a good solution by winding down the window every time the GPS signal loss. Might as well remove the tint.

I'll cut a small hole later at the tint to accommodate my phone holder position.
RicoT
post Jan 18 2017, 06:05 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(I'm V-Kool @ Jan 18 2017, 05:43 PM)
What I mean is wind down the window and get the GPS signal 1st, after that wind it back.
Where did you did the installation?
VKool HQ PJ, VKool authorised installer at Shah Alam & Klang (No idea where the car dealer went). But all have VKool warranty card.

This post has been edited by RicoT: Jan 18 2017, 06:05 PM
RicoT
post May 10 2019, 12:11 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(cucubud @ May 9 2019, 04:42 PM)
Your VKool can use with smart tag, auto gate remote and gps?
Smart tag signal reduced, need to be pass very slow. Autogate/Gatepass signal also will reduced significantly. GPS lagi teruk to the point it is unusable unless you put your phone directly under the windscreen and touching the windscreen for almost full signal.

If you need GPS navigation, stay away from VKool. It may be the best, but it is fundamentally flawed for GPS or radio signal usage. It may also affects RFID in the future.

I am using VKool Elite and I quite regret my decision in listening to the salesman, three times, three different cars, at three different times. No improvement at all to GPS, autogate and smart tag.

If you go for Huper Optik or 3M Crystalline, you can cut a hole for the Smart Tag (Smart Tag is using infra-red signal, not radio wave), or stick your smart tag at the black dotted area behind your rear view mirror. Usually they won't tint there. The black dotted area also camouflage the smart tag so it is not that visible when looking from outside the car.

This post has been edited by RicoT: May 10 2019, 12:22 PM
RicoT
post May 10 2019, 12:53 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(cucubud @ May 10 2019, 12:37 PM)
Thank you for your replies.
I thought VKool has improved on their tint films.
Last time I have VKool installed on my Unser. I have issues with Smart Tag and GPS.
On my newer cars, I went with Huper Optik. No issue with Smart Tag and GPS but heat rejection is not as good as VKool.
On my new car, I thought of going back to VKool.
Now with your replies, I might have to test out their film first (need them to give me a piece of their film to wrap my Smart Tag to test).
My advice, stay away from VKool if you need to use your GPS to navigate around. SmartTag is okay but need to drive very slow to pass through, but gatepass can't use and autogate remote reduced. Alternatively on the expensive side of tint, perhaps 3M Crystalline. Or mid range, Llumar, Hamel, etc.

Salesman will sure say improve la, GPS no problem la, gatepass no problem la, just to secure sales (usual salesman talk la, which salesman will say their product is bad? Don't get misled.). After pasang, no improvement. Don't believe the VKool salesman.

This post has been edited by RicoT: May 10 2019, 12:55 PM
RicoT
post May 10 2019, 09:18 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(cucubud @ May 10 2019, 03:09 PM)
I guess if we go with films that have high rejection this and that, Smart Tag, GPS and gate remote cannot use.
If want to use Smart Tag, GPS and gate remote, then have to look for moderate rejection this and that.
Can't have both.
Ceramic based tint some have very good IR/heat rejection, causing smart tag problem, but I think that is about it.

VKool being metallic tint have a lot of issues. Of course, if you are not using GPS, smart tag, gate pass, or home gate remote, then these issues won't cause you any inconvenience.

QUOTE(I'm V-Kool @ May 10 2019, 03:59 PM)
I'm using Smart Tag (latest model) and GPS Navigation (IPhone - Waze) no problem at all.
iPhone, Samsung, Huawei all have diminished GPS signal, in all three of my car's using VKool Elite tint.
As for the RFID, we have customer put it outside bottom windscreen (the black area) and work perfectly
But it won't work inside the car correct? Signal was cut out/diminished, metallic Faraday's cage effect is the fundamental flaw of VKool tints.
As for built in car navigation system, it might have problem to detect because it can send out the signal but cant receive due to heavy metal in VKOOL.
This is the problem for many in-car and phone GPS problem for VKool tint. I have to put my phone at the edge of the windscreen at the black area inside the car in order to get good signal which won't cause the GPS to go haywire once every few turns, if put more than 2 inch away from windscreen, GPS signal is intermittent and keep dropping, causing GPS accuracy problem. Other tints do not have this issue, I tried in my friend's 3M crystalline, Llumar, Hamel, etc. No such issue, except 3M crystalline with smart tag issue. Also, Faraday's cage works both ways, signal cannot get out nor in.
As for Smart Tag, try to change your battery/position/slow down when go through the toll.
Keyword: reduced smart tag signal and need to slow down a lot before detected, even with new battery and new model smart tag.
As for auto gate/access card you can refer here

https://www.magnet.com.my/barrier-gate/rfid...g-reader-system
If you access card can't use, just convert it to UHF just like RFID
Install VKool and need some other expensive hardware to get something to work while other similar priced and performance tint can do without such issue.
My Honda City with Complete V-Kool 40
My 3 cars with VKool Elite all around.
If going to pay so much, why get VKool metallic tint which cause so much issue and inconvenience, especially to a driver who will be using GPS to navigate around, smart tag to pay toll, need to stick RFID outside the car and most importantly, inhibits adding more stress at the end of the day by hindering you from reaching your home.
RicoT
post May 10 2019, 09:20 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(cucubud @ May 10 2019, 06:55 PM)
For testing purposes, wrapping the film on the Smart Tag should work. The film is between the Smart Tag and the toll reader.
For the FWS, select moderate rejection this and that.
For all other windows and RWS, select the highest rejection this and that.
For testing purposes, ask them to demonstrate to you, and go to your house and test the remote/gate pass/smart tag/GPS Waze Google Maps. If you feel okay with that tint, then okay. If they don't want to do it, then they have something to hide.
RicoT
post May 11 2019, 01:28 AM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(I'm V-Kool @ May 10 2019, 10:07 PM)
As for testing on GPS or Smart Tag, you can request staff car
As for testing AutoGate/Access Card you could ask JMB. I am sure that they will have some feedback from V-Kool users

By the way, try not to use metal cover for your phone as well
And is staff car available at your dealers to test?

Autogate/Access Card is not working with cars using VKool tint, only causing more inconvenience for those who use this tint. Tried at several locations, other ceramic based tint have no issue at all. The only issue is Smart tag non detection but that is with 3M Crystalline tints.

Even with bare phone without cover also same thing, very bad GPS signal causing Waze/Google Maps to jump around or couldn't get accurate location.

VKool is just a tint which cause more inconvenience and it outweighs the benefit and cost.

Just wish to share my experience of using it. My advice is to stay away from metallic tints.

QUOTE(cucubud @ May 10 2019, 11:37 PM)
No need to trouble them. Just give me a small piece ( those left over from other cars), I can test until I am satisfied.
If no issues, Then I go and install that tint.
Try it with a car with VKool tint. As I mention, you put your smart tag/phone directly under the windscreen (in some cases touching the edges/windscreen) then it will work fine. 2 inch further than that, you will see signal reduced, hence inaccurate GPS/Waze/Google Maps and slow detection of smart tag. If you wrap the film around your smarttag/phone, it would be the same as the cases I mentioned before, placed directly under and touching the windscreen. If you can live with it and doesn't cause any inconvenience to you, then you can consider VKool. Just to share my words of caution before you commit to it and expect signal degradation if you use VKool.

QUOTE(cucubud @ May 10 2019, 11:41 PM)
Who is JMB?
Joint Management Body.

If you live in areas with autogate such as office building car park, gated community houses or condominiums, you will be given a card/tag which will be scanned from a distance without the needs to wind down the window, and the gate will open for you to enter/exit. Such system are installed by developer during construction and managed by JMB.

This post has been edited by RicoT: May 11 2019, 02:24 AM
RicoT
post May 16 2019, 12:00 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ May 16 2019, 10:37 AM)
Ayam using RayTech should be Metallic tint have problem with gate pass but no problem with smart tag?
GPS working with full signal? Or will jump around to different road nearby many times? VKool also working but detection is slow. Same car different tint same location, smart tag detect slow. My car when passing toll will show no smart tag, then only detected. Another similar car with other tints don't have this issue. It will detect, but need to slow down to 10km/h and slowly roll through, else it cannot detect smart tag at all.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0291sec    0.21    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:03 PM