tonYe
post Dec 4 2013, 01:33 AM

Game Designer
1,454 posts

QUOTE(Kyoyagami @ Dec 3 2013, 11:07 AM)
Wait, even OVER Wreck It Ralph?
I hated Wreck It Ralph lol

QUOTE(Mizu @ Dec 3 2013, 01:11 PM)
I watched it last week and love it to bits! The songs were kind of back to back in a few sections of the movie so that was a little annoying, but the visuals were nice and I thought the jokes were refreshing. Olaf, especially, was a crowd puller. The theater was in stitches every time he has dialogue smile.gif But I think its more suited to older chilren around 7-14 years, because the jokes would make more sense to them... tongue.gif
Plenty of musicals (like even the live on stage ones) sing the same melody, sticking within theme, but changes the mood and lyrics according to situations. Surely, it can't be more annoying that the amount times a song is repeated in Les Miserable haha
Kyoyagami
post Dec 4 2013, 09:16 AM

KyoYagami-myed
Group Icon
Elite
1,838 posts

QUOTE(tonYe @ Dec 4 2013, 01:33 AM)
I hated Wreck It Ralph lol
Plenty of musicals (like even the live on stage ones) sing the same melody, sticking within theme, but changes the mood and lyrics according to situations. Surely, it can't be more annoying that the amount times a song is repeated in Les Miserable haha
hahaha. Well, I think i'll give it a go this week. Along with Captain Phillips.
tonYe
post Dec 4 2013, 11:51 AM

Game Designer
1,454 posts

QUOTE(Kyoyagami @ Dec 4 2013, 09:16 AM)
hahaha. Well, I think i'll give it a go this week. Along with Captain Phillips.
Oh yes, I'm definitely going to catch that one as well. You might wanna check out Enough Said as well if you're into romance comedies. smile.gif
Kyoyagami
post Dec 4 2013, 11:55 AM

KyoYagami-myed
Group Icon
Elite
1,838 posts

QUOTE(tonYe @ Dec 4 2013, 11:51 AM)
Oh yes, I'm definitely going to catch that one as well. You might wanna check out Enough Said as well if you're into romance comedies.  smile.gif
based on tomorrow, there's 4 movies releasing at the same time:

Inclusive of Snowpiercer and Gatchaman.

WHY MUST THEY ALL ATTACK US THIS WEEK!???
Mov_freak
post Dec 4 2013, 11:11 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

Frozen (2013)

Hans Christian Andersen (Danish) wrote 168 stories!!!

By any account, that is impressive!

Based on my recollection, these have been made into animation, some form or other, Little Tiny or Thumbelina (Warner Bros), The Little Mermaid (Countless + Disney), The Emperor’s New Suit (I believe this inspired Disney's Emperor's New Groove), The Brave Tin Soldier (Part of Disney's Fantasia 2000).

Frozen is based on his The Snow Queen.

I'm NOT familiar with the original tale.

I know Disney took alot of pain when advertising this movie. It is part of Disney's Princess line, and desperate for money after the The Lone Ranger (2013) debacle, they did not want a loss the lucrative market segment (boys), so frankly when I first saw the trailer for this, I went, huh!!??!! laugh.gif

So is this movie any good?

First of all, after The Princess and the Frog (2009), I'm not sure why Disney had yet release another hand drawn animation!

Don't get me wrong, their CGI animation had improved leaps and bound after Disney and Pixar merger, I still enjoy and do miss, their hand drawn animations...

Tangled (2010) was great and this is good too!

Before I go on, I would like to go into The Little Mermaid (1989), a renaissance for Disney so to speak.

In 1988, Disney was seriously thinking about leaving the animation business. Most of their animation release after Walt Disney passed away, made less and less money (Sample of movies during this period are thing like The Black Cauldron (1985), The Great Mouse Detective (1986), Oliver & Company (1988)). Interestingly, the animation team DID NOT HAVE A SCRIPT for any of those animation features, because that was how they did it, when Walt was around... What they failed to understand was, they did had a script when Walt was around, and the script was in Walt and he over saw the projects...

The Little Mermaid was the Feature Animation departments last hurrah, so to speak, to see if Disney could still make a blockbuster animation, with all of Disney's resource behind it, with a proviso, a physical script had to be develop (the then Disney CEO Michael Eisner insisted). Apart for that crucial detail that made the movie a HUGE success, another very important ingredient that made that movie successful is the music team Howard Ashman (lyricist) & Alan Menken (Music Composer). Both of them are from the musical theater background, and Howard Ashman actually pounded into the Feature Animation team, the music has to carry the story forward and not stop the movie so a song can be done (I'm looking at you Warner [Quest for Camelot (1998)]). I really REALLY thank him for that.

Tangle has an amazing soundtrack and the music is even more interesting in Frozen.

Musically speaking this will probably do for animation soundtrack what Beauty and the Beast (1991) did for all subsequent animation.

Music team for Frozen is Robert Lopez & Kristen Anderson-Lopez. I don't think many people in Malaysia is familiar with their work. I kind know them because I've actually heard the original soundtrack for the musical theater Avenue Q!!

Their music can be interpreted from many angle
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This movie actually reminds me of a joke
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

So, good animation

Sorry for the long review

Enjoy the movie

My Two Sen

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: Dec 4 2013, 11:16 PM
tonYe
post Dec 5 2013, 01:51 AM

Game Designer
1,454 posts

QUOTE(Kyoyagami @ Dec 4 2013, 11:55 AM)
based on tomorrow, there's 4 movies releasing at the same time:

Inclusive of Snowpiercer and Gatchaman.

WHY MUST THEY ALL ATTACK US THIS WEEK!???
Frozen was released last week actually. But yeah this week is mad... you forgot about Captain Phillips!
Kyoyagami
post Dec 5 2013, 09:23 AM

KyoYagami-myed
Group Icon
Elite
1,838 posts

QUOTE(tonYe @ Dec 5 2013, 01:51 AM)
Frozen was released last week actually. But yeah this week is mad... you forgot about Captain Phillips!
That's the actual main highlight this week! Haha.

But if anything, i'm going for Frozen tonight. just to weather out the next 4 movies later in the weekend. tongue.gif Captain Phillips is on the top of my list, but girlfriend has been harking about Frozen, so, might as well. tongue.gif
asepa
post Dec 5 2013, 03:26 PM

Casual
380 posts

Captain Phillips out today right? Dec 5?
Kyoyagami
post Dec 6 2013, 10:30 AM

KyoYagami-myed
Group Icon
Elite
1,838 posts

Frozen begins wonderfully. I felt the hymns was wonderful, and sets a very very nice theme.

And then it goes all out pushing out fantastic songs. I LOVED "Let It Go" and "Fixer Upper" the most. But every other number is still fantastic. I probably should go get the album. Haha.

But the script, the cast, the whole plot, even the twist, were a sight to be held. THough I would be biased to say Wreck It Ralph is better, this is no doubt one of the best Disney Animations in a very long long time.

Olaf/Josh Gad: Scene Stealer. ALL THE WAY. laugh.gif
tonYe
post Dec 6 2013, 11:03 AM

Game Designer
1,454 posts

QUOTE(asepa @ Dec 5 2013, 03:26 PM)
Captain Phillips out today right? Dec 5?
Yups, and it's a-must watch.

QUOTE(Kyoyagami @ Dec 6 2013, 10:30 AM)
Frozen begins wonderfully. I felt the hymns was wonderful, and sets a very very nice theme.

And then it goes all out pushing out fantastic songs. I LOVED "Let It Go" and "Fixer Upper" the most. But every other number is still fantastic. I probably should go get the album. Haha.

But the script, the cast, the whole plot, even the twist, were a sight to be held. THough I would be biased to say Wreck It Ralph is better, this is no doubt one of the best Disney Animations in a very long long time.

Olaf/Josh Gad: Scene Stealer. ALL THE WAY. laugh.gif
Snowpiercer postponed to next year lol

This post has been edited by tonYe: Dec 7 2013, 12:39 AM
tonYe
post Dec 7 2013, 12:38 AM

Game Designer
1,454 posts

[oops, accidentally double post]

This post has been edited by tonYe: Dec 7 2013, 12:39 AM
Kyoyagami
post Dec 7 2013, 01:06 AM

KyoYagami-myed
Group Icon
Elite
1,838 posts

QUOTE(tonYe @ Dec 6 2013, 11:03 AM)
Yups, and it's a-must watch.
Snowpiercer postponed to next year lol
Yup. I have been searching everywhere for that. haha.

Ah well, at least I need to attempt to get a seat at The White Storm in Atmos 2D. That would be interesting.
QuickFire
post Dec 7 2013, 01:32 AM

The more you sin the more you win
2,865 posts

Pfft, I read a review saying this is Disney's best since Beauty and the Beast? What a load of bollocks! It's a mostly average animation with some above average spurts, but it is far far far far from the quality of heydey Disney (Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid).

I always think the classic princess/love story should be hand drawn animation, CG lacks the required warmth, and this one is one dull looking animation, with most scene being the same shade of white. The story takes a long time before it gets mildly amusing (which is when Olaf enters the scene), and the songs are a far far far cry from the quality we saw from 20 years ago. Those days the songs were full of warmth, with irresistibly catchy melodies. Now it's all turned a bit cold, where a lot emphasis is placed on the vocals and how high pitched they can go, and less on the actual musicality of it all.
crazy_labelle
post Dec 7 2013, 03:27 PM

18 posts

It was alright for me..

The visual is amazing and the songs are wonderful. Story are simple and predictable.. It is just too pretty..
I don't think man / boy would not appreciate this movie so much as it is full of emotion and there is a lot of songs. haha..

I am not a fan of musical, but i do enjoy most of the songs. My fav:
- At the end of the Do You Want to Build a Snowman?', I had tears in my eyes. haha.. it is super embarrassing..
- Love is an Open Door is quite nice too as it has some modern influence in it
- The best song definitely 'Let It Go'.. Also, i think it is the best scene in the movie..

At the end of the movie i feel like i'm watching one of Barbie movies. U know, the main theme is about 'sisterhood and romance'. Which is basically the main ingredient of every Barbie movies.

Plus, i sat next to a group of a friendly little girls.. they are like awww, wah, hihihi on almost every scene... and their laugh is super adorable... I feel like we're having a little tea party.. it just made my day ^^.. haha...
Mov_freak
post Dec 7 2013, 05:34 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Dec 7 2013, 01:32 AM)
Pfft, I read a review saying this is Disney's best since Beauty and the Beast? What a load of bollocks! It's a mostly average animation with some above average spurts, but it is far far far far from the quality of heydey Disney (Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid).

I always think the classic princess/love story should be hand drawn animation, CG lacks the required warmth, and this one is one dull looking animation, with most scene being the same shade of white. The story takes a long time before it gets mildly amusing (which is when Olaf enters the scene), and the songs are a far far far cry from the quality we saw from 20 years ago. Those days the songs were full of warmth, with irresistibly catchy melodies. Now it's all turned a bit cold, where a lot emphasis is placed on the vocals and how high pitched they can go, and less on the actual musicality of it all.
Grouch! laugh.gif

Your name wouldn't happen to be Oscar, would it?... tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: Dec 7 2013, 07:25 PM
QuickFire
post Dec 8 2013, 02:08 AM

The more you sin the more you win
2,865 posts

QUOTE(Mov_freak @ Dec 7 2013, 05:34 PM)
Grouch! laugh.gif

Your name wouldn't happen to be Oscar, would it?... tongue.gif
Hey man, I'm only a grouch when the movie isn't good!

For example, tonight I watched Captain Phillips and I did not grouch because the movie was good. biggrin.gif
Mov_freak
post Dec 8 2013, 09:31 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Dec 8 2013, 02:08 AM)
Hey man, I'm only a grouch when the movie isn't good!

For example, tonight I watched Captain Phillips and I did not grouch because the movie was good.  biggrin.gif
Thanks for that, Mr. "Don't talk to me about The Hobbit, I didn't even watch the LOTR Trilogy..." laugh.gif
J_pandapuppet
post Dec 10 2013, 11:50 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

Despite the love from all across the globe, I find Frozen rather underwhelming. If the point was 'conceal don't feel', Disney has clearly make the point taken. Having grown up to Disney films, I really want to love Frozen; that fear personality from a main role kind of bothers me, there's nothing as fearless as Tangled, Beauty & the Beast, Mulan, The Lion King, even Pocahontas has better role execution. With rather cheesy old-school Disney charm and musical score, Frozen' has taken Disney to another level by making a superb 3D visually pleasing family entertainment, an animation film that might cause you goosebumps all over for a moment. Best recommend to watch this in 3D.
ssilvia
post Dec 11 2013, 12:02 PM

Getting Started
107 posts

i watched also..vry nice...haha..the title vry good and new.. i like Elsa her power..haha..and the song...very nice!
elm0001
post Dec 11 2013, 06:40 PM

I'm Tyrion Lannister's whore
942 posts

good god, kristoff is so hot. i'd definitely play with him before going up to the mountain.

excuse me while i miang a bit.

but anyway, Let it Go is definitely the best song in the movie. and the scene (of the song) is so beautiful.

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0226sec    0.65    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:06 AM