Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> DIY cable, Pictures of DIY cables (DIY)

views

penmarker
post Mar 5 2013, 09:42 AM

Regular
1,861 posts

QUOTE(ultra_nyamuk @ Mar 5 2013, 08:59 AM)
Guys i need to clear some doubts.. I just entered this audiophile world. IMO cables cannot improve the quality of the sound, whats important is the source right? Cables can only degrade the quality thats already there but by using a cable you cannot "increase" the quality if in the first place you already have a decent cable. Im no engineer but i think as long as the electrical signals can be passed (lets say interconnect) from source to amp etc... without distortion then it will sound as good as the source right? So i guess a decent cable with good conductivity and sheilding is enough.. no need for it to be "cryo smtg" hehehe~ Please enlighten me smile.gif

Cables don't "improve" the sound quality. They can alter the signature and reduce the amount of distortion.

penmarker
post Mar 5 2013, 01:17 PM

Regular
1,861 posts

QUOTE(ultra_nyamuk @ Mar 5 2013, 09:48 AM)
Hmm in what application can it alter the signature? If its just a 5cm interconnect can it make much difference ?
For a mere 5cm, I wouldn't waste money on expensive cables as the difference wouldn't be noticeable to my ears. But for longer cables, the characteristics of the sounds can be noticed.
How about we do a little meetup somewhere quiet? I can bring the cables with my headphones and a DAC/amp unit. But you have to bring a laptop because I run on desktop.
penmarker
post Mar 5 2013, 02:37 PM

Regular
1,861 posts

My location is Cyberjaya. I don't understand how cables alter the sound signature, probably have something to do with the material properties.
penmarker
post Mar 18 2013, 12:43 PM

Regular
1,861 posts

QUOTE(malutapimau @ Mar 17 2013, 08:42 PM)
what plug do you plan to get?

my malu² fono interconnect,,,,,,,,,

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

plugs - amphenol acpr
cable - sommer onyx2025

Comel lah interconnects blush.gif

BTW I have my turntable connected to the preamp etc. When I touch the cable, can hear the interference. blink.gif Is it because of bad shielding? The cable looks actually quite good, later I go home take picture.

penmarker
post Apr 18 2013, 03:35 PM

Regular
1,861 posts

Hi, explain something to me. I own the DR150 and Vero 150 cable. I know it improves the sound signature of the headphones, that's not the issue.

My question is about the last mile. The cable is plugged in to the left earcup, and the cable connecting to the right driver is I assume inferior to the Vero.
So why is there no discernible sonic difference between the left and right driver?

I'm not doubting anything since I know the cable works very well. Just puzzled about this.

Same thing about expensive "audiophile grade" power cables. The wiring in the house is standard throughout, it is already not "audiophile grade" yet from the wall plug to the power supply or power amp, you have "audiophile grade" cables.
This is actually the opposite of the above scenario, when improvement is made in the last mile instead of any degradations happening in the last mile.
penmarker
post Apr 18 2013, 04:17 PM

Regular
1,861 posts

QUOTE(blacklizard90 @ Apr 18 2013, 04:03 PM)
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headp...part-one-page-2

If you ask me, cable doesn't alter or improve sound signature.
It makes difference in high frequency measurement device/industry use.

Its all psychology..

I think you should come over again and I will let you hear the difference between stock cable and custom cable. I didn't get the chance to let you test it out last time.
penmarker
post Apr 18 2013, 04:24 PM

Regular
1,861 posts

Ya ya tonight free. Can let you see my new toys also.

*hint hint: it's analogue*
penmarker
post Jun 6 2013, 11:07 AM

Regular
1,861 posts

A friend of mine had been thinking about recabling his Denon D5k because the cable is too long for portable use.
No special properties needed, just a shorter more portable cable that doesn't change the sound characteristic.
Any idea how much would that be?

This post has been edited by penmarker: Jun 6 2013, 11:07 AM
penmarker
post Jun 7 2013, 10:57 AM

Regular
1,861 posts

Stock cable length quite long la, 2-2.5 meters I guess. Want to make it short to maybe just 100-120 cm. Like portable cans.
penmarker
post Aug 17 2013, 09:34 AM

Regular
1,861 posts

QUOTE(blacklizard90 @ Aug 16 2013, 12:28 PM)
Helped my friend @penmarker to recable headphone and do a 3.5mm to RCA cable

Headphone:
- Cable: Canare
- 3.5MM Jack: Neutrik
- Picture:
  [attachmentid=3584975]
3.5MM to RCA:
- Cable: Canare
- 3.5MM Jack: Neutrik
- RCA Jack: Amphenol
- Picture:
  [attachmentid=3584973]

The headphone cable was so pretty and my friend was saying thank you so many times. laugh.gif

penmarker
post Dec 18 2013, 01:50 PM

Regular
1,861 posts

Anyone had experience doing LOD for Sansa Fuze?
penmarker
post Oct 22 2014, 01:21 AM

Regular
1,861 posts

Anybody wanna quote me on a custom cable for HD650?
penmarker
post Oct 4 2016, 12:26 AM

Regular
1,861 posts

Tried building using some cheap connectors and cables for my new DAC arriving tomorrow

user posted image

Now testing with current amp and DAC. So far so good.

user posted image
penmarker
post Oct 4 2016, 09:03 PM

Regular
1,861 posts

Just found out about OHNO cables a few days ago. Will try and see if I can get some cheap enough for fooling around.

Currently running the cable with my Matrix Mini-I just arrived today. Not bad I must say, even though the wire is a generic china brand.
penmarker
post Oct 5 2016, 09:52 AM

Regular
1,861 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Oct 5 2016, 02:19 AM)
they are getting rarer that's for sure.
although a lot of china companies said that they can produce them, depending on how particular you are (occ cables must be from japan! for example)

Alternatively, i'd highly recommend to look out for 102 SSC cables as well tongue.gif
QUOTE(sonerin @ Oct 5 2016, 07:07 AM)
You can contact hushymushy. He is selling the cable
Hey thanks a lot guys for the heads up. BTW where can I find sleeving locally? I don't wanna order and then receive something that I don't like.

Maybe next month I'm going to try and make some power cables. First need to find a good shielded mains block. sonerin and Quazacolt do you use a power filter/conditioner or only a mains block/power extension?

This post has been edited by penmarker: Oct 5 2016, 09:53 AM
penmarker
post Oct 5 2016, 04:52 PM

Regular
1,861 posts

QUOTE(hushymushy @ Oct 5 2016, 10:08 AM)
before you do anything to your power....understand what are your power issue first....

Your power cables nice bro.
Honestly, my power supply (at least in my room) has no problems at all. No ground loops, no hums, no buzz, no intermittent, no nothing. Even my turntable with phono level analog signal needs to crank up the volume high to hear any hisses.
I'm just interested and wondering about the reviews on how conditioners/filters improve the sound quality. The only problem is even the raw components are already expensive (Furutech plugs are RM500 above, cables RM100 above per meter).

And I might not be able to detect subtle changes. Except for that time when I compared original Goldring DR150 cable with PCWork Vero 150 cable. Difference was very big and immediately noticeable.
penmarker
post Oct 5 2016, 08:40 PM

Regular
1,861 posts

QUOTE(hushymushy @ Oct 5 2016, 05:01 PM)
If no issue then dont touch it....i hv tried various conditioner.....it removes dynamic for my system.....i am still running without conditioner....but my room is a separate phase by itself

My system also full analog.....pre and power on tubes too

Long term wise...u might want to invest in frank powerbank...so far this one gives me result
QUOTE(ktek @ Oct 5 2016, 07:55 PM)
i have tried china bada power conditioner, end up using the bypass socket only.
do u find any benefit of unswitched socket?
rclxms.gif rclxms.gif
I'm so glad I'm this lucky. I've heard nightmare stories of people having bad mains and dimmer switches and their toasters triggering the AC mains noise in their systems.
I'll probably get one of those shielded mains block instead of a power filter then. Thank you very much all of you!
penmarker
post Oct 5 2016, 11:09 PM

Regular
1,861 posts

QUOTE(hushymushy @ Oct 5 2016, 10:29 PM)
well all my sockets are US wall outlets.....in fact I have a mixture of Furutech, Wattgate and Sine US wall outlets.

The switched wall outlet or socket has a little less dynamic and power due to impedance issue. I have both in my audio room and the US plug gives more energy to the system.
becareful with 'shielded' stuffs...hehehehehehehehehe

in fact you can DIY a good main block by yourself....

1. get good quality screened power cords like Belden if you have the budget. If you use belden, make sure the end that goes into the wall socket, the screen/braided skin is attached to earth.
2. if budget limited, go for Fajar 4mm cable with the grey PVC....roughly RM15 to RM18 per meter
3. get a metal switch block....if you can custom make wood...even better.....the wood needs to be sprayed with paint to reduce water particle absorption
4. for metal block, you can add some bitumen aluminium strip to reduce resonance...
5. get good quality sockets.....minimum i'd get MK for UK plugs....if budget not restricted...go for Furutech....

I was actually thinking about getting a finished unit like this,
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/power...-block-md06-us/
But yeah, DIY will be a lot cheaper than buying full unit.

Furutech plugs are like RM500 above haha. We'll see.

penmarker
post Oct 17 2016, 11:14 AM

Regular
1,861 posts

This can consider cable or not?
Ok la cables in a box la. Lol.

3 way RCA selector with 1 line out and 1 pre out.
All point to point connection with solid copper single strand wires and a bit of PcWorks Vero 150 wire, Alps pot, Lorlin rotary switch.

user posted image
penmarker
post May 11 2017, 05:47 PM

Regular
1,861 posts

What about those mini jacks that has thread so you can screw on a 1/4 inch jack on top like this?

user posted image

I always see the 1/4 inch jack converter sold separately but never as a set.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0800sec    2.04    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th November 2019 - 09:46 AM