Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Cardiff City Saga

views

TSliverpool2020
post Oct 13 2013, 01:00 PM, updated 11y ago

Getting Started
90 posts

It has been another momentous, but deeply troubling week at Cardiff City.

With Malky Mackay’s head of recruitment Iain Moody removed from his post question marks now hang over the future of the popular Bluebirds boss himself.

The club have now issued a statement but here are the five big questions that need answering.

1. Why was head of recruitment Iain Moody removed from his post?

Plenty of speculation, but no clear explanation why a man who appears to be doing a very good job is suddenly suspended ahead of some investigation then almost straight away placed on ‘gardening leave.’

We understand that at least one of the factors for his departure is over the Bluebirds’ summer transfer spending. It has been claimed the disagreement surrounds a £35m transfer budget and whether it was to include all transfer fees, wages, bonuses and signing-on fees – rather than just the transfer fees paid to other clubs to bring stars such as Steven Caulker, Gary Medel and Andreas Cornelius to South Wales.

The vacuum of information is, as is normal, replaced by numerous rumours and unconfirmed reports. If there has been alleged wrong-doing, what was it? If Vincent Tan just fancied a new face in the position, well, why not come out straight and say that?

2. What qualifications and experience does Kazakh Alisher Apsalyamov have to become head of recruitment at a Premier League club like Cardiff City?

From what has been reported this would seem the most clear to answer: none.

Roundly reported as a painter and decorator and aficionado of playing Fifa on X-Box, the 23-year-old does not seem qualified for the job at all. All the more reason then for the club to come forward and fully explain the rationale behind the appointment. After all, In January, the Bluebirds might well be entering one of the most important transfer windows in the club’s history.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/footbal...aga-far-6173982
Everdying
post Oct 13 2013, 01:49 PM

Two is One and One is None.
Group Icon
Staff
30,688 posts

already been made knowledge that the new head is a friend of vincent tan's son...which one remains to be seen as 2 diff sons have been named...or perhaps the new head is just a family friend.
this is going to make shebby's previous appointment at blackburn look like a good deal.

skystrike
post Oct 13 2013, 10:21 PM

back to normal
1,270 posts

crony....nuff said..
Max_07s
post Oct 14 2013, 08:31 AM

Getting Started
260 posts

Malaysian culture anyone??? heheheheheh
Duke Red
post Oct 18 2013, 02:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
6,112 posts

The landscape of football is becoming a bit of a joke. Not only are his credentials non-existent, the lads just 23. What knowledge could be possibly impart upon footballers who have been at the game since they were in their single digits? Soon, the son of someone who knows someone will make an appearance for them. Hasn't happened yet because of FIFA's ruling in regards to a country's world ranking (needless to say that based on this alone, we'll likely not qualify on merit alone in the foreseeable future). However, there is a loophole. Youth players can circumvent this by being attached to foreign clubs in say Australia and be considered homegrown talent. It's the only way we'll ever see a Malaysian play in the Premiership under the current ruling. In our lifetime anyway.
Everdying
post Oct 18 2013, 04:39 PM

Two is One and One is None.
Group Icon
Staff
30,688 posts

he's gonna be the first scout to fully utilize fifa2014 as his main tool.
Panda
post Oct 18 2013, 04:40 PM

Casual
360 posts

QUOTE(Duke Red @ Oct 18 2013, 02:23 PM)
The landscape of football is becoming a bit of a joke. Not only are his credentials non-existent, the lads just 23. What knowledge could be possibly impart upon footballers who have been at the game since they were in their single digits? Soon, the son of someone who knows someone will make an appearance for them. Hasn't happened yet because of FIFA's ruling in regards to a country's world ranking (needless to say that based on this alone, we'll likely not qualify on merit alone in the foreseeable future). However, there is a loophole. Youth players can circumvent this by being attached to foreign clubs in say Australia and be considered homegrown talent. It's the only way we'll ever see a Malaysian play in the Premiership under the current ruling. In our lifetime anyway.
We already have one malaysian playing in the premier league....Shaun Maloney

Born in Miri, Sarawak Malaysia ..

Duke Red
post Oct 18 2013, 05:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
6,112 posts

QUOTE(Panda @ Oct 18 2013, 04:40 PM)
We already have one malaysian playing in the premier league....Shaun Maloney

Born in Miri, Sarawak Malaysia ..
He may technically be Malaysian by virtue of being born here but he left when he was 5. I doubt he is in any way attached to his Malaysian roots. Am referring to a locally manufactured product from our youth system, being exported over.
Panda
post Oct 18 2013, 05:42 PM

Casual
360 posts

QUOTE(Duke Red @ Oct 18 2013, 05:11 PM)
He may technically be Malaysian by virtue of being born here but he left when he was 5. I doubt he is in any way attached to his Malaysian roots. Am referring to a locally manufactured product from our youth system, being exported over.
He was Malaysian, too bad he converted to scottish when he was 5..

a big loss to our national football team.. i still considered him as the best talented football player ever born in our country..
zimhibikie
post Oct 18 2013, 05:45 PM

Freak of Nature
2,825 posts

QUOTE(Panda @ Oct 18 2013, 05:42 PM)

a big loss to our national football team.. i still considered him as the best talented football player ever born in our country..
he left for scotland at the age of 5..dun think he'll be wanting to play football if he stays anyway
led_zep_freak
post Oct 18 2013, 06:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,231 posts

Wait, I knew the new guy is a friend of Vincent Tan's son but the guys 23 years old? shocking.gif

Here's a list of players signed during Iain Moody's time with Cardiff:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/footbal...ransfer-6167040

Sucks to know that you have been replaced by a 23-year-old despite doing well for your club.

I feel ashamed whenever Vincent's name is mentioned because his full name contains my own surname, twice.

QUOTE(Panda @ Oct 18 2013, 05:42 PM)

No it is not, who's to say that without the development he was exposed to in the UK, he would have been a professional footballer? Had he stayed, he might not have developed his talent or might even chose a different career path.
z928328
post Oct 20 2013, 10:12 AM

34 posts

I think Malaysian boss is not daring enough like those Arab Sheikh in investing good expensive players, coach etc.
Angel of Deth
post Dec 20 2013, 10:27 AM

Regular
1,242 posts

Copy & paste:

white.noise wrote:
Not bothered in the slightest.

1) Tan backed Malky fully in the summer yet a lot of money was wasted on Cornelius who by Malky's own admission was never ready to dive straight in at this level of play - absurd given that the money could have gone towards the Montero and Ince deals to bring in two players who would have given us more of a cutting edge up front - which we are currently in dire need of

2) Tan bought us by his own admission in interview as an investment and business. He has been clear with this from the moment he got involved with the club and wants to maximise his profits and business portfolio using us. He hasn't pretended that he is the greatest footballing man and yes he has stated he would try to learn the game but he is a business man first and foremost and as a business man he has the right to be annoyed with the amount of money wasted on transfers in the summer

3) Cornelius has so far proven to be a waste of money unless we end up back in the Championship where he may end up useful

4) The Brayford signing was borderline insane and nothing else needs to be said on that

5) The Velikonja signing was insane and that was a signing by Malky and he has admitted to that

6) I dislike Tan for the rebrand but on this I agree with him wholeheartedly. I would in his position be irate with the spending that took place in the summer and whilst it was signed off by him he would have trusted Malky's football judgement and he put that true belief in Malky to sign players of quality with his money yet Malky wasted it. How must Tan feel with that?

7) Tan is not an endless pit of cash like Man City's owner or Roman Abramovich who can fund the club using interest and annual profits. He wants to implement a fully sustainable model hence all the changes and debt payoffs to our liabilities which you can happily check out yourself online with a bit of digging. By wasting tens of millions of pounds as Malky and Moody did in the summer we are heading down that same path of instability financially and we'll be back on the brink of admin and square one before you know it.

8) Why was Kevin McNaughton given a new contract? What's the purpose of this when he has just been shipped out on loan and how much are they contributing to his wages? I'd love to know as that could yet be more expenditure wasted on players that are of no benefit to us at this level.

9) We are a Premier League club now but not an established one. We, if we are to survive at this level, need to be shrewd in our financial dealings and need to ensure we do not waste millions on players like QPR did. We have not wasted as much as they did and we fortunately at this point don't find ourselves in the mess they did but we still need to be clever to both increase turnover and profit margins and therefore reinvestment on the right assets

10) Malky has many faults many refuse to see due to (a) him getting us promotion after years of heartbreak, (b) the ability to side with him in this inner club political war with the owner of whom many hate due to the rebrand, Tan, and © because of his rapport and attitude with the fans and ethos of 'we're all in this together as a unit and the fans are everything'. Malky talks the great talk but the combination of his stubbornness of playing style, substitutes, favourites and his ineptness and wastefulness has to cost him his job. In any other business and thats what football is these days, he'd have been sent walking a long time ago. I believe Tan has been patient but the ' I want 3 more players' statement was the final straw for Tan and he snapped and he has every single right to do so as a business owner.

11) Hate Tan as much as you want for the rebrand and thats fine but in this regard he is totally right. Is he right to air it publicly? Not really as business should be kept behind closed doors but I can see why he did snap when the statement was made to the press. He is a business man trying to turn around the financial fortunes of his latest investment and the men he's entrusted to spend his cash wisely have by their own admission squandered it on players not ready. Cornelius' value crashes if we end up back in the Championship and he's not plying his trade against the best. That's club assets losing worth per season and thats bad.

12) I am not prepared to see the club I support go under because of the idiotic spending of a few. I have seen my club go down that path once before in my short lifetime and once was enough. Why can't we learn from mistakes? You can't have a financially sound club being run whilst allowing staff to waste large sums of cash on players not contributing to the businesses cause. This is the real world with strict financial restriction imposed by higher powers, where the tax system will pounce on you like no tomorrow. This is not a football management video game where you can enter a cheat and generate loads of cash to spend. How lovely would that be? This is real life and we need to be careful or we might spend our way back to depths of the pyramid system.

http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopi...129614&start=60
Not to defend Tan, in fact I hate his kind most. That being said, even a blind man could see Mackay is inept and incompetence at this level. If you do the same thing like he did at some other organization or job field, you would be fired long time ago.

This post has been edited by Angel of Deth: Dec 20 2013, 10:30 AM
SUSking of fighter
post Dec 21 2013, 02:03 AM

27 posts

jangan persoal !!
Angel of Deth
post Dec 27 2013, 10:20 PM

Regular
1,242 posts

Game over for Mackay, but the saga continues..

Based on the internet, the fans are 50 - 50 or 60 - 40 on the sacking. Half of them believe Tan is running the club to the ground, but at the same time believe Malky Mackay is not the man to lead them at this level. There are plenty of Tan supporters as well, praising his acquisition of feeder club, FK Sarajevo.

This post has been edited by Angel of Deth: Dec 27 2013, 10:25 PM
CityBluePrint
post Dec 28 2013, 12:54 AM

29 posts

What an ingrate Mackay is.

Before Vincent Tan invested in Cardiff which resulted in promotion to PL, Mackay was a nobody.

skylinelover
post Dec 28 2013, 04:50 AM

Future Crypto Player😄👊Driver Abamsado😎😎
All Stars
10,509 posts

the ticking bomb has exploded doh.gif
Angel of Deth
post Dec 28 2013, 02:25 PM

Regular
1,242 posts

"I hate the rebrand but I won't let it cloud the truth about how Malky has manipulated the media and fans in his fight against Tan."

Remind me of a certain politician here...

Kenji_37
post Dec 28 2013, 03:35 PM

3 posts

The way I see it, Tan is treating the club like a business company in highly competitive environment.He buys the club make a profit. Overspending might be normal for a football club but is no no for a competitive company. not to mention, it was a few millions.

to make it worse, the spending did not pay off and they only get 9 points in the last 12 match.

Any business owner will do something to turn this around. it is better to sack Malky now so that the new manager can do something with the squad during transfer window.

He don't care what media and fans say because he's the one that will suffer financially if the don't make it.

I don't think he will care if fans boycott 1 or 2 games as most of them already pay for season pass anyway.

The most important thing is, to get a good result at the end of this season . people will forget this saga when the result comes.

CityBluePrint
post Dec 29 2013, 03:52 AM

29 posts

What a game.
8 mins to go before EOR time, 3 pts looks like in the bag for Tan!
Well ces't la vie
Marshall kept out a few potential goals and it took a deflected shot to beat him & for the Cats to claw a draw.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0158sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:39 AM