views

TSalkt
post May 29 2006, 02:28 AM, updated 18y ago

^_^
Group Icon
VIP
10,230 posts

hey all,

would like to know if there is anybody here who has taken this GRE test?

my gf who just graduated from UM's Biohealth Science with a CGPA of 4 is stressed out cos she's now worried as she's not sure on what to do next.

But at the same time what she wanted to do is to apply for Masters course for NUS in SG but she can't as for international candidate, they have to take this GRE Test first before applying. The next intake is in January 2007 but have to submit before 1st June 2006.

Also i heard from her that this GRE Test got maths? She's also worried cos 3 years didn't do maths already sweat.gif

So on her behalf, i would like to know more about this GRE Test like price, it's level of difficulties and also if possible do advice me on what to tell her what to do next as she's finding it difficult to find a job or something to do after she graduated.

Thanks a bunch! notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by alkt: May 29 2006, 02:31 AM
TYK
post May 29 2006, 09:50 AM

Enthusiast
992 posts

QUOTE(alkt @ May 29 2006, 02:28 AM)
hey all,

would like to know if there is anybody here who has taken this GRE test?

my gf who just graduated from UM's Biohealth Science with a CGPA of 4 is stressed out cos she's now worried as she's not sure on what to do next.

But at the same time what she wanted to do is to apply for Masters course for NUS in SG but she can't as for international candidate, they have to take this GRE Test first before applying. The next intake is in January 2007 but have to submit before 1st June 2006.

Also i heard from her that this GRE Test got maths? She's also worried cos 3 years didn't do maths already sweat.gif

So on her behalf, i would like to know more about this GRE Test like price, it's level of difficulties and also if possible do advice me on what to tell her what to do next as she's finding it difficult to find a job or something to do after she graduated.

Thanks a bunch! notworthy.gif
laugh.gif I've made a thread with exact title, but reply is 0. I am sitting for the test mext month, now busy preparing for it.

Here are some info regarding the GRE:
Price: USD 140 ~ RM500
Format:
1. Verbal section (English vocab and logic)
2. Quantitative section (Basic maths)
3. Analytical writing section (Essay writing)
Level of difficulties:
1. Verbal section - toughest for me because of the vocabulary level is really deep
2. Quantitative section - not much problem, these are like Form 3 and Form 4 maths questions
3. Analytical writing section - the questions are slightly higher than O-level, like giving arguments about a statement and analyze a statement

Try to search for ETS, the organization handling this test, and you will find some resources regarding the test.
TSalkt
post May 30 2006, 02:26 AM

^_^
Group Icon
VIP
10,230 posts

Thanks a lot TYK. I will forward this message to her.

Your help is much appreciated and good luck for your test man! smile.gif

This post has been edited by alkt: May 30 2006, 02:26 AM
darren84
post May 30 2006, 01:38 PM

Getting Started
172 posts

I heard only top 10% of the candidates will get the certificate. My fren got it oredi b4 he applied for the Masters in US. I think it's really not easy to pass the test. U really have to prepare well for that
TYK
post May 30 2006, 01:59 PM

Enthusiast
992 posts

QUOTE(darren84 @ May 30 2006, 01:38 PM)
I heard only top 10% of the candidates will get the certificate. My fren got it oredi b4 he applied for the Masters in US. I think it's really not easy to pass the test. U really have to prepare well for that
That I am not sure, but what I know is after we sit for the test, we will obtain a score report and it will be used to apply for graduate schools in US usually.

I know that famous engineering schools like MIT, Stanford, California Berkeley require very high minimum score before you can be considered as a qualified applicant.

This post has been edited by TYK: May 30 2006, 01:59 PM
sabretoothtiger
post May 30 2006, 07:21 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

hi everyone...i'm new here. i registered just to answer this question.

about the NUS and GRE thing...yeah...it is a very high requirement. NUS wants 90 percentile and i tell u, IT IS NOT EASY. i took GRE on 4th May and the results just came out. i was just slightly above average for the quantitative and writing...but the verbal sucks.
i did research around from other ppl who had taken the test and according to a fren, he told me u need around 6 months but if u do it intensively, it's going to be 3 months.
for me, i only manage to schedule to take the test 5 days after my finals. i was aiming to apply overseas, but i didnt have the time to do make it to the preparation. in the end, i only get what i deserve.
so if anyone is taking GRE, pls, pls, pls, prepare for the miserable verbal session and make sure u have stamina to stay alert for a long time.
after the written test, i can feel my energy level went down to almost nonexistent, and i just randomly clicked the answers just to get over it fast. if u should know, my verbal was only 15%.
a word of advice, those preparatory tests/books arent enough if u dont have enough practice. so read up higher level articles and books and think more.
sorry for making this a lengthy post.
later.
TYK
post May 30 2006, 09:31 PM

Enthusiast
992 posts

QUOTE(sabretoothtiger @ May 30 2006, 07:21 PM)
hi everyone...i'm new here. i registered just to answer this question.

about the NUS and GRE thing...yeah...it is a very high requirement. NUS wants 90 percentile and i tell u, IT IS NOT EASY. i took GRE on 4th May and the results just came out. i was just slightly above average for the quantitative and writing...but the verbal sucks.
i did research around from other ppl who had taken the test and according to a fren, he told me u need around 6 months but if u do it intensively, it's going to be 3 months.
for me, i only manage to schedule to take the test 5 days after my finals. i was aiming to apply overseas, but i didnt have the time to do make it to the preparation. in the end, i only get what i deserve.
so if anyone is taking GRE, pls, pls, pls, prepare for the miserable verbal session and make sure u have stamina to stay alert for a long time.
after the written test, i can feel my energy level went down to almost nonexistent, and i just randomly clicked the answers just to get over it fast. if u should know, my verbal was only 15%.
a word of advice, those preparatory tests/books arent enough if u dont have enough practice. so read up higher level articles and books and think more.
sorry for making this a lengthy post.
later.
If I am not mistaken, the verbal section is on the difficult English vocabulary, and most of the questions are like logical analogy and antonyms. My English vocabulary is at the average level only, how am I going to improve it in these few weeks? It always makes me wonder any use of that for applicant screening as my profession doesn't need to have such a high level of vocabulary.

This post has been edited by TYK: May 30 2006, 09:52 PM
love-angel
post Jun 5 2006, 09:43 PM

ANGELS
778 posts

hey all..

Thanks a lot for your generous words of advices. Does GRE have any limit in its validity? Eg, IELTS os only valid for two years. Wasted my RM400 to sit for it and got a satisfactory result but in the end, I didnt use it for anything...
TYK
post Jun 6 2006, 12:42 AM

Enthusiast
992 posts

QUOTE(love-angel @ Jun 5 2006, 09:43 PM)
hey all..

Thanks a lot for your generous words of advices. Does GRE have any limit in its validity? Eg, IELTS os only valid for two years. Wasted my RM400 to sit for it and got a satisfactory result but in the end, I didnt use it for anything...
If not mistaken, validity period is 5 years.
sabretoothtiger
post Jun 6 2006, 07:09 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

yup... not more than 5 years.
love-angel
post Jun 7 2006, 10:00 PM

ANGELS
778 posts

Thanks a bunch to all who helped me in this thread! biggrin.gif
elaineliew88
post Jun 8 2006, 01:51 AM

MCKY girl
1,230 posts

wat is gre????
sabretoothtiger
post Jun 8 2006, 08:52 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

Graduate Records Examination
mystvearn
post Jul 21 2006, 09:34 PM

6,511 posts

So where did you took your test? Can give the address?
I checked online, and there are only 2 centers in malaysia-both in KL. There are lots of GRE types, I am not sure which one to take. I too will need to do this soon, and I am not sure which type of test to apply.

can you explain more on the verbal section. I don't think verbal is a problem, as I'm slightly worried about the writing.

Can state your MUET score and GRE score-just to get an idea on how tough it is.
TYK
post Jul 21 2006, 10:03 PM

Enthusiast
992 posts

QUOTE(mystvearn @ Jul 21 2006, 09:34 PM)
So where did you took your test? Can give the address?
I checked online, and there are only 2 centers in malaysia-both in KL. There are lots of GRE types, I am not sure which one to take. I too will need to do this soon, and I am not sure which type of test to apply.

can you explain more on the verbal section. I don't think verbal is a problem, as I'm slightly worried about the writing.

Can state your MUET score and GRE score-just to get an idea on how tough it is.
You have to register online at Thomson Prometric (google these 2 words). Then the test center is in the Faber Imperial Court, next to the Sheraton Imperial Hotel at Jalan Sultan Ismail.

In Malaysia, there is only one type of test, which is Computer-based General Test, and most universities require this test's scores. You can download the test preparation materials after you register. All the formats, questions types, scoring criteria are inside the test preparation materials. Download as well the PowerPrep software, as it simulates the computer test software.
mystvearn
post Jul 21 2006, 11:39 PM

6,511 posts

QUOTE(TYK @ Jul 21 2006, 10:03 PM)
You have to register online at Thomson Prometric (google these 2 words).  Then the test center is in the Faber Imperial Court, next to the Sheraton Imperial Hotel at Jalan Sultan  Ismail.

In Malaysia, there is only one type of test, which is Computer-based General Test, and most universities require this test's scores. You can download the test preparation materials after you register.  All the formats, questions types, scoring criteria are inside the test preparation materials. Download as well the PowerPrep software, as it simulates the computer test software.
Yes, I found from that Thomson website stating 2 places. The training materials are free right? From the same site?
I have taken something quite similar to GRE in US in middle school, and as far as I can say you cannot skip questions all objectives, and you have a huge time handicap. Is it the same/similar as this GRE test

Test Sites Address

Kuala Lumpur, NJ, MYS 50250
Phone: 1-609-406-5261
Site Code: 8980

ETS Production Lab
Ewing

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA
KUALA LUMPUR, 00, MYS 50250
Phone: 60376283333
Site Code: 8851 PROMETRIC TESTING CENTER
SUITE 21A-15-1, FABER IMPERIAL COURT

which address? The tel number is correct?

TYK
post Jul 21 2006, 11:59 PM

Enthusiast
992 posts

QUOTE(mystvearn @ Jul 21 2006, 11:39 PM)
Yes, I found from that Thomson website stating 2 places. The training materials are free right? From the same site?
I have taken something quite similar to GRE in US in middle school, and as far as I can say you cannot skip questions all objectives, and you have a huge time handicap. Is it the same/similar as this GRE test

Test Sites Address

Kuala Lumpur, NJ, MYS 50250
Phone: 1-609-406-5261
Site Code: 8980 

ETS Production Lab
Ewing

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA
KUALA LUMPUR, 00, MYS 50250
Phone: 60376283333
Site Code: 8851  PROMETRIC TESTING CENTER
SUITE 21A-15-1, FABER IMPERIAL COURT
which address? The tel number is correct?
Yes, the GRE computer-based test does not allow you to skip questions because it has some algorithms that will select the difficulty level of the next question based on how well you answer the current objective question, like the time you spent, the correct answer choice, etc. You can find pretty every infomation in the test prep software and materials and, yes it's free.

I am not sure about the other one, but I went to Faber Imperial Court one. People also take TOFEL test over there as well.

mystvearn
post Sep 12 2006, 11:39 AM

6,511 posts

What is the best way to get to Faber Imperial Court? Which public monorail goes there fastest?
I've registered 2 test, one on 9am, the second at 1pm the next day.
feynman
post Sep 12 2006, 12:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

Dang Wangi or Sultan Ismail.

Sultan Ismail is closer but if you need to take putra to get to town, it is better to get down at Dang Wangi and walk.
Unbelievable
post Sep 12 2006, 03:43 PM

Casual
311 posts

yes lisyening to all of such the pros here, verbal verbal verbal
skyer
post May 11 2009, 11:03 PM

Enthusiast
816 posts

How long does it take for the score report to reach Malaysia? I took on the 30th April.
TSOM
post Aug 17 2009, 02:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,145 posts

I wonder, what did most people take the exam for?
lara00
post Jun 30 2018, 10:43 AM

2 posts

Do you know any prep course available in kl?
Would like to take a prep course in septembee
zack8383
post Oct 21 2018, 01:48 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(lara00 @ Jun 30 2018, 10:43 AM)
Do you know any prep course available in kl?
Would like to take a prep course in septembee
hi,
hv u got any advise or information? i'm planning for next year.
thanks
E-Tan
post Oct 28 2018, 10:58 PM

Getting Started
136 posts

QUOTE(zack8383 @ Oct 21 2018, 01:48 PM)
hi,
hv u got any advise or information? i'm planning for next year.
thanks
There's this app Prep4GRE (by Harvard I think?) Which is thankfully free abd very usefull for those who don't want to spend too much on books and courses. Lots more apps that give exam preps and vocabulary training too!
championtutor
post Oct 30 2018, 01:50 PM

32 posts

Its price is $150 globally so it will be 627 RM. It covers three major sections- Analytical Writing, Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning. While Verbal and Quantitative Reasoning are scored on a scale of 130 – 170, analytical writing is scored on a scale of 0-6.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0178sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:03 PM