Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hardware SYNOLOGY DS111, How to rectify the firmware issue

views

TSwannabe1988
post Aug 31 2013, 12:59 AM, updated 11y ago

Getting Started
91 posts

Dear friends, I am currently struggling to restore my synology ds111 to its original working condition.

My synology keep flashing an alternate green and orange light (I have removed the internal hard disk for fear that it will overwrite my personal data within).

My mac has failed to establish any connection to the sybology via direct plug-in with enter net.

What I wanted to do at the moment is to re-install the firmware on the sybology system but since synology assistant and ethernet cannot even detect the sinology, I am running out of my wits to restore this machine.

Will really appreciate it if someone can give some pointers. Either pointers or direct me to somewhere that provides service to help my situation.

Thank you very much.

WebWalker
post Aug 31 2013, 01:37 AM

Computer Geek
All Stars
12,851 posts

Have you try to reset it?
After reset, you need to reconfigure it.
TSwannabe1988
post Aug 31 2013, 09:11 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

I have tried resetting that - heard a single beep. But it was the reset that has caused the problem so far. Maybe you can advised on the ways of reconfiguration? I cannot detect the nas at all (I am plugging the device directly into my laptop via ethernet).
mintgadget
post Aug 31 2013, 09:24 AM

Casual
317 posts

Don't worry your data will not be erased. Leave the hdd inside and the box connected to your switch/router as per normal.

First power off the unit by holding the power button for around 5 secs or more. The lights will be off.

Next power on and wait as the firmware needs to repair itself might take several mins or longer.

If you have press the reset button till you hear the beep means you have reseted your network settings and password back to original.

TSwannabe1988
post Aug 31 2013, 09:43 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

I have powered off the unit several times but is there any cue as to when the firmware is done with self-repair?

may I ask, what is the default password?

This post has been edited by wannabe1988: Aug 31 2013, 09:44 AM
mintgadget
post Aug 31 2013, 09:50 AM

Casual
317 posts

No just wait. It will take awhile.

User is admin with no password
TSwannabe1988
post Aug 31 2013, 09:53 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

okay, noted. So at the moment the status indicator is just flashing green and orange. Can I verify if that is the sign that shows it is under "self-repair?
mintgadget
post Aug 31 2013, 10:04 AM

Casual
317 posts

See this...

http://www.synology.com/support/faq_show.php?q_id=379

Actually you must not pull drive out it is not an external case.

Just wait and see if it can be repaired. Best is to use synology assistant to see if you can connect to the box coz you have reseted the network settings and it is working on perhaps another IP address based on dhcp.

Worst case scenario if it doesn't fix itself just create a ticket with synology. Then can remote in and fix it. Your data is in a different partition so it's safe.
TSwannabe1988
post Aug 31 2013, 10:53 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

Yeah, I have placed the hard drive back into the NAS storage.

Currently only the "status" indicator keeps flashing orange and ocassionally the "lan" indicator flashes green.

I have plug in the nas into my router and my computer is also connected to the router directly via ethernet.

still no result, I have let the system connected in the way described above for about an hour already.

Synology assistant still cannot detect my NAS.

By the way, how do I know what is the ip address of my nas since it has already been reset?

should I put my com ip as static or DHCP?
mintgadget
post Aug 31 2013, 11:06 AM

Casual
317 posts

As for your comp ip is not important as long same subnet(192.168.1.x or 10.x.x.x). If you are not sure just set to dhcp. If you cannot still see the Nas via the synology assistant, try hold reset button again.

Conducting reset procedure
Have the Synology system in the ready state
Look at the back of the Synology System, find a small reset hole near the USB ports
Using a paper clip, gently depress and hold down the recessed button for about four seconds
The system will beep once
Release the button immediately, holding it down may trigger system firmware reinstall
Launch the Synology Assistant and detect the Synology system.

TSwannabe1988
post Aug 31 2013, 12:05 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

Sigh... Kinda of give up. Any idea where can I send the nas for service?

oh! the "status" indicator has shown a steady green light. the "lan" indicator is showing a green light occasionally.

However, when I connect the NAS and my mac to the router, the synology assistant still cannot detect the Nas in the network. Any further advice? Thank you for being patience with me!
mintgadget
post Aug 31 2013, 01:27 PM

Casual
317 posts

Do you know how to log into your router to see the dhcp clients. I believe the unit should be up, if the status light is green. Now you need to get the right IP address to access it. If not grab an app on your smartphone to scan your network.
TSwannabe1988
post Aug 31 2013, 01:29 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

no, I do not know how to log into my router. What iapps would you recommend?
mintgadget
post Aug 31 2013, 01:31 PM

Casual
317 posts

I did a quick search. Fing looks free. Try that.

Actually since its green status light. The synology assistant should see it. If all fails do a reboot and see. Press and hold power button until you hear a beep. Then it will shut down. You then power it on again. This time the startup should be much faster coz it has been repaired..
lex
post Aug 31 2013, 02:28 PM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

QUOTE(wannabe1988 @ Aug 31 2013, 12:59 AM)
Dear friends, I am currently struggling to restore my synology ds111 to its original working condition.

My synology keep flashing an alternate green and orange light (I have removed the internal hard disk for fear that it will overwrite my personal data within).

My mac has failed to establish any connection to the sybology via direct plug-in with enter net.

What I wanted to do at the moment is to re-install the firmware on the sybology system but since synology assistant and ethernet cannot even detect the sinology, I am running out of my wits to restore this machine.

Will really appreciate it if someone can give some pointers. Either pointers or direct me to somewhere that provides service to help my situation.
QUOTE(wannabe1988 @ Aug 31 2013, 09:11 AM)
I have tried resetting that - heard a single beep. But it was the reset that has caused the problem so far. Maybe you can advised on the ways of reconfiguration? I cannot detect the nas at all (I am plugging the device directly into my laptop via ethernet).
QUOTE(wannabe1988 @ Aug 31 2013, 10:53 AM)
Yeah, I have placed the hard drive back into the NAS storage.

Currently only the "status" indicator keeps flashing orange and ocassionally the "lan" indicator flashes green.

I have plug in the nas into my router and my computer is also connected to the router directly via ethernet.

still no result, I have let the system connected in the way described above for about an hour already.

Synology assistant still cannot detect my NAS.

By the way, how do I know what is the ip address of my nas since it has already been reset?
Could be more than firmware problems. Even after reset the LED indicator keeps flashing means the internal processor cannot complete the bootup sequence, and/or having problems booting up. Anyway, how old is your NAS system? Were there any other symptoms before this problem started? hmm.gif

QUOTE(wannabe1988 @ Aug 31 2013, 09:53 AM)
okay, noted. So at the moment the status indicator is just flashing green and orange. Can I verify if that is the sign that shows it is under "self-repair?
Never heard of NAS devices having "self-repair" at all, unless they have dual BIOS hardware like those found on GigaByte motherboards. tongue.gif

QUOTE(wannabe1988 @ Aug 31 2013, 12:05 PM)
Sigh... Kinda of give up. Any idea where can I send the nas for service?

Is that NAS still under warranty? Alternatively I could check your NAS and see what was wrong with it. Just PM me for details... icon_rolleyes.gif
mintgadget
post Aug 31 2013, 02:35 PM

Casual
317 posts

Perhaps I should use the term rebuild the file system rather than self repair.
lex
post Aug 31 2013, 02:40 PM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

QUOTE(mintgadget @ Aug 31 2013, 02:35 PM)
Perhaps I should use the term rebuild the file system rather than self repair.

Rebuild file system? Unlikely at all, since it was mentioned that the LED indicators were still flashing after removing the HDDs. So, how to "rebuild" when there are no HDDs... tongue.gif

This post has been edited by lex: Aug 31 2013, 02:50 PM
mintgadget
post Aug 31 2013, 02:56 PM

Casual
317 posts

Obviously in no hdd how to rebuild. He has reinserted the drive. It will take some time to restore the file system.

Obviously if no hdd how to rebuild. He has reinserted the drive. It will take some time to restore the file system.
lex
post Aug 31 2013, 03:41 PM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

QUOTE(mintgadget @ Aug 31 2013, 02:56 PM)
Obviously if no hdd how to rebuild. He has reinserted the drive. It will take some time to restore the file system.
This part... doh.gif
QUOTE(wannabe1988 @ Aug 31 2013, 12:59 AM)

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0155sec    0.81    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:26 PM