views

TSxEDynamics
post Aug 29 2013, 12:01 PM, updated 11y ago

On my way
544 posts

ASUS Xonar Essence One USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier

user posted image

Introduction

Before diving straight to ASUS Xonar Essence One review, I would like to share a little about my Audiophiles adventure here. I started using ASUS Xonar Essence STX soundcard since 2010, and I liked it very much! I would say that it the best soundcard I’ve ever had! For starters, it uses high grade quality electronic components match while the DAC is well balanced and it produced excellent SQ. Then I started rolling quite a number of op-amps and finally I favourite pairings are OPA2312 + LM4562, and LME49720HA + LM4562.
  • OPA2132 – warm, wider sound stage(than stock), fluid/bright vocal
  • LME49720HA – widest sound stage, clarity, analytic and punchy bass
The ASUS Xonar Essence STX soundcard sounds very good on my Sennheiser HD555, the headphone amplifier can drive it well. Then I got my second headphone, the AKG K701 and gave it a try with the soundcard. Unfortunately, the AKG K701 is of course too much for the STX’s headphone amplifier to handle. Therefore I bought the RudiStor NX-03 headphone amplifier. So now my setup is as below.
  • ASUS Xonar Essence STX + RudiStor NX-03 + AKG K701
The inclusion of RudiStor NX-03 was just amazing. The leap from STX to STX + RudiStor NX-03 sound quality is jaw-dropping. Of course, the Seenheiser HD555 sounds a lot better as well. The sound is cleaner. Everything is much well balanced now, the mid and bass.

After a while, I heard that ASUS will be launching a new Xonar Series sound card, known as Xonar Essence One (E1). This time is an USB DAC rather than the PCI type like STX. It made me thinking, “ASUS produced one of the best sound card. What’s next? What would it sound like? Would it be better than the STX?" It got me excited just thinking about it.

However, the E1 retail price is USD599 (around RM1800). Judging from the price difference, one would naturally assume that the E1 should be must better than the Essence STX. Of course the E1 has plenty more features but end of the day the most important factor of a soundcard/DAC is the sound it produced.

After the E1 was finally announced officially, plenty of reviews popped out! Looking at the discussion on the E1 in reviews and forums, the feedback was kind of divided. Some said that the E1 is just a notch better compared to the STX while some were very impressed by it. Nevertheless, majority agreed that the build quality is top notch. After going through enough of reviews, I found myself itching to test the E1 to compare it with my STX.

Finally ASUS Malaysia announced the availability of E1 sold in Malaysia and “sadly” it is priced at RM1,899. For that price tag you can get decent HiFi-grade DAC and headphone amplifier combo. However, ASUS Malaysia representative contacted me whether I’m interested to review the ASUS Xonar Essence One and they are willing to ship it to my doorstep. Of course, I said yes!

The ASUS Xonar Essence One

user posted image

Similar to most of the reviews out there, the first impression was pretty shocking after looking at the size of the retail box and its weight. As usual at the front of the box contains the tiger symbol reference to Essence series product. At the back contains all the specifications.

user posted image

user posted image

Let’s look what’s in the retail box:
  • ASUS Xonar Essence One
  • Power Cord
  • USB A to B cable
  • 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter
  • User Manual
  • Driver CD
  • Audio Precision (AP) test report
Let’s look at the specification shall we?
user posted image

The build quality

No doubt that the ASUS Xonar Essence One has the premium finishing. I like the body and knobs build very much!

user posted image

Front view

From left:
  • Power button
  • Upsampling button and LED indicator
  • Input button and LED indicator for Coaxial, Toslink and USB
  • Mute button
  • DAC Volume knob
  • LED indicator for bit perfect and sample rate
  • Headphone volume knob
  • Headphone 6.5mm output
user posted image

Back view

From left:
  • Unbalanced output (RCA)
  • Balanced output (XLR)
  • Digital Input
    • Coaxial
    • Toslink
    • USB
  • Voltage selector: AC 115V or 223V slide switch
  • AC in
Let’s check out the electronics!

user posted image

“Teardown” on the ASUS Xonar Essence One shows the components on the DAC & Headphone Amp unit. From the left is the power section, with huge transformer connected to the board. The board will clean and conditioning the power source. At the top right is the audio section which contains DAC, caps and op-amps. Let’s take a closer look.

user posted image

That is where un-balanced (RCA), and balanced (XLR) output section
  • 2 x Texas Instrument PCM1795 DAC (1 Right + 1 Left)
  • 4 x NE5532 I/V stage (2 Right + 2 Left)
  • 2 x NE5532 Low Pass Filter (1 Right + 1 Left)
  • 1 x LM4562NA un-balanced buffer
  • 2 x LM4562NA balanced buffer (1 Right + 1 Left)
user posted image

That is where headphone output section
  • 2 x LME49720NA buffer (1 Right + 1 Left)
  • 2 x LME49600TS headphone amplifier (1 Right + 1 Left)

This post has been edited by xEDynamics: Aug 29 2013, 02:23 PM
TSxEDynamics
post Aug 29 2013, 12:02 PM

On my way
544 posts

Now, for easier understanding, allow me to show the flow for RCA and headphone output

user posted image

I’m surprised that the E1 use one DAC for each channel! This is the secret that makes E1 sound quality better than STX! If you want to replace the op-amps, you will need to replace it for both channels. For example you opted to replace I/V's op-amps, you will need four op-amps. Yes, it's quite complicated if you want to find the best op-amps combo which suits your audio taste, but when you are at it, it will be easy!

The setup

I’m using ASUS Xonar Essence STX as reference DAC and I’ll list out all audio equipment I’ll be using:

DAC
  • ASUS Xonar Essence STX
  • ASUS Xonar Essence One
Headphone
  • Sennheiser HD555
  • AKG K701
Headphone Amplifier
  • Rudistor NX-03
Cables
  • Copper Color 1st Anniversary Interconnect
  • QED PMC Qonduit Mains Power Cable
  • USB A to B cable
Op-amps
  • OPA2132
Player
  • Foobar2000 (ASIO 2.0)
Music Source
  • Audiophile 16-bit/24-bit CD
  • FLAC format
  • WAV format
Sound Quality, The Impression…

Audiophile CD – Yao Si Ting – Donna Donna

Stock op-amp with HD555:

It sounded great compare to STX, where the left and right channel felt more balanced and at the same time silent!! First thing I noticed that the sound stage was wider than STX. Thanks to the external power, the sound output was fast and very clean! The guitar and the flute sound was harmonious and very relaxing. The voice is warm and smooth. You can still hear the background music even she sings loud! It will put a smile on your face when you hear it! It was actually brighter than STX and felt, more lively and amazing! The headphone amplifier was much better than STX! Immediately I became very excited to try it with my AKG K701.

Stock op-amp with AKG K701:

Yes!! E1 can definitely drive AKG K701 better than the STX. But not to the extend where we would be jumping around impressed, because when i tuned the volume up and loud, it sound was washed out. Clearly, it’s not as strong as the Rudistor NX-03. Oh sorry! I’ve got carried away. Let’s get back to the topic. The E1 sounded much cleaner than STX as I could hear it clearly because AKG K701 is a very "sensitive" headphone! With the E1, I could hear the guitar very clearly, to an extend guitar string being played! The flute sounded very smooth too!! The mid and bass sounded balance. You can practically picture the instruments placement. At this point of time, you can tell that I really like the E1 already. It’s seems to stop saying that it is very clean and silent. So, how about pairing the E1 + RudiStor NX-03?

Stock E1 -> Rudistor NX-03 -> AKG K701

user posted image

Since the RudiStor NX-03 is a very clean amplifier as well, the result was as expected. E1 + RudiStor NX-03 produced even cleaner sounding. There’s no hissing sound at all. The STX + RudiStor NX-03 configuration is actually pretty near to the E1 by itself. E1 was still a notch ahead because of the power design. Perhaps if the STX is paired with a good external PSU, it would sound great as well.

The sound quality produced now much more refined. The sound stage is also wider. While the characteristics of E1 remains, the only difference was the whole configuration is able to drive the AKG K701 headphone. All instruments now felt very strong! I like the guitar playing. Seriously, E1 can replace STX for the sound quality!! Before this, STX also produced very well sounding, but when I listen to E1, I felt like STX lack of something, that is clean power!

Original CD – supercell – Kokuhaku (genre rock)

Stock op-amp with HD555:

The piano sounded flat and the electric guitar sound felt artificial, while the cymbal and drum sound strong, which I like it very much! The vocal wasn’t “swollen” by the background music. While on the STX at loud volume at the certain point, the vocal is being swollen by the background music. E1 had better separation.

OPA2132 (I/V stage) E1 with HD555

OPA2132 characteristics are warm tube like sound, soft, brighter and fluid vocal.

It sounds exactly like STX with OPA2132 on I/V stage. The difference was that the E1 sounded cleaner, wider and strong. So, that’s why E1 sounds better when stock STX vs stock E1. NE5532 (stock E1) sounds better than JRC2114D (stock STX). Now the piano sounded very musical and the electric guitar sounded almost real! That’s because OPA2132 produced warm tube like sound! The vocal brighter and fluid!! Sound stage is not as wide as stock op-amp. The cymbal is not as clean as stock op amp. But it cleaner than STX!

Conclusion

Apart from the price, the performance and the build quality is great! I find that the Xonar Essence One is more laid back and mellower compare to Essence STX after long hours of listening. I’m positive that is due to its clean power source and independent DAC! Also, it’s great that the E1 allows you to easily swap the op-amps, depending on your taste!

As for the upsampling features, I felt that it is not as clean as bit perfect. I prefer the upsampling is turned off. I don’t have the correct equipment to measure it. But from what I understand is it like video resolution, when you play 480p video on 1080p display, it will upscale to 1080p with the help of your GPU (upsampling). If use older or cheaper GPU, it will look washed out. If you use latest and more powerful GPU, the upscale will looks nice. For E1 upsampling it supposed to make the sound better, but it’s doesn’t seem to do job well or am I missing something here?

ASUS should lower the price tag. Of course, the sound quality is definitely better than STX but I would say RM1,499 or less should fare better with the local audiophiles here. At the price of RM1,899, there’s plenty of DAC + Headphone Amp out there which may be better than the E1.

Overall, the sound quality and electronics components really did match up to the latest audiophile equipments.
  • Performance: 5/5
  • Materials: 5/5
  • Specifications: 5/5
  • Appearance: 5/5
  • Performance/Price Value: 3/5
PROS:
  • DAC + headphone amplifier
  • Various connectivity
  • Good build quality
  • 8x upsampling
  • Swappable op-amps
CONS:
  • expensive
If you are looking to purchase ASUS Xonar Essence products but would like to audition it first, Audio Tech Network Service is the place to go to. For your information, they are ASUS authorized DAC and Headphone amp reseller. You can get E1 bundle with 2x Muses op-amps and 4x OPA2132 op-amps for RM1899!!

Audio Tech Service Network
27 Jalan Puteri 5/8, Bandar Puteri, 47100 Puchong, Selangor

This post has been edited by xEDynamics: Sep 2 2013, 06:48 PM
TSxEDynamics
post Aug 29 2013, 01:03 PM

On my way
544 posts

reserved for future use

This post has been edited by xEDynamics: Aug 29 2013, 02:11 PM
k3lvinNdad
post Aug 29 2013, 03:13 PM

Uulala
511 posts

Nice review =D
lex
post Aug 29 2013, 03:56 PM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

If not mistaken (from information around the web).... wink.gif

- Panasonic FR series capacitors, plus LM2990 and LM2940 LDO voltage regulators in the power supply section.
- Nichicon MUSE KT series and WIMA MKS2 film capacitors on the DAC and audio amplifier board.

As in the tradition of Essence STX, used Nichicon MUSE audio capacitors. icon_rolleyes.gif
power911
post Aug 29 2013, 06:30 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

lookin' serious O.o
andrekua2
post Aug 29 2013, 07:14 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,490 posts

Nice review...

Did you guys see Jimmy Auw E1 mod?
TSxEDynamics
post Aug 29 2013, 08:38 PM

On my way
544 posts

Thanks guys smile.gif

QUOTE(lex @ Aug 29 2013, 03:56 PM)
If not mistaken (from information around the web).... wink.gif

- Panasonic FR series capacitors, plus LM2990 and LM2940 LDO voltage regulators in the power supply section.
- Nichicon MUSE KT series and WIMA MKS2 film capacitors on the DAC and audio amplifier board.

As in the tradition of Essence STX, used Nichicon MUSE audio capacitors. icon_rolleyes.gif
Thanks for the additional info!

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Aug 29 2013, 07:14 PM)
Nice review...

Did you guys see Jimmy Auw E1 mod?
thanks, nope. I just google about him, wow! He really good at electronics, so it easier for him to do the mods.
jinggothegreat
post Aug 30 2013, 12:30 AM

Casual
333 posts

Asus XE one proud user reporting
TSxEDynamics
post Sep 2 2013, 06:49 PM

On my way
544 posts

QUOTE(jinggothegreat @ Aug 30 2013, 12:30 AM)
Asus XE one proud user reporting
What op-amps did u use? mind sharing? biggrin.gif
jinggothegreat
post Sep 2 2013, 07:31 PM

Casual
333 posts

QUOTE(xEDynamics @ Sep 2 2013, 06:49 PM)
What op-amps did u use? mind sharing? biggrin.gif
sorry not that techno savvy, kinda noob, i just used it out-of-box state.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

will fiddle around with opamps when got time.

my setup:

USB(ASIO\ReClock)>X4(Via Balanced Out)
USB(ASIO\Reclock)>HD555
phillip88
post Sep 2 2013, 08:14 PM

Sound of Silence
1,062 posts

Feel like jumping ship. The last time I have an uber DAC is DACport LX. Looking at this E1 for long. Wondering if how it fares among other contenders.
TSxEDynamics
post Sep 3 2013, 08:03 PM

On my way
544 posts

QUOTE(jinggothegreat @ Sep 2 2013, 07:31 PM)
sorry not that techno savvy, kinda noob, i just used it out-of-box state.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

will fiddle around with opamps when got time.

my setup:

USB(ASIO\ReClock)>X4(Via Balanced Out)
USB(ASIO\Reclock)>HD555
Nice speaker u have there!

QUOTE(phillip88 @ Sep 2 2013, 08:14 PM)
Feel like jumping ship. The last time I have an uber DAC is DACport LX. Looking at this E1 for long. Wondering if how it fares among other contenders.
u can audition E1 and compare it with your DACport LX smile.gif
dlyz
post Sep 3 2013, 10:43 PM

Dynaudio
1,826 posts

The RM1899 is Standard edition? What is the difference to the plus edition and Muse edition.

Im interested to know the price for Muse edition and where to buy.

This post has been edited by dlyz: Sep 3 2013, 11:01 PM
TSxEDynamics
post Sep 3 2013, 11:20 PM

On my way
544 posts

QUOTE(dlyz @ Sep 3 2013, 10:43 PM)
The RM1899 is Standard edition? What is the difference to the plus edition and Muse edition.

Im interested to know the price for Muse edition and where to buy.
  • Standard Edition is RM1899
  • Plus Edition (six extra op-amps 4x OPA2132PA, 2x LM4562NA) - RM N/A
  • Muse Edition (x6 Muses 01 op-amps) - RM N/A

Promo price for E1 + (2x Muses op-amps + 4x OPA2132PA op-amps) - RM1899

u can get it at:

This post has been edited by xEDynamics: Sep 3 2013, 11:20 PM
SSJBen
post Sep 4 2013, 04:38 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(xEDynamics @ Aug 29 2013, 12:02 PM)

As for the upsampling features, I felt that it is not as clean as bit perfect. I prefer the upsampling is turned off. I don’t have the correct equipment to measure it. But from what I understand is it like video resolution, when you play 480p video on 1080p display, it will upscale to 1080p with the help of your GPU (upsampling). If use older or cheaper GPU, it will look washed out. If you use latest and more powerful GPU, the upscale will looks nice. For E1 upsampling it supposed to make the sound better, but it’s doesn’t seem to do job well or am I missing something here?

First of all, good review.

Second, I've never felt that there's a need for upsampling. All it does is simply pad 0s from a 44khz/16bit file into whatever it is being upsampled to, which in my experience has created clipping. It's the same thing when you set a sample rate in Windows.
So no, it doesn't make your music sound better.

Also, on a side note... your analogy on old GPU upscaling worse vs new GPU upscalling better isn't a good example I think.
dlyz
post Sep 4 2013, 09:19 AM

Dynaudio
1,826 posts

QUOTE(xEDynamics @ Sep 3 2013, 11:20 PM)

• Standard Edition is RM1899
  • Plus Edition (six extra op-amps 4x OPA2132PA, 2x LM4562NA) - RM N/A
  • Muse Edition (x6 Muses 01 op-amps) - RM N/A

Promo price for E1 + (2x Muses op-amps + 4x OPA2132PA op-amps) - RM1899

u can get it at:

hmm looks like need to source from overseas. read that the Muses edition is a step up due to the Muses01 op-amps which is USD50 each.
TSxEDynamics
post Sep 4 2013, 10:03 AM

On my way
544 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Sep 4 2013, 04:38 AM)
First of all, good review.

Second, I've never felt that there's a need for upsampling. All it does is simply pad 0s from a 44khz/16bit file into whatever it is being upsampled to, which in my experience has created clipping. It's the same thing when you set a sample rate in Windows.
So no, it doesn't make your music sound better.

Also, on a side note... your analogy on old GPU upscaling worse vs new GPU upscalling better isn't a good example I think.
Yeah, when upsampling turned on, the instrument not strong and sharp like upsampling turned off. I don't understand why ASUS advertise upsampling as E1 main feature.

I've came up with that analogy because what I understand upsampling (sound) = upscaling (video) ?
devildevil87
post Sep 9 2013, 10:09 AM

Getting Started
198 posts

Look for this.
Saw the price blink.gif cry.gif
Need more hardwork to get it

This post has been edited by devildevil87: Sep 9 2013, 10:12 AM
TSxEDynamics
post Sep 11 2013, 10:58 AM

On my way
544 posts

QUOTE(devildevil87 @ Sep 9 2013, 10:09 AM)
Look for this.
Saw the price  blink.gif  cry.gif
Need more hardwork to get it
Don't worry bro, there's new Xonar Essence series u can consider. ASUS Xonar Essence STU (upgrade version of ST/STX), I just got it yesterday and currently doing review for it! Stay tuned! biggrin.gif

user posted image
k3lvinNdad
post Sep 11 2013, 12:03 PM

Uulala
511 posts

QUOTE(xEDynamics @ Sep 11 2013, 10:58 AM)
Don't worry bro, there's new Xonar Essence series u can consider. ASUS Xonar Essence STU (upgrade version of ST/STX), I just got it yesterday and currently doing review for it! Stay tuned!  biggrin.gif

user posted image
nichicon FGssssssss and WIMAsssssssss
SSJBen
post Sep 11 2013, 02:09 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

Looking forward to your views on the STU.

I personally found it a little too cold and analytical. Instruments may at times sound a little metalic too.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Sep 11 2013, 02:10 PM
TSxEDynamics
post Sep 11 2013, 03:28 PM

On my way
544 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Sep 11 2013, 02:09 PM)
Looking forward to your views on the STU.

I personally found it a little too cold and analytical. Instruments may at times sound a little metalic too.
1st thing I've notice that it not well balance and it not as clean as E1. Overall STU similar to STX, well I need sometime to play with it smile.gif

u mean artificial? that's the characteristics of LME49720NA (stock STU), the sound same like STX (LME49720NA I/V)..but when replace with OPA2132PA it sound good actually.
SSJBen
post Sep 11 2013, 06:26 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(xEDynamics @ Sep 11 2013, 03:28 PM)
1st thing I've notice that it not well balance and it not as clean as E1. Overall STU similar to STX, well I need sometime to play with it  smile.gif

u mean artificial? that's the characteristics of LME49720NA (stock STU), the sound same like STX (LME49720NA I/V)..but when replace with OPA2132PA it sound good actually.
Yup.
The STU is basically an external STX, couldn't differentiate them.

Was running it on stock op-amps, haven't had time to mess around yet.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0201sec    0.16    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:07 PM