Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How to send email to WAN within using intranet

views

TS7782268
post Aug 27 2013, 11:45 AM, updated 11y ago

22 posts

Hi all, currently i am handling a project for my company and i nee some advice/solution on it.

My company is using intranet only for their daily work due to business purpose. And now, manager level
want to send email to their client for futher easy communication.

My question is how i can setup the email function to them by sending the email by using intranet only?
tessei
post Aug 27 2013, 11:50 AM

Enthusiast
932 posts

cabling from your office to your client ?? sweat.gif rclxub.gif

even makcik / cleaner got broadband .... whistling.gif
csneo
post Aug 27 2013, 11:53 AM

Casual
389 posts

few option. Setup an email server locally which can online.
Manager connect to server locally, email server send the mail on behalf.
WaCKy-Angel
post Aug 27 2013, 11:57 AM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,509 posts

QUOTE(7782268 @ Aug 27 2013, 11:45 AM)
Hi all, currently i am handling a project for my company and i nee some advice/solution on it.

My company is using intranet only for their daily work due to business purpose. And now, manager level
want to send email to their client for futher easy communication.

My question is how i can setup the email function to them by sending the email by using intranet only?
If your company does not have an email server then you have to either setup one by yourself, or subscribe from hosting company.

If already have existing "company website" then i believe it should already haev company email starting with xxxxx@companyname.com
TS7782268
post Aug 27 2013, 12:14 PM

22 posts

My company does had a company address already + webmail.

Normally, if manager want to send email, they need go to the computer which got internet access to send it.

But now they want to simply their task and ask whether they can send it using they own computer which connect intranet.

I know need to do setting or using any application to do it but problem is i not sure how to do it.

Tessei,
My client data all is come from bank site. So, when my manager working, they all cant use handphone which
require from bank site. So broandband is not the solution i want.
kons
post Aug 27 2013, 03:16 PM

Конс
Group Icon
6,142 posts

Connect all the PCs to a LAN.

Just setup an email server running on the LAN.
Make sure only the email server can access the Internet to send mail.

The rest of the clients does not need to access the Internet.

You can block them using firewall and allow them to access only the email server and nothing else.
dkk
post Aug 28 2013, 02:37 PM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
11,400 posts

Set up email server on the computer with Internet access. Each manager will run an email client like outlook, and connect to this server. The server relays the email through the old server you've been using all this time.

I suggest the free Mercury email server. It runs on Windows, and is free with no limits. Relatively simple to setup.

The problem I see here is, if this "computer with Internet access" is not connected to the other computers in the LAN. (Because, if they're on the same network, how come the other computers don't have Internet access?). The simplest solution is to add another network card to this computer, so it has two network cables attached. One to the Internet, another to the intranet.

Connect all the computers to the Internet. But add a firewall. The firewall only allows traffic to the company's email server. Everything else is blocked.

If the manager's computers don't have Internet access, because of security reason (because you're dealing with bank data), then there is no solution. This is by definition. Because any solution will involve some sort of connection, and this will violate the security policy in place.

If the manager's computers are disconnected because of the security policy, then (2) is VERY risky. Yes you will need a firewall. You will also need someone with enough skills to administer it. If you're here asking for advice, than you're not the person, and neither am I smile.gif. (1) is also a bit risky, especially if this computer is running Windows. They're notoriously insecure, succeptible to all sorts of virus/malware/hacking. If this machine is compromised, and it is connected to both the Internet and the LAN, then the attackers have access to your Intranet.
TS7782268
post Aug 29 2013, 09:18 AM

22 posts

thanks guys for all the reply.

yesterday i had confirm with all the manager and supervisor, they suddenly just say the main purpose is to send email communication between among company(give them play fool around<_<)

as i know, for send email between company just using intranet, i can download software to configure it, am i correct?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0148sec    0.50    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:52 PM