Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Fraud from Used car dealer, tempered mileage

views

kadajawi
post Aug 26 2013, 05:43 PM

On my way
544 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Aug 26 2013, 04:29 PM)
Even direct owner can do that too! Only need to pay some one to do it.
If want to expose, practically all dealers are like that already, nothing new.
Of course they CAN do it, but they need to get the right contacts, they need to know it can be done. However car salesmen know these tricks, have these contacts and do it regularly. Chances are simply much higher.
6UE5T
post Aug 26 2013, 05:53 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(kadajawi @ Aug 26 2013, 05:43 PM)
Of course they CAN do it, but they need to get the right contacts, they need to know it can be done. However car salesmen know these tricks, have these contacts and do it regularly. Chances are simply much higher.
Yes, but what I'm saying is even buy from direct owner is not a guarantee. Those contacts to get people to rewind the odometer is very easy to get already.

So always focus more on the car condition, that is more representative of the car history instead fo the mileage.
Kelvin5717
post Aug 26 2013, 06:26 PM

Enthusiast
742 posts

QUOTE(celicaizpower @ Aug 26 2013, 05:00 PM)
Honestly, I have never relied on a vehicle milage meter.

A salesman once said this to my brother when he wanted to buy the car and was talking about milage.

Quote by the Salesman: "Ini keleta Cikgu pakai, dia punya skola depan dia punya rumah sajaaaaa, pagi pagi kasi panas enjin saja... manyak kurang jalan, itu pasat 10 taun pakai milage cuma 20000km saja."

For me, I just see the age of the car and the price I am willing to pay for it. the other is the condition of the car, sometimes you need to have a mechanic with you during the purchase or otherwise you can ask for extended warranty e.g. 1 week - 1 month. so that you have time to send it to your mechanic for checks.

my humble opinion. biggrin.gif
WTF doh.gif same story I heard from my sales man last time but is a chinese sales man, he's sales office in Kuchai Lama if not mistaken hahahaha doh.gif
Boy96
post Aug 26 2013, 06:46 PM

That's a tripod.
3,755 posts

All used car dealer uses this method, when my mum wanted to trade in her 2006 Civic, the guy wanted to take it at a lower price and said its my mums fault for sending it to Honda SC for every service.... In which if the new buyer knows the actual mileage, they can be sued..
kadajawi
post Aug 26 2013, 07:06 PM

On my way
544 posts

QUOTE(Boy96 @ Aug 26 2013, 06:46 PM)
All used car dealer uses this method, when my mum wanted to trade in her 2006 Civic, the guy wanted to take it at a lower price and said its my mums fault for sending it to Honda SC for every service.... In which if the new buyer knows the actual mileage, they can be sued..
Hahaha. Next time they want to bring down the price cause scratch free.

For me being serviced at the SC every time is a big plus when buying a second hand car. Without that I may not even be willing to buy it even if the price is good.

Of course besides buying from owner you have to be careful. But to avoid being cheated not buying from a used car dealer is already a good thing.
hafiez
post Aug 26 2013, 07:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,974 posts

i recently bought a 2nd hand car and im happy with it.

year make 2006 and the mileage when i purchased it earlier this month was only 67xxx.

i thought it was a too good to be true, so i bring along my trusted mechanic.

upon his checks, he agrees that this car still in good shape and condition.

surprisingly, the service record as at last year was 51k.

without doubt, i just take the car.

now im happy driving the car. just need to do some minor repairing; engine oil, ATF oil, tyres. the rest, still OK. icon_rolleyes.gif
ajul
post Aug 26 2013, 07:35 PM

100% ONLINE DEALER
1,258 posts

buying used cars is bout condition and service record...not about mileage...if mileage is low but service is suck also not good...
better buy used car, even mileage is high but maintenance is very good...just my opinion...:-)
kenneths88
post Aug 26 2013, 09:35 PM

Getting Started
214 posts

QUOTE(celicaizpower @ Aug 26 2013, 05:00 PM)
Honestly, I have never relied on a vehicle milage meter.

A salesman once said this to my brother when he wanted to buy the car and was talking about milage.

Quote by the Salesman: "Ini keleta Cikgu pakai, dia punya skola depan dia punya rumah sajaaaaa, pagi pagi kasi panas enjin saja... manyak kurang jalan, itu pasat 10 taun pakai milage cuma 20000km saja."

For me, I just see the age of the car and the price I am willing to pay for it. the other is the condition of the car, sometimes you need to have a mechanic with you during the purchase or otherwise you can ask for extended warranty e.g. 1 week - 1 month. so that you have time to send it to your mechanic for checks.

my humble opinion. biggrin.gif
Good advice.

The salesman said this before too. "This car belongs to Dato'. He has plenty of cars, therefore he rarely use this car" lol
jepakazoid_82
post Aug 26 2013, 10:05 PM

Enthusiast
829 posts

Malaysia's law enforcement not strong. So many loopholes.
nova_freak
post Aug 26 2013, 10:14 PM

Getting Started
99 posts

QUOTE(jepakazoid_82 @ Aug 26 2013, 10:05 PM)
Malaysia's law enforcement not strong. So many loopholes.
Sure la.. If no loopholes, how the law enforcer wan cari makan aka rasuah? This is Malaysia man...

This post has been edited by nova_freak: Aug 26 2013, 10:15 PM
TSSea Lion
post Aug 26 2013, 10:41 PM

31 posts

QUOTE(hafiez @ Aug 26 2013, 07:12 PM)
i recently bought a 2nd hand car and im happy with it.

year make 2006 and the mileage when i purchased it earlier this month was only 67xxx.

i thought it was a too good to be true, so i bring along my trusted mechanic.

upon his checks, he agrees that this car still in good shape and condition.

surprisingly, the service record as at last year was 51k.

without doubt, i just take the car.

now im happy driving the car. just need to do some minor repairing; engine oil, ATF oil, tyres. the rest, still OK. icon_rolleyes.gif
Lucky you thumbup.gif
6UE5T
post Aug 27 2013, 04:35 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(e60 @ Aug 27 2013, 04:51 AM)
Sometimes you can't see the tell-tale signs of a high mileage car from the interior if the car is mainly used for highway driving.

But highway mileage will usually manifest itself outside the car .

If the dealer hasn't resprayed the car, you can see stone chips, pitted edges at the front grille, yellowish headlights or badly scratched lenses.
I think should still be able to, coz even though highway use, the driver will still need to touch all those parts, right? Cannot be driving without even touching steering wheels. smile.gif Moreover 60k vs 200k mileage is very huge difference so that's should be very easy to spot if experienced enough.
Mooneyes
post Aug 27 2013, 04:40 PM

Time heals
2,730 posts

if i wanna sell my car later will i have problem like this..my car is trully underused(3 years only 13k km)
6UE5T
post Aug 27 2013, 05:46 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Mooneyes @ Aug 27 2013, 04:40 PM)
if i wanna sell my car later will i have problem like this..my car is trully underused(3 years only 13k km)
Don't worry if your mileage is genuine then it should be apparent and can be cross checked with the proper service records.
I also have 1 car rather low mileage now but not as low as yours (2.5yrs car at 35k mileage now).
Mooneyes
post Aug 27 2013, 05:55 PM

Time heals
2,730 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Aug 27 2013, 05:46 PM)
Don't worry if your mileage is genuine then it should be apparent and can be cross checked with the proper service records.
I also have 1 car rather low mileage now but not as low as yours (2.5yrs car at 35k mileage now).
but i rarely service my car..only once this year blush.gif
6UE5T
post Aug 27 2013, 05:59 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Mooneyes @ Aug 27 2013, 05:55 PM)
but i rarely service my car..only once this year blush.gif
That's logical since the car is also seldom used. My car also the first 23k mileage was done in the 1st year, then after that only added 12k for the last 1.5yrs so my service visit also now becomes much less frequent, but the SC record can still be used as proof. And most importantly the car condition would not lie!
yeezai
post Aug 27 2013, 07:24 PM

-using no way as way-having no limitation as limitation-
2,531 posts

QUOTE(overfloe @ Aug 26 2013, 11:46 AM)
I bet 99.9% of used car dealers will tamper the mileage, regardless of the age & condition. even recond cars are tampered.

Their favorite mileage? between 70,000-90,000km!

so, look at the condition rather than mileage.
yea go and look at mudah posting...most are having 90k milage...even those 05 car .....comeon if want to cheat be realistic ...
simongs
post Aug 27 2013, 10:34 PM

6 posts

In some cases is not possible to judge the mileage by looking at the interior or the engine compartment ...i clocked 210,000 in 5 yrs in my wira...seriosly when i sold it everyhing still looked quite new as i maintained in immaculate condition..still wt the ori radiator n the water was crystal clear..,!!!! The interior still looked vry2 much new..so its not easy to judge mileage merely by interior or engine parts appearance as someone pointed out here...in some cases yes u can....

Another thing is pls dont think a low mileage car engine will b in immaculate condition...if the car was jz used for short distances regularly then its not at all good for the engine..my car with 210,000 km nvr required any overhaul compared wt my friends wiras where 2 of them has to do top overhaul at 120,000km plus...they seldom use their car n mostly nsarby distance only...seldom outztation...mine was used extensively for outstation trips at close to high speeds most time...i only had to change clutch set n apart from tht usual tear n wear parts only...

So its vry subjective...v cant totally assume a high mileager would not b in good condition...n a low mileager in excellent condition..a car condition really depends on how well it was taken care off n how it was being driven...simply trashed or driven with care...an old man i knw few yrs ago used his iswara up to 350,000++km @ 10yrs before selling it...no engine oil consumption nvr did overhaul n gearbox in good condition....

So all the best whn huying 6sed car..make yr choice based on the actual condition of a car rathdr than depending on mileage reading...anyway car dealers tampering the metef is not lawful as it is done sith intention to cheat..i hope cheated buyers will sue the dealers...
TSSea Lion
post Aug 28 2013, 09:49 AM

31 posts

QUOTE(yeezai @ Aug 27 2013, 07:24 PM)
yea go and look at mudah posting...most are having 90k milage...even those 05 car .....comeon if want to cheat be realistic ...
90k mileage can turns out to be actually 250k. About 3 times more! They can just sell the car with the actual mileage and let the buyer be the judge of the car condition. Then it will be willing buyer willing seller basis.
Just wish for some preventive law to punish these traders. Totally unethical.
TSSea Lion
post Aug 28 2013, 09:57 AM

31 posts

QUOTE(simongs @ Aug 27 2013, 10:34 PM)
In some cases is not possible to judge the mileage by looking at the interior or the engine compartment ...i clocked 210,000 in 5 yrs in my wira...seriosly when i sold it everyhing still looked quite new as i maintained in immaculate condition..still wt the ori radiator n the water was crystal clear..,!!!! The interior still looked vry2 much new..so its not easy to judge mileage merely by interior or engine parts appearance as someone pointed out here...in some cases yes u can....

Another thing is pls dont think a low mileage car engine will b in immaculate condition...if the car was jz used for short distances regularly then its not at all good for the engine..my car with 210,000 km nvr required any overhaul compared wt my friends wiras where 2 of them has to do top overhaul at 120,000km plus...they seldom use their car n mostly nsarby distance only...seldom outztation...mine was used extensively for outstation trips at close to high speeds most time...i only had to change clutch set n apart from tht usual tear n wear parts only...

So its vry subjective...v cant totally assume a high mileager would not b in good condition...n a low mileager in excellent condition..a car condition really depends on how well it was taken care off n how it was being driven...simply trashed or driven with care...an old man i knw few yrs ago used his iswara up to 350,000++km @ 10yrs before selling it...no engine oil consumption nvr did overhaul n gearbox in good condition....

So all the best whn huying 6sed car..make yr choice based on the actual condition of a car rathdr than depending on mileage reading...anyway car dealers tampering the metef is not lawful as it is done sith intention to cheat..i hope cheated buyers will sue the dealers...
The car condition appeared good during viewing and inspection before I realised the mileage was actually tempered 3 times more! But once I am awared of the actual mileage, psychologically I feel the car is not that good and detected problems here and there. No more confidence in driving it. Only wish these criminals can be caught and properly punish. But now, what else can I do?

8 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0223sec    0.08    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:05 AM