views

ozak
post Jun 6 2021, 10:53 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(Lurker @ Jun 6 2021, 10:38 AM)
something for the whole family indeed!  bruce.gif
I share with family and friend who can access. But strictly internal consume. tongue.gif
xxboxx
post Jun 6 2021, 01:51 PM

The mind is for having ideas, not holding them
5,093 posts

QUOTE(acbc @ Jun 6 2021, 10:09 AM)
My current set-up consists of 5 units of Synology old models for media consumption.

DS1010+ @ TV Series (1080P)
DS410J @ ANIME & CARTOON (720P below)
DS411J @ TV Series (720P below)
DS213J @ P0rn
DS411J @ TV Series (720P below)

Total for all? 40TB capacity.

All the above were bought used or given away by friends. If I have at least 20K cash then can really upgrade to a better Synology with at least 100TB or higher.
Do you use Central Management System app? With it you can manage all NAS from 1 place. Home network admin almost same as corporate network admin tongue.gif
Having multiple small NAS is better than just 1 big NAS. 1 NAS die won't impact everything.
WaNaWe900
post Jun 7 2021, 04:20 PM

చąហ ąచҽ™
1,252 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jun 6 2021, 09:37 AM)
Stable Release not yet out, only have Release Candidate which is almost same as Stable Release. But Release Candidate won't be pushed as update to users.
I'm running it as virtual machine in my NAS so that can try it. If you want to try you can download this and run as virtual machine.
https://www.synology.com/en-global/support/...rtualDSM#system
Yup saw that but well not in rush icon_rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jun 6 2021, 09:47 AM)
Meanwhile, ransomware getting worse. Recently Fujifilm become the latest victim.
https://techcrunch.com/2021/06/03/fujifilm-...k/?guccounter=1

So bad now until White House write open letter to all corporations asking them to step up their security measures for ransomware defense.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/03/us/polit...astructure.html
Huh... I think most filtered by my Router, worried if does slip-in thru to the NAS thou sweat.gif as I enable QuickConnect & NTP/SMB hmm.gif
xxboxx
post Jun 7 2021, 09:57 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(WaNaWe900 @ Jun 7 2021, 04:20 PM)
Yup saw that but well not in rush  icon_rolleyes.gif
Huh... I think most filtered by my Router, worried if does slip-in thru to the NAS thou  sweat.gif as I enable QuickConnect & NTP/SMB  hmm.gif
You not using account with admin permission when connect to QuickConnect & NTP/SMB I hope.

Manipulation on your data (encrypted, deleted) from network (internal or external) happen by 2 ways:
1. Firmware vulnerability (very rare, but it does happen, like recently on QNAP)
2. Access to data with write permission account (99% of the cases)

Number 1, we as user can't do anything except shutdown the NAS and wait the company to come out update to fix it.

Number 2 is the most common reason, which is why never use account with admin permission for everyday read/write data. Only use admin account for doing settings on DSM such as change things in Control Panel or Hyper Backup. Also make sure to have ways to get back your data if being deleted or encrypted, such as using snapshot and make periodic backup.

Only use user account with write permission no matter in internal or external network. User account that's compromised can only make damage on data that's accessible on surface level, snapshot and backup is on lower level that will not be accessible for user account. Let's say your PC is infected with virus that encrypt all data, and your PC also connected to NAS by NFS/SMB with write permission account, the virus now can access and encrypt surface level data on NAS. Why it's important to have snapshot and backup.

This youtuber recently got hit by ransomware on his NAS. It's partly QNAP fault as after 3 months being made known of the vulnerability they still haven't patch it, they only release patch 2 weeks after the vulnerability being made known to the public. The youtuber lose media files of his family and youtube video, and enduring so much stress, because he never make backup of those files. It's same as those that think oh I got my data on Google Drive or Dropbox, I'm safe. Well what happen if hacker stole the credential and remove the data? Never push the responsibility to safeguard your data to corporation.

ozak
post Jun 7 2021, 10:13 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jun 7 2021, 09:57 PM)
You not using account with admin permission when connect to QuickConnect & NTP/SMB I hope.

Manipulation on your data (encrypted, deleted) from network (internal or external) happen by 2 ways:
1. Firmware vulnerability (very rare, but it does happen, like recently on QNAP)

Number 1, we as user can't do anything except shutdown the NAS and wait the company to come out update to fix it.

Number 2 is the most common reason, which is why never use account with admin permission for everyday read/write data. Only use admin account for doing settings on DSM such as change things in Control Panel or Hyper Backup. Also make sure to have ways to get back your data if being deleted or encrypted, such as using snapshot and make periodic backup.

Only use user account with write permission no matter in internal or external network. User account that's compromised can only make damage on data that's accessible on surface level, snapshot and backup is on lower level that will not be accessible for user account. Let's say your PC is infected with virus that encrypt all data, and your PC also connected to NAS by NFS/SMB with write permission account, the virus now can access and encrypt surface level data on NAS. Why it's important to have snapshot and backup.

This youtuber recently got hit by ransomware on his NAS. It's partly QNAP fault as after 3 months being made known of the vulnerability they still haven't patch it, they only release patch 2 weeks after the vulnerability being made known to the public. The youtuber lose media files of his family and youtube video, and enduring so much stress, because he never make backup of those files. It's same as those that think oh I got my data on Google Drive or Dropbox, I'm safe. Well what happen if hacker stole the credential and remove the data? Never push the responsibility to safeguard your data to corporation.

No wonder I keep on get a the admin bla bla bla message every time log in.

I worry that message is a spyware.
xxboxx
post Jun 8 2021, 09:26 AM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jun 7 2021, 10:13 PM)
No wonder I keep on get a the admin bla bla bla message every time log in.

I worry that message is a spyware.
You still using the default "admin" admin account? Synology advice to create another admin account with different name and then disable "admin" account.
If not mistaken few years ago Synology start to implement when new NAS initialize it will ask to create an admin account and then auto disable the default "admin" account.
ozak
post Jun 8 2021, 09:58 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jun 8 2021, 09:26 AM)
You still using the default "admin" admin account? Synology advice to create another admin account with different name and then disable "admin" account.
If not mistaken few years ago Synology start to implement when new NAS initialize it will ask to create an admin account and then auto disable the default "admin" account.
Ya, still using admin. thought it is convenient.

But I don't get any message about disable admin during setup time.

Only recently keep pop out.
xxboxx
post Jun 8 2021, 11:43 AM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jun 8 2021, 09:58 AM)
Ya, still using admin. thought it is convenient.

But I don't get any message about disable admin during setup time.

Only recently keep pop out.
Yours many years already right? I think last 2 or 3 years only when Synology start implementing auto disable default admin during setup.

Convenient for you, also convenient for hacker as less 1 thing they need to figure out. tongue.gif
You should disable default admin account for security. Only when log in have to use new admin name, all existing settings remain the same even after change admin.
ozak
post Jun 8 2021, 11:50 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jun 8 2021, 11:43 AM)
Yours many years already right? I think last 2 or 3 years only when Synology start implementing auto disable default admin during setup.

Convenient for you, also convenient for hacker as less 1 thing they need to figure out. tongue.gif
You should disable default admin account for security. Only when log in have to use new admin name, all existing settings remain the same even after change admin.
Ya, start to do that.
WaNaWe900
post Jun 8 2021, 07:53 PM

చąហ ąచҽ™
1,252 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jun 7 2021, 09:57 PM)

Yup I use another account for Administrative task and normal user access daily icon_rolleyes.gif had enable the backup & snapshot too... well do manual backup in period of time only less consistent and when major changes happened hmm.gif
bobowyc
post Jun 8 2021, 08:13 PM

You are who you are.
1,888 posts

Hi guys, anyone here using Asus NAS? Im currently using Asustor AS5202t, currently i am not sure on how to make my NAS to stream content on my phone when im out of the house. Anyone can help me in this? So far i have not sorted out time to figure this out as i am working and when i get home i just wanna relax and play some games. so to say lazy la. lol haha Thanks!
xxboxx
post Jun 8 2021, 10:09 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(bobowyc @ Jun 8 2021, 08:13 PM)
Hi guys, anyone here using Asus NAS? Im currently using Asustor AS5202t, currently i am not sure on how to make my NAS to stream content on my phone when im out of the house. Anyone can help me in this? So far i have not sorted out time to figure this out as i am working and when i get home i just wanna relax and play some games. so to say lazy la. lol haha Thanks!
You can use EZ-Connect to get your data remotely from NAS.
https://www.asustor.com/en-gb/online/College_topic?topic=221

Bear in mind that doing so will expose your NAS to the internet, which means remote hacker or virus can now find ways to get into your NAS. One way to secure it is by having your NAS connected to VPN, so only those with your VPN access can connect to your NAS.
bobowyc
post Jun 8 2021, 10:54 PM

You are who you are.
1,888 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jun 8 2021, 10:09 PM)
You can use EZ-Connect to get your data remotely from NAS.
https://www.asustor.com/en-gb/online/College_topic?topic=221

Bear in mind that doing so will expose your NAS to the internet, which means remote hacker or virus can now find ways to get into your NAS. One way to secure it is by having your NAS connected to VPN, so only those with your VPN access can connect to your NAS.
Thanks! Will try it out! hehe

Edit: Actually also using it through the router now, only think is i need to be connected to LAN/Wifi of the router only can access the data. Other than that cant. I tried using the app, also same, need wifi only can. :\ So means if i use remote access it might cause hackers to hack my router? shocking.gif

This post has been edited by bobowyc: Jun 8 2021, 10:56 PM
xxboxx
post Jun 9 2021, 11:36 AM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(bobowyc @ Jun 8 2021, 10:54 PM)
Thanks! Will try it out! hehe

Edit: Actually also using it through the router now, only think is i need to be connected to LAN/Wifi of the router only can access the data. Other than that cant. I tried using the app, also same, need wifi only can. :\ So means if i use remote access it might cause hackers to hack my router?  shocking.gif
If you can't access the NAS remotely, means you haven't done proper settings in NAS and/or router.

Not hack router, that already being/continue attempted since router have access to internet. Whatever things that have access to internet will also risk it to be hacked remotely. See the video I post earlier, the guy NAS got hacked and data encrypted by ransomware.
stormer.lyn
post Jun 19 2021, 06:33 PM

Enthusiast
741 posts

Just a follow up on my experiment with building my own NAS using PC components.

I've gone with the Dell motherboard and i3-2120 instead of the AMD A6 that I had. Reason being Intel raw power is better, instead of AMD graphics is better, as the NAS will be headless anyway. Running for more than a week already, fully stable and performing well. Copy to-from NAS is in excess of 100 MB/s, when my old Synology was around 20 MB/s usually.

Running Docker, with Pi-hole (separate IP using vlan), Deluge, qBittorrent and Syncthing. Perhaps will add Plex and Shinobi, but not really required. The NAS has 2 drives, so there is a rsync backup between them, and also UPS is attached and tested working shutdown. Auto backup of my documents every time I plug in a USB drive, without any intervention from me. It's working so well that I have shut down the Synology.

I splurged and bought a Jonsbo C2 case for RM 45. And the RAM was RM 35. Using all the items I already had, and the HDDs from the Synology, I think it is extremely good value at under RM 100 extra outlay. Maybe I'll splurge again and get the highest efficiency PSU that I can. Will be getting a power meter soon to see the actual consumption from the wall socket.

So this is my strangest observation. Yes, it took time to learn how to set up Open Media Vault. But I now have a better grasp of shares and permissions on the OMV NAS than the Synology. Since I'm retiring the Synology, I've put in another HDD, and trying to set it up again is confusing as hell! DSM is seriously unfriendly.

This is typical for the OMV NAS. 19 GB file!
user posted image

This is typical for the Synology NAS
user posted image

Anyway.... if you only think of a brand name for your NAS, then go right ahead. But if you are willing to see what alternatives are out there, and don't mind doing a little work, well, I think self built NASes are a valid path no matter if you choose OMV, FreeNAS, XigmaNAS, or something like DietPi. Good luck, you can do it!
xxboxx
post Jun 20 2021, 10:02 PM

5,093 posts

These days open source NAS's OS also more easier to set up that makes it almost as easy as prebuilt NAS. To stay ahead prebuilt NAS offer multitude of apps so that it's functions extend beyond just network's storage.

I just tried Synology's Note Station as I want to use less of Google's apps, before this I use Keep. I was surprised that Note Station is very features rich. I thought it was just simple note taking like Keep. Formatting is rich like One Note, can even embed youtube video in note. Notes can be organized in folder and sub folder and also support tagging and searching. It's really an underrated app.
WaNaWe900
post Jun 22 2021, 11:10 PM

చąហ ąచҽ™
1,252 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jun 20 2021, 10:02 PM)
These days open source NAS's OS also more easier to set up that makes it almost as easy as prebuilt NAS. To stay ahead prebuilt NAS offer multitude of apps so that it's functions extend beyond just network's storage.

I just tried Synology's Note Station as I want to use less of Google's apps, before this I use Keep. I was surprised that Note Station is very features rich. I thought it was just simple note taking like Keep. Formatting is rich like One Note, can even embed youtube video in note. Notes can be organized in folder and sub folder and also support tagging and searching. It's really an underrated app.
shocking.gif I'm still with GKeep... maybe will try the Note Station too icon_rolleyes.gif
xxboxx
post Jun 23 2021, 02:33 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(WaNaWe900 @ Jun 22 2021, 11:10 PM)
shocking.gif  I'm still with GKeep... maybe will try the Note Station too  icon_rolleyes.gif
I feel notes in Keep is a mess since cannot arrange it by folder, used to this way like doing file management. Sure, can use tags but I prefer to arrange by folder which is separate than tagging. Drawback is it doesn't have reminder or task function. Keep I feel better for short note or reminder while Note Station better for rich formatting notes for archiving. And I just found out that tags can be nested in another tag. mega_shok.gif Going to re organized all my tags again.

It doesn't have drawing function, which what I really like about One Note. But the functions available is not bad.
user posted image
xxboxx
post Jun 24 2021, 01:14 PM

5,093 posts

DSM 7 gonna be released on 29th June

WaNaWe900
post Jun 25 2021, 10:51 PM

చąហ ąచҽ™
1,252 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jun 23 2021, 02:33 PM)
I feel notes in Keep is a mess since cannot arrange it by folder, used to this way like doing file management. Sure, can use tags but I prefer to arrange by folder which is separate than tagging. Drawback is it doesn't have reminder or task function. Keep I feel better for short note or reminder while Note Station better for rich formatting notes for archiving. And I just found out that tags can be nested in another tag.  mega_shok.gif Going to re organized all my tags again.

It doesn't have drawing function, which what I really like about One Note. But the functions available is not bad.
indeed Keep no folder, just arrange with Labels... still exploring Note Station sweat.gif

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jun 24 2021, 01:14 PM)
DSM 7 gonna be released on 29th June

Hopefully available for XS too icon_rolleyes.gif

93 Pages « < 70 71 72 73 74 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0328sec    0.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:16 PM