Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Folding Bicycles v2, Dahon, Tern, Java, Oribike, Bromptons

views

kkm
post Aug 18 2013, 10:19 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

Yaloh, like me, looking at other brands, cannot join lah...
kkm
post Aug 20 2013, 10:41 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(earl-ku @ Aug 20 2013, 10:18 PM)
doesnt hurt to go walk around those shops ... go a few shops ... see who you "syiok" lah ... service and friendliness matters ...

for me even though the price might vary ... but if that shop is friendly ... i would pay the difference

and its an outdoor sport ... stop checking price online and calling ... get up and go out
I'm looking for my first foldie too, been to a few shops to check things out. There was this place where the taikors here say the owner is so friendly. He was, but only to his friends who were chatting with him there. I came in the rain, stood there for 10 minutes, and they totally ignored me. Didn't even glance at me, and their closed conversation didn't give me any chance.

Never going back there again...
kkm
post Aug 20 2013, 11:43 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(budgee @ Aug 20 2013, 10:56 PM)
Are you talking about the one in BU?  They are probably very engrossed in their conversation to notice much else.  There are mostly big boys who want to pass the time and talk more than anything else. 

Just go up to the boss and say:  Hi ! I am looking for a foldable bike,  and he'll show you what's available.

Once I asked for a model that he did not have and he right away called up the main distributor to check...
Well, the boss was the one deep in chit chat with his foldie biker friends, so it was difficult (and probably very rude too) for me to break into their buddy-buddy conversation. I did try to catch his eye, but they were too engrossed with talking about replacement rims, and powdering new tires, and such bike stuff, didn't even look at me standing there next to them. So after 10 mins, I left.
kkm
post Aug 20 2013, 11:48 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(etigge @ Aug 20 2013, 11:43 PM)
I think I saw you. Are you in glasses and darkish standing behind the boxes. If it was, you didn't walk into the shop at all. Give the place another chance. You didn't sound a word.
Nope, that wasn't me. I actually stood right in front of the group, it was drizzling, about 4pm. But nvm lah, I'm starting to sound like I'm whining. Just wanted to let off some steam, now I'll move on.
kkm
post Aug 22 2013, 02:40 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

Ok, to the many sifus here, I've been looking around at getting a foldie, I'm not really a serious biker, so more for fresh air and exercise. I've been to a few shops, and looked at the availability of different models at or under my budget of slightly over rm1k.

I'm now looking at either something basic like the Tern c7, or better spec bikes like the Hasa F1 or the Java Fit or even the XDS AFB320. Van's currently doing a promo on the c7, so quite attractive, but if I were to ever get better, would need to spend on upgrades.

I have read a lot on the Tern c7. Anybody have comments or opinions to share on the other bikes mentioned above? Would really be helpful...
kkm
post Aug 22 2013, 02:45 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(gilbertlhl @ Aug 22 2013, 02:43 PM)
Like Sam say.... Any functional bike is good. Get urself fit, cos ur bike will be as good as the rider....hahahaha tongue.gif
Oh no, that means I'll be buying a pretty lousy bike to start with... blush.gif
kkm
post Aug 22 2013, 02:55 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(samosaurus @ Aug 22 2013, 02:51 PM)
It's hard to purchase a good bike at your preferred budget. Even the Tern Link C7 is sold at RM1.4K, (I believe that Van cycles has some freebies thrown-in at that price).

For that price, you can also consider the Dahon Boardwalk D7, a proven bike with a decent component package...

XDS bikes are quite pricey considering the fact that they give lower-grade components.

Another bike that you can consider is the Dahon Vybe (7-speed under RM1K).

Sam
Thanks Sam. As you can see my budget is already straying northwards. It's just that once I think of spending more, so-called "value for money" gets into the equation. Hence the Hasa/XDS/Java thoughts.
kkm
post Aug 22 2013, 03:00 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(gilbertlhl @ Aug 22 2013, 02:54 PM)
Buy like my 1 better la... got the look... hahahahahah rclxm9.gif
And which model is that?
kkm
post Aug 30 2013, 02:12 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(gataddhin @ Aug 30 2013, 02:07 PM)
I went to Rodalink Klang this morning for Merdeka Sale.

Tern Bikes 20%
Tern Accessories 20%
Dahon Bikes 15%
Dahan Accessories 20%
Biologic Products 50%
Topeak Products 20%

I met a gentleman who was looking at Tern Link D8. He finally bought the Tern Link P9 after listening to my recommendation.  He also bought a carry-on cover.

I bought a Polygon Cargo MTB shorts with detachable padded underwear for RM90 after 50%. It has 4 pockets and good for use on touring. It looks like normal shorts, thus can use for weekend shopping shorts. Haha.
It was me. Got poisoned by all the chat about how better the P9 deal was. And it was! And you were not the 1st one to tell me. Thanks...
kkm
post Aug 30 2013, 03:13 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 30 2013, 02:56 PM)
Huh? Are u the guy I met too? U were saying C7 cannot upgrade due to the cassette etc and Van urban having very less promotion?
Nope.
kkm
post Aug 30 2013, 04:33 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 30 2013, 03:24 PM)
Tern Link P9 only two colour there. Red/black and White/Blue. I still love White/Red
Actually there were 2 pieces of P9, one black and one all white (complete with white rims and white mudguard). I bought the black one, on the advice (which I agreed) that it was more discreet, and probably easier to sell off if I wanted to do so in future.
kkm
post Sep 6 2013, 12:03 AM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(etigge @ Sep 5 2013, 11:46 PM)
My wife is just itchy to get a new bike and also she like the more feminine looking Boardwalk. So, anyone interested in the Eco C7 which is mounted with all the new stuffs and also upgraded to 8 speed!  rclxms.gif
And what are you asking for the c7? Pm me.
kkm
post Sep 6 2013, 12:04 AM

Enthusiast
890 posts

This post has been edited by kkm: Sep 6 2013, 12:15 AM
kkm
post Sep 13 2013, 08:18 AM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(KrankZ @ Sep 13 2013, 02:52 AM)
i agree wat u said.
i bought my folding bike from usj cycle.
they didn't service after i bought from them.
nvm, i went back for the service the gear n brake, after service the brake i just went home n try the bike. i notice that my front v brake is not responsive. i was like wtf, end up i fixed it myself.
their after sales service r very bad.
I may have caught the uncle on a bad day, but the pre-sales service wasn't much better when I was there during my shopping rounds...

This post has been edited by kkm: Sep 13 2013, 08:19 AM
kkm
post Oct 2 2013, 01:07 AM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(Robyn @ Oct 2 2013, 12:05 AM)
tonight went to Etigee "workshop" again, and finally get my P9 chain drop issues fixed !!  rclxm9.gif

Thanks Again !!  thumbup.gif
Was it by adjusting the chain guard?
kkm
post Oct 7 2013, 02:02 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(Robyn @ Oct 7 2013, 12:48 PM)
so far no more chain drop after etigee tuned. yesterday done 50km also no drop
Hi, possible to attach a pic of the modified part?
Thanks.
kkm
post Oct 15 2013, 09:42 AM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(etigge @ Oct 14 2013, 04:29 PM)
I have just TRIED to mod another forummer's Tern P9 to dual chain rings. Everything was OK until we found out that the Neos RD cannot accommodate multiple chain rings, maybe 52/42T is possible but what I have is a 39T chain ring. Added to the original 53.  The chain lag is too much when on the smaller chain ring and the smallest cog at the rear and when cut short it cannot accommodate the larger chain ring with the largest 32T cog at the rear. The Neos RD cage is TOO SHORT!. Also noted that the Neos 3.0, 9 speed unit, the quality is even inferior to the unit on Speed P8. There's some freeplay on the RD's spring sections which is not on the old Speed P8's unit. Since the only issue he wants to change is to alleviate the Frogging Chains, I then just took everything out and put in an old Speed P8 chain guard which was slightly thicker and harder. Also, the same rubber dust cap on the Kinetix hubs is resisting the smooth turning of the rims.

Also the SRAM Attack propriecty shifter for Neos is one F**kup shifter  vmad.gif . Try changing the cable and you will know. I even took it to a Tern dealer and he too can't figure it out unless you 'kopak' everything out. Anyway, I am still figuring the real way to change the cables. Hahaha. I wonder why they want to make it so complicated. Complicated means sophisticated to them, maybe,

So, those who wants to mod the P9s to dual chainrings, factor in changing RDs as well. Also get the adapter as well for the RD.

Also anyone here rides a Trinx 16 speed, 22inch bike? I was calibrating the brakes when I realize that the left levers controls the front and right levers controls the back. It should be the other way round. Rule of thumb! Front shifters side front brakes and back shifters side, rear brakes. Anyone here ridng Trinx, can you confirm?  hmm.gif
That was me!

It was a very instructive day for me with Wong sifu, can pick up a lot just watching him work..

Thanks for the patience...

kkm
post Oct 19 2013, 07:14 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(ape @ Oct 19 2013, 01:56 PM)
Thanks cfu Wong @etigge help me to turn my P9 to P20, really appreciate...
Had to change the RD? I'm checking around for the adapter...
kkm
post Oct 31 2013, 09:50 AM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(zeliustitan @ Oct 30 2013, 10:02 PM)
Get Knog Blinder Road 3 with Knog Blinder Road R. Satisfaction guaranteed.. can get from Vans Urban..
How much ah?
kkm
post Feb 9 2014, 06:43 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

QUOTE(etigge @ Feb 9 2014, 12:59 PM)
Letting it go with all the moddings. Interested PM me. Changing it for another velo. Hard to ride with my wife when one is a velo while another one a folding bike. I also sayang my Dahon Speed so this one have to go. cry.gif  bye.gif

user posted image
Pm me the price? My friend looking for a bike...

2 Pages  1 2 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1022sec    1.37    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th February 2020 - 02:08 AM