Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

USB cable, dual head usb cable

views

TS!@#$%^
post Aug 16 2013, 01:25 PM, updated 11y ago

Safe Trader
All Stars
16,629 posts

I'd just like to ask about the dual head usb cable. as far as i know, 1 would be for data + power and the other would be for power alone in case the 1st have not enough power.

my question is, is it possible to connect the data + power cable to the laptop, while d additional power usb plugged into an external power supply (say from a 3 pin socket using a usb adaptor) ? will it hard the hardware in any way by doing so - external hard disc or usb modem?

reason:
my laptop has 3 usb ports. 1 is for my wifi mouse, 1 is for my hard disc and more recently a usb modem. however, whenever the usb modem is being used, the wifi mouse will not work properly which i assume is because of the lack of power.

any advice will be helpful. thanks
lex
post Aug 16 2013, 01:50 PM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

QUOTE(alexanderclz @ Aug 16 2013, 01:25 PM)
I'd just like to ask about the dual head usb cable. as far as i know, 1 would be for data + power and the other would be for power alone in case the 1st have not enough power.

my question is, is it possible to connect the data + power cable to the laptop, while d additional power usb plugged into an external power supply (say from a 3 pin socket using a usb adaptor) ? will it hard the hardware in any way by doing so - external hard disc or usb modem?
That's not a very good idea. If one side of the power source has a slightly lower voltage then some current will be flowing from the higher potential to lower potential. If the USB port has lower voltage then it may damage the USB port (due to reverse current). If the USB power adapter has lower voltage then it will steal some current from USB port instead. hmm.gif

QUOTE(alexanderclz @ Aug 16 2013, 01:25 PM)
reason:
my laptop has 3 usb ports. 1 is for my wifi mouse, 1 is for my hard disc and more recently a usb modem.  however, whenever the usb modem is being used, the wifi mouse will not work properly which i assume is because of the lack of power.

any advice will be helpful. thanks
Use a mains powered USB hub. In other words get an USB hub that uses power from an AC-to-DC adapter. That should solve most of the power issues and lack of USB ports. nod.gif
TS!@#$%^
post Aug 16 2013, 04:49 PM

Safe Trader
All Stars
16,629 posts

hmmm I see. thanks for d explanation smile.gif
kennychua
post Aug 16 2013, 07:24 PM

Getting Started
135 posts

it is fine if the "3 pin socket using a usb adaptor" is of high quality
TS!@#$%^
post Aug 16 2013, 09:15 PM

Safe Trader
All Stars
16,629 posts

QUOTE(kennychua @ Aug 16 2013, 07:24 PM)
it is fine if the "3 pin socket using a usb adaptor" is of high quality
hmmm like those from iphone or other handphones ones?
kennychua
post Aug 16 2013, 09:22 PM

Getting Started
135 posts

yes

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    0.17    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:14 AM