Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Seeking mental health care: how likely will you ?, Counselling, Psychologist, psychiatrist

views

gennee
post Aug 16 2013, 11:13 AM

Getting Started
169 posts

QUOTE(Stevecy @ Aug 15 2013, 04:58 PM)
Personally I am in the mental health field and I would like to get a gauge from the online community on the perceptions on mental health care in Malaysia.

How likely will you consider seeking help from a mental health professional (e.g: Counselor, psychologist, psychiatrist) if let's say you are facing a mental health crisis or major obstacle in life (e.g.: bad breakup, grief, loss of job etc)

As a bonus question, are you aware of any of these services that are available to you?

Feel free to share your experiences, be it good or bad  laugh.gif
i think in asian culture, mental or psychological health is something most people choose to ignore or choose not to acknowledge. Typically, parents of kids with mental issues would expect this sort of "sickness" would heal by itself, over the time and they fail to realise, mental health is equally important as your health as a whole, till it's too late.

the public is not making it easier either. Public perceptions of those who has gone for psychological treatment is often perceived as "orang gila" and therefore would stay as far as possible from people like them, especially, family members when family support is needed at crucial times like this.

and since mental health is not given much priority over here, i dont know where to start when i really needed to get help. the only thing i've heard is "Befrienders" and how extensive and reliable of them helping is still questionable.

i was searching for counselor, psychologist, psychiatrist for someone very dear to me (he claimed he has anxiety disorder, from the symptoms he read online, i thought it would be good for him to seek professional help) and there isnt a proper channel for me to connect him to. all i know is i can start with a counsellor from unis / colleges and it's a matter of trial and error. if the counsellor is not suitable or the search continues.

and the fees for session isnt exactly cheap.

gennee
post Aug 16 2013, 11:42 AM

Getting Started
169 posts

QUOTE(Stevecy @ Aug 16 2013, 11:26 AM)
Thanks for sharing, I believe you are not the first in facing such difficulties. Have you or your friend tried looking for help in hospitals or private clinics (kinda rare)?

I believe Befrienders are para-counselors who did receive certain amount of training but are still not registered counselors, they are able to listen to your problems but would refrain from providing any kind of intervention. They usually encourage the callers to seek professional help. A really big salute to them because most of them work on a voluntary basis, managing crisis hotlines sometimes deep into the night just to help people  thumbup.gif
I'm doing this for a family member smile.gif he wants to speak to a counsellor or psychologist but he doesn't know which one to choose (public or private hospital) and he's also afraid. some say, for public hospital, you'll be put in the waiting list and you'll have to wait for months before you get to speak to someone.

whereas, some say, he doesnt have to speak to a certified psychologist first, he can start of with a counsellor and they're usually lecturers / professors of colleges.

and we couldnt get any referral from our GP but he doesnt have connection with these people.

i've yet to arrange a session for him cos i myself do not know where to start.

gennee
post Aug 19 2013, 02:01 PM

Getting Started
169 posts

QUOTE(Tham @ Aug 19 2013, 01:11 AM)
You could try HUKM. I don't think there is any particularly long waiting time.
Just visit one of the $1 government clinics around town, or any private clinic,
and ask the GP if he can refer you to the psychiatric department there.

This woman in my office has an elder brother who has been referred there
for severe depression, and hospitalized several times in fact.  I didn't hear
her saying anything about a long waiting period.

The last I heard, he was on a heavy regimen of at least three drugs - an SSRI
(I think citalopram or escitalopram), a tetracyclic (mirtazapine) and a benzodiazepine.
And he was getting them free, or at very low cost. SSRIs cost a bomb.

Otherwise, if his anxiety is mild to moderate, any GP could prescribe basic drugs
like Ativan, Tranxene, Xanax or low dose of flupenthixol for a start.
There are also quite a few supplements you could try, particularly 5-HTP an
L-theanine, the green tea amino acid.

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=61758700
Though there may still be one or two doctors there, the Befrienders are
usually manned by part-time office workers and students who have little
or no training in psychology.
You could try also contacting the Malaysian Mental Health and Psychiatric associations.
http://www.psychiatry-malaysia.org/

www.mentalhealth.org.my
thanks.

but i think my brother should talk to a counsellor or psychologist first. i doubt i want him to start with medication right away.
gennee
post Aug 19 2013, 02:02 PM

Getting Started
169 posts

QUOTE(Stevecy @ Aug 16 2013, 01:19 PM)
You can try referring to the link below:

http://counselingpsychologyinmalaysia.word...ealth-services/

http://cpcsathelp.blogspot.com/

I think its not completely updated but its a good place to start.
thanks. will look into this. smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0395sec    0.53    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:08 PM