Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Lost Careers Club, jobs not careers talk

views

theeastdevil
post May 18 2022, 12:23 PM

Getting Started
293 posts

my company is moving to new building and the travelling time is going to kill me slowly..

pay, allowances and bonus are great..but my concern is no company can provide the same.. how?
Pinangkid
post May 18 2022, 02:55 PM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(BlurGuy1992 @ May 17 2022, 03:29 PM)
I just quit last week without a backup due to real stress and couldn't cope anymore. Luckily I have some saving to survive, but I think my job searching road ahead will be tough.
Don't mind to downgrade abit and look for a less stress job 😣 looking what I'm interested and my age is no longer young like freshman, where people may give u chances to try out new field, as they may have think same price/salary, might as well hire young innocent fresh grad right?
1. how long your saving can last you?
2. i think getting a new job is not that hard if your request salary is within the market offer.
i have quit all my previous jobs wihout a job. getting a new job is not that hard. but it is just like jumping from 1 hole to another hole.
mezanny
post May 18 2022, 04:13 PM

Enthusiast
709 posts

QUOTE(cazorla81 @ Jun 17 2018, 01:27 PM)
Time to bump up this old thread again, joined the club on my early 30s, now already mid 30...

Time flies

I am still in the company I joined 3 years back. In terms of environment, technology, client base, work life balance, colleagues, mentor-ship, no complain. Even pay, although this year may not have bonus due to company transformation, I still would have little complains. I have now have 3 solid years of implementation experience on the world class service platform and would have not worry to find another job, for my next 10 years of my IT career. If I wanted to migrated, I can also rely on skill migration (which now I have change my mind as our country have Ubah, I wanna stay to help to rebuild my country, I love my country anyway)

I have also settled down in my new house for about 3 years now. My dad pass away 2 years back but now things have been stabilized. I am still single. Currently I am in a considerable "Stable" mode.

Anyway, sad to say, I am still extremely draggy every morning to go to work. I hate to admit it, but after 5 years joining the club, despite all aspect in my life have somehow advanced, I still don't feel great. I understand that still, business IT is still not my cup of tea, and not my destiny. I hate to admit, that I have a good IT career, which I do not like, which just build passively through other's expectation on me. I however still failed to switch into something that motivates me daily, something that allow me to proactively persuit, without keep pressing that snooze button every morning. I am still failed to understand, what motivates me in my life in terms of earning a living. (Excluding hobbies which are unrealistic to make a living out of it)

I do self reflect from time to time, and I am sure I am the root cause, not my job, or people, or life.

I somehow did not work hard enough for seeking my destiny, or work towards any sort of transformation. I also do not work hard enough to love what I am currently doing now, and take it as granted. I was wrong in the pass by doing so. Age is always our best mentor, and will constantly reminds you about it's time to move on etc. 3 weeks ago I camped myself at PD spending some lone time for a few days, and it managed to revived my heart of change and I realized I should not continue like that, and should work my self out of this rat race.

I believe financial commitment is most challenging obstacle for someone at 30s to make a change. So this is the first thing I would need to deal with. I will give myself 2 years to accumulate enough wealth. I notice I am pretty good in analyzing so after considering all the options, I decided I should revive my passion on Stock/trading again (was started 2008 but stops somewhere around 2010 to pursuit my photography passion, or maybe just an excuse to escape). I have subscribe into proper investment course which will be starting on July. I also started to stock analysing after work/weekend. I just hope by doing so, along with proper spending/saving plan, I would have accumulated enough investment capital, and savings for at least 1 year of survival without job. I may also revive my photography stuff (well, nowadays Malaysia trend is reviving old stuff, like Learn from Japan, Proton v2.0, Mahatir, Anwar and Kuli...lol), or some other online business. But currently stock is still my priority and I should not really trying to cross multiple bridges at once.

By then, I can realistically talk about quitting my IT career, after 15 years. I do not want to repeat the same old story when I reached my 40s. Don't tell me about KFC uncle or Grandma Moses, those are 1 out of billion, unrealistic.

When I grew from my early 30s to now old uncle 30s, I have realized that we need to set a simple yet realistic plan, commit into it for long term, then things will slowly work out. Ever since my dad pass away, I have realized that I should start prioritizing health on top of my list. I have commit into running since early last year and have averagely run about 25-30km a week till now. It really boost my health and stamina a lot. It has again taught me that setting big goals, break it down into small goals, stay consistence in executing them are the keys of major success.

Also another key to be able to achieve something different in life, is to constantly try different approach. I have started to try different things in the pass 2 years and able to get some different results in various aspects of my life. Now is time to really focus on my career switch, for the next 2 years. Actually I am not sure if this is consider a "career switch", and I actually just aim to be able to work for my own life, decide my own destiny, be flexible and have more time, sufficient income for me and my love ones, and stop being employed and doing things that do not interest me while helping my boss to achieve his own dream, I wanna dedicate all of my time to build mine.

Of course, realistically speaking, through out this period, I will still need to stick with my current job. I actually do not feels like changing job and wish to make this the last job of my life before I quitting the workforce. So another homework for me is to learn to love my job...I am pretty bad in this as I have failed to find an effective way in my past 15 years.....I do not know how can I survive that far with my current attitude...Even my peers sometimes have great comments on me, I know I am not contribute at my best form. Any tips from fellow ktart?

I hope the next time I revisit the club for any major updates, will be the time that I have somehow achieve another major milestone in these areas.
So now is year 2022.

What are you doing now ?
BlurGuy1992
post May 18 2022, 06:36 PM

Getting Started
254 posts

QUOTE(Pinangkid @ May 18 2022, 02:55 PM)
1. how long your saving can last you?
2. i think getting a new job is not that hard if your request salary is within the market offer.
i have quit all my previous jobs wihout a job. getting a new job is not that hard. but it is just like jumping from 1 hole to another hole.
Don't have much commitment, can last 1year most.
I'm still considering myself quite fresh tho, even I'm almost 30 and I'm just wanting 3k and slowly build up my profile and skill. Accounting background, but was so burn out and wanted to change field.😞
Pinangkid
post May 19 2022, 04:16 PM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(BlurGuy1992 @ May 18 2022, 06:36 PM)
Don't have much commitment, can last 1year most.
I'm still considering myself quite fresh tho, even I'm almost 30 and I'm just wanting 3k and slowly build up my profile and skill. Accounting background, but was so burn out and wanted to change field.😞
since you have no financial issue, then you can quit and then slowly find the job,
i do not know about the accounting job market.
generally i assume, employer dont like jobless interviewee.
so best advise id you you work and find new job at the same time.
Raddus
post May 19 2022, 08:50 PM

Getting Started
205 posts

Has anyone faced similar as me, few years ago back in 2019 quit my job in a fairly large Malaysian media company doing video production but the work was crazy and I had lost my passion there. Always felt like fish out of water at times but after quitting I somehow miss the company but I didn't feel I would have any good career progression as eventually most of the people I worked with there also quit and moved to other companies. Not to mention that company also let several staff go due to cost cutting. Felt like I would eventually get let go as well so I decided to quit to study degree multimedia since my parents were fine to help support it. but I now felt like it was a really bad desicion and wasted my time studying the degree as it was during the covid period, everything online and not like what I expected, like meeting people and networking.

Now it's like I'm back to square one and my previous job doesn't really align to my degree. There is the awkward situation where I'm supposed to be expericed but I feel like I'm a fresh grad but much older than other fresh grads.

My aim is to get into the UI/UX design field in tech but feel like there is still so much I need to learn, feeling like companies will question why is there a job gap in 2022. I'm wondering if using this year to study UX is the best way or I should be working whatever job I get first

Studied diploma 3 years - worked full time 2 years - quit job study degree 2 years (credit transfer from diploma to degree allowing me to study 2 years for the degree)after finishing the degree last year took a break for few months this year and included some self study in UX design but I'm feeling like I'm taking too long away from work. It's going to be 5 to 6 years of no work experience except for study in my 20s, whole I read some have been working since they grad at 22/23.

I feel like my kind of career and education flow appears messy in the recruiter eyes compared to others that just continue working steadily.
I'm 26 btw

This post has been edited by Raddus: May 19 2022, 11:30 PM
RigerZ
post May 29 2022, 05:45 PM

On the way on the way
953 posts

I studied diploma in automotive technology (out of pure interest in cars) and started work at 21 y.o right after graduating.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

So how about my job search?

No vacancies available back at company #2, nor any similar vacancies elsewhere
I would not want to go back to company #3 or even to the same job.
No response from company #4 even till today when I occasionally try to touch base. Have sent vacancy enquiries to other similar companies but no replies

Up to this point I've only ever been interested in the automotive industry. Not law, IT, accounts, finance, or any other mainstream fields. So asking me to go back to studying another course (which I wouldnt have the interest) for the career change.... I dont think its going to work out.

What I have discovered about myself along the years are:
1. Good writing skills (especially in writing technical related emails/letters to internal/external customers)
2. Attracted to investigative/research tasks, BUT not keen on frequent travelling or working on holidays/off days

With a niche qualification, my admittedly narrow preferences and a weak third language, I do feel like I'm facing a big roadblock in looking for a career change.

Fingers crossed something unexpectedly promising appears for myself and everyone else who is struggling ❤️

This post has been edited by RigerZ: May 29 2022, 05:50 PM
TryingToSurvive
post Jun 25 2022, 03:36 AM

Casual
330 posts

Just sharing my story,
Back during studying did not care much to study
Basically I barely passed everything.
From spm,stpm,uni all was barely pass
2.0 cgpa kinda barely pass
At that time was feeling like all hope was lost.
Everyday was a daunting task to find a job as a fresh grad with extremely bad results.
Every form I filled for interview when filling out my results it would always start with 2.xx
Somehow found my first job was extremely grateful for the opportunity.
Worked extremely hard, was first in the office, last out of office.
Always took more than I could chew
Failed multiple times but always took feedback and improved.
Fast forward 7 years, earning 13k+ with a home and starting a family.

If you asked me back then, I would say no way I would imagine myself here.

All I can say is life is surprising. Don't give up even when the future is bleak. As long as you drag yourself out of bed and do something everyday you will get there soon enough.

22 Pages « < 20 21 22Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0201sec    1.05    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:29 PM