Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Lee Kuan Yew grandson true blue banana Chinese, LKY grandson's english is powderful

views

klein
post Jul 22 2013, 10:58 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(rendezvouss @ Jul 22 2013, 08:32 PM)
O'Harry's grandson's english is powderful. Sexy Queen's english. But then again, All I could hear is like a bunch of gibberish language biggrin.gif

inb4 No to Lee Dynasty.

i can actually understand. In fact, try watching other debate videos of his. Very impressive. He was also a top debater, ranked 1st or 2nd that year in world's ranking so u ktards dont play play
klein
post Jul 22 2013, 11:02 PM

Casual
310 posts

U all r plain butthurt. I challenge u all to post up ur video n let everyone judges how good u are
klein
post Jul 22 2013, 11:05 PM

Casual
310 posts

He dared to speak in front bunch of audiences, debated against angmohs and defeated those angmohs to be ranked 1st or 2nd best speaker in the world, so far not many asians had gone that far
klein
post Jul 22 2013, 11:08 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(vandar59 @ Jul 22 2013, 11:06 PM)
is he talking to brits or singaporeans?
he was in a world's debate tournament grand finals, talking to audiences coming all over the world and he was the only asian representative..
klein
post Jul 23 2013, 06:08 AM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(jonoave @ Jul 23 2013, 02:23 AM)
That depends on the context. Debaters are limited by time (7-8 minutes) and you only get 1 chance to deliver your speech. That's why most often it is jam packed with information and the speed of speech is quite fast.
It is like writing an essay vs summary. Writing a summary can be much harder if you have to keep within the constrains of the maximum word limit while trying to make sure you don't miss out on the important stuff.

If it's fine if you don't like that style of speaking, I just don't see what that has got to do between speech and elocution.
Worse is when you meet the indian debaters (doesnt matter those from India, singapore or Malaysia). Some of them speak with really thick accent, they talk super duper fast and they have really aggressive manner.

So adjudicators and debaters in general are used to faster-than-usual speed rate due to time constraint. Actually, it doesnt matter how fast or how slow one speaks, its where we pause that matters.

This post has been edited by klein: Jul 23 2013, 06:10 AM
klein
post Jul 23 2013, 05:26 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(jonoave @ Jul 23 2013, 06:22 AM)
I beg to disagree. Most Indians from Malaysia and Singapore that I've seen in debating, has decent to good English. With accents that we're quite accustomed to.

The ones from India are usually the ones with thick accents. Thing is, a lot of indian debaters from Singapore teams (e.g. NUS, NTU etc) are actually from India and not local, thus they have the thick accent. tongue.gif
My bad. I didnt make it clear but ya, I agree that we are quite accustomed to those Indians from Malaysia and Singapore. And I am well aware that many of those representing NUS, NTU etc are not locals, but "imported" from India. I have been to few tournaments where it was kinda ironic to watch those Indians winning the tournaments while representing NUS etc whereby their countrymen watched in silence, with no cheers.

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0172sec    0.60    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:43 PM