Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Lee Kuan Yew grandson true blue banana Chinese, LKY grandson's english is powderful

views

jonoave
post Jul 23 2013, 01:55 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(rendezvouss @ Jul 22 2013, 03:32 PM)
O'Harry's grandson's english is powderful. Sexy Queen's english. But then again, All I could hear is like a bunch of gibberish language biggrin.gif

inb4 No to Lee Dynasty.

If you got to debate tournaments often, this is quite common sight. We have speakers like that back, usually from Singapore, Philippines as well as in our own backyard.

I don't claim to be as fluent as him (I get a bit nervous so I can go quite fast sometimes lacking good enunciation). But really, I'd say he sounds good but he's definitely not one in a million among Asian debaters.

Btw, his speech sounds quite clear to me. smile.gif

This post has been edited by jonoave: Jul 23 2013, 02:02 AM
jonoave
post Jul 23 2013, 02:01 AM

Casual

QUOTE(Love6 @ Jul 22 2013, 08:57 PM)
Speech isn't debate and you won't expect Obama to speak in Singlish and in hurried pace, do you  laugh.gif
rclxub.gif

The video posted by TS was from a debate? I don't get your point.
jonoave
post Jul 23 2013, 02:07 AM

Casual

QUOTE(Love6 @ Jul 22 2013, 09:04 PM)
A good speaker is not the same with being a good debater.
I am just refuting the fact that some pipul can equate good debater with a good speaker.
What the? I think you're confusing me with other posters..

i'm just replying to TS who admires his proficiency and fluency in English. To which i say, this is quite a common sight if you go to debate competitions.

I never mentioned anything about elocution and debating.
jonoave
post Jul 23 2013, 02:23 AM

Casual

QUOTE(Love6 @ Jul 22 2013, 09:16 PM)
It's a possibility of the confusion but I didn't really like way a debater speaks like a rapid fire gun and bearing an annoying Singapork slang. Matter of preference, really. Let the old speak calmly with a pace and clarity. Not a hushed up youngling with young enthusiasm.
That depends on the context. Debaters are limited by time (7-8 minutes) and you only get 1 chance to deliver your speech. That's why most often it is jam packed with information and the speed of speech is quite fast.
It is like writing an essay vs summary. Writing a summary can be much harder if you have to keep within the constrains of the maximum word limit while trying to make sure you don't miss out on the important stuff.

If it's fine if you don't like that style of speaking, I just don't see what that has got to do between speech and elocution.

This post has been edited by jonoave: Jul 23 2013, 02:24 AM
jonoave
post Jul 23 2013, 06:22 AM

Casual

QUOTE(klein @ Jul 23 2013, 01:08 AM)
Worse is when you meet the indian debaters (doesnt matter those from India, singapore or Malaysia). Some of them speak with really thick accent, they talk super duper fast and they have really aggressive manner.

So adjudicators and debaters in general are used to faster-than-usual speed rate due to time constraint. Actually, it doesnt matter how fast or how slow one speaks, its where we pause that matters.
I beg to disagree. Most Indians from Malaysia and Singapore that I've seen in debating, has decent to good English. With accents that we're quite accustomed to.

The ones from India are usually the ones with thick accents. Thing is, a lot of indian debaters from Singapore teams (e.g. NUS, NTU etc) are actually from India and not local, thus they have the thick accent. tongue.gif

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0771sec    3.22    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th July 2019 - 02:27 PM