9 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Linux certification, Need info

views

zeroglyph
post Jun 21 2013, 11:35 AM

woot!!! senior member now?
1,254 posts

QUOTE(ZoidbergFry @ Jun 21 2013, 11:01 AM)
i guess i finaly know why my company paid for me..so they can label "we have qualified engineers" ... =.=
when a company pays for your certs, that's the most obvious reason(especially SI company) laugh.gif .

then they can easily get some projects using your name and cert icon_idea.gif . you of course will only get your salary blink.gif . which is why they say, a CCIE "can pat shoulders with the CEO". doh.gif
ZoidbergFry
post Jun 21 2013, 12:41 PM

On my way
518 posts

QUOTE(zeroglyph @ Jun 21 2013, 11:35 AM)
when a company pays for your certs, that's the most obvious reason(especially SI company)  laugh.gif .

then they can easily get some projects using your name and cert  icon_idea.gif . you of course will only get your salary  blink.gif  . which is why they say, a CCIE "can pat shoulders with the CEO".  doh.gif
but we who got the certs dun even get to see the CEOs...but our names indeed keep poping up in projects.. sad.gif
kevler
post Jun 21 2013, 02:56 PM

trading in the zone
2,892 posts

Attached File  05_RHCSA___Take_until_you_pass__public__01_Copy.pdf ( 527.05k ) Number of downloads: 269

i went to Iverson workshop on Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV) yesterday and the training center gave me this .

i think this is a good opportunity for us to certified RHCSA and can retake the exam , unlimited , if fail for the first time
zeroglyph
post Jun 21 2013, 03:03 PM

1,254 posts

QUOTE(kevler @ Jun 21 2013, 02:56 PM)
Attached File  05_RHCSA___Take_until_you_pass__public__01_Copy.pdf ( 527.05k ) Number of downloads: 269

i went to Iverson workshop on Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV) yesterday and the training center gave me this .

i think this is a good opportunity for us to certified RHCSA and can retake the exam , unlimited , if fail for the first time
wow rhcsa(formerly rhct) really have different syllabus(2 weeks course). blink.gif wonder if the exam is still the same.
zeroglyph
post Jun 21 2013, 03:05 PM

1,254 posts

QUOTE(ZoidbergFry @ Jun 21 2013, 12:41 PM)
but we who got the certs dun even get to see the CEOs...but our names indeed keep poping up in projects.. sad.gif
that's because RHCE is no where near CCIE. try getting an RHCA, then the CEO will definitely invite you for coffee. thumbup.gif
TSpetirbuas
post Jun 21 2013, 04:48 PM

( 。◕ ‿‿ ◕。)
888 posts

toa cheng
Update
I manage to speak with Prestariang Cyberjaya representative and here's the information flex.gif

They do provide test/exam center for all kind of IT certificate as long as we can register through Pearson Vue or Prometric. Registration and payment process is the same as Iverson, which mean all prices are standardized and we need to register and schedule an exam from Pearson Vue or Prometric website(make sure to choose Prestariang as test center).

This means all Comptia, Red Hat, LIPC and pretty much other known IT cert is available at Prestariang and Iverson.
ZoidbergFry
post Jun 24 2013, 10:04 AM

On my way
518 posts

QUOTE(zeroglyph @ Jun 21 2013, 03:05 PM)
that's because RHCE is no where near CCIE. try getting an RHCA, then the CEO will definitely invite you for coffee.  thumbup.gif
tried asking around my company and they say budget cuts..cant take the course... sad.gif
zeroglyph
post Jun 24 2013, 10:32 AM

1,254 posts

QUOTE(ZoidbergFry @ Jun 24 2013, 10:04 AM)
tried asking around my company and they say budget cuts..cant take the course... sad.gif
RHCA is expensive. most people with it ends up working with redhat brows.gif . guaranteed 5 figure though blink.gif .
ZoidbergFry
post Jun 24 2013, 10:34 AM

On my way
518 posts

QUOTE(zeroglyph @ Jun 24 2013, 10:32 AM)
RHCA is expensive. most people with it ends up working with redhat  brows.gif . guaranteed 5 figure though  blink.gif .
dafaq!!! wow...gona get it myself then..muahahaha..u have 1? smile.gif
zeroglyph
post Jun 24 2013, 11:33 AM

1,254 posts

QUOTE(ZoidbergFry @ Jun 24 2013, 10:34 AM)
dafaq!!! wow...gona get it myself then..muahahaha..u have 1? smile.gif
obviously no blush.gif . if i recall you'd need, RHCE + 3 certificate of expertise(from redhat) and then you can try for an RHCA, which is nowhere near an RHCE test. I've talked about it some years ago with redhat personnel(about the test environment). pretty nasty exam. decided i'm not worthy sweat.gif .

it's worth it if you're into redhat though. very few RHCA in Malaysia(if any), because the test is not conducted here. even RHCE numbers is only a few hundreds in Malaysia.

This post has been edited by zeroglyph: Jun 24 2013, 11:37 AM
ZoidbergFry
post Jun 24 2013, 11:41 AM

On my way
518 posts

QUOTE(zeroglyph @ Jun 24 2013, 11:33 AM)
obviously no  blush.gif . if i recall you'd need, RHCE + 3 certificate of expertise(from redhat) and then you can try for an RHCA, which is nowhere near an RHCE test. I've talked about it some years ago with redhat personnel(about the test environment). pretty nasty exam. decided i'm not worthy  sweat.gif .

it's worth it if you're into redhat though. very few RHCA in Malaysia(if any), because the test is not conducted here. even RHCE numbers is only a few hundreds in Malaysia.
Yeah,i also just called them up myself..omg the procedures alone..nah..screw it..not gona waste my time tongue.gif
MalaysiaCarPlate
post Jun 24 2013, 02:48 PM

Getting Started
116 posts

experience is better than cert, in my view.
zeroglyph
post Jun 24 2013, 03:17 PM

1,254 posts

QUOTE(MalaysiaCarPlate @ Jun 24 2013, 02:48 PM)
experience is better than cert, in my view.
of course it is. but certs help you to get a good 1st impression. that slight difference between being called for an interview or not. especially amongst candidate with the same experience level. and it's pretty impressive when in an interview, the interviewer would say, "i'm not gonna ask you about linux, since you're RHCE". brows.gif (true story)

plus, cert helps to justify your salary demands too. this includes educational and professional certs.
MalaysiaCarPlate
post Jun 24 2013, 03:21 PM

Getting Started
116 posts

person one:
have tons of cert, have very or no experience.

person two:
have no cert or very little but have tons of experience. those project done by him have been recorded down and received testimonial from partnering company.

Who will you hire? wink.gif
zeroglyph
post Jun 24 2013, 03:36 PM

1,254 posts

QUOTE(MalaysiaCarPlate @ Jun 24 2013, 03:21 PM)
person one:
have tons of cert, have very or no experience.

person two:
have no cert or very little but have tons of experience. those project done by him have been recorded down and received testimonial from partnering company.

Who will you hire? wink.gif
here's your answer:
QUOTE(zeroglyph @ Jun 24 2013, 03:17 PM)
...especially amongst candidate with the same experience level...
your comparison is like comparing a fresh grad with a 10 years admin. not quite reasonable now, is it?
ZoidbergFry
post Jun 25 2013, 11:09 AM

On my way
518 posts

QUOTE(zeroglyph @ Jun 24 2013, 03:36 PM)
here's your answer:
your comparison is like comparing a fresh grad with a 10 years admin. not quite reasonable now, is it?
agree with you, i do...plus getting the certs itself requires experiences and who knows..u can kinda pick a thing or two while studying for those certs..and i shit u not..some of the things are kinda deep... smile.gif
cobra90
post Jun 30 2013, 02:57 PM

9 posts

hi im a degree studnt in IT security major, soon to be graduating. im just curious to know whats the value or any perks of having certs in linux as a fresh grad? (when im finish). And as far as i knw, US based companies uses RedHat and Europe Based companies uses OpenSUSE, correct me if im wrong. Just seeking for some advice, extra knowledge and suggestion here. Thanks smile.gif
zeroglyph
post Jul 1 2013, 09:31 AM

1,254 posts

QUOTE(cobra90 @ Jun 30 2013, 02:57 PM)
hi im a degree studnt in IT security major, soon to be graduating. im just curious to know whats the value or any perks of having certs in linux as a fresh grad? (when im finish). And as far as i knw, US based companies uses RedHat and Europe Based companies uses OpenSUSE, correct me if im wrong. Just seeking for some advice, extra knowledge and suggestion here. Thanks smile.gif
bold statement is a commom misconception. it's common to see it like that, but not really true. redhat is a US based company, so naturally it's easier to get support if you're also from the US. but still, both linux are used in either places.

most important perks of certs? better starting salary and better chances for interviews. but do note, even a a 5years linux admin would have little chance to get an RHCE on the 1st try shocking.gif . so as mentioned before, getting certified also requires some degree of experience.

my advise, try not worry too much about certifications in the time being. get some experience by doing small scale experiments on your own. once you get a job, then you can ask the company to pay for the certs. laugh.gif
UbuntuClient
post Jul 1 2013, 09:59 AM

Regular
1,216 posts

Check with Iverson. They have a lot of training. I just on the way to take RHCA.
zeroglyph
post Jul 1 2013, 10:35 AM

1,254 posts

QUOTE(UbuntuClient @ Jul 1 2013, 09:59 AM)
Check with Iverson. They have a lot of training. I just on the way to take RHCA.
err....you sure? RHCA? i would've imagined an RHCE won't have much trouble with LVM or iptables configurations. blink.gif

(RHCE+3 certificate of expertise is required for RHCA.)

9 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0467sec    2.16    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 26th February 2020 - 12:31 AM