Recommend Over Ear Headphones, First Time Buyer

views

TSLightningFist
post Jun 1 2013, 06:28 PM, updated 11y ago

Minion of the Damned
Group Icon
VIP
3,965 posts

I've never owned over-ear headphones, looking for a pair now, for home and personal use.

Most important are

(i) Comfort (ii) Sound quality (iii) Noise isolation

while I don't want wireless or active noise cancelling (anything that needs batteries/charging).

Within budget of RM300-RM700

Some that caught my eye are

Audio Technica ATH M50

AKG K 240 MK II

Going to check some out at the airport (overseas) when I stop by, if can test I would probably just test whatever then buy.

Anything to look out for in case they don't have testing? I figure buying here in Australia is cheaper than in KL
Calebraj
post Jun 1 2013, 06:42 PM

Casual
452 posts

QUOTE(LightningFist @ Jun 1 2013, 06:28 PM)
I've never owned over-ear headphones, looking for a pair now, for home and personal use.

Most important are

(i) Comfort  (ii) Sound quality  (iii) Noise isolation

while I don't want wireless or active noise cancelling (anything that needs batteries/charging).

Within budget of RM300-RM700

Some that caught my eye are

Audio Technica ATH M50

AKG K 240 MK II

Going to check some out at the airport (overseas) when I stop by, if can test I would probably just test whatever then buy.

Anything to look out for in case they don't have testing? I figure buying here in Australia is cheaper than in KL
You might want to consider the IEMs. tongue.gif
TSLightningFist
post Jun 1 2013, 06:59 PM

Minion of the Damned
Group Icon
VIP
3,965 posts

QUOTE(Calebraj @ Jun 1 2013, 06:42 PM)
You might want to consider the IEMs.  tongue.gif
I have Soundsticks II for powerful sound when I need it, and a relatively cheap pair of Ultimate Ears earphones.

Over time the earphones have become really uncomfortable, and they really can't do much to block sound unless you turn the volume way up.

Whereas I think good headphones may be good for isolating noise.

Comfy headphones for when I am feeling disturbed by outside noise would be great.
noobandroid
post Jun 1 2013, 07:22 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(LightningFist @ Jun 1 2013, 06:59 PM)
I have Soundsticks II for powerful sound when I need it, and a relatively cheap pair of Ultimate Ears earphones.

Over time the earphones have become really uncomfortable, and they really can't do much to block sound unless you turn the volume way up.

Whereas I think good headphones may be good for isolating noise.

Comfy headphones for when I am feeling disturbed by outside noise would be great.
we have a recommendation thread up there, so close / delete this and follow format, write it up and they will attend to you
RihhanaNZ
post Jun 20 2013, 03:44 PM

5 posts

Why not consider buying Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D headphones? I bought it just for $99. Pleased with sound clarity and comfort. Have a look at this link for more recommendations.

This post has been edited by RihhanaNZ: Jun 20 2013, 03:49 PM
discretesound
post Jun 20 2013, 03:52 PM

Getting Started
272 posts

If you stop by Melbourne Australia make sure to check out Addicted to Audio shop. you can try plenty of headphones there and most likely find the one you really like.
And make sure to claim GST refund smile.gif
TSLightningFist
post Jun 20 2013, 07:04 PM

Minion of the Damned
Group Icon
VIP
3,965 posts

QUOTE(discretesound @ Jun 20 2013, 03:52 PM)
If you stop by Melbourne Australia make sure to check out Addicted to Audio shop. you can try plenty of headphones there and most likely find the one you really like.
And make sure to claim GST refund smile.gif
out of curiosity how to claim GST refund, does it work for students here?

I actually passed by Melb and was right in front of Jaben audio! Didn't go in because I wasn't after headphones back then. That was a couple months back.

All good though, I ended up buying beyerdynamic Custom on amazon for a couple dollars over 200, just got them today.

But I did buy stuff online from A2A
discretesound
post Jun 20 2013, 08:35 PM

Getting Started
272 posts

QUOTE(LightningFist @ Jun 20 2013, 07:04 PM)
out of curiosity how to claim GST refund, does it work for students here?

I actually passed by Melb and was right in front of Jaben audio! Didn't go in because I wasn't after headphones back then. That was a couple months back.

All good though, I ended up buying beyerdynamic Custom on amazon for a couple dollars over 200, just got them today.

But I did buy stuff online from A2A
According to Oz customs it is open to visitors and ozy residents. I remember just need to request tax invoice from the seller and there is a minimum amount required before you can claim (300?).
At the airport just go to the TRS booth and show them the item in the packaging, invoice and your passport.

very simple actually.
TSLightningFist
post Jun 20 2013, 09:05 PM

Minion of the Damned
Group Icon
VIP
3,965 posts

QUOTE(discretesound @ Jun 20 2013, 08:35 PM)
According to Oz customs it is open to visitors and ozy residents. I remember just need to request tax invoice from the seller and there is a minimum amount required before you can claim (300?).
At the airport just go to the TRS booth and show them the item in the packaging, invoice and your passport.

very simple actually.
hmm that sounds counterintuitive, aren't aus residents supposed to pay gst
discretesound
post Jun 21 2013, 08:24 AM

Getting Started
272 posts

QUOTE(LightningFist @ Jun 20 2013, 09:05 PM)
hmm that sounds counterintuitive, aren't aus residents supposed to pay gst
Not to sure on that. I am only a visitor biggrin.gif . but in NZ i can claim refund as a student.
How is the Beyer Custom One? it looks interesting
TSLightningFist
post Jun 21 2013, 10:33 AM

Minion of the Damned
Group Icon
VIP
3,965 posts

QUOTE(discretesound @ Jun 21 2013, 08:24 AM)
Not to sure on that. I am only a visitor  biggrin.gif . but in NZ i can claim refund as a student.
How is the  Beyer Custom One? it looks interesting
bass is not pumping. it's more like a balanced output, than an electro/dance one.

but it's fine cos i have proper speakers, and no headphone can replace a proper subwoofer.

overall it's pretty good but i haven't used many earphones/headphones before

it doesn't sound hollow like some cheap headphones do but yeah the bass is not super powerful

i also dont feel much difference with the bass switch but i dont use loud volumes

it's light, not as bulky as i thought it might be

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0143sec    0.39    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:24 PM