Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Anybody uses Philips Airfryer

views

Chigme
post Jun 11 2014, 10:00 PM

Enthusiast
700 posts

QUOTE(plumberly @ Jun 11 2014, 04:13 PM)
Thinking of getting an air fryer. Saw the video on Buffalo air fryer. Looks good. Like to have feedback from those using one, any brand will do.

My concern is the reliability, breaking down after a year of use?

Thanks.
Phillips Air Fryer after 2 years still going strong.
plumberly
post Jun 11 2014, 10:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(Chigme @ Jun 11 2014, 10:00 PM)
Phillips Air Fryer after 2 years still going strong.
Thanks.

Buffalo fryer looks impressive with what it can do.

a. What are the food you have cooked using Philip fryer? Just want to get some idea on its versatility. Food tastes nice?

b. From your experience, what is the best thing about this fryer? What is the worst thing about this fryer?

c. What is the fryer model you are having? Cost?

Many thanks.

Chigme
post Jun 11 2014, 11:08 PM

Enthusiast
700 posts

QUOTE(plumberly @ Jun 11 2014, 10:16 PM)
Thanks.

Buffalo fryer looks impressive with what it can do.

a. What are the food you have cooked using Philip fryer? Just want to get some idea on its versatility. Food tastes nice?
Usually fried chicken. It tasted much better than chicken fried in oil . But french fries so so only. Can use to heat curry puff/pies.
b. From your experience, what is the best thing about this fryer? What is the worst thing about this fryer?
Healthy , food taste good if not better. Cons: The fryer box is smaller compared to wok, so you may have to cook two rounds if you got big portion of food to fry.
c.  What is the fryer model you are having? Cost?
Phillips only got one model, in black or white. Spore $269. Here during promo sells at RM900.
Many thanks.
plumberly
post Jun 12 2014, 09:08 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(Chigme @ Jun 11 2014, 11:08 PM)

Noted and many thanks!
ahsia80
post Jun 12 2014, 09:14 AM

Enthusiast
989 posts

IRCC there's 2 variant...the normal and XL type which can accomodate more let's say more chicken wings per session...

For me, it's good for reheating fried stuff without using more oil..smile.gif
Not that hard to clean either...
Taste is so so....for sure there's a difference between one spoon of oil vs half a bottle of cooking oil....tongue.gif
fnm83
post Apr 9 2015, 11:35 AM

Getting Started
287 posts

Found many brands of Air Fryer and the price are relatively half than Philips'.
Does all those able to bake cake, bread just like Philips Air Fryer?
Anyone buy other brand than Philips here?
I am eyeing on Elba and Butterfly Air Fryer biggrin.gif
Dohc
post Apr 23 2015, 08:35 PM

Getting Started
69 posts

tefal good?
goldfries
post Apr 24 2015, 12:48 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

tried it last year http://www.buurps.com/2014/07/tefal-actifry-snacking-review/

the good - wide space (compared to Philips)
the bad - no timer (it has a counter but it does not power down the device when the timer is up)
the bad - no temperature control.

thingamagic
post Apr 25 2015, 11:22 AM

Getting Started
83 posts

Air fryer is like hairdryer...hearing coil and a fan.

Works for dry stuff. If got wet batter and sauce, messy cleanup of the mesh/grill

Can never beat the oil frying taste
davidmilleerr
post Feb 12 2018, 10:28 PM

0 posts

does anyone here familiar with the philips air fryer?? i was willing to buy phillips air fryer please if someone has an experience with it tell me is it really worth it?? how much power usage it requires?? will it consume lots of energy? and does the fired products i.e. french fries taste good??
Hevlaska
post Mar 1 2018, 05:24 PM

Casual
366 posts

Despite being called air "FRYER", they don't actually "fry" to a deep fry effect. To put it bluntly, air frying is just high powered oven with fan that regulates air pressure in a contained space. You will never achieve the crisp/flavor of oil frying. Period. Due to heating done with hot air, the food you intend to fry will not be evenly exposed to the heat, surface with jagged/sharp edges gets exposed to more heat and can burn easier, example, for fries, your edges will be significantly darker than other surface.

That said, it is a healthy substitute to oil deep-frying and the closest thing that can be done oil-free.

One advise is, if you are planning to fry battered item, replace regular flour with cake/baking flour or add in some rising agent. Replace water with fizzy stuff like beer or soda water. It helps raises the batter better to emulate the crisp and texture of oil fried stuff. But as mentioned by another forumer, cleaning up after frying battered stuff is a pain indeed.

I was using a DeLonghi FH1163 for all above as a reference. Its a rather costly one and i doubt cheaper air fryer can achieve better result. Its been untouched in my store-room for over a year now.

In conclusion, i would rather invest in a better ventilated oven where it can be more versatile, larger space, easier to clean and still achieve a similar result.

Alternatively, you can opt to fry healthier with healthier oil such as canola, extra light olive oil, peanut oil, soy oil etc with low unsaturated fats and proper frying techniques. And invest in a cooking thermometer. With proper temperature, you can ensure that the food you fry absorbs minimal oil. Dunking food in non optimal temperature oil can make it absorb more oil needlessly while overheated oil will burn the surface while internal temps is not enough to cook thoroughly.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    0.09    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:27 AM