Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Klang River, - Issues, Management & Restoration

views

TSTiger I
post May 16 2013, 11:37 PM, updated 11y ago

Getting Started
210 posts

Sekadar berkongsi. Suddenly the urge of becoming an eco warrior has come back to me malam-malam buta ni :/ BTW, don't ask me on the terms and whatnot, sebab most dah tak ingat sangat dah. Nyanyuk LOL. That, or most of what I want to say, I didn't put in here because I encourage the audience to ask more. Sadly, I misplaced the notes for the answer for just-in-case questions. References, kalau rajin, I put in later kay.

Well, this was done by me back when I was sitting in a class of Advanced Aquatic Ecosystem. Feel free to read through and comment on the current issue. As a KL-ites, Klang River, although resembles more like teh tarik than an actual river seen in media, is still a river to me. Do note that this was done for class presentation, so kalau ada yang salah tu, maaf sweat.gif

Roles of River
- Water supply
- Irrigation
- Power generation
- Habitat for flora and fauna
- Recreation
- Transport
- Source of food and income
- Religious functions
- Historical site

Rivers in Malaysia
- Malaysia is blessed with rivers, totaling up to 189 rivers, that are divided of:
* Peninsular Malaysia: 89
* Sarawak: 22
* Sabah: 78

- All of these are of 57, 300 km in length.
- Rivers provide up to 97% of all water use in Malaysia, and the demand for domestic water supply is increasing steadily year by year.
Department of Irrigation and Drainage Malaysia (2006)

Rivers of Selangor
user posted image

Klang River
- With total area of 1,278 km2, this 120 km long river from Main Range (upper basin) that meanders to south-west passing through Kuala Lumpur and discharge into Straits of Malacca. Average discharge rate is around 50 m3/s.
- Klang River basin falls into two administrations, namely the Federal Territory and the States of Selangor.
- Sections:
* Upper section: Ampang Jaya, Ulu Langat, Gombak
* Middle section: Kuala Lumpur
* Lower section: Petaling Jaya, Subang Jaya, Shah Alam, Kelang

- It is joined by 11 major tributaries. These include Gombak River, Batu River, Kerayong River, Damansara River, Keruh River, Kuyoh River, Penchala River and Ampang River.
- The river's confluence with the Gombak River gave rise to the name of Kuala Lumpur (muddy estuary). It is also thought that Klang town is named after the river.
- Malaysia's biggest sea port, Port Klang, is also situated at the estuary of Klang River.
- Klang River was used to be called Sungai Seleh.

Convergence of Gombak River and Klang River in Kuala Lumpur
user posted image
- Klang Gates and Batu Dam were constructed in order to ensure continuous water supply and flood migitation purposes.
- Klang Gates capacity is 25,104 million liter. The Bukit Nanas water treatment plant takes raw water from this dam and produces 145 million liters treated water per day.
- The dam is the first reservoir in Malaysia (1958).
- As for Batu Dam, its holding capacity is 30,199 million liter. The Sungai Batu water treatment plant produces 114 million liter per day of treated water.
- Even so, development in Klang River basin has exceeded the carrying capacity of Klang River which is clearly reflected by the pollution of the river itself.
- Even Gombak River and Batu River tributaries are depleted of significant aquatic life.

Issues and problems
- Floods (after heavy rain falls due to impervious ground)
- Sedimentation and silts
- Garbage and trashes (Klang River are used more as drain)
- Deteriorating water quality
- Squatters
- Urbanization

Causes
- Encroachment of river (Dato’ Keramat area)
- Squatters
- Landfills (use of river area as elevated railways for LRT)
- Direct discharge
* Food outlets
* Wet markets
* Household waste
* Sewage

Flood Migitation
user posted image

Rubbish and trashes in Klang River
user posted image

Graffiti – Arts or vandalism?
user posted image

Implementation Issues
- Legislative and institutional issues:
* Regarding water: state government jurisdiction
* Fragmentation in the management: many institutions
* Some old laws are in need of reviews

- Enforcement:
* Coordinated approach by each state
* DID and DOE as advisor
* Fine and compound should be more strict

Solid Waste Management
- Between 500-800 tons entered river daily, but only 80 tons are removed by existing trapping and removal mechanism.
- In 2006, Alam Flora cleaned out around 50 000 tons of rubbish from Klang River.

DID worker cleaning Klang River
user posted image

Discharge
- Back in 1998, only 46% wastewater treatment plants comply to DOE discharge standards.
- In 2005, the expected results are 85% compliance to DOE standards.

Discharge into Klang River
user posted image
National Hydraulic Research Institute of Malaysia (NAHRIM) (2007)

Ways to reduce
- Construction, maintenance, desilting and beautification
- Relocation of squatters
- Rehabilitation of aquatic life
- Water pollution control
- Enforcement
- Construction of trash booms
- Rubbish removal
- River clean-up programs
- Public awareness
- Some solution involves tapping other river basin to supplement Klang Gates and Batu Dam intake sources.
- As for flood mitigation, the SMART (Stormwater Management and Road Tunnel) project structural measures was carried out but yet the results are quite unsatisfactory, to say the least.
- The state government of Selangor has gazetted the riverbank and no development can take place without its permission.

River Water Quality
- DOE established baselines in 1978 in detecting water quality changes in river and identifying the pollutant sources.
- This is done by collecting samples at regular intervals from designated stations for in-situ and laboratory analysis:
* Manual Water Quality Monitoring (MWQM):
~ 30 MWQM stations around Klang Valley
~ 4-12 times/year/station
* Continuous Water Quality Monitoring (CWQM):
~ 1 CWQM station at Klang River

- As recorded in the Malaysia Environmental Quality Reports of 2000, Water Quality Index (WQI) showed that water quality for Klang River and Gombak River is still polluted (WQI Class III 51.9-76.5) which requires extensive treatment.
- Nevertheless, studies done by Naji and Ismail (2011) showed that the result determined that none of studied metals (Cu and Pb) had high potential risk to fauna and flora of this area.

Statistic of Klang River in 2004
user posted image
Malaysia Environmental Quality Report 2004

Water Resource Management
- JBA:
* Water supply
- Department of Environment (DOE):
* Water quality
- Department of Drainage and Irrigation (DID):
* Water resource management and hydrology
* Flood management
* Eco-friendly drainage

- Alam Flora:
* Solid waste management

Urban Stormwater Management Manual
- In 2001 DID introduced a new approach in its Urban Stormwater Management Manual (Manual Saliran Mesra Alam Malaysia, or MSMA).
- The objective is controlling the quantity and quality of stormwater runoff.
- The concept essentially delays the time it takes for stormwater to reach streams. Stormwater is captured first and then gradually released, so there will be no sudden, excessive water flowing to downstream areas.

Retrofitting Works of Klang River
user posted image

Integrated Water Resource Management (IWRM)
- Promotes the coordinated development and management of water, land and related resources:
* To maximize the resultant economic and social welfare in an equitable manner
* Without compromising the sustainability of vital ecosystems

Integrated River Basin Management (IRBM)
- Coordinated management of resources in natural environment (air, water, land, flora) based on river basin as a geographical unit.
- Balancing man’s need with necessity of conserving resources to ensure their own sustainability.
- An integral part of IWRM:
* IRBM constitute the management unit
* IWRM provides the generic policy

Current use of IWRM
- Provides basic information
* Topography, delineation of river basin
* Flow path

- Analytical
* Identifying flood zones
* Identifying other strategic/critical features and processes

AECOM Project – River of Life

Sayangilah Sungai Kita :3

Blackops981
post May 16 2013, 11:39 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

ok
munak991
post May 16 2013, 11:41 PM

ZONIC!
2,732 posts

I feel Klang River, is beautiful river if manage properlly.

Just u know Malaysia people lack of Ethical thought ruined everything.
I really hate those people throw bottle out of the road from no where just to get rid of their rubbish in their car. Brainless people

Too bad our current Malaysian Mentallity is dated back 1945 where people just finish war and still having the anger of war
TSTiger I
post May 16 2013, 11:48 PM

Getting Started
210 posts

the mindset of tak apa need to be changed imo
'oh tak apa aku buang sampah ni esok ada cleaner kutip'
'tak apalah aku sorang je buat ni, orang lain takkan nak buat kan'

snowball effect, right?

i, at least, buang sampah i designated places, if going to river for recreation or visitation purpose, i make sure me and my peeps tak kotorkan sungai

janganlah sampai sudah terhantuk baru tengadah sad.gif
EarendurFefalas
post May 16 2013, 11:52 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

user posted image
wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
LiMi
post May 16 2013, 11:53 PM

Enthusiast
735 posts

wow, we have a Long report over here laugh.gif

Malaysians' behavior/mentality, I cannot tahan. Most are Not civilized, yet need branded goods to show off how classy they are (not).
makes the country all the worse
abcde90
post May 16 2013, 11:55 PM

Getting Started
183 posts

U r missing one point carwash liao...shampooo effluent into the river.
iconia17
post May 17 2013, 12:06 AM

8 posts

malaysian urban ppl mindset, meludah kluar kereta is the most annoying habit i ever encounter, buang sampah dalam longkang.
coldogno7
post May 17 2013, 12:12 AM

Getting Started
51 posts

Einjahr
post May 17 2013, 12:54 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(Tiger I @ May 16 2013, 11:37 PM)
Sekadar berkongsi. Suddenly the urge of becoming an eco warrior has come back to me malam-malam buta ni :/ BTW, don't ask me on the terms and whatnot, sebab most dah tak ingat sangat dah. Nyanyuk LOL. That, or most of what I want to say, I didn't put in here because I encourage the audience to ask more. Sadly, I misplaced the notes for the answer for just-in-case questions. References, kalau rajin, I put in later kay.

Sayangilah Sungai Kita :3

River conservation eh? well, that's quite a paper. Howabout learning from Singapore's river clean up project way back in the 70s ?
teknokrasi
post Jul 25 2013, 06:47 PM

Getting Started
213 posts

QUOTE(LiMi @ May 17 2013, 12:53 AM)
wow, we have a Long report over here laugh.gif

Malaysians' behavior/mentality, I cannot tahan. Most are Not civilized, yet need branded goods to show off how classy they are (not).
makes the country all the worse
Well said.
fuzzy
post Jul 25 2013, 06:49 PM

*pew pew pew*
6,659 posts

You have to change the mindset, else whatever system you change and implement also no point. People here can't even bother to throw their rubbish properly into the bin that is few cm away from where they are, you expect them to take care of an entire river ecosystem?
TSTiger I
post Jul 25 2013, 10:12 PM

Getting Started
210 posts

QUOTE(Einjahr @ May 17 2013, 12:54 AM)
River conservation eh? well, that's quite a paper. Howabout learning from Singapore's river clean up project way back in the 70s ?
oh that one i don't think i remember la. mind pointing me to the right direction, please?

QUOTE(fuzzy @ Jul 25 2013, 06:49 PM)
You have to change the mindset, else whatever system you change and implement also no point. People here can't even bother to throw their rubbish properly into the bin that is few cm away from where they are, you expect them to take care of an entire river ecosystem?
hence what i posted earlier back in May 16, 2013. mindset is hard to change since people are comfortable and ignorant regarding such, as long as things doesn't affect them directly, why bother?

this type of mentality. haih.
Einjahr
post Jul 26 2013, 12:42 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(Tiger I @ Jul 25 2013, 10:12 PM)
oh that one i don't think i remember la. mind pointing me to the right direction, please?
hence what i posted earlier back in May 16, 2013. mindset is hard to change since people are comfortable and ignorant regarding such, as long as things doesn't affect them directly, why bother?

this type of mentality. haih.
cannot start with mentality change, you need to use FORCE. I think thats the language that works best. Force squatters to leave, kick them out. Force eateries to comply with stringent regulations on environmental protection.

Its a carrot and stick method, but it works.
tropicanagolf
post Jul 26 2013, 12:54 AM

15 posts

I think Malaysian need to be forced, I've not known many people that know how to think about the consequences of their actions to the environment and often abuse freedom. Open burning by kampung and throwing rubbish by everyone really needs to stop
TSTiger I
post Jul 26 2013, 01:07 AM

Getting Started
210 posts

QUOTE(Einjahr @ Jul 26 2013, 12:42 AM)
cannot start with mentality change, you need to use FORCE. I think thats the language that works best. Force squatters to leave, kick them out. Force eateries to comply with stringent regulations on environmental protection.

Its a carrot and stick method, but it works.
QUOTE(tropicanagolf @ Jul 26 2013, 12:54 AM)
I think Malaysian need to be forced, I've not known many people that know how to think about the consequences of their actions to the environment and often abuse freedom. Open burning by kampung and throwing rubbish by everyone really needs to stop
most probably guys. although as harsh as it may sounds, the key is implementation and how to implement it. just educating on such topic alone won't do any major changes since we human tends not to care as long as it does not affect us.
we are flawed by this, shaped by this, and unfortunately, continues the same pattern until it is too late.

like many have pointed out, how many of us do care of not littering? 'what i don't see doesn't affect me'.
rubbish, cig butts, plastics, wrappers, all are left to be taken care off by the cleaner/s. until proper regulations are implemented, one would care less regarding this minute matter. years after only we will at last have civic minded nation.

only then we could only try to do our best to give some to our mother nature. start small, maybe by using less plastic bags when shopping.
and as for me, less model kit collection tongue.gif
tropicanagolf
post Jul 26 2013, 01:15 AM

15 posts

When i was overseas, I saw a hillbilly recycling his beer bottles .. That's when I thought of the state of Malaysia lol

Anyway speaking of implementation , crimes can't even be settled . On top of that, developing countries tend to neglect environmental issues anyway..
Victor3010
post Jul 26 2013, 01:32 AM

Regular
1,567 posts

Why can't we just drink water straight from the tap in this country? What are the barriers?
TSTiger I
post Jul 26 2013, 01:50 AM

Getting Started
210 posts

QUOTE(tropicanagolf @ Jul 26 2013, 01:15 AM)
When i was overseas, I saw a hillbilly recycling his beer bottles .. That's when I thought of the state of Malaysia lol

Anyway speaking of implementation , crimes can't even be settled . On top of that, developing countries tend to neglect environmental issues anyway..
yeah that. yikes. and that too, but still, environmental issues is a global issue.
Ramsar Convention is directly regarding on wetlands while we are on this topic. Malaysia's mangrove is fast encroaching by development, and if something serious is not done regarding this, then this might lead to a bigger problem.
carbon footprints. that one is also on the rise. carbon sequestration was talked about in Kyoto Protocol, but i don't think many people are aware of its impact.

QUOTE(Victor3010 @ Jul 26 2013, 01:32 AM)
Why can't we just drink water straight from the tap in this country? What are the barriers?
by right i rasa ok je (idk dah lama tak buat water quality)
people are concern regarding bacterias and chlorine maybe?
Einjahr
post Jul 26 2013, 08:35 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(Tiger I @ Jul 26 2013, 01:07 AM)
most probably guys. although as harsh as it may sounds, the key is implementation and how to implement it. just educating on such topic alone won't do any major changes since we human tends not to care as long as it does not affect us.
we are flawed by this, shaped by this, and unfortunately, continues the same pattern until it is too late.

like many have pointed out, how many of us do care of not littering? 'what i don't see doesn't affect me'.
rubbish, cig butts, plastics, wrappers, all are left to be taken care off by the cleaner/s. until proper regulations are implemented, one would care less regarding this minute matter. years after only we will at last have civic minded nation.

only then we could only try to do our best to give some to our mother nature. start small, maybe by using less plastic bags when shopping.
and as for me, less model kit collection tongue.gif
you should be using your tank to evict the squatters. laugh.gif

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0189sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:38 AM