Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Opinion on sound card choice, Asus or Creative sound card

views

TSsoliddragon88
post May 13 2013, 02:31 AM, updated 11y ago

Getting Started
84 posts

Hi guys, I am contemplating whether or not to get a sound card for my current rig (primary rig as shown in my signature), which I mainly do light gaming with some music listening and movie watching. Currently with Gigabyte H55M-S2 mobo with onboard audio powered by Realtek. smile.gif

The various sound cards for considerations are (budget constraint and PCIe slot required):
1) Asus Xonar DGX (RM139)
2) Asus Xonar DX (RM250)
3) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (RM75)

I know that the Creative card does not have real X-Fi, but it is in my list for consideration due to the fact that I am able to get my hands on one at half the price of the Asus Xonar DGX.

In various other forums and review websites, both the Asus cards have managed to gain reputable comments and reviews which is tempting me to spend more for them.

Please feel free to voice out your opinion regarding which of these cards are the best in terms of value for money. I am only using 2.1 speakers by the way, no headphones. Cheers.

The question is that will there be a noticeable improvement in the audio quality for either sound cards as compared to the current onboard audio if only 2.1 speakers are used? I am new to this sound card thingy so please endure my noobness. smile.gif

Please feel free to comment. Thanks guys! Cheers.

(P.S. The option to upgrade my current speakers is out of the question at the moment due to budget constraint)

This post has been edited by soliddragon88: May 14 2013, 07:36 PM
noobandroid
post May 13 2013, 09:18 AM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

my advice is external usb powered audio devices, as it wont interfer with internals, and will sound cleaner
TSsoliddragon88
post May 13 2013, 11:06 AM

Getting Started
84 posts

QUOTE(noobandroid @ May 13 2013, 09:18 AM)
my advice is external usb powered audio devices, as it wont interfer with internals, and will sound cleaner
Hi, something like the Creative X-Fi Go USB? http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Soun.../B002651ZNI.htm
noobandroid
post May 13 2013, 12:01 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(soliddragon88 @ May 13 2013, 11:06 AM)
Hi, something like the Creative X-Fi Go USB? http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Soun.../B002651ZNI.htm
i wouldnt say creative builds good sound

perhaps you can try brands like hippo, govibe, fiio, o2amp+oDAC etc these are the lower cost but sound is way better than any of those by Creative or Asus. They are audio emphasized products without any other computer products in their line up

something more privileged will be iDAC or Burson Audio or CEntrance or the JDSLabs
TSsoliddragon88
post May 14 2013, 07:27 PM

Getting Started
84 posts

QUOTE(noobandroid @ May 13 2013, 12:01 PM)
i wouldnt say creative builds good sound

perhaps you can try brands like hippo, govibe, fiio, o2amp+oDAC etc these are the lower cost but sound is way better than any of those by Creative or Asus. They are audio emphasized products without any other computer products in their line up

something more privileged will be iDAC or Burson Audio or CEntrance or the JDSLabs
Thanks man for the info.

However it seems that the Asus Xonar cards are gaining reputable reviews and comments in various other forums. Thus am contemplating whether to get the Xonar DGX, DX or the Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio (because the price is half of that of the Xonar DGX).

This post has been edited by soliddragon88: May 14 2013, 07:27 PM
noobandroid
post May 14 2013, 08:36 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(soliddragon88 @ May 14 2013, 07:27 PM)
Thanks man for the info.

However it seems that the Asus Xonar cards are gaining reputable reviews and comments in various other forums. Thus am contemplating whether to get the Xonar DGX, DX or the Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio (because the price is half of that of the Xonar DGX).
Xonar cards are good IF you mod it, well for the externals, too many powerful competitors specialized in these

X-Fi is something i would avoid, had one, random BSOD cause of lousy and i mean freaking lousy drivers

This post has been edited by noobandroid: May 14 2013, 08:36 PM
TSsoliddragon88
post May 14 2013, 10:28 PM

Getting Started
84 posts

QUOTE(noobandroid @ May 14 2013, 08:36 PM)
Xonar cards are good IF you mod it, well for the externals, too many powerful competitors specialized in these

X-Fi is something i would avoid, had one, random BSOD cause of lousy and i mean freaking lousy drivers
In your opinion, between the X-Fi and DGX, I should get the DGX even though the X-Fi is half the price of the DGX? lol cheers.
Problem
post May 14 2013, 11:37 PM

On my way
605 posts

QUOTE(soliddragon88 @ May 14 2013, 10:28 PM)
In your opinion, between the X-Fi and DGX, I should get the DGX even though the X-Fi is half the price of the DGX? lol cheers.
Perhapps in terms of reliability I would say DGX is better, creative seems to have terrible drivers for a very long time.
noobandroid
post May 15 2013, 05:52 AM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(soliddragon88 @ May 14 2013, 10:28 PM)
IMO, I wont get either one, and stick with the brands i mentioned, Asus and Creative are not strong in audio products, and mostly over rated

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0182sec    0.16    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:38 PM