Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Salary discussions should stop

views

lin00b
post Apr 12 2013, 11:02 PM

nobody
3,584 posts

I call BS on this.Salary range is information, and everyone should have access to information. How that person act on the information is up to him.

From an employer/business owner point of view, would you go into a business without knowing what the market rate is for your product?
lin00b
post Apr 12 2013, 11:27 PM

nobody
3,584 posts

QUOTE(dreamer101 @ Apr 12 2013, 11:07 PM)
lin00b,

I will make this slight adjustment...My own and someone's else salary is P&C.  But, I could help someone by revealing the typical salary range and market rate of certain job if I choose to.

For example, if I work for HL Bank, it is unethical for me to say the fresh graduate salary at HLB is XYZ.  This is my employer's P&C information.  But, I could say that the typical fresh graduate salary at Malaysian Local Bank is ABC...

Dreamer
disagree.

an individual's salary is P&C for reason of security and privacy.

a position's salary range and benefits for a certain company shouldnt be P&C. if HLB is offering the bottom range of the Malaysian Local Bank salary range compared to CIMB thats offering near the top, potential employees and existing employees at both banks have the right to know. And you cant really keep it a secret anyways, if a person is in the industry long enough, he will have some idea via rumours, hearsay, and networks.
lin00b
post Apr 14 2013, 10:28 PM

nobody
3,584 posts

QUOTE(~PussyDevil~ @ Apr 14 2013, 08:10 PM)
Less than 5 mins? What did you ask? Care to share?
I would say the most straight forward way would be to give a series of "sample problems/tasks" the employee would be expected to face on the job and see how the employee respond to it.
lin00b
post Apr 17 2013, 07:54 PM

nobody
3,584 posts

QUOTE(Coontbag @ Apr 17 2013, 12:00 PM)
The companies who do not advertise salary range on job postings are TYPICALLY the bigger corporations. Like your banks, big O&G companies, etc. Because they have hundreds of staff, these companies have various different departments, and different skill set of employees. Some even do headhunting. Hence, when they advertise for fresh grads, because they are a big corp, they have the upper hand against other companies in getting the best staff and talents. They do not need to lure the future employees with money. Does this sound like exploitation to you?
Again I call BS on that.

I work in a big OnG company and the salary range there is as systematic as it gets, with yearly review and formulas. They know who are their competitors in terms of talent and position themselves strategically to keep a balance between retaining talent and cost saving. And HR regularly hold sessions to explain about salary and benefits - despite getting bombarded every time.

everyone in the company can know roughly the range of the salary of everyone else. and similarly can roughly guess the salary of other companies in the region.

and one of the main attraction of them to freshies IS the entrance salary, which is sometimes more than twice of the typical chinaman. you think grads rush into OnG for the brand only? it's all about the money, both current entry salary and future potential salary.
lin00b
post Apr 18 2013, 11:38 PM

nobody
3,584 posts

QUOTE(Coontbag @ Apr 18 2013, 12:20 PM)
Dude. Don't know how to read? TYPICALLY. I even wrote it in caps cos I know someone will miss that word.

Yes, you can roughly guess their salary range, and that coincides with what I was saying. Innit?

If one of the main attraction for freshies is the entrance salary, why are accountants fighting to go to a big 4 auditing firm? Their pay isn't lucrative and ridiculous hours. Again, see the word above: TYPICALLY
I'm only speaking in the context of "big OnG" of which there are only a handful. and yes, that is "typically" the case there - they pay freshie good money, and they are transparent about it.

I'm not speaking in the context of "big audit" or "big banks" or "big anything else", because I have no experience nor knowledge of those industries.

I m only correcting your saying "big OnG" does not disclose employee salary (ok probably not during the newspaper advert, but few weeks in, confirm the employee knows if he is underpaid, and if he is, he has a good case to get it rectified), and/or they do not disclose graduate salary (ok, not in newspaper, but every freshie of the same qualification gets exactly the same salary), and/or they do not lure freshie with money.

This post has been edited by lin00b: Apr 18 2013, 11:42 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0230sec    0.29    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:30 PM