Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

(brief review) So I tested some Philips today, THEY ARE DAMN FANTASTIC!

views

TSAlamakLor
post Apr 16 2006, 06:17 AM, updated 18y ago

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

Well maybe not.....read on

they were all tested with my ipod direct headout, no fancy setup, it;s simply not logical to spend on amp just to power cheap stuff like these.

HN110
user posted image
Horrible...muffled...not worth mentioning. I guess the only reason anybody would buy this is because of the noise canceling feature. I didn't try that so dun ask.

HS465
user posted image
Very cold sounding and highs are very shrill. This is probably the coldest of all of the four phones. All music sounds like they have been "radiofied" (sounds like radio). Guess what, Sony has a phone that makes all music sound like Donald duck (duckified). Philips seems more "practical" here compared to what Sony made their phone sound like. Funnily, it is priced at around RM83 retail over here...one of the most expensive of these four phones ...anyway....avoid at all cost.

HS520
user posted image

This is the only phone which box was not opened, so I gotta buy it to give it a try. First of all, the bass is quite interesting, it doesn't hit very deep but quite well controlled. Unfortunately, when more instruments come in, it couldn't catch up with the other frequency, thus it sound very soft.

Mid range is rather recessed; highs are also quite cold and shrill but not as bad as the hs465. The phone is quite congested sounding, doesn't sound very airy at all (compared to ksc75).

The ear loop is very high, the phone is sitting very low on my ears...the lowest part of the pad is actually touching my ear lobe....doesn't seem like the pads can be easily changed, you probably gotta dismantle the driver to change the pads. Other than that, the fit is alright. I'm returning them soon.

*extra*
I was listening to eminem encore while having my dinner earlier...I realised that the phone is putting out more bass than it can handle..the right driver actually rattles on the track "ass like that". I dun think this phone can do bassy stuff very well...it actually do sound like it's gonna explode on some bass eavy tracks.

HS820
user posted image
This phone kinda caught my attention the first time I tried it on. it is foldable, to about as small as the px100 if not smaller. It will have to transform to its behind the neck style before you could use it. I can't really remember, but I think the hs465, 520, and this phone share the same pad design...you can't change it easily.

The hs820 has bass like my MDR-CD480 and the SA1k....basically...the Sony bass. What's a Sony bass? The bass emphasizes on the mid/high bass, not like the 650 per se, but smoother. The 650's mid bass sounds as if it's gonna explode any time. Didn't pay attention to the depth, but I think it hits just as low as the 520 if not lower.

The tonal balance of this phone seems more right, it didn't sound as cold/shrill/quacky like the hs520 and 465. I'm gonna give it another shot some time later. Anyway, I believe this is the best phone of all those that I've tested today. This phone might be worth considering, we will see.

Conclusion
Looks like Philips is more into looks than the sound for their sport style phones. I believe Sennheiser is also taking the same path now. All I can tell you is that, for around RM100..ksc75 OWNS ALL! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA. End of story (no kidding)
smile.gif
nicvoo
post Apr 16 2006, 06:31 AM

N|_|_|B
4,707 posts

lolz this will make even more ppl line up for the next bulk(if there is one)
hahahaha
Sichiri
post Apr 16 2006, 08:11 AM

Regular
1,165 posts

ksc75 is gonna be the King of <Rm100 for a long time. I can't even tell the diference from it and the SR-60 soundwise. So, unless someone comes out with something that sounds like a HD555 for under a hundred, only time will tell.
TSAlamakLor
post Apr 16 2006, 08:41 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(Sichiri @ Apr 15 2006, 09:11 PM)
ksc75 is gonna be the King of <Rm100 for a long time. I can't even tell the diference from it and the SR-60 soundwise. So, unless someone comes out with something that sounds like a HD555 for under a hundred, only time will tell.
i will gladly stock them up if that happens laugh.gif
kev da man
post Apr 16 2006, 08:50 AM

super lurker
All Stars
15,278 posts

aiyark....i thought they were proper pairs of cans....and not upgrades from your average iPod-toting joe laugh.gif
TSAlamakLor
post Apr 16 2006, 09:31 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(kev da man @ Apr 15 2006, 09:50 PM)
aiyark....i thought they were proper pairs of cans....and not upgrades from your average iPod-toting joe laugh.gif
upgrade? LOL I'd take the ipod buds over the 465...how's that? laugh.gif
geejun2
post Apr 16 2006, 11:50 AM

ipod-freak
951 posts

wahaha...
the KSC75 is the current big wave... and oh my godddddddd.....
anyway, if the stock buds owns these phones... then these phones should put to rest... hahahaha...
tongue.gif

one more thing...
the title is sooooo misleading...
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif rclxub.gif rclxub.gif rclxub.gif rclxub.gif rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by geejun2: Apr 16 2006, 11:53 AM
Sky.Live
post Apr 16 2006, 01:43 PM

Proctected Species
4,383 posts

do you know that the whole pc fair, the whole klcc's ksc-75 is out of stock now??
mikechai
post Apr 16 2006, 02:31 PM

Regular
1,293 posts

Hey AlamakLor, the HS820 is cheaper than the Koss and it sounds great too. Give it another shot.
zx7177
post Apr 16 2006, 04:57 PM

@mp.ZX
2,851 posts

QUOTE(Sky.Live @ Apr 16 2006, 01:43 PM)
do you know that the whole pc fair, the whole klcc's ksc-75 is out of stock now??
the leapfrog shop at teh banquet hall there ?

if yes , thn i also saw the lack of ksc75's in the whole rack of koss products
Omegaminx
post Apr 16 2006, 06:15 PM

Getting Started
181 posts

ALL-IT LYP still has 2 of them at RM110 each, ha, go and buy them b4 all grabbed smile.gif

geejun2
post Apr 16 2006, 06:20 PM

ipod-freak
951 posts

wow... shortage in ksc75...
alamaklor really created a wave here... a wave tht hit us real bad..
wahahah
enCORe
post Apr 16 2006, 07:28 PM

Gadget lovers
5,301 posts

a "common sense" review, thats kool blush.gif

btw, any one else use the same setup ? rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(AlamakLor @ Apr 16 2006, 06:17 AM)
they were all tested with my ipod direct headout, no fancy setup, it;s simply not logical to spend on amp just to power cheap stuff like these.
namh
post Apr 16 2006, 09:40 PM

jDorama addicts
1,422 posts

HS820.. i own 2 of this last time.. bought one and it kong in 6 months.. bought another one and it kong around the same time.. the sound produce really fit my ear but it cant live too long cry.gif
Renovatio
post Apr 17 2006, 12:49 AM

~ Enthusiast low on cash ~
1,942 posts

lol keep on the good work promoting KSC75 tongue.gif So second bulk can happen and I could buy one finally
Omegaminx
post Apr 17 2006, 01:31 AM

Getting Started
181 posts

QUOTE(geejun2 @ Apr 16 2006, 06:20 PM)
wow... shortage in ksc75...
alamaklor really created a wave here... a wave tht hit us real bad..
wahahah
smile.gif

The tsunami started at headfi initially, then I guessed alamaklor help ride the wave all the way to M'sia icon_rolleyes.gif

But there are some old-timers at headfi who also recommend the KSC-35 which are the older type of clip-ons before the advent of the ksc75, but leapfrog didn't bring them in. These have been discontinued at one time to make wave for newer models but it seems that Koss brought them back into production bcoz of the huge demand and I guess a discont product which has been resurrected should really say something of its demand/quality but they can only be ordered direct from Koss or other online means ( whistling.gif if u get what I mean)

alamak tried them before: sounds something like the portapro if I'm not mistaken as they use the same drivers

Anyone doing a bulk on these too(in addition to ksc75), pls let us know?

This post has been edited by Omegaminx: Apr 17 2006, 01:33 AM
TSAlamakLor
post Apr 17 2006, 02:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

oh my gawd....u guys are invading with the ksc75....sweat.gif

yeah mike, the hs820 is probably worth considering, i did say im gonna give it another shot. There was only one unit left back there and it was opened so I didn't buy it, but walmart stocks up very quickly, when they come in again im gonna get them and give them one more shot. I think it is the best phone out of the four. the only concern I have is that the phone grips my head pretty tightly and the pads are vortually unchangeable...hmm...disposable phone laugh.gif, and it couldn't last longer than 6 months? blink.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0183sec    0.30    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:29 AM