Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> DIY mini drive for MacBook Air, SD card nifty drive alternative

xproc
post Apr 5 2013, 04:44 PM, updated 5y ago

free for all
Group: Senior Member

Refer photo as attached , I will add more details later, it is alternative for SD card solution for something like nifty mini drive, or the mini drive, which found on the internet. this one is DIY by myself, will add more details later

This post has been edited by xproc: Apr 25 2013, 09:18 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
chokia
post Apr 13 2013, 02:48 PM

Chartered Member

What happen to this project? I found another alternative while waiting for your update.

a one dollar solution

http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/140936228146
BRY7
post Apr 13 2013, 03:41 PM

Siri: I'm your humble personal assistant

QUOTE(chokia @ Apr 13 2013, 02:48 PM)
What happen to this project? I found another alternative while waiting for your update.

a one dollar solution

http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/140936228146
do you know what is a nifty mini drive?
its not a reader like the one you show
david888
post Apr 13 2013, 05:20 PM

Regular

QUOTE(xproc @ Apr 5 2013, 04:44 PM)
Refer photo as attached , I will add more details later, it is alternative for SD card solution for something like nifty mini drive, or the mini drive, which found on the internet. this one is DIY by myself, will add more details later
smile.gif very good idea! btw, for those who wish to take a look at the the nifty mini drive, below is the link:

http://theniftyminidrive.com/

chokia
post Apr 13 2013, 11:49 PM

Chartered Member

QUOTE(BRY7 @ Apr 13 2013, 03:41 PM)
do you know what is a nifty mini drive?
its not a reader like the one you show
No but it will be just waste for MBA 11
I ll stick to the one dollar reader.
BRY7
post Apr 14 2013, 10:03 AM

Siri: I'm your humble personal assistant

QUOTE(chokia @ Apr 13 2013, 11:49 PM)
No but it will be just waste for MBA 11
I ll stick to the one dollar reader.
its an option to add more storage on your MBA, it uses the SD Card Slot.
but unfortunately, MBA 11" doesn't have one
xproc
post Apr 15 2013, 05:41 PM

free for all

Guys, I have tested it with my 256mb Micro SD card and its works, and the size also flush nicely inside , there are still something I not yet test because I do not have time recently

Trust me I have research this a long time start from kick starter the nifty mini drive (USD 30) , and the mini drive at amazon(USD 15-20). The later one is copying the nifty concept because they found the adapter which is shown as above , I ordered one to test it and its works , need further testing only

1. I have not test the speed yet, I need to find a Sandisk UHS 64 gb to test the speed. Currently I only have normal class 2 16 gb micro ad which is indeed slow,

2. Although can fit in nicely, the problem is how to take it out. Currently I using the tape solution as those shown in Internet , I looking to better solution

3. I will post the picture how it sits inside MacBook Air 13 next time

4. I will buy 64gb UHS microsd once I found the proper solution of ejecting the adapter

5. Even the nifty mini drive, I see one of the user complain the adapter not able to removed after slot in. Need to go repair which open whole case to retrieve the stucked adapter where I want to avoid this happens

6. Any solution or suggestion to improve the ejection mechanism is truly appreciated
xproc
post Apr 15 2013, 05:43 PM

free for all

Sorry bad English with a lot typo because I flu and sick and tired and typing on a phone
jameslow
post Apr 19 2013, 07:12 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Hi, where did you order this kind of adapter that accept side load microsd?
david888
post Apr 21 2013, 05:24 PM

Regular

QUOTE(xproc @ Apr 15 2013, 05:41 PM)
Guys, I have tested it with my 256mb Micro SD card and its works, and the size also flush nicely inside , there are still something I not yet test because I do not have time recently

Trust me I have research this a long time start from kick starter the nifty mini drive (USD 30) , and the mini drive at amazon(USD 15-20). The later one is copying the nifty concept because they found the adapter which is shown as above , I ordered one to test it and its works , need further testing only

1. I have not test the speed yet, I need to find a Sandisk UHS 64 gb to test the speed. Currently I only have normal class 2 16 gb micro ad which is indeed slow,

2. Although can fit in nicely, the problem is how to take it out. Currently I using the tape solution as those shown in Internet , I looking to better solution

4. I will buy 64gb UHS microsd once I found the proper solution of ejecting the adapter

5. Even the nifty mini drive, I see one of the user complain the adapter not able to removed after slot in. Need to go repair which open whole case to retrieve the stucked adapter where I want to avoid this happens

6. Any solution or suggestion to improve the ejection mechanism is truly appreciated
hi, normally those cheap microsd adaptors are using low end chipset built-in with slow read write unless they manufacturer stated their spec, well, normally they don't tell us because of the cost & price issue. the is another solution from Apotop, Apotop smartsuite, which is better design for insert & eject with quite good speed (around 30 to 40MB/s if i still remember correctly), but it's only available in taiwan. see picture below.

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by david888: Apr 21 2013, 05:41 PM
runemastertan
post Apr 22 2013, 05:57 AM

Regular

Bro, any pics?
jameslow
post Apr 22 2013, 11:26 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(david888 @ Apr 21 2013, 05:24 PM)
hi, normally those cheap microsd adaptors are using low end chipset built-in with slow read write unless they manufacturer stated their spec, well, normally they don't tell us because of the cost & price issue. the is another solution from Apotop, Apotop smartsuite, which is better design for insert & eject with quite good speed (around 30 to 40MB/s if i still remember correctly), but it's only available in taiwan. see picture below.
user posted image

user posted image
This is good, is it only available online? Any seller here in Malaysia?
jobfree2u
post Apr 23 2013, 03:52 PM

Getting Started

how much selling?
david888
post Apr 23 2013, 06:05 PM

Regular

QUOTE(jameslow @ Apr 22 2013, 11:26 PM)
This is good, is it only available online? Any seller here in Malaysia?
not available in melaka, others states not sure, because i did contact one of the supplier in melaka, they are not interested in Apotop products anymore.

QUOTE(jobfree2u @ Apr 23 2013, 03:52 PM)
how much selling?
roughly around RM20+- per unit i guess, but must buy 3 units in one pack, that's around RM60+-. the price could be different bcoz sometimes this type of item the price will go up to 1.5X or 2X, or price will go down to 0.3X to 0.8X if china manufacturer manage to make a fake units, hard to predict.

This post has been edited by david888: Apr 23 2013, 06:32 PM
xproc
post Apr 25 2013, 09:21 PM

free for all

david is correct, speed is what i concern, i not yet test it and look like david have better solution
minmin
post Jul 7 2013, 11:18 AM

Getting Started

No any news to get this anywhere in malaysia? online or retails?

would really want to get one
xproc
post Jul 8 2013, 02:48 AM

free for all

You mean the like the one i cut?
minmin
post Jul 8 2013, 11:13 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(xproc @ Jul 8 2013, 02:48 AM)
You mean the like the one i cut?
any brand as long as usable, i try to find but really cant get it any where...
if wanna self made, where to buy the bigger one and cut?
xproc
post Jul 9 2013, 01:40 AM

free for all

QUOTE(minmin @ Jul 8 2013, 11:13 PM)
any brand as long as usable, i try to find but really cant get it any where...
if wanna self made, where to buy the bigger one and cut?
eBay from oversea
bert2662
post Jul 14 2013, 02:04 PM

Getting Started

How is the performance of a Class 10 SDHC card, compared with HDD or even SSD??
xproc
post Jul 14 2013, 09:08 PM

free for all

people DIY it and sell at amazon /eBay for USD 30... like daylight robbing leh

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php...83#post17578983
andcorps
post Aug 7 2014, 03:13 PM

Getting Started

i have 2 extra Apotop Suite, anyone need?
santaloke
post Aug 8 2014, 11:00 AM

Any photos?
xproc
post Aug 8 2014, 12:45 PM

free for all

QUOTE(santaloke @ Aug 8 2014, 11:00 AM)
Any photos?
i sold my mba 13 2012 and got mba 11 2013 last year.... so no updates to this liao...

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0670sec    5.10    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th January 2019 - 11:20 AM