Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Photography Nikon 1 J1 vs Lumix DMC-LX7 vs Sony NEX-F3, urgent help needed! lost & confused.

views

TSturquoise-
post Apr 3 2013, 03:24 AM, updated 11y ago

8 posts

Hello everyone,

I have already posted in the [Wanna buy New Camera? Undecided which to choose?V5] thread but I am still undecided and confused.
Basically my purpose of getting a camera is for travelling, taking night/morning sceneries, food, outing with friends, miniature figures.
Would like to get a camera which is not too difficult to use/ learn how to use.

Initially, I planned to buy either Nikon 1 J1/J2(default lens) or Panasonic DMC-LX7 depending which package comes in a better deal. So yesterday afternoon I went to camera shops to survey the prices, then there was this seller who recommended me Sony NEX-F3.

At first I thought I should still remain on choosing either the Nikon J1 or the Lumix LX7 but the seller told me that he can offer me the same price as the Lumix LX7 (with the least powerful lens, I think). Then he mentioned that the sensor for the NEX-F3 is larger and could take better pictures therefore better for travelling.

So I went home to have a look at its specs and compare those three. Now I'm having a real headache rclxub.gif on picking which one.
Please advice me which is better for my use cry.gif

-edit-
Budget: RM1,500 max

Side question:
Shop X offered me a camera with an 8GB memory card, screen protector, and camera bag & 3 years MY warranty.
Shop Y offered me the same camera with an 8GB memory card, camera casing, 3 years warranty (1 International + 2 MY) & cleaning kit with tripod.

Shop Y's price was more expensive by RM120. Is the RM 120 worth it for that international warranty & cleaning kit w/ tripod? Shop Y also offered me half price for the camera battery if I buy the camera from them.

THANK YOU in advance for your time and advice thumbup.gif

-edit-
Thanks everyone for participating and the advise. Finally made up my mind and bought my Lumix Lx7 smile.gif

This post has been edited by turquoise-: Apr 20 2013, 10:01 PM
TSturquoise-
post Apr 3 2013, 03:24 AM

8 posts

-edited-

This post has been edited by turquoise-: Apr 3 2013, 10:49 PM
mumeichan
post Apr 3 2013, 03:47 AM

4,152 posts

F3 with kit lens is about 4 times the lengt of lx7. LCD to front element.
If size isn't an issue you should probably get the F3. And for Teh seller to offer you same price, either he is jacking up the lx7 price or you got a really good deal for the f3
beelze_gpwk
post Apr 3 2013, 04:28 AM

On my way
632 posts

personally will go for F3... not because of price or anything, but on the picture quality, feature and etc.
geek8585
post Apr 3 2013, 08:42 AM

Enthusiast
923 posts

depends on what you want... again, the same question ask over and over again in the thread...

perhaps, you should consider the matter of size of the camera... if f3 size is ok for you, then go for it...

lx7 = tiny sensor, portable, big aperture, nonchangeable lens...
f3 = bigger than the other 2, interchangeable lens, aspc size sensor
nikon 1 = not really recommended... din really touch on it... but i wont pay that price for that kind of system... the sensor is even smaller than m43...

i'm not giving you extra headache... based on what you what to shoot, portability, and i can see the budget is around there... try have a look on Fuji X20 with a vintage looking (personal preference)... nod.gif

This post has been edited by geek8585: Apr 3 2013, 08:46 AM
little ice
post Apr 3 2013, 08:51 AM

PROFESSIONAL TROLL
3,242 posts

tight budget = Nikon V1 with kit lens (instead of J1), RM11xx, add RM350~400 for flash unit. J1 can be have for the same price, with built in flash , smaller battery, no EVF, not quite worth it if V1 is priced the same. many people only give negative remarks without really using it, just because of the sensor size and the initial price (yes, pretty darn expensive for what it is). i'm happily using it and operation is very fast, focus in good to decent lighting also very fast, and total silent - no shutter sound, focus sound, no nothing. although limited lens choice, but those lenses are very affordable.

LX7 - unless you're into fixed lens, i would recommend Nikon 1 over it, part of the reason being that Nikon 1 is actually cheaper.

NEX F3 - give better image quality than Nikon 1, and smaller body side, wide selection of lens but size much bigger (bigger sensor, bigger lens). better video than Nikon 1 too.

if you're worry about image quality, go for NEX F3. if you're going for affordable system, Nikon 1.
mumeichan
post Apr 3 2013, 09:47 AM

4,152 posts

I might be wrong, but I don't think he is thinking about getting a 'system'. I think interchangeable or not, he just wants one camera and whatever lens that will come with it.
coollong
post Apr 3 2013, 10:51 AM

Getting Started
56 posts

First think you should think is what is the type of camera that u want
interchangable lens or fixed lens?

Second, if interchangable lens, camera body is not such big deal as lens play major role of wat photo u going to have. Therefore what i suggest is
1. handling. if not good comfort enough, how good the camera is u also wont able to produce good photo.
2. Ur friends. if got any issue or doubt, friends with same camera are easy to refer.
3. Budget. camera body is not so expensive but the lens is. So if u r not so hardcore or going to be hardcore, think first as interchangable camera is hole with endless depth

If ur demand is not high or need to print out or check every photo to count the leaves or the hair, Digital compact are good enough for nowadays. Such gear like G15, RX100, X20, LX7 are capable to handle the ur requirement with some technique and skill added.

In the end, money is the main issue, so choose what u feel is right for u.
shootkk
post Apr 3 2013, 10:55 AM

Loyal Sony A100 User
Group Icon
Elite
2,540 posts

QUOTE(turquoise- @ Apr 3 2013, 03:24 AM)
Hello everyone,

I have already posted in the [Wanna buy New Camera? Undecided which to choose?V5] thread but I am still undecided and confused.
Basically my purpose of getting a camera is for travelling, taking night/morning sceneries, food, outing with friends, miniature figures.
Would like to get a camera which is not too difficult to use/ learn how to use.

Initially, I planned to buy either Nikon 1 J1/J2(default lens) or Panasonic DMC-LX7 depending which package comes in a better deal. So yesterday afternoon I went to camera shops to survey the prices, then there was this seller who recommended me Sony NEX-F3.

At first I thought I should still remain on choosing either the Nikon J1 or the Lumix LX7 but the seller told me that he can offer me the same price as the Lumix LX7 (with the least powerful lens, I think). Then he mentioned that the sensor for the NEX-F3 is larger and could take better pictures therefore better for travelling.

So I went home to have a look at its specs and compare those three. Now I'm having a real headache rclxub.gif  on picking which one.
Please advice me which is better for my use  cry.gif
THANK YOU in advance for your time and advice  thumbup.gif
OK... here we go again... people want image quality but then don't know what else they want to do with the camera...

Image quality DOES NOT equal good pictures. You could have the best image quality pic and that pic is the worst picture in terms of aesthetics when it comes to being a usable photo.

Example : You could literally see all the texture of the bride's dress (great sensor resolution) and can even tell all the subtle colour shades apart (amazing colour separation) and the pic is tack sharp and literally free of noise (great high ISO performance) but the bride's face is cut off from the frame (bad picture).

Anyhow...

As for TS requirements:

- for taking night / morning sceneries, food, miniature figures
All these situations have one thing in common --> low light. Thus if you want better low light performance from a camera, then the ISO performance is the key. According to TS's choices then the NEX F3 wins in ISO category due to its larger sensor size. Followed by the Nikon J1 and lastly the Panasonic

- for taking food, miniature figures
These are more suited to a macro lens or at the very least a lens that enables you to zoom in close. So in terms of flexibility of using different lenses for your needs, then the NEX F3 and the Nikon J1 could potentially end up in a tie. The Panasonic is a fixed lens so if that does not work, then you're stuck with what you have.
Of course if you are talking about using bona fide macro lenses, then the NEX F3 wins as you can use Sony Alpha DSLT/DSLR lenses via an adapter.

But if TS just wants a camera that can be used for snapshots and occasional miniature figures shooting and easy for travelling and don't want to fuss about settings or lenses or what-nots then the Panasonic wins. With the Panasonic it is like - if it works then it works, if it don't then too bad.. not need to fuss about am I using the right lens or right setting or what not.

Then there's the matter of size and budget and personal preferences. So TS it's really up to you. What do you intend to do with the camera? Do you really want to and interested in learning about photography? Or do you just want a camera to take pictures? If you really wanna learn, then I suggest the NEX F3 if not then the Panasonic should be able to fit most of your needs.
TSturquoise-
post Apr 3 2013, 10:24 PM

8 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Hi, well, actually I did ask the seller if the camera was too big or heavy-- he said no. There was no display set for the F3 and he said if I wanted to have a look, then he will get it for me but I have to wait 15 mins. I didn't wanted all those fuss and all since I haven't check anything about it anyways. So just told him I will check the model out online so just explain to me why is this camera good. He offered me RM1,399 for the Lx 7 and he said he could offer me the same for the F3. At first he said it's Sony NEX-F3K, then he told me to just remove the "K". Do you think that there might be something under his sleeves? -ie: maybe a display set/something wrong with the cam?

On the other hand, I saw the F3 in a Sony Center today (couldn't test it out though, out of battery or something) and I saw it priced at RM1,999 rclxub.gif

Please enlighten me biggrin.gif

Well, I guess you are right. I don't know much about the system thing, this is going to be the first time I'm getting a dedicated-camera. Where as on the interchangeable or not, I'm not too sure which suits my needs best. But I guess the good thing about interchangeable ones is that in the future I can get a better lens if I want to venture into something new? unsure.gif
TSturquoise-
post Apr 3 2013, 10:31 PM

8 posts

Hi, well....yes the size does matter as I wouldn't want it to be too bulky/heavy when I'm travelling, but looking at the price that particular seller offered me and its features... rclxub.gif
Will check out the Fuji X20 to see how it looks. Thanks.

Hi, my budget is RM1,500 max. Thanks for the advise anyway.
TSturquoise-
post Apr 3 2013, 10:33 PM

8 posts

Hi, regarding no.2, I had other models in mind earlier but narrowed down to the J1 and Lx 7 because I got a friend who owns Lx 5 and she said it's not bad. I've also seen the pictures she taken with that camera on her fb albums. And the J1; my friend's friend has it and my friend showed me the some pictures taken by he J1 and told me it's good.
Regarding no.3, my budget is RM1,500 max.

Anyways, thanks for the advise.

Hi, thank you so much. Will take note of your advise. thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by turquoise-: Apr 3 2013, 10:47 PM
geek8585
post Apr 3 2013, 11:25 PM

Enthusiast
923 posts

turquoise-

to further enlighten you, K is stand for single lens kit, and D is stand for dual lens kit..

if im not mistaken, K comes with 18-55 and D will give u what K gives + 16mm lens...

for the price of 1399 most likely is just with single lens kit... cheers ! (nth hide under his sleeve i guess.. haha)
mumeichan
post Apr 4 2013, 12:10 AM

4,152 posts

QUOTE(turquoise- @ Apr 3 2013, 10:24 PM)

Hi, well, actually I did ask the seller if the camera was too big or heavy-- he said no. There was no display set for the F3 and he said if I wanted to have a look, then he will get it for me but I have to wait 15 mins. I didn't wanted all those fuss and all since I haven't check anything about it anyways. So just told him I will check the model out online so just explain to me why is this camera good. He offered me RM1,399 for the Lx 7 and he said he could offer me the same for the F3. At first he said it's Sony NEX-F3K, then he told me to just remove the "K". Do you think that there might be something under his sleeves? -ie: maybe a display set/something wrong with the cam?

On the other hand, I saw the F3 in a Sony Center today (couldn't test it out though, out of battery or something) and I saw it priced at RM1,999  rclxub.gif

Please enlighten me  biggrin.gif

Well, I guess you are right. I don't know much about the system thing, this is going to be the first time I'm getting a dedicated-camera. Where as on the interchangeable or not, I'm not too sure which suits my needs best. But I guess the good thing about interchangeable ones is that in the future I can get a better lens if I want to venture into something new?  unsure.gif
Actually all the Nex body are about the same size and most of the weight comes from the lens. And the 18-55 lens is one of the longer and heavier ones. So you can just pick up any Nex and see how it feels. The difference between the nex is the function within the body, button layout and more technical stuff like burst mode etc. Most of these won't matter to you really. I can see you want something that you can just set in auto mode and gives good pictures.

There is only one kind of F3 now, so you will probably get the F3 with the 18-55 lens. He probably told you to take out the K cause maybe he scared make mistake. Like you know Nex 5 got 5, 5R 5N and then withing each got 5K, 5RK 5NK to signify it come with the kit lens. In any case, test it before you leave the shop, 1399 is really a good deal.

One good think about nex is that say you smash the lens, you can just replace the lens and nex lens are cheap. If you smash you lx7 lens, your whole camera is gone.

I would say don't even consider the J1.
ekestima
post Apr 6 2013, 09:10 AM

Enthusiast
929 posts

TS, I dont mean to add additional confusion rclxub.gif to you but there'se another NEX line coming up. NEX3N, equipt with the newer 16-50mm image stabilasation lense for RM1799 from Sony Malaysia Website.
I myself is shopping for Mirrorless Camera now too. tongue.gif
As for those like NEX F3 / F3K are all meant to differenciate the lense kit. Some with twin lense or Single lense.
M43 system like Olympus / Panasonic is also quite cheap thou. I saw Panasonic GF3 with twin lense (14mm + 14-42mm) for only RM1350.
If not mistaken, today newspaper SenQ is offering Panasonic GF5 twin lense kit for RM1,799 plus discount for RM150 member + Cash voucher RM200 + 3yr wrty.
Honestly, I'm eyeing on Sony Nex 3. Some sony shop are offering trade in Promo (discount RM300) so, RM1599 with some freebies like SD Card, SP, bag. But definitely I'll for for additional warranty personally, as I have some experience with it before.
johnny82
post Apr 6 2013, 09:26 AM

Enthusiast
784 posts

it all depends on ur preference ts..

Are u willing to spend more money for lens? If yes then u can consider those micro 4/3 camera like GF3, GF5.. small , compact, and can take good photo (Mind u the learning curve is a bit steep too..if ur easily frustrated then not a good idea)..

if ur not willing to spend money on lens.. get a digicam.. top up ur budget a bit can get sony rx100 (best compact camera according to people lol)

personally i would recommend fuji x10 or x20..or maybe even fuji x100 if u dont use zoom at all..
ekestima
post Apr 6 2013, 11:58 AM

Enthusiast
929 posts

yup agree, if u r willing to fork additional investment in lens, than interchangeable lens cam is good. m43 have more lens choice compare to nex system.
TSturquoise-
post Apr 20 2013, 09:59 PM

8 posts

Thanks everyone for participating and the advise. Finally made up my mind and bought my Lumix Lx7. The NEX F3 is a great camera but I think my learning curve isn't that fast so I'll learn the very basics from my Lx7 first biggrin.gif Thanks again for the replies laugh.gif I really appreciate it rclxms.gif
ekestima
post May 1 2013, 05:42 PM

Enthusiast
929 posts

Enjoy snapping ..
danielcmugen
post Jul 29 2013, 12:46 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,493 posts

QUOTE(johnny82 @ Apr 6 2013, 09:26 AM)
it all depends on ur preference ts..

Are u willing to spend more money for lens? If yes then u can consider those micro 4/3 camera like GF3, GF5.. small , compact, and can take good photo (Mind u the learning curve is a bit steep too..if ur easily frustrated then not a good idea)..

if ur not willing to spend money on lens.. get a digicam.. top up ur budget a bit can get sony rx100 (best compact camera according to people lol)

personally i would recommend fuji x10 or x20..or maybe even fuji x100 if u dont use zoom at all..
QUOTE(ekestima @ Apr 6 2013, 11:58 AM)
yup agree, if u r willing to fork additional investment in lens, than interchangeable lens cam is good. m43 have more lens choice compare to nex system.
Sorry for bumping old thread.

Based on the reviews, a low end m43/NEX still beats a high end compact cam in terms of overall image quality even with the standard kit lens. But why only recommend if we wanna change lenses?

I'm in a similar situation as TS, but more into serious photography. If I choose NEX, I can't afford to buy new lenses.
johnny82
post Jul 30 2013, 08:34 AM

Enthusiast
784 posts

QUOTE(danielcmugen @ Jul 29 2013, 12:46 AM)
Sorry for bumping old thread.

Based on the reviews, a low end m43/NEX still beats a high end compact cam in terms of overall image quality even with the standard kit lens. But why only recommend if we wanna change lenses?

I'm in a similar situation as TS, but more into serious photography. If I choose NEX, I can't afford to buy new lenses.
Sad reality is that itu can't afford to buy lenses.. Then u shouldn't get too serious in photography.. Lenses are expensive.. Especially the good ones.. And they all have their own purpose. M4/3 and nex will surely beat compact la.. Since they have a larger sensor.. Perhaps u should try buying those semi manual one first.. Play around till ur expert and save up till u know which good dslr or micro 4/3 to get and how it will suit ur purpose and photography technic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0259sec    0.34    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:54 PM