Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

What is plasticizer, omg, why my tubing changed colour?

views

diaBoliQu3
post Apr 4 2013, 11:17 AM

☆ Untitled ☆
5,630 posts

So, based on your research, which one is the best tubing so far?
TSinfernoaswen
post Apr 4 2013, 11:41 AM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
3,780 posts

QUOTE(diaBoliQu3 @ Apr 4 2013, 11:17 AM)
So, based on your research, which one is the best tubing so far?
1) Tygon E-1000
2) Primoflex Advance LRT
3) Durelene

^Based on people good feedback.

- I havent test on primo yet, but currently doing on durelene haha...will post more results soon smile.gif
diaBoliQu3
post Apr 4 2013, 12:45 PM

☆ Untitled ☆
5,630 posts

QUOTE(infernoaswen @ Apr 4 2013, 11:41 AM)
1) Tygon E-1000
2) Primoflex Advance LRT
3) Durelene

^Based on people good feedback.

- I havent test on primo yet, but currently doing on durelene haha...will post more results soon smile.gif
Got bulk? brows.gif
diaBoliQu3
post Apr 4 2013, 12:50 PM

☆ Untitled ☆
5,630 posts

QUOTE(infernoaswen @ Mar 30 2013, 04:19 PM)
Thermochill / XSPC (they are both the same company) .. i had there tubing go crazy on me (lots of plastersizer).
Quite sad with this statement. Haha...
TSinfernoaswen
post Apr 4 2013, 12:56 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
3,780 posts

QUOTE(diaBoliQu3 @ Apr 4 2013, 12:45 PM)
Got bulk? brows.gif
No bulk, but can back order it. Refer to this thread: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2746371

QUOTE(diaBoliQu3 @ Apr 4 2013, 12:50 PM)
Quite sad with this statement. Haha...
Although that was the statement, I cannot judge all XSPC tubing, from what I know the stock kit tubing is shit, thats for sure but xspc got premium tubing too. Not sure how it performs, unless somebody wish to donate me some I can test & let you guys know the results laugh.gif
diaBoliQu3
post Apr 4 2013, 01:14 PM

☆ Untitled ☆
5,630 posts

QUOTE(infernoaswen @ Apr 4 2013, 12:56 PM)
No bulk, but can back order it. Refer to this thread: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2746371
Although that was the statement, I cannot judge all XSPC tubing, from what I know the stock kit tubing is shit, thats for sure but xspc got premium tubing too. Not sure how it performs, unless somebody wish to donate me some I can test & let you guys know the results laugh.gif
I own the premium one but no spare. sad.gif

This post has been edited by diaBoliQu3: Apr 4 2013, 01:23 PM
azilazwa
post Apr 15 2013, 11:28 AM

Enthusiast
835 posts

Any update on the durelene tube testing? i'm still considering both durelene and primochill..
TSinfernoaswen
post Apr 15 2013, 03:12 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
3,780 posts

QUOTE(azilazwa @ Apr 15 2013, 11:28 AM)
Any update on the durelene tube testing? i'm still considering both durelene and primochill..
durelene test is on post#12, I am going to redo the test again in a glass mug. I am afraid maybe the flask is reacting with the tubing because I am seeing similar results with primochill & this doesn't happen when the tubing is installed in a WC loop.

unequalteck, mind sharing how your primochill tubing is doing? so far got any changes or still clear?
azilazwa
post Apr 15 2013, 04:12 PM

Enthusiast
835 posts

QUOTE(infernoaswen @ Apr 15 2013, 03:12 PM)
durelene test is on post#12, I am going to redo the test again in a glass mug. I am afraid maybe the flask is reacting with the tubing because I am seeing similar results with primochill & this doesn't happen when the tubing is installed in a WC loop.

unequalteck, mind sharing how your primochill tubing is doing? so far got any changes or still clear?
Oo, i see. So the problem do exist in Primochill tubing too. Maybe its the test condition. If it doesnt happen on real wc loop, then i think Durelene is the best bang for the buck. Looks like i will choose Durelene.

ps: Why durelene doesnt produce colored tubing?
TSinfernoaswen
post Apr 15 2013, 04:37 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
3,780 posts

QUOTE(azilazwa @ Apr 15 2013, 04:12 PM)
Oo, i see. So the problem do exist in Primochill tubing too. Maybe its the test condition. If it doesnt happen on real wc loop, then i think Durelene is the best bang for the buck. Looks like i will choose Durelene.

ps: Why durelene doesnt produce colored tubing?
I am suspecting so...but I done my best to give a controlled test condition. Its either the test condition or maybe the outer tubing material absorbing water...because I submerge the tubing fully in water where as a WC loop, it consist of water in the inner tubing only... rclxub.gif

edit: yes durelene is best bang for the buck if it performs good. In fact its cheaper than other tubings also that you can find locally laugh.gif No idea why haha...they just dont produce tongue.gif

This post has been edited by infernoaswen: Apr 15 2013, 04:39 PM
unequalteck
post Apr 15 2013, 04:40 PM

Custom member title
2,678 posts

QUOTE(infernoaswen @ Apr 15 2013, 03:12 PM)

infernoaswen still clear until now. will take a picture of it after i done my uni stuff. my stock xspc kit tubing used for 4 weeks. so after primochill used for 4 weeks i will do a comparison for both
azilazwa
post Apr 15 2013, 04:43 PM

Enthusiast
835 posts

QUOTE(unequalteck @ Apr 15 2013, 04:40 PM)
infernoaswen still clear until now. will take a picture of it after i done my uni stuff. my stock xspc kit tubing used for 4 weeks. so after primochill used for 4 weeks i will do a comparison for both
If possible, please put ur temperature too ya. It is already concluded that stock xspc tubing is suck. Huhu
unequalteck
post Apr 15 2013, 04:49 PM

Custom member title
2,678 posts

QUOTE(azilazwa @ Apr 15 2013, 04:43 PM)
If possible, please put ur temperature too ya. It is already concluded that stock xspc tubing is suck. Huhu
the kit is very cheap with all the components inside, they want to cut cost haha no choice.
no changes in temp between 2 tubing
i oc i5 2500k 4.5Ghz @ 1.288v
max temp 62c
with primochill tubing also 62c
TSinfernoaswen
post Apr 17 2013, 10:51 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
3,780 posts

Update on durelene tubing testing.

So during my tests the tubing keep hazing & turning back to clear once I removed it from the water & let it dry for a day. I thought maybe the flask I was using is causing the problem, maybe the steel metal in the flask was reacting (highly unlikely but its possible). So I decided to run the test again to confirm this theory since there is no harm right? More testing is always a good thing brows.gif

So I placed two clear durelene tubing in two glasses with a drop of mayhems biocide. Reason for biocide is just to keep a controlled environment with netural ph although I already prove that the water ph is not causing this hazing to occur. I got 10ml anyways so no harm in adding 1 drop in each glass. Left glass water temps are 44'C & right is over 90'C plus. I cover it with a lid to slow down the water from getting cold fast. Sadly in less than 3hours both glass reaches around 30 plus degrees. I cant afford to keep topping up hot water in the glass (not so free la) neither do I have heater to keep it at constant temps so this will do haha...
user posted image

Left tubing is from the 44'C glass & middle is from the 90'C glass. Right tubing is brand new. As you can see from the results, the left tubing is just as clear as new & this is probably because the water cool too fast (I am guessing in 1hour the temps reached around 30'C already) so the effect where hazing occurs for that tubing is reduced. The tubing from the 90'C glass has some slight hazing to it as shown in the picture.

user posted image

Here a close up comparision:
user posted image

Now that I have proved my point that the flask I used was not the cause of hazing, I decided to test another theory that I have in mind. That is "could it be the tubing is absorbing water & turning cloudy because of that? Could it be at higher temps, the tubing gets softer thus allowing a better absorption of water in the material?"

I let both tubing that I used previously to dry for a day. Both turned back clear & then I put 1 clear piece in a glass of water (at room temp, at night got use aircon laugh.gif) for more than 48hours. This is the result:
user posted image

I did check the tubing at certain period of time when it was in water, I can see there was slight hazing occurring at a very slow speed. Comparing it in a dark background:
user posted image

So lets cancel out the previous theories I made on the possible cause of hazing:
PH lower than 7 is causing hazing
Flask metal is reacting with tubing
Tubing hazes when its heated up <--Not entirely true (I will explain why)...

Before I explain to you, I would just like to clarify that this hazing occurrence (or some might call it clouding? ) is different from plasticizer. Reason being is if plasticizer, when the tubing dries you can scrub off white powder from it but in my tests there wasn't any. When it dries it doesn't leave anything behind. I can't confirm this tubing doesn't plasticizer though, because who knows what other surprising findings we can find after running it for a very long time in warm water (I do not have the resources to do this or the time) so I do not want people to say later "you said this wont plasticizer, you lied to me!". I will definitely add a small piece of durelene to my loop once its done & will update a month or so if I remember in this thread.

Now based on my findings I believe the tubing hazes when it absorbs water. I proved this in the test where I left the tubing in room temp water for 48hours with biocide. Higher temps are just helping to speed up the hazing process, what I believe is happening is at higher temps the tubing gets soft and when this happens it can easily absorb water into the tubing material. This is probably why we can see the tubing hazes badly at 90'C and less at 44'C. But temps are not the main cause of it because in the previous test, when the tubing was warm I placed it in a cold iced water but there was no changes to it even after cooling it down. This is probably because it still contain water in the tubing material.

This is also probably why when people installed durelene in their WC rig it still remains clear because the inner part of tubing is the only material that is having contact with water so the absorbing rate is probably reduced. On top of that the outer part of tubing is in contact with air so maybe even if the tubing absorbed water it can evaporate through the outer layer. On top of that most cases inside is warm so maybe it has a higher rate of evaporation thus the tubing keep remaining clear in people builds. <-- This is just an assumption or my own theory...nothing proven though haha.

If anyone else have a better understanding or explanation on what the heck is going on then feel free to let us know because I ain't a chemical engineer. If you guys have other scenario/variables that you want me to test let me know & I will try to test it. I can't think of anything else...

This post has been edited by infernoaswen: Apr 17 2013, 11:01 PM
shin6619
post Apr 23 2013, 03:39 PM

老师
1,369 posts

QUOTE(infernoaswen @ Mar 30 2013, 04:17 PM)
Disclaimer:

All the information below is based on user’s feedback in overclock.net and may not be accurate at all. I will not be responsible on any outcome that is caused by this compilation as it ONLY acts as researched information I have gathered from various sources online. The suggested tubing that is plasticizer free may end up plasticizering your watercooling loop and I will not be responsible on that outcome.

As for today “company A” might be producing the best tubing with no problems, but as we all know most of the tubing is made by batches by mixing certain ingredients. Tomorrow the ingredients might change causing the tubing quality to drop & giving you problems. So please be aware of the date this information is published as every product that is made has its own batch on when it was made.

Also please be aware that we suspect the main cause of plasticizer is the tubing plastic leaching caused loop temperature but we can’t/ haven’t prove this yet. The suspected cause of this problem could be totally wrong. There is also some evidence suggesting killcoil speeds up tubing clouding and there is also another claim being made by another user saying biocide speeds up the tubing clouding. As mention previously, all this could be the possible cause but its not 100% confirmed.

I will leave the information here for you guys to make your own decision and also to educate what is “plasticizer” all about. I have no intention to promote any brand of tubing or company. My advice is to get a tubing that won’t plasticizer so that you can use it with dyes/coolant and your system will still look good. In the end of the day watercooling is mostly about the sexy aesthetic looks of it and this will also save your time in maintenance since you don’t need to keep replacing your tubing every month for it to look good. Do take note that there is cheap tubings available out there, you can also buy that and replace it every month if that is a cheaper option for you. The choice is yours, whatever floats your boat.

Solid tubing (copper) or acrylic tubing will not have such problems, so if you don’t want to come across any plasticizer issues, you might want to choose that path.

PS: I am sorry if there is any grammar errors or the post is difficult to understand. If anyone wishes to do some grammar editing feel free to edit it in a word file & PM me. I am busy with assignments and stuff, ain't nobody got time for grammar checking tongue.gif
Which tube better? Where to buy?
TSinfernoaswen
post Apr 23 2013, 04:27 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
3,780 posts

QUOTE(shin6619 @ Apr 23 2013, 03:39 PM)
Which tube better? Where to buy?
As I mention, I cant say which is the best tubing but based on people's feedback primochill advance lrt & durelene performs excellent. You can get those tubing from me or pristine. Other brands can get through apes or cyntrix...
shin6619
post Apr 23 2013, 05:10 PM

老师
1,369 posts

QUOTE(infernoaswen @ Apr 23 2013, 04:27 PM)
As I mention, I cant say which is the best tubing but based on people's feedback primochill advance lrt & durelene performs excellent. You can get those tubing from me or pristine. Other brands can get through apes or cyntrix...
Durelene 7/16 8/5 how much per ft? Clear. I interest..
TSinfernoaswen
post Apr 23 2013, 05:15 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
3,780 posts

According to qwe13 he been using XSPC premium tubing for the past 2months (as of today's date) & he havent encounter any plasticizer issue nor clouding...

Just sharing info from this forum users, those who used masterkleer tubing feel free to share your experiences too. nod.gif

This post has been edited by infernoaswen: Apr 25 2013, 12:09 AM
TSinfernoaswen
post Apr 30 2013, 06:53 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
3,780 posts

QUOTE(unequalteck @ Apr 30 2013, 02:30 PM)
user posted image

user posted image

XSPC stock tubing vs Primochill Advance LRT
both after 4 weeks usage
sharing some feedback from unequalteck smile.gif
azilazwa
post Jul 30 2013, 09:25 AM

Enthusiast
835 posts

This is my Durelene tubing after around 2-3 months of using. Dont know weather it is plasticizer or what. I'm using distilled water + mayhem pure silver.

user posted image

user posted image

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0144sec    0.40    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:05 PM