Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Dilation and curettage (D&C) Procedures, Let's Discuss

views

TSnujikabane
post Mar 24 2013, 08:03 AM, updated 10y ago

United We Stand
3,212 posts

Hi all.

I have read about Dilation and curettage (D&C) procedures, for pregnancy miscarriages.

However, no specific thread has been opened for this topic.
As such, I am opening this thread, and let's discuss.

To get the ball rolling, let me begin with this query.
Is D&C safe? And are there other alternatives to this treatment?
shaqie
post Mar 28 2013, 05:15 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

few years back, my wife and i were trying for almost a year....after that we consulted a gynae and we found out that she got some polyps ....and she had a d&c. the doctor called it spring cleaning of the womb.

after the D&C, now we are parents to 3 naughty kids.

basically for my wife was a day surgery....
TSnujikabane
post Mar 30 2013, 03:44 AM

United We Stand
3,212 posts

Happy to hear that D&C's one of the reasons your wife are able to get pregnant again. Anyway, did you do the things normally associated with condiment i.e not eating certain foods, and going for massages?
shaqie
post Mar 31 2013, 11:09 AM

Getting Started
194 posts

meaning? after the D&C pantang not to eat or do certain things? can't remember...need to check with wife...kakakakka
shaqie
post Mar 31 2013, 11:09 AM

Getting Started
194 posts

btw u planning to do a D&C?
TSnujikabane
post Mar 31 2013, 12:52 PM

United We Stand
3,212 posts

She did her D&C already, last week.

But now we are not sure whether to pantang or not. This is because we were told that miscarriage would need to be in confinement, just like a normal delivery.

She has not drink carbonated drinks, and ice. But other than that, she consumes everything. LOL dunno whether it is okay or not.
shaqie
post Mar 31 2013, 09:15 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

your for miscarriage? sorry to hear....

wife did like a mini confinement for a week.....but didn't follow as strict la...just make sure drink alot of those herbal thingy......
TSnujikabane
post Apr 3 2013, 11:25 AM

United We Stand
3,212 posts

^ Thanks for the words of encouragement smile.gif

Anyway, for those who underwent D&C procedures, is it okay to go for massages? Or is it advisable not to do it?
periwater
post Apr 4 2013, 01:30 AM

Casual
324 posts

QUOTE(nujikabane @ Apr 3 2013, 11:25 AM)
^ Thanks for the words of encouragement smile.gif

Anyway, for those who underwent D&C procedures, is it okay to go for massages? Or is it advisable not to do it?
Yup, absolutely no problem, but your wife might experienced some light bleeding after the D&C. So she can wait till her bleeding is over before having any massage. It is good to have massages for blood circulation and de-stress all the pent up emotions.

I didn't go through any confinement as I had my D&C in week 8 of my pregnancy. It was as though I missed a month of period only and didn't lose too much blood. I just avoided any cold drinks for a week. My mom boiled some herbal soup for me, that's all.

I was given 3 days MC after the procedure but I was like my normal self the next day. The procedure didn't have any side effect to my body. But the next thing you should watch out is when your wife will get her next period. My period didn't come for more than 90 days after D&C. So I went back to my gynae and discovered that my uterus didn't grow back evenly, therefore no period. I was prescribed with some medicine and after that my period was back to normal.

Hope this helps and take good care of your wife smile.gif
FluffyTee
post Apr 4 2013, 04:58 PM

Casual
339 posts

D+C is not a 100% safe procedure. It used to clean the uterus from unwanted stuf.. Eg misscariage, retained product of conception, Endometrial sampling.. Etc etc..
It is however a blind tehnique, therefore the risk of "underdoing or overdoing" is there...
Under doing will require repeated procedure or worst cause infection. Over doing may lead to scaring or worst, perforation of the entire uterus.
Though it is the gold standard for aborting 1st trimester pregnancy, there are alternative medical drugs that can be used to induce abortion. Unfortunately malaysia gov has banned some of these drugs making medical drug treatment difficult with lower success rate and higher risk.
periwater
post Apr 5 2013, 07:09 PM

Casual
324 posts

QUOTE(FluffyTee @ Apr 4 2013, 04:58 PM)
D+C is not a 100% safe procedure. It used to clean the uterus from unwanted stuf.. Eg misscariage, retained product of conception, Endometrial sampling.. Etc etc..
It is however a blind tehnique, therefore the risk of "underdoing or overdoing" is there...
Under doing will require repeated procedure or worst cause infection. Over doing may lead to scaring or worst, perforation of the entire uterus.
Though it is the gold standard for aborting 1st trimester pregnancy, there are alternative medical drugs that can be used to induce abortion. Unfortunately malaysia gov has banned some of these drugs making medical drug treatment difficult with lower success rate and higher risk.
There isn't a 100% safe procedure, even a simple dental procedure is not 100% safe. You may have risk of infection as well. D&C is considered one of the safest procedure by WHO and rarely have complications.

The most natural way to terminate is via spontaneous abortion whereby your body realizes that your pregnancy is not viable anymore. Therefore it will miscarriage spontaneously by having a period. But this method, you do not when when your body will miscarriage and your period will be heavier than usual. So it distrupts your routine or your work when it happens.
TSnujikabane
post Apr 12 2013, 01:01 PM

United We Stand
3,212 posts

QUOTE(periwater @ Apr 4 2013, 01:30 AM)
Yup, absolutely no problem, but your wife might experienced some light bleeding after the D&C. So she can wait till her bleeding is over before having any massage. It is good to have massages for blood circulation and de-stress all the pent up emotions.

I didn't go through any confinement as I had my D&C in week 8 of my pregnancy. It was as though I missed a month of period only and didn't lose too much blood. I just avoided any cold drinks for a week. My mom boiled some herbal soup for me, that's all.

I was given 3 days MC after the procedure but I was like my normal self the next day. The procedure didn't have any side effect to my body. But the next thing you should watch out is when your wife will get her next period. My period didn't come for more than 90 days after D&C. So I went back to my gynae and discovered that my uterus didn't grow back evenly, therefore no period. I was prescribed with some medicine and after that my period was back to normal.

Hope this helps and take good care of your wife smile.gif
At first, I thought that D&C is not a normal occurrence. However, it seems that this procedure is pretty common, and that the procedure itself is not painful (except for the painkiller injection, which is an irony, really).

I was told about the period cycle too. Will check with my wife with regards to this smile.gif Her period was regular prior to the pregnancy, and as such, it should be easy to determine whether she has any problems with her period.

TSnujikabane
post Apr 12 2013, 01:05 PM

United We Stand
3,212 posts

QUOTE(FluffyTee @ Apr 4 2013, 04:58 PM)
Indeed that Govt has banned some of the drugs. However, for those who wish to take drugs (as opposed to go through D&C), the gynae will prescribed drugs that 'will cause miscarriages'.

I am of the opinion that D&C is a better choice, rather than taking drugs which were not meant spesifically to induce miscarriages.
FluffyTee
post Apr 12 2013, 09:04 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(nujikabane @ Apr 12 2013, 01:05 PM)
Indeed that Govt has banned some of the drugs. However, for those who wish to take drugs (as opposed to go through D&C), the gynae will prescribed drugs that 'will cause miscarriages'.

I am of the opinion that D&C is a better choice, rather than taking drugs which were not meant spesifically to induce miscarriages.
Gynaes are left with incomplete regime/set of drugs to properly induced a complete medical abortion.
As a result of omitting some drugs required, many of these medical abortion lead to incomplete abortion, which requires a D&C anyways.

But ofcoz there are certain "clinics/pharmacies" manage to obtain smuggled drugs into malaysia and resell it to ppl. but its really risky as no1 knows how genuine these drugs are.
TSnujikabane
post Apr 12 2013, 11:54 PM

United We Stand
3,212 posts

^ I can't remember the exact term, but I think it is 'off label drugs'. It simply means that the pharmaceutical companies are absolved from any claims made form the patients, should anything goes wrong,

The product itself may be legit (aka produced by credible companies) though.
ectt
post May 2 2013, 01:22 AM

Regular
1,049 posts

yes, interested in knowing what is the normal dilation size
TSnujikabane
post May 10 2013, 10:44 PM

United We Stand
3,212 posts

^ I do not suppose there's any cutting of the outer skin done, right?
Flora_Cat
post Sep 4 2013, 07:46 AM

2 posts

Anyone know how much does d&c procedure cost in kl hospital?
chong82
post Nov 18 2013, 05:57 PM

Getting Started
246 posts

Let say if wife not opting for D&C, will the miscarriage happen naturally? I mean like will there be bleeding to flush out the Yolk sack?
alice_0428
post Aug 26 2014, 09:18 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(nujikabane @ Mar 31 2013, 12:52 PM)
She did her D&C already, last week.

But now we are not sure whether to pantang or not. This is because we were told that miscarriage would need to be in confinement, just like a normal delivery.

She has not drink carbonated drinks, and ice. But other than that, she consumes everything. LOL dunno whether it is okay or not.
Could you let me know which hospital ur wife did D&C? how much does it cost?

thanks

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0249sec    0.39    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:11 PM