17 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Bachelor of Jurisprudence (External), from Universiti Malaya, need some advice

views

TSThE-1cY
post Mar 20 2013, 02:13 PM, updated 7y ago

Casual
302 posts

A friend of mine recommended this programme to me. He says its a lot cheaper than other alternatives such as University of London (external) and only need to attend school at weekends and take exams every year.

I understand that we still need to take CLP after completing this programme, but no choice, since my stpm result which is just above 2.00 CGPA would not ensure me a spot in the Bachelor of Laws course which is a full time course.

I searched this forum for quite some time and yea, its not a popular course and not much info can be found. Here's what I uncovered from the net:
- Fees: 10k with tutor/ 7k without tutor
- Course length: 3 years
- Exam: Must be answered in BM
- Need to take CLP to be called to the Malaysian Bar as a qualified lawyer
- Granted access to Universiti Malaya's facilities, e.g law library
- Need a letter from employer to state that my current job is related to the field of law

I need some verification on the above info. Btw, how do I apply for this course and when is the deadline for application? Because its not available on http://upu.mohe.gov.my/ and the closest programme offered on the web to this course is SARJANA MUDA UNDANG-UNDANG# and I assume it's the Bachelor of Laws (LLB).

I guess I have to work hard from now by self to at least to be able to become a lawyer, so guys, can give some advice to me?

This post has been edited by ThE-1cY: Mar 20 2013, 03:16 PM
poobalanc
post Oct 2 2013, 10:43 PM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(ThE-1cY @ Mar 20 2013, 02:13 PM)
A friend of mine recommended this programme to me. He says its a lot cheaper than other alternatives such as University of London (external) and only need to attend school at weekends and take exams every year.

I understand that we still need to take CLP after completing this programme, but no choice, since my stpm result which is just above 2.00 CGPA would not ensure me a spot in the Bachelor of Laws course which is a full time course.

I searched this forum for quite some time and yea, its not a popular course and not much info can be found. Here's what I uncovered from the net:
- Fees: 10k with tutor/ 7k without tutor
- Course length: 3 years
- Exam: Must be answered in BM
- Need to take CLP to be called to the Malaysian Bar as a qualified lawyer
- Granted access to Universiti Malaya's facilities, e.g law library
- Need a letter from employer to state that my current job is related to the field of law
I need some verification on the above info. Btw, how do I apply for this course and when is the deadline for application? Because its not available on  http://upu.mohe.gov.my/ and the closest programme offered on the web to this course is SARJANA MUDA UNDANG-UNDANG# and I assume it's the Bachelor of Laws (LLB).
I guess I have to work hard from now by self to at least to be able to become a lawyer, so guys, can give some advice to me?
Bro, the external program, will not be listed in UPU. please check out, ads about the course on papers or in UM LAW website. You have to buy the form, from the faculty itself.
chiahau
post Oct 2 2013, 11:28 PM

Fatthau StalKer
All Stars
14,074 posts

This degree, you need to go to UM and ask.

The staffs can give you decent answer.

Their faculty of law also have some information online, though I would say, BoJ is a not really a popular option among student.

So far, only 1 or 2 forumers here are doing BoJ instead of UoL
TSThE-1cY
post Oct 3 2013, 11:30 PM

Casual
302 posts

QUOTE(poobalanc @ Oct 2 2013, 10:43 PM)
Bro, the external program, will not be listed in UPU. please check out, ads about the course on papers or in UM LAW website. You have to buy the form, from the faculty itself.
QUOTE(chiahau @ Oct 2 2013, 11:28 PM)
This degree, you need to go to UM and ask.

The staffs can give you decent answer.

Their faculty of law also have some information online, though I would say, BoJ is a not really a popular option among student.

So far, only 1 or 2 forumers here are doing BoJ instead of UoL
Guys, I already got the offer letter from UM and will be going there by end of this month. Thanks for replying though... rolleyes.gif
TheCagedBird
post Oct 4 2013, 01:50 AM

On my way
558 posts

QUOTE(ThE-1cY @ Oct 3 2013, 11:30 PM)
Guys, I already got the offer letter from UM and will be going there by end of this month. Thanks for replying though... rolleyes.gif
This is cool, so mind sharing the course structure, and all that? I'm sure many people would like to know about that
Irzani
post Oct 4 2013, 02:01 AM

Just you know why .. why u and i ...
2,961 posts

Can you share more information on how to apply? Is there any class in weekends?

Tq
cnvery
post Oct 4 2013, 11:14 AM

Regular
1,831 posts

I do e-mailed them, they said the final exam is in BM and English dual language mode.
TSThE-1cY
post Oct 4 2013, 01:15 PM

Casual
302 posts

QUOTE(TheCagedBird @ Oct 4 2013, 01:50 AM)
This is cool, so mind sharing the course structure, and all that? I'm sure many people would like to know about that
It's a lot cheaper than private universities. Total fees is about RM 10k maximum if you take all classes, you can choose not to take if you think you are able to do it on your own. (RM 3k for first year+ RM 1k for each subsequent year+ RM 150 for each class). The course must be completed within 3 to 7 years. Students must pass all 13 law subjects + HE + TITAS and MUET (at least band 4) to graduate. Once a student graduates, he/ she is not a qualified lawyer yet. The student has to take CLP (Certificate in Legal Practice) on their own just like UoL. But unlike LLB offered by UM, all students who graduated successfully are qualified lawyers but their course duration is minimum 4 years which is one year longer than BoJ. More information here.

TLDR version: If your STPM results is not that good, don't have much money to spend on private universities, but want to do law, BoJ could be the right choice for you. But, one thing, you must be very hardworking once you take BoJ because you are on your own, take some classes at a cost, no assignments for you, just pure EXAM and have to take CLP after graduation. Good thing is you get a chance to study at Universiti Malaya and gain access to its law library. (The best thing about this, I only got CGPA 2++ on my STPM, I know I messed up, but I also can get in this course and study law at UM. A very good chance for anyone to study again.)

QUOTE(Irzani @ Oct 4 2013, 02:01 AM)
Can you share more information on how to apply? Is there any class in weekends?

Tq
You can go to the faculty of law at UM to get the brochure for this course and the application forms. Or you can send them a letter to request the forms. The registration for this year is closed and will open next year around March.

I'm not sure whether there are classes in the weekends. My schedule for the first week is full with classes, from 9am to 5pm each day.

QUOTE(cnvery @ Oct 4 2013, 11:14 AM)
I do e-mailed them, they said the final exam is in BM and English dual language mode.
Yep.

I'll update you guys again once the course is started, just giving my 2 cents.

This post has been edited by ThE-1cY: Oct 4 2013, 01:17 PM
cnvery
post Oct 4 2013, 06:11 PM

Regular
1,831 posts

UOL actually also pure exam.

Hence, same as UM BOJ.

stephen84
post Dec 5 2013, 11:56 AM

Getting Started
181 posts

I thought there were no classes? Students have to study on their own?
stephen84
post Jan 2 2014, 05:14 PM

Getting Started
181 posts

no update from ts.
AdrianYoung
post Jan 11 2014, 12:24 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(ThE-1cY @ Oct 4 2013, 01:15 PM)
It's a lot cheaper than private universities. Total fees is about RM 10k maximum if you take all classes, you can choose not to take if you think you are able to do it on your own. (RM 3k for first year+ RM 1k for each subsequent year+ RM 150 for each class). The course must be completed within 3 to 7 years. Students must pass all 13 law subjects + HE + TITAS and MUET (at least band 4) to graduate. Once a student graduates, he/ she is not a qualified lawyer yet. The student has to take CLP (Certificate in Legal Practice) on their own just like UoL. But unlike LLB offered by UM, all students who graduated successfully are qualified lawyers but their course duration is minimum 4 years which is one year longer than BoJ. More information here.

TLDR version: If your STPM results is not that good, don't have much money to spend on private universities, but want to do law, BoJ could be the right choice for you. But, one thing, you must be very hardworking once you take BoJ because you are on your own, take some classes at a cost, no assignments for you, just pure EXAM and have to take CLP after graduation. Good thing is you get a chance to study at Universiti Malaya and gain access to its law library. (The best thing about this, I only got CGPA 2++ on my STPM, I know I messed up, but I also can get in this course and study law at UM. A very good chance for anyone to study again.)
You can go to the faculty of law at UM to get the brochure for this course and the application forms. Or you can send them a letter to request the forms. The registration for this year is closed and will open next year around March.

I'm not sure whether there are classes in the weekends. My schedule for the first week is full with classes, from 9am to 5pm each day.
Yep.
I'll update you guys again once the course is started, just giving my 2 cents.
I wanna know the coming intake of this course. I have called the UM law faculty and asked the officers. They told me the application form will be released in March 2014. How much is the application form of BOJ? I need to buy pin number at BSN to apply this course online as IPTA or not? And as I knw this course doesn't provide any teaching class right? [Hope you can reply me. Thanks!]
TheCagedBird
post Jan 12 2014, 02:59 AM

On my way
558 posts

QUOTE(AdrianYoung @ Jan 11 2014, 12:24 PM)
I wanna know the coming intake of this course. I have called the UM law faculty and asked the officers. They told me the application form will be released in March 2014. How much is the application form of BOJ? I need to buy pin number at BSN to apply this course online as IPTA or not? And as I knw this course doesn't provide any teaching class right? [Hope you can reply me. Thanks!]
You don't have to buy the pin, just go to UM Law faculty building to BUY that form
TSThE-1cY
post Jan 12 2014, 08:46 PM

Casual
302 posts

QUOTE(AdrianYoung @ Jan 11 2014, 12:24 PM)
Just buy the form from the office. Yes there are classes but you have to pay. RM 600 for one law subject, total 5 classes over 5 months.
stephen84
post Jan 13 2014, 06:00 PM

Getting Started
181 posts

need to buy the form from office? but I am not living in KL. so i need to travel all the way?
AdrianYoung
post Jan 14 2014, 12:43 AM

23 posts

QUOTE(ThE-1cY @ Jan 12 2014, 08:46 PM)
Just buy the form from the office. Yes there are classes but you have to pay. RM 600 for one law subject, total 5 classes over 5 months.
I see. notworthy.gif Anyone can apply this course and sure will be selected to study Jurisprudence?
TSThE-1cY
post Jan 14 2014, 09:10 AM

Casual
302 posts

QUOTE(stephen84 @ Jan 13 2014, 06:00 PM)
need to buy the form from office? but I am not living in KL. so i need to travel all the way?
You can send a letter with the money to UM law faculty to request for the form.

QUOTE(AdrianYoung @ Jan 14 2014, 12:43 AM)
I see. notworthy.gif Anyone can apply this course and sure will be selected to study Jurisprudence?
I'm not sure about this. There are a few students who had to appeal before getting in.

This post has been edited by ThE-1cY: Jan 14 2014, 09:14 AM
AdrianYoung
post Jan 14 2014, 10:42 AM

23 posts

QUOTE(ThE-1cY @ Jan 14 2014, 09:10 AM)
You can send a letter with the money to UM law faculty to request for the form.
I'm not sure about this. There are a few students who had to appeal before getting in.
icon_idea.gif Thank you so much! You are Year 1 student of Jurisprudence? Actually I wanna apply this course last year but I missed it cry.gif I called UM officer and she told me that the entry requirements are SPM 5 credits and STPM 2 principals include Pengajian Am...
TSThE-1cY
post Jan 14 2014, 01:43 PM

Casual
302 posts

QUOTE(AdrianYoung @ Jan 14 2014, 10:42 AM)
icon_idea.gif Thank you so much! You are Year 1 student of Jurisprudence? Actually I wanna apply this course last year but I missed it  cry.gif  I called UM officer and she told me that the entry requirements are SPM 5 credits and STPM 2 principals include Pengajian Am...
Yes I am in my first year. There are only 2 fresh STPM fresh graduates including me. Others are working adults, some in professional fields. The entry requirements are actually required by LPQB to take CLP exam after completion of BOJ.
stephen84
post Jan 14 2014, 05:28 PM

Getting Started
181 posts

Hi ThE-1cY, thanks for the reply. How are you coping with the course? Have you already taken first year exam? Currently are you working or you just focus on BOJ

17 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0239sec    0.45    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:31 PM