> Ducting hidden in plaster celing, work flow

views

TShelven
post Feb 19 2013, 03:15 PM, updated 12y ago

Doko Online
919 posts

Hi all, a credit to philipcs for using this picture before everything

Attached Image

As seen in the picture, the ducting is hidden in the plaster ceiling. Red line is indicating the ducting pipe. What is the work flow to have this outcome?

I've asked the plaster ceiling guy, he says that I need to install the hood first before he can create the plaster to hide my ducting pipe. Should I install the hood first before everything else even my kitchen cabinet is not ready? Is there a standard measurement from ground I should install my hood? Im using Fotile EH13 hood.

Please help, thanks notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
shiinkuro31
post Feb 19 2013, 04:00 PM

Chef of Straw Hat Pirates
1,259 posts

He asked you to install first because sometimes he need to do on-site adjustment even he already got dimension of your hood.IMO
TShelven
post Feb 19 2013, 04:26 PM

Doko Online
919 posts

So can I like, install the plaster ceiling, then install the ducting and hood, then as the plaster ceiling guy to install the cover to hide the ducting from hood to the ceiling? Or I must at least drill the ducting hole and install the ducting pipe before the plaster ceiling?
phoenix69
post Feb 19 2013, 04:41 PM

Regular
1,836 posts

If you install the duct then only the plaster ceiling and the plaster ceiling duct cover then the plaster guy can do all one shot.
If you install the duct after the plaster ceiling, the plaster ceiling guy hafta wait and do twice ceiling one day, duct cover another.
Better the former than the latter option (happier plaster ceiling guy).
Just make sure you get your positioning and location right.

TShelven
post Feb 19 2013, 05:35 PM

Doko Online
919 posts

QUOTE(phoenix69 @ Feb 19 2013, 04:41 PM)
If you install the duct then only the plaster ceiling and the plaster ceiling duct cover then the plaster guy can do all one shot.
If you install the duct after the plaster ceiling, the plaster ceiling  guy hafta wait and do twice ceiling one day, duct cover another.
Better the former than the latter option (happier plaster ceiling guy).
Just make sure you get your positioning and location right.
Erm ya that's true. If I go for install the duct > plaster ceiling flow, which means duct + hoob > plaster ceiling + duct cover. rclxms.gif
I hope I don't get any misunderstanding because I've never use a hood before, my hood still in the warehouse.

Any hood and ducting installer please PM me your installation price, my house is in Setia Alam, the kitchen size looks exactly the same as the picture, my hood model is Fotile EH13

weikee
post Feb 19 2013, 06:14 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

You also need to know the hood cover can go up to what height. Some hood only give low cover and house owner need to do box up. You don't want to have Plaster Ceiling too low just because to cover the hood ducting
setheo
post Apr 8 2014, 08:40 AM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(weikee @ Feb 19 2013, 06:14 PM)
You also need to know the hood cover can go up to what height. Some hood only give low cover and house owner need to do box up. You don't want to have Plaster Ceiling too low just because to cover the hood ducting
Can we get those box up aluminium for extension?
Where can we get them?
wa1k3r
post Apr 8 2014, 10:05 AM

Getting Started
96 posts

Install the ducting, drop it to roughly where your hood is going to be, leave it there
Plaster guy install ceiling & box up
When ur kitchen ready, install hood
You can trim the ducting to right height to fit hood (typpically 650mm-700mm from hob)
The problem with this setup is, ur duct/hood installer came to make 2 trips..personally i'd rather he make 2 trips than the ceiling guy..
Either way, someone needs to make 2 trips.
Dont install hood first before your kitchen ready..its messy and in the way of other works
gingerman2408
post Apr 14 2014, 10:18 AM

Getting Started
102 posts

This may be a stupid question but..when you buy the hood does it come with the ducting pipe? If not, where do you buy it from?
akira982443
post Apr 14 2014, 10:42 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(gingerman2408 @ Apr 14 2014, 10:18 AM)
This may be a stupid question but..when you buy the hood does it come with the ducting pipe? If not, where do you buy it from?
Most Fotile models comes with the ducting pipe. Rinnai model doesn't include them.

i think the sequence should be like this

Bore the hole-> install the cover and the ducting pipe-> Plaster Celling-> install the hood

This post has been edited by akira982443: Apr 14 2014, 10:58 AM
YabaDaba
post Dec 27 2016, 12:42 PM

35 posts

QUOTE(setheo @ Apr 8 2014, 08:40 AM)
Can we get those box up aluminium for extension?
Where can we get them?
I have the same question. Plan to have the duct extended up to plaster ceiling.

Can anyone post a HOW-TOs or recommend installer who can do that?

TIA

This post has been edited by YabaDaba: Dec 27 2016, 01:31 PM
SUSadvocado
post Dec 29 2017, 09:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(helven @ Feb 19 2013, 04:26 PM)
So can I like, install the plaster ceiling, then install the ducting and hood, then as the plaster ceiling guy to install the cover to hide the ducting from hood to the ceiling? Or I must at least drill the ducting hole and install the ducting pipe before the plaster ceiling?
best way is to install the duct & hose and pull the hose above where the hood will be located then install the plaster.

once everything is done you install the hood then make an opening above and pull the hose down and connect to the hood. the top cover of the hood will cover up the hole. but there will be dust going into the hood so best is do a mock up to get the location then cut open the plaster pull down the hose clean up all the dust then install the hood.
SUSadvocado
post Dec 29 2017, 10:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(YabaDaba @ Dec 27 2016, 12:42 PM)
I have the same question. Plan to have the duct extended up to plaster ceiling.

Can anyone post a HOW-TOs or recommend installer who can do that?

TIA
hi, have you done the ducting? how did you hide it? won't the ceiling be very low if you need to lower it by 8-10"?
SUSadvocado
post Dec 29 2017, 10:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(akira982443 @ Apr 14 2014, 10:42 AM)
Most Fotile models comes with the ducting pipe. Rinnai model doesn't include them.

i think the sequence should be like this

Bore the hole-> install the cover and the ducting pipe-> Plaster Celling-> install the hood
hi, just wondering why aluminum duct cover is much more expensive the stainless steel?

i bought a Rubine aluminum duct cover but accidentally dropped it and had small dent i can't restore it fully with a hammer. dropped it from like 50cm height...

also anyone know why the cover frame has small hole like for screw (up/down/left/right) to go in but actually don't think it's for screw? won't rain water go in and stuck there?
qwerty223
post Jan 14 2018, 01:49 AM

On my way
670 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Dec 29 2017, 10:03 PM)
hi, just wondering why aluminum duct cover is much more expensive the stainless steel?

i bought a Rubine aluminum duct cover but accidentally dropped it and had small dent i can't restore it fully with a hammer. dropped it from like 50cm height...

also anyone know why the cover frame has small hole like for screw (up/down/left/right) to go in but actually don't think it's for screw? won't rain water go in and stuck there?
Cold work your dent with a piece of wood backing after some heating, should get better result.

Good grade aluminium, those that can form that dome shape is usually more expansive than comparable steel.

It should have screw holes, why not? you can plug it with sealant if you dont like to see it.
SUSadvocado
post Jan 14 2018, 11:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(qwerty223 @ Jan 14 2018, 01:49 AM)
Cold work your dent with a piece of wood backing after some heating, should get better result.

Good grade aluminium, those that can form that dome shape is usually more expansive than comparable steel.

It should have screw holes, why not? you can plug it with sealant if you dont like to see it.
hi, the strange part with those holes is the hole only exist on the outer side of the frame inner side of the same point doesn't have hole, so i don't think it's designed to screw on?

i'm just wondering with those holes when rain will it cause water build up or something.

also if mount the duct on metal plates/windows, will rain water sip in from the edges since there is not rubber gasket around it.
qwerty223
post Jan 14 2018, 11:53 AM

On my way
670 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 14 2018, 11:01 AM)
hi, the strange part with those holes is the hole only exist on the outer side of the frame inner side of the same point doesn't have hole, so i don't think it's designed to screw on?

i'm just wondering with those holes when rain will it cause water build up or something.

also if mount the duct on metal plates/windows, will rain water sip in from the edges since there is not rubber gasket around it.
do you have pictures?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0153sec    0.29    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:46 PM