Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hardware WTA Self built desktop or prebuilt, Pros and cons

views

TSascension278
post Feb 10 2013, 01:29 PM, updated 12y ago

Casual
330 posts

Hi, wanna ask. A Self built desktp Is Cheaper....but Are the Parts Under warranty? Cos Prebuilt Desktops Got Warranty d...family Planning to Get one And Is Concerned Abt Warranty Issues

This post has been edited by ascension278: Feb 10 2013, 01:29 PM
charlie168
post Feb 10 2013, 01:37 PM

On my way
658 posts

Self-build (custom build)
----------------------------
- Cheaper
- Customizable
- Easier upgrade
- Warranty normally 1 year to the shop (harddisk might be 2yrs)

Pre-build (I assuming its branded eg. HP/Acer)
----------------------------
- Expensive
- Warranty can be 1-2yrs / Onsite / Phone support
- Normally very tight design of the motherboard and casing (sometime not much space for GC uprgade)
- Casing look much compact (IMHO)

End of the day, depend on yourself and budget. Branded aint necessary better. Custom then you better find a shop which friend has experience with and nice technicians, else it might be a nightmare to claim warranty. (Ask and write down on the receipt which is warranty how long .. black/white)

Good luck
~min~
post Feb 10 2013, 01:37 PM

SUN AND SUMMER!!
1,031 posts

sure got warranty. normally every part got 1 or 2 year manufacturer warranty. if broken during that time, just send back the part to where you buy.
aminpro
post Feb 11 2013, 05:37 AM

Getting Started
191 posts

-- Custom --
Cheaper
Choose each part yourself(brand etc.)
More warranty flexibility( Mobo usually get 3 years )
Warranty is separate from shop. Just go directly to each service center.

-- Prebuild --
Technical Support
Technician repaired
Compact Casing

I think a custom one is better... but it's just my opinion lah.

This post has been edited by aminpro: Feb 11 2013, 05:37 AM
Cable707
post Feb 11 2013, 10:02 AM

I'm On My Journey
5,263 posts

Custom build FTW!!

Anyway,it's all depends on the purpose,tho..if you're looking for a gaming-enviroment PC,a good self-build PC will definitely much worth it.. wink.gif
MisterWhite
post Feb 11 2013, 10:26 AM

17 posts

custom build ftw for sure.i use my customize rig n veryX1000000 satisfy with it performance.about the warranty,every part will have it own warinty smile.gif
k!nex
post Feb 11 2013, 11:10 AM

Restless stars
3,327 posts

If you cannot live without the rig for like a week or 2, then choose those pre-built rig from Dell.
Custom rig warranty can take weeks .
Dell warranty is next day on-site support.
sepah98
post Feb 11 2013, 06:33 PM

"don't let pinoy mid"-Albert Einstein
581 posts

self built..
-cheap/affordable
-suitable for budget
self built also get warranty.. only how long it takes for rma only..
marfccy
post Feb 11 2013, 10:39 PM

Le Ponyland!!!
4,104 posts

Self built
- cheaper
- more powerful parts per RM spent
- you have the choice of which parts to get
- if any part failed, you just RMA that particular part

Custom
- excellent warranty service (applicable only for Dell, the rest not sure)
- less hassle of picking the parts
- compact built
- if any part fail, youll have to send the entire com for replacement or technician to fix
SUSMatrix
post Feb 11 2013, 10:46 PM

King of Char Siew!
15,022 posts

If your family members knows nothing much about computers, just buy a pre-buld like DELL. Any support issues, call DELL. And remember to buy the on-site support warranty. No headace for the family. Everyone happy.

Custom build, if parts spoilt, your PC will be down for 1-2 months. Is that acceptable to your family? Think along this line.

diaBoliQu3
post Feb 11 2013, 11:53 PM

☆ Untitled ☆
5,630 posts

QUOTE(ascension278 @ Feb 10 2013, 01:29 PM)
Hi, wanna ask. A Self built desktp Is Cheaper....but Are the Parts Under warranty? Cos Prebuilt Desktops Got Warranty d...family Planning to Get one And Is Concerned Abt Warranty Issues
-Yup, DiY PC are cheaper. All parts under warranty. Depend on the brand and hardware.
-Dell pre-built PC have the best warranty.
-What kind of family? I'm a DiY'er and only me know about computer in my family. I'm at Miri, my hometown is Kuching. Sometime other family member have problem with my PC at hometown and it's hard to troubleshoot from far.
-Do you mind waiting for RMA? Sometime took weeks, sometime took ages. For a person who can't wait, get a pre-built Dell.
-DiY PC should have better spec for similar/ almost similar price with pre-built PC.

Conclusion:
-Willing to wait for RMA, self troubleshoot, go DiY.
-Want peace of mind and doesn't want to think too much, go for pre-built Dell.

notworthy.gif
Zyi
post Feb 12 2013, 12:51 AM

Getting Started
169 posts

QUOTE(ascension278 @ Feb 10 2013, 01:29 PM)
Basically what prebuild comes with is after-sales-services, like what most companies need nowadays. However, it's more expensive and way way less customizations. Go for self build desktop bro, you won't regret. ;D
TSascension278
post Feb 12 2013, 12:58 PM

Casual
330 posts

for myself I don't mind having a own-built desktop since I like to troubleshoot and DIY.....but my smaller brothers are the one mainly using it and they cannot live with a PC for a few months XD....no choice but to go for dell.....thanks for the advices!
Hilmax
post Feb 13 2013, 10:24 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,040 posts

QUOTE(ascension278 @ Feb 12 2013, 12:58 PM)
for myself I don't mind having a own-built desktop since I like to troubleshoot and DIY.....but my smaller brothers are the one mainly using it and they cannot live with a PC for a few months XD....no choice but to go for dell.....thanks for the advices!
Consider taking normal size case built as the slim one, you gonna having nightmare to find it spare part.
diaBoliQu3
post Feb 13 2013, 11:20 AM

☆ Untitled ☆
5,630 posts

QUOTE(ascension278 @ Feb 12 2013, 12:58 PM)
Nice choice... I also pick Dell if I have extra cash rather then give DiY rig to my brother.

QUOTE(Hilmax @ Feb 13 2013, 10:24 AM)
Consider taking normal size case built as the slim one, you gonna having nightmare to find it spare part.
+1. I was going to advise this too. Too many case where Dell PC having difficulties to be upgrade as the GPU and PSU size gonna be pain in the ass. User always think of slimmer the better but the fact is slimmer the harder. biggrin.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0177sec    0.20    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:43 AM