Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> PSP-2000 does support 64GB., Does PSP support 32GB above?

views

TSPanties
post Jan 31 2013, 01:39 PM, updated 10y ago

8 posts

Hi PSP fans.

Just sharing... blush.gif

I own PSP-2000 and I been using 8GB Memory Stick Duo Pro.

2 days ago, I wanted to try to upgrade my PSP to maximum memory available.

Google up, and found out that most PSP-2000 and PSP-3000 only support up to 32GB! It can't go higher, (even if it does, their forum say that you cannot copy games from your PC to your PSP as it cannot detect the memory card)
the MAX is either 2 X 16GB MicroSD or 1 X MicroSD. They say that PSP cannot 32GB+32GB! It detect only 32GB!

Out of curiousity, I went and bought from Lelong:
http://www.lelong.com.my/dual-slot-micro-s...7-01-Sale-I.htm

Got it yesterday morning, and I also bought
http://www.lelong.com.my/sandisk-microsdhc...7-01-Sale-I.htm

I also make sure that it is Class-10, MAX Speed for MicroSD (At the point of writting this)

So, I put...
1 X 64GB MicroSD into Slot1 of Memory Stuck Pro Duo, and slot into my PSP.

I also format it using PSP successfully, it shows 59GB!
(BTW, Im using 6.60 OFW as of this writting, but Im sure Homebrew will work too)

When I plug into my Win7 64bit, it detects it and place it like a normal drive (I dont know why other forum say it could NOT!)
So I copied all my MP3, Games, Movies, Songs... inside! until I used 58GB! I also Defrag the drive using AUSLOGIC DEFRAGMENTATION.

Conclusion, My PSP-2000 has 64GB without any lag/issue. No problem at all. I am VERY HAPPY! thumbup.gif
I thought of sharing with you PSP fans, just incase if you want to buy more SPACE, it is possible.

I can NOT *GUARANTEED* that it may work for you, but sharing my ideas with you guys, could maybe open possibilities for you all.

*Sharing is caring* rclxms.gif
TSPanties
post Jan 31 2013, 04:00 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(seiluen @ Jan 31 2013, 02:25 PM)
Serious ?
Yeap... I just test it.. Works like no problem only.. @@
TSPanties
post Jan 31 2013, 04:02 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(deyamato @ Jan 31 2013, 02:47 PM)
i dont really like extension memory like this , cause happen 1 application u can see 2 in xmb ; if u know what i mean.
Yeap.. that is IF you use 2 slots of the MicroSD..

I only use 1 64GB microSD... not the 32GB microSD X2, which.. chances of corrupt.. is there.. =)
but 1 64GB, should be okay... I thinnk.. I need to use several months, to see if this is true.. =)

TSPanties
post Jan 31 2013, 04:07 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(hakimlaw @ Jan 31 2013, 03:23 PM)
Please try 64gb+64gb...  brows.gif
Lol.. I cannot laa.. over budget.. tongue.gif
But I did test 64GB and 32GB(from my Note2), just to see..
at 1st, it only see 59 GB (because I format it earlier) with all my apps/games inside..
So now I reformat it using the PSP... .. it give me 88GB (in windows7, it shows 89.3GB),
I can see "MP_ROOT", "MUSIC", "PICTURE" , "PSP" and "VIDEO", after format.. (Default),

I "Guess" it can support but I don't plan on running Dual MicroSD..

As Previous POST said.. it can corrupt your data and APP... if one of the MICROSD fail..

So I stick with 64GB!
TSPanties
post Jan 31 2013, 04:16 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(WooTz @ Jan 31 2013, 03:44 PM)
No offense, but the PSP already has a successor for over a year.

It's called PlayStation Vita. It even supports ehem ehem if you're into that kinda thing.

Instead of merely upgrading the memory of the obsolete PSP. How about spending that money for a superior console?

Really can't brain why Japanese would do that as well, PSP still outsells the Vita. It's like you guys don't give a fucuk about next gen and better games.

/rant
PSP VITA - Okay, true... I knew the existence of PSP VITA hmm.gif

To me, it's all about money....

If Sony offer to accept my PSP2000 tradein for 50% Discount for PSP VITA , I will change to VITA! (As an example)
Bcoz I dont want to have PSP2000 and PSP VITA.... 2 console for myself is too luxurious life... tongue.gif

And I don't think that's necessary... Also, My PSP-2000 still rocks with latest games! I am happy with it.

VITA may have some enhancement over PSP2000/3000/GO like touchscreen, hardware.. and all that kind of stuff... smile.gif

To me, as far as I know (As of today's date), PSP2000 can play the latest games that PSP VITA can offer! rclxms.gif

Thus, not all the latest games that everyone would love to play... right? sweat.gif

As a conclusion, I wont get PSP VITA until my PSP2000 fails/spoils, or if I see that there is a game that I LOVE and PSP2000 can't support it, than I will get VITA... =) cool2.gif

This post has been edited by Panties: Jan 31 2013, 04:17 PM
TSPanties
post Jan 31 2013, 04:18 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(seiluen @ Jan 31 2013, 04:12 PM)
I sold my vita after Bought it for 2 weeks sad.gif
Why? Not good? Than get PSP3000 or something...
or the games are too expansive? @@
TSPanties
post Feb 2 2013, 12:44 AM

8 posts

Okay, confirm, 64GB X 2 Works! I have filled up till 110GB games, no issue.. can load and save games..
However, I notice that only some videos (e.g. Megaman Maverick Hunter X), during the cut scenes of playing the video, the video play a little bit laggy... (very little, but quick noticable)
IMO, it is very tolerable..

Moreover, I notice some slight speed increase on game loading in Patapon3. So, that's a good thing! smile.gif

Defraging(once every 6 month) your Memory Card, help ur PSP when browsing your games... so its good!

Overall, I cannot complaint. I like it! However, I will stick to 64GB and avoid dual-microSD to avoid data corruption.

Hope this answers anyone who want to MAX their PSP!
TSPanties
post Feb 2 2013, 02:20 AM

8 posts

Okay, I discovered some issues. The 128GB (64GBx2) makes my PSP hang and restart itself... I also realize it drains Battery FAST when I try to browse games.... Fast, but sluggissh when you first turn on your PSP... coz it is loading all the games into memory.. I think... SO NOT Recommended!

The MAX and STABLE is 32GB! 64GB, is stable only if you use somewhere between 32GB-40GB! Using more, is a ur own risk!
It can even restart your PSP while copying the game via USB! Strongly suggest 32GB x1 for stability, 64GB x1 for your adventures. I STOP here now...

Gong Xi Fa CAi!

TSPanties
post Feb 3 2013, 10:55 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(playxboxwii @ Feb 2 2013, 09:10 AM)
Man u make miss my psp..
Eventho i have vita now

I never even touch it for few months already
Wanted to sell it but it was a gift from my parent..so i dont think its good to sell it..they worked hard to buy me vita

2009 - psp year
Let it go man.. Sell it! =) if you wanna sell your PSP 2000 to me, let me know.. ^^
TSPanties
post Feb 4 2013, 12:14 AM

8 posts

Mystery of 64GB(and maybe above) solved!

I have finally solved and would love to share it here itself!

After buying your 32GB x2 or 64GB x1 or..etc...
As we know, PSP works very stable with 32GB with Fat32 . Anything above, theoretically pushing your luck.

I believe I finallysolve my 64GB and above issue.

Use my method, if only if your experience Unstability(like ur PSP restart by itself, limited format to 32GB, or slowness..)
Again, used this method at your own RISK! I will NOT hold responsible!

It took me lots of time and patient and testing... hope this helps everyone.
(We are going to use Sandisk MicroSD 64GB as example here)

1. After getting 64GB MicroSD (or higher)...

Issue: Normally, Using PSP Format, is basically a Quick Format, and it will show you 59GB. It will Format to FAT32.

Problem: By doing this, You will face slowness when browsing games, and when you fill your memory till say.. 30-40GB, It will stop/froze/hang Transferring! It can also cause your PSP to restart during Transferring in USB mode! Because the limitation for FAT32 is theoretically 32G!! So you wont be able to continue to transfer the files. In addition, some games load fast, some games load slow... Game cutescene do lag at times but a minor issue.

Solution: Avoid using the PSP Format(Quick) for "64GB or higher". If you have already done, dont worry.
Steps:
a. Plug in your MicroSD to Your Memory Card Reader or Connect your PSP cable, Activate USB MODE in your PSP(with Power Adapter Charging your PSP, this operation Maybe long!)
b. If the drive Appear, you are Ready. If the drive did not appear, Use Windows Disk Management, to QuickFormat it to whatever partitions. We want to see the Drive in "My Computer".
(Assuming your MicroSD Drive is E:\)
c. Download the "fat32format GUI version " from http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm and Run as Administrator.
d. From the GUI, Choose E:\, Change the Allocation Unit Size from 32768(Default) to 65535 (or whatever is MAX there). -->This will Run/Load Games/Videos/Pictures Fastest!
e. You can put anything on Volume Label, and Uncheck "Quick Format" box!
f. Click "Start".

This operations will take about 1-3 hours, so go have your lunch or something... As this operation is delicate...

After this is done, Copy your PSP Games/Photos/Videos/Songs/Homebrew//SEPLUGINS/Whatever files back... fill it up to 59GB if you want to!!
Plug your MicroSD card back to your Memory Stick Pro Duo, and put into your PSP! All READY!
Your PSP should be kicking with tons of LIBRARY inside!!! tongue.gif
Gentle Reminder, DO NOT/NEVER use the PSP Format....

2. If your PSP restart on it's own during gaming/playback of movie...or hick-cups...

Issue: I realized that if you use PSP to format memory stick(either MicroSD or the original Memory Stick Duo PRO),
8GB Memory Stick , Sony set 0x0b (FAT32)
64GB Memory Stick, Sony set 0x0c (FAT32X)
(Find out more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table)

Problem: With the information above, it seems that FAT32X for higher Capacity larger than 32GB but PSP-2000, works well with FAT32! I'm not sure if this is the reason, but it fixes my problem! smile.gif

Solution: To fix it, is simple. (Make sure that the drive is already FULL Formated in Step 1)
1. Download http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
2. Install the Home Edition
3. Right click on E: and "Modify" and Select "Change Partition Type ID"
4. In the Drop Down Menu, Change from 0x0C to 0x0B and click YES!
5. Click Apply.

That's all!

All the above solutions, are what you need to get your 64GB or Higher, work with your PSP2000. I can safely say, This may work with Bigger Capacity in the future(128GB,256GB...etc)! You can also use MiniTool to Create partition on your MICROSD, and than use it with your andriod, to store APPS! But that's another story..

YES, PSP can play/support 64GB or higher! Period!

Quick Note: As you fill your Memory Card with your files, your transfer rate will graduately be slower. This is hardware/FAT limitation and you must be patient & wait till all your files transferred completely.
After files are transfered into the memory stick, It's all Good! Your games/videos should be fast when loading/saving . Also, copying out from Memory Stick, is Fast too!
Only when Copying INTO memory stick, the transfer rate is slow.. .and the more you fill in.. (say 95% of 64GB), your Transfer rate drop from 10Mbps to 5Mbps.

Admin, close this topic!

This post has been edited by Panties: Feb 4 2013, 12:20 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0160sec    0.42    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th August 2022 - 12:46 AM