SUBANG JAYA: William Yau Zhen Zhong, the six-year-old boy whose disappearance transfixed the nation for more than a week, was found dead, floating face-up in Sungai Klang near Kampung Sungai Sireh in Port Klang on Thursday evening.
His body was found 30 kilometres away from Jalan Putra Mahkota 7/6C in Putra Heights, where he was reported missing on Jan 16.
William’s body was highly decomposed, as he was believed to be in the water for almost a week. His eye-balls were missing and decomposition had eaten his legs to the bones.
Despite this, his parents Yau Kok Kang, 38, and wife Goh Ying Ying, 26, still managed to identify him at the Hospital Tengku Ampuan Rahimah hospital mortuary through old scars on his head and the clothes he was wearing.
Police, however, are waiting for the DNA results to confirm the identity.
Police had classified this case as a sudden death report as the pathologist could not ascertain the cause of death due to the advance stage of decomposition.
William has now joined the list of other children who have gone missing in suspicious circumstances. They include Sharlinie and Nisha Chandramohan who were reported missing, but never found, and Nurin Jazlin Jazimin, who was snatched outside her home and murdered.
Subang Jaya police chief Assistant Commissioner Yahaya Ramli said although there were injuries to the boy’s head, they have not ruled out the possibility that the injuries could have been inflicted while the boy was in the river.
“The pathologist did not find any external injuries to suggest there was foul play,” said Yahaya at a Press conference held at the district police headquarters, here.
He said the initial post mortem report revealed that William had been dead for a week before his body was found.
“This means he could have been alive for the first one or two days after he went missing.
“We are looking into the possibility that he was held captive during that period. We also want to know how he ended up in the river,” said Yahaya.
He said they will be interviewing William’s elder brother for the second time.
According to the missing person’s report lodged by William’s parents on Jan 16, their eldest son, aged seven, was the last to see him alive.
William, his brother, and their one-year-old sister, were left in the family car along Jalan Putra Mahkota 7/6C, while their parents went to look at washing machines at a nearby electrical store.
The family earlier had dinner together in Puchong before going to the store.
It was reported that William’s brother told him to go and get their parents after their younger sister started crying in the car.
When the parents returned some 15 minutes later, William was nowhere to be found.
The employees in the electrical store told the parents, and later police, that they did not see the boy. A burger seller and another stall owner also told police that they did not see the boy passing them.
Two days after William was reported missing, his photograph and particulars were uploaded on the police Facebook page while more than 11 million flyers on the missing boy were printed by various bodies and circulated nationwide.
A reward of RM70,000 was offered by four parties as the search for the missing boy intensified.
On Monday, hopes were raised when a woman called the MCA Public Complaints and Services Bureau chief Datuk Seri Michael Chong to say that she saw a boy resembling William, being carried by a foreign woman who was running towards an Indonesian settlement in Segambut Dalam last Friday.
She thought it looked suspicious and only realised that it could have been William when she saw a poster of him on Monday.
Chong, accompanied by about 15 Rela personnel went to the settlement but did not find anything.
On Wednesday, police dogs which are trained to sniff out cadavers, were used in the Putra Heights area to shed light on William’s whereabouts. They checked drains, hillocks and bushes, but came up empty.
Read more: Search ends: Missing six-year-old boy found dead - Latest - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/latest/search-ends-m...d-dead-1.207687