Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Acer Iconia B1 16GB for RM449, 7" dual-core Android tablet from RM399

views

housepartymusic
post Apr 7 2013, 04:00 PM

6 posts

I purchased my 8G Iconia B1 for RM 399 from Low Yat Plaza about nearly a month ago.

My family and I have been using it a lot now, surfing the web, playing lots of games, watching videos, reading e-books, etc.

There is no problem at all, I am very satisfied with the tablet.

The web surfing speed is very fast. There is no problem playing games, including those taxing ones. The much worried low RAM does not seen to be a problem at all in its performance.

I added a 16 G external SD card and it has enough storage for my usage. I do believe as we can add external SD storage up to 32G, there is no need to buy the 16 G internal storage device at a higher price if we can get the cheaper one with 8G internal storage.

And the 7 inch form factor is really ideal, it is light enough for me to hold for long time with one hand or to use it at any angle of viewing.

In terms of the product build, it is not bad. It is definitely not good looking as it is plastic. But it does feel it is solid enough, and my tablet has taken quite a bit of rough treatment, knocks and drops during the one month usage, and it is holding up well.

The screen resolution is decent. It is not the best, but can be considered one of the better ones. Most people should be satisfied with this screen resolution.

Another much publicized negative point about the product is the viewing angle of the screen. It is indeed limited. And it is very reflective. But I work around these weaknesses by holding the device at the right viewing angle.

All in all, for RM399, what a fantastic product this is. The RM1,100 Nexus 7, Galaxy Tab 2 and iPad mini are of course much better products. But the Iconia B1 is adequately good for just a fraction of the price. I congratulate Acer for being bold enough to sell this at this attractive price.

I was waiting for Nexus 7 for so long and instead of selling at RM799 or RM749, Asus Malaysia chose to launch the tablet at RM999. And because of that, I decided to forget about it and wait for better priced models. And thanks to Asus, I own the Iconia B1 now.

housepartymusic
post Apr 8 2013, 09:59 AM

6 posts

QUOTE(Eugene91 @ Apr 2 2013, 07:02 PM)
What's the usable storage on the 8GB version?
I am just reading from the storage info in the device. Internal SD* total space is just over 5 GB. My model is the 8 GB version. So, I hope that answers your question.

* The storage information shows (1) internal storage (which I believe maybe the RAM ?) (2) internal SD (which is what you asked) and (3) external storage (which is the external microSD card).

housepartymusic
post Apr 8 2013, 10:03 AM

6 posts

In addition to my earlier comments on the tablet, I would like to talk about the battery life too.

Based on my experience using it, here is the statistics:-

(1) Less than 3 hours if playing high end games, using GPS, watching movies, etc.

(2) Between 3 - 6 hours if normal games, web surfing, using wifi.

(3) More than 6 hours if low level stuff like reading and listening to music.

(4) Enough for a day if on standby and using for short period of time intermittently .

This post has been edited by housepartymusic: Apr 8 2013, 10:04 AM
housepartymusic
post Apr 9 2013, 04:56 PM

6 posts

RM449 or RM399 + 100 senheng points (or some even at RM399) for the 16 GB version is very good price, so you should go for it. A 16GB micro SD card already cost RM36.

The wi-fi is pretty stable and connection is good for my device.

I have not downloaded Real Racing (because I heard they keep asking you to buy stuff) but I am playing Shadow Gun Dead Zone. I don't know if this is high end game enough or not, but it runs smoothly.

This post has been edited by housepartymusic: Apr 9 2013, 04:58 PM
housepartymusic
post Apr 13 2013, 11:49 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(jhulencherag @ Apr 13 2013, 02:40 PM)
Hey guys after sending to Acer for RMA last week they issued me a Replacement Unit biggrin.gif
I hope you have a better experience with the replacement unit.

For FPS games, i have played Shadow Gun : Dead Zone. It plays ok. Does this qualify as FPS ?

I understand from a dealer that Acer is not producing the 8GB model anymore. It will only be 16 GB now on and the recommended retail price is RM 449.

This is a common practice, Asus did the same thing with Nexus 7. It is not selling wifi model (priced at RM899) anymore. Only the wifi + 3G model (with 16 GB memory) is available at RM1,099.

Acer Malaysia tested the market with the the 8 GB model and now is selling the higher priced model to get better profit margin. There are several other branded 7 inch tablets in the market now in the RM 400 plus price range, such as Asus' Memo Pad and MSI.

The 16GB Iconia B1 is available at the ongoing PC Fair in KLCC.
housepartymusic
post Apr 15 2013, 02:16 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(jobok @ Apr 14 2013, 10:12 AM)
where can i buy this tab at shah alam?

is the price really rm399?

coz when i google around....some put th price rm499....why higher?
The RM 499 price could be for 16 GB. But some people here said the 16GB version can be bought at RM399 or thereabout.

In Shah Alam, you probably have to go to Low Yat Plaza and to the PC Fair in KLCC last weekend.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0186sec    0.27    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:02 PM