Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Home Networking ASUS Malaysia Networking User & Technical Support, Managed by ASUS Malaysia Representative

views

largepants
post Jun 22 2017, 04:44 PM

5 posts

Hi, I have an issue with an AC87 where I am not able to connect to 5 Ghz. The radio is enabled and I have tried resetting the router via the Administration menu and the reset button behind the router. If I use the app Wifi Analyzer, I am able to see all the Wifi hotspots around, including the neighbour's 5 Ghz hotspot but not the AC87's.

I have also tried updating to the latest firmware (the latest as shown in the web interface, 3.0.0.4.380.7378) as well as the latest stable AsusWRT-Merlin firmware.

As a note, the 2.4 Ghz does not have any issue at all and works perfectly fine.

May I know what I else I can try?

This post has been edited by largepants: Jun 22 2017, 04:45 PM
largepants
post Jun 23 2017, 11:27 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(ASUSmy @ Jun 23 2017, 01:54 PM)
Hi largepants,

If you have updated the firmware, do factory reset and the problem still persist, it might be problem with the hardware.

Or you can try using rescue mode to restore and see the problem still persist or not.

Thank you
I tried factory reset again. Looks like the 5 Ghz is working now. I'll monitor it over the long weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks.
largepants
post Jul 4 2017, 11:20 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(largepants @ Jun 23 2017, 11:27 PM)
I tried factory reset again. Looks like the 5 Ghz is working now. I'll monitor it over the long weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks.
Hi, over the Raya break a few days after, the 5 GHz worked very well. It even came up normally when the router was power cycled.

Starting 3rd July, the 5 GHz did not appear when the router was switched on. It showed up after rebooting via the web GUI.

Today (4th July), the 5 GHz did not appear at all regardless of reboots and power cycles. About the only thing I haven't tried is another factory reset.

Do I try factory reset again?

System log for 27th June (working 5 GHz) and 4th July attached.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  20170627.txt ( 20.44k ) Number of downloads: 3
Attached File  20170704.txt ( 20.02k ) Number of downloads: 6
largepants
post Jul 5 2017, 06:52 AM

5 posts

QUOTE(blacktubi @ Jul 5 2017, 01:57 AM)
Well, RT-AC87U is known for 5Ghz issues due to the Quantenna chip it uses and I found an easy fix. Try cooling your router with a fan.

It sounds funny but it works for me. If you have a third party firmware like Merlin, you can see the 5Ghz chip is constantly overheating.
I've had this router sitting on an old laptop cooler when I first got it. I figured since has that dual-core processor with all the functions, any cooling solution built-in would be minimally adequate and could use any help it gets.

Currently, the temps are 2.4 GHz-> 42 °C, 5 GHz -> 56 °C, CPU -> 61 °C and usually deviates a few degrees based on usage.
largepants
post Jul 5 2017, 02:14 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(blacktubi @ Jul 5 2017, 10:13 AM)
Well, I guess there is not much we can do on this.

Try googling RT-AC87U 5Ghz, there's a lot of users with such issue. There's a lot of suggested fix to try. smile.gif
Yeah, I've also tried google as well. Many of the suggestions are variations of factory reset and keep cool.
There are some who have had success with older firmware versions but I haven't resorted to this step yet.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.3773sec    0.28    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:37 AM