Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please provide proper description when you report a post. Report button abuse will earn you an automatic warn + suspension.

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Why people choose android devices?

Scavia
post Dec 22 2012, 04:32 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

Share here.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DValentine
post Dec 22 2012, 04:35 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

customization, freedom, app ecosystem etc
+Quote Post
Azureknight94
post Dec 22 2012, 04:35 PM

On my way

I don't have to use itunes to transfer files. Can play almost any type of video without converting with apps like MX player/Mobo player. Bigger screen for web browsing.
+Quote Post
baoz
post Dec 22 2012, 04:40 PM

whoever woke me up is going to die

Cheaper (than iphone) and customization with widgets.

You want design, colours, budget. Any range any brand also got.

+Quote Post
Scavia
post Dec 22 2012, 04:44 PM

On my way

QUOTE(baoz @ Dec 22 2012, 04:40 PM)
Cheaper (than iphone) and customization with widgets.

You want design, colours, budget. Any range any brand also got.
You rite. Apple products are to expensive but have a great spec compare to some android devices.
Android can do we want to do such a flashing custom rom. That make androi devices great and awsone.. Hahha
+Quote Post
zad78
post Dec 22 2012, 04:49 PM

Remember... Remember

Simple... Blue tooth sharing FTW
+Quote Post
mtxx
post Dec 22 2012, 05:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Azureknight94 @ Dec 22 2012, 04:35 PM)
I don't have to use itunes to transfer files. Can play almost any type of video without converting with apps like MX player/Mobo player. Bigger screen for web browsing.
about media transfer for iOS, actually can use a software called iTools.
its just 2.5MB, no need install, just double click the .exe and it launch.
can transfer pics in/out easily. for videos, it auto convert into playable format. its very convenient on any windows version.

newer android device that dont have mass storage mode, like nexus7, the MTP mode doesnt work on window xp. need install driver. so frustrating. there is no way to send things to a desktop that dont have wifi. in d end have to use OTG send to pendrive first, then send to the desktop.

for phone, i prefer android, because have more control over something so personal, more customization,
iphone is the only phone that runs iOS, the screen so small and insane high price makes it not a nice option.

but for tablet, i dont mind using ipad. iOS really shines in tablets/bigger screen device.
the gesture controls to navigate the UI is really good, 5 finger pinch to go homescreen, 4 finger swipe up for multitask bar.

This post has been edited by mtxx: Dec 22 2012, 05:03 PM
+Quote Post
XeactorZ
post Dec 22 2012, 05:31 PM

♥ YoonA & HyunA ♥

QUOTE(mtxx @ Dec 22 2012, 05:02 PM)
can transfer pics in/out easily. for videos, it auto convert into playable format. its very convenient on any windows version.

newer android device that dont have mass storage mode, like nexus7, the MTP mode doesnt work on window xp. need install driver. so frustrating. there is no way to send things to a desktop that dont have wifi. in d end have to use OTG send to pendrive first, then send to the desktop.

for phone, i prefer android, because have more control over something so personal, more customization,
iphone is the only phone that runs iOS, the screen so small and insane high price makes it not a nice option.

but for tablet, i dont mind using ipad. iOS really shines in tablets/bigger screen device.
the gesture controls to navigate the UI is really good, 5 finger pinch to go homescreen, 4 finger swipe up for multitask bar.
+1 on ipad
but the sad case is no usb otg and flash (camera) on ipad lol
+Quote Post
Silenced
post Dec 22 2012, 05:32 PM

Casual

Used to be a fans of flashing customm, but since note 2 is so fast and stable I don't even bother to do anything to it
+Quote Post
ramz
post Dec 22 2012, 06:24 PM

Regular

Cheaper. More feature with less price.
Got file manager. File manager is basic to manage your data but iOS don't have it.
Can download and upload files with less restrictions than iOS.
Can use bittorent. It's a real friend just before travel I would download a few movies beforehand. Legally of course. Hehe.
Nfc is damn useful
I Can rely on it more during offline. Like downloading a pdf file for offline browsing. Ios dont like u to download stuff.
for offline viewing other than html

This post has been edited by ramz: Dec 22 2012, 08:03 PM
+Quote Post
ErgoProxi
post Dec 22 2012, 06:30 PM

April sweet is coming in, let the feast of fools begin!

same as above ^
+ Android got memory expansion.
+Quote Post
sang_kanchil
post Dec 22 2012, 06:32 PM

Casual

Cheap, so blardy easy to use pirate apps!
+Quote Post
mafioso
post Dec 22 2012, 06:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!

1. customizations
2. open source
3. can just transfer files without itunes, even able to transfer files via wi-fi
4. if you are technical enough, you may do your own customizations in the system
5. whenever there is a new update, on android they have many new features. ios is the same old boring stuff (just my own opinion here.)
6. for jack sparrow users, they will know brows.gif

and also by ramz:
Got file manager. File manager is basic to manage your data but iOS don't have it.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
THE ZUL
post Dec 22 2012, 06:33 PM

The Mercurial Ben Arfa

because of Tegra!
+Quote Post
joker_jr
post Dec 22 2012, 06:53 PM

Getting Started

Becoz i hate apple products.
+Quote Post
soulseeker6187
post Dec 22 2012, 07:49 PM

Regular

QUOTE(THE ZUL @ Dec 22 2012, 06:33 PM)
because of Tegra!
tegra games are nice but tegra SoC sweat.gif
+Quote Post
neo0915
post Dec 22 2012, 07:56 PM

~Android Kaki~

Freedom of customization... biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Robottoes
post Dec 22 2012, 08:04 PM

Getting Started

Cheaper
Value for $$$$
Big Screen
Tons of devices
ROM support
+Quote Post
joytest
post Dec 22 2012, 08:49 PM

Vox populi vox dei? Quot homines,tot sententiae

This is the main reason:

http://www.newint.org/features/web-exclusi...lman-interview/

Richard Stallman: ‘Apple has tightest digital handcuffs in history’

One of the greatest hackers of all time, Richard Stallman is something of a roving prophet for the free software movement.

He invented the first ‘copyleft license’ that made the results of his mammoth feats of computer programming free to use, share and change - without falling foul of copyright.

Stallman now travels the world making the argument that software should be treated as public knowledge and warning of threats to civil liberties in an increasingly digitized world.
Those companies are very powerful. They are cleverly finding new ways to take control over users. Nowadays people who use proprietary software [programs whose source code is hidden, and which are licensed under exclusive legal right of the copyright holder] are almost certainly using malware. The most widely used non-free programmes have malicious features – and I’m talking about specific, known malicious features.
Digital handcuffs are the most common malicious features. They restrict what you can do with the data in your own computer.

Apple certainly has the digital handcuffs that are the tightest in history.
The i-things, well, people found two spy features and Apple says it removed them and there might be more

When people don’t know about this issue they choose based on immediate convenience and nothing else. And therefore they can be herded into giving up their freedom by a combination of convenient features, pressure from institutions and the network effect.

The rest of the article is a bit philosophical but he's generally right.

None of us in the modern world are truly free in his sense, but at least with Android there is far more freedom and choice.

Can you even change the keyboard on your iThing? whistling.gif

Added on December 22, 2012, 8:58 pm
QUOTE(ramz @ Dec 22 2012, 06:24 PM)
Can use bittorent. It's a real friend just before travel I would download a few movies beforehand. Legally of course. Hehe.
Nfc is damn useful
I Can rely on it more during offline. Like downloading a pdf file for offline browsing. Ios dont like u to download stuff.
for offline viewing other than html
Somewhat unrelated to the topic at hand, but, HOW do you LEGALLY torrent movies???

I'm not aware of such services but if there are legal, purchasable movie torrents we should all know and support the fantastic entertainment industry.... whistling.gif cool.gif

As far as I'm aware, the entertainment industry is about as closed as Apple (Sony rootkits and general DRM anyone) and they've fought the concept of digital purchasing from day 1 coz they can't imagine a world where they cannot rebundle AND rebundle AND rebundle last 10 years songs in a new "Fresh Classics Compilation" physical shiny to rip you ...err.... market to our discerning tastes for rehashed albums.

Added on December 22, 2012, 9:10 pm

I get your point. However, installing drivers for your new "anydevice" is a standard thing in windows. The key difference between installing a driver for your phone and iTunes is that iTunes is your GATEKEEPER. All your activity is synced to some fruit server for your own safety (or maybe for apple'$ $afety) as I recall that you need to buy all your stuff again if your iTune$ gets re-installed but of course please correct me if I'm wrong.

The driver merely allows your device to talk to your computer and you can do anything you want with YOUR DATA. You can plug in a standard USB cable to transfer to your PC, why all the hassle of OTG to pendrive to PC?

This post has been edited by joytest: Dec 22 2012, 09:10 PM
+Quote Post
stormlcc
post Dec 22 2012, 09:18 PM

I can't control my G-FORCE addiction!!!

this is just stupid, y use so many fingers when 1 finger is enough to do the work. i have both the ipad and the transformer prime, the ipad is just an enlarged iphone, nothing more, i'm a lazy person, and i prefer only using 1 finger to do stuff. plus, i can't lie down and use the ipad and hold it with 2 fingers, its damn heavy
+Quote Post
fabianz03
post Dec 22 2012, 09:18 PM

Retired Flight Sim Veteran (RFSV)

It's funny how people will automatically think of Apple (iOS, iPhone) when OP asks why people choose Android over other mobile OSes. laugh.gif

edit : See? Apple's marketing is working! Everytime when you think of mobile OS you think of iOS!! You all are victimized! tongue.gif

And in the end it's why iOS can't and Android can, no WP or Symbian or BB. laugh.gif

But you gotta be fair la, sometimes it's not for the OS itself why people choose Android, sometimes people are on tight budget, they want a smartphone, they can get the low-end ones i.e Galaxy Y for like ~RM290.

And maybe they like Android phone's form factor i.e Note for huge-ass screen or Galaxy Y for tiny screens.

Only hardcore Fandroids like me and I believe most forumers here will go for high-ends Android phones or Nexus series phones for high customizationability(I totally made this word up. laugh.gif ) which lots of devs will support.

nod.gif

This post has been edited by fabianz03: Dec 22 2012, 09:30 PM
+Quote Post
JonSpark
post Dec 22 2012, 09:27 PM

Drive it like Hawkson

I like to try different mobile OSes.
+Quote Post
joytest
post Dec 22 2012, 09:40 PM

QUOTE(stormlcc @ Dec 22 2012, 09:18 PM)
this is just stupid, y use so many fingers when 1 finger is enough to do the work.  i have both the ipad and the transformer prime, the ipad is just an enlarged iphone, nothing more, i'm a lazy person, and i prefer only using 1 finger to do stuff.  plus, i can't lie down and use the ipad and hold it with 2 fingers, its damn heavy
+1000 ... ah I didn't realize that Apple managed to brainwash people into thinking to use ALL 5 fingers just to get to the home screen.... and that a 4 finger swipe is a FRESH AND MAGICAL INNOVATION to reach your notification bar...hmm.. hmm.gif

QUOTE(fabianz03 @ Dec 22 2012, 09:18 PM)
It's funny how people will automatically think of Apple (iOS, iPhone) when OP asks why people choose Android over other mobile OSes.  laugh.gif

edit : See? Apple's marketing is working! Everytime when you think of mobile OS you think of iOS!! You all are victimized!  tongue.gif

And in the end it's why iOS can't and Android can, no WP or Symbian or BB.  laugh.gif

But you gotta be fair la, sometimes it's not for the OS itself why people choose Android, sometimes people are on tight budget, they want a smartphone, they can get the low-end ones i.e Galaxy Y for like ~RM290.

And maybe they like Android phone's form factor i.e Note for huge-ass screen or Galaxy Y for tiny screens.

Only hardcore Fandroids like me and I believe most forumers here will go for high-ends Android phones or Nexus series phones for high customizationability(I totally made this word up.  laugh.gif ) which lots of devs will support.

nod.gif
Your words are wise, Mithrandir.....well, it's become quite polarized now into ios vs the rest. Unfortunately Nokia shot themselves both in the foot and arse and went to become another piglet on the M$ teat. And BB rested too much on their laurels (and uh, what's so great about getting your email on your phone). Bada is getting deprecated, Maemo was stillborn, Tizen hasn't been born, and Aliyun was also forcibly aborted.

So sadly, it's much an iOs vs Android today. Android is about choice, like the real world, whereas ios is about a highly curated user experience where you are handshackled into the reality distortion magical world of wonder of all things working (only as dictated by crapple).

This post has been edited by joytest: Dec 22 2012, 10:37 PM
+Quote Post
Aydee
post Dec 22 2012, 09:50 PM

Getting Started

I am a Sony fan
+Quote Post
poi2005
post Dec 22 2012, 09:57 PM

Getting Started

I like android for the ease of use when come to files transferring, video playback, doesn't required software to sync/copy data.

Able to use different theme also one of the reason, but I don't play a lot of theming on the phone. I prefer pure Android experience.
+Quote Post
mtxx
post Dec 23 2012, 12:11 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(joytest @ Dec 22 2012, 09:40 PM)
+1000 ... ah I didn't realize that Apple managed to brainwash people into thinking to use ALL 5 fingers just to get to the home screen.... and that a 4 finger swipe is a FRESH AND MAGICAL INNOVATION to reach your notification bar...hmm.. hmm.gif
hm...sometimes its really hard to talk to hard core android fans.
not everything in apple is evil la...

iOS gesture is really convenient, want to go back to previous app, just swipe 4 fingers to the left.
its super fast and fluid. in android, need tap the recent app, then tap the icon. (slow)

i rate intuitive as easy to achieve something with minimal effort.
when you need to aim sometime to tap, its using more concentration, which sucks.
example google maps. direct pinch in/out anywhere on the screen to zoom, much easier than aiming the +&- button at the side.

aiming the home button at the corner to tap uses more concentration compared to just pinch in with all your fingers anywhere on the screen. it would be nice to have this on android tablets, hope will appear in future versions. (there's an app called gmd gesture control that requires root, but it doesnt come close to usability and fluidity)
same for the recent app tray, moving the finger all the way to bottom left to aim the recent app button, i feel just swipe 4 fingers up any where is much easier and faster

that being said, the multitask in both ios and android (stock aosp) is really silly, why dont they have a clear all button??
ios one is even worst because to close app, need to long press and tap that ridiculously tiny button at the side of the icon. as i mentioned, needing to aim at something requires more concentration which sucks. (first world problem, lol...)

Added on December 23, 2012, 12:16 am
It's funny how people will automatically think of Apple (iOS, iPhone) when OP asks why people choose Android over other mobile OSes.  laugh.gif

edit : See? Apple's marketing is working! Everytime when you think of mobile OS you think of iOS!! You all are victimized!  tongue.gif

And in the end it's why iOS can't and Android can, no WP or Symbian or BB.  laugh.gif

Only hardcore Fandroids like me and I believe most forumers here will go for high-ends Android phones or Nexus series phones for high customizationability(I totally made this word up.  laugh.gif ) which lots of devs will support.

nod.gif
normal la...cos android and iOS are the two biggest player.
wp still very young (kesian dont even have notification tray, and baru got screenshot function), symbian & blackberry already close to extinct.

if u ask someone why choose iOS, they will mention because android fragmented, laggy, and all the usual generic bad stuff about android. android will be automatically brought into the picture as well.

This post has been edited by mtxx: Dec 23 2012, 12:16 AM
+Quote Post
Scavia
post Dec 23 2012, 12:28 AM

On my way

Ahaha.. Why people always compare android with ios.? Why not compare to bada, symbian, wp or others os? Because this world war of android and ios..
+Quote Post
joytest
post Dec 23 2012, 01:05 AM

QUOTE(Scavia @ Dec 23 2012, 12:28 AM)
Ahaha.. Why people always compare android with ios.? Why not compare to bada, symbian, wp or others os? Because this world war of android and ios..
Bro, my post #23 explains why there is no discussion on the other OSes coz of those reasons.

Anyway, @mtxx,
Thanks for the explanation of the 4 finger swipe clearly. I agree you make sense. I would state I'm not so much hardcore Android as anti-lockdown for the device I paid for. The best non-lockdown at the moment is Android.

Benjamin Franklin:
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
+Quote Post
hengmy
post Dec 23 2012, 01:18 AM

Regular

nod.gif
Because when come to comparing, we will compare to closest competitor, like proton with perodua, BMW with merc etc.

When people ask about BMW, you won't reply with proton.
+Quote Post
~tera~
post Dec 23 2012, 08:07 AM

Casual

wider price range .. thats make android famous ..

and android wouldnt live if there is not HTC who the 1st company who take risk to joint venture to produce 1st android devices ..

and credit to motorola who expend the android experience phone to US by 1st Droid

and lastly to samsung .. with perfect marketing strategy and retardly wide variant of galaxy device .. now .. android climbing on top of other OS in just less than 2 years .. and 700% growth in 1 year (2010~2011)

for my last 3 years experience with android since oct 2009 .. im amazingly satisfied that i choose android as my preferred OS

android FTW!!

This post has been edited by ~tera~: Dec 23 2012, 08:11 AM
+Quote Post
Bujal.x
post Dec 23 2012, 09:13 AM

PUNGGUNG ITU~~~

IOS is better than android.but im using android because they have bigger screen.4" is not for my big thumb.
+Quote Post
joytest
post Dec 23 2012, 09:49 AM

QUOTE(Bujal.x @ Dec 23 2012, 09:13 AM)
IOS is better than android.but im using android because they have bigger screen.4" is not for my big thumb.
Uh, maybe ios has some compelling features for you, but since it is single-supplier only (monopoly), for choice you have to choose another supplier right?

Did you sell off your Mediapad? smile.gif
+Quote Post
teckyang97
post Dec 23 2012, 09:54 AM

Google NeXuS

QUOTE(Bujal.x @ Dec 23 2012, 09:13 AM)
Everyone got their own view on which os is better,for me,android is better for me because of the customization and freedom
+Quote Post
Matrix
post Dec 23 2012, 09:57 AM

King of Char Siew!

1. Widgets. And tons of customization...not like iPhone...forever rounded square buttons and flip left/right only. It was good when it was released...back in 2008...and never evolve after that.
2. Tons of choices for every budget and purpose.
3. Bluetooth can transfer files!! (Very important and convenient).
4. No shitty crazy patents like Apple, sikit-sikit mau sue orang. Anti-competive and no good for consumers.
5. kuchilek 3.5" screen...see what?? Retina display for what when screen so small?? Bodoh Sial. Now iphone 5 baru 4"....like it's freaking big deal when my SGS2 already 4.2" or so. No need to mention Galaxy Note also..
5. I just farking hate Apple.

This post has been edited by Matrix: Dec 23 2012, 10:00 AM
+Quote Post
Doomsday
post Dec 23 2012, 09:58 AM

Retired LYN BULK seller

- File transfer is so much easier with Android
- Specs over price
- Feasibility to customized according power user's taste

+Quote Post
Bujal.x
post Dec 23 2012, 10:12 AM

PUNGGUNG ITU~~~

QUOTE(joytest @ Dec 23 2012, 09:49 AM)
Uh, maybe ios has some compelling features for you, but since it is single-supplier only (monopoly), for choice you have to choose another supplier right?

Did you sell off your Mediapad?  smile.gif
Yup..because of that.imagine ios on others brand like samsung or sony.. biggrin.gif
Already sold..thats thebest 7" tablet i've ever had..
+Quote Post
raymondtong94
post Dec 23 2012, 10:14 AM

Anime girls are cute forever <3

iOS = shit, shit everywhere
Android = customizable.

thats why i prefer android.
+Quote Post
joytest
post Dec 23 2012, 10:39 AM

QUOTE(raymondtong94 @ Dec 23 2012, 10:14 AM)
iOS = shit, shit everywhere
Android = customizable.

thats why i prefer android.
I'd qualify your statement a bit more specifically to define the "shit" but yes I do share your sentiment.

I'd say ios was designed for 1 architecture and optimized the hell for it, therefore ios users always talk about smoothness. However, because it is designed for 1 thing only, it cannot handle other things eg WIDGETS.

I'd say let the ios and android comparisons begin validly when ios gets widgets.

Right now, the whole screen draw of ios is flat graphics and can't scale, and it only does that very well. I am not a programmer but I think I read that the android screen draw can scale what's shown on the screen, which is a more elegant solution. Needs more Project Butter though.

+Quote Post
herojack41
post Dec 23 2012, 11:17 AM

Master Of Trouble Maker

why i choose android?

micro sd expansion....till 64gb and you dont hav to fork out another rm600 just to increase the internal storage rolleyes.gif

file transfer....i can simply bluetooth picture/pdf/txt file without use of computer

universal connecter.... micro usb all the way....better then some company force u to buy a new cable just becoz of new model
+Quote Post
herojack41
post Dec 23 2012, 11:20 AM

Master Of Trouble Maker

QUOTE(joytest @ Dec 23 2012, 10:39 AM)
I'd qualify your statement a bit more specifically to define the "shit" but yes I do share your sentiment.

I'd say ios was designed for 1 architecture and optimized the hell for it, therefore ios users always talk about smoothness. However, because it is designed for 1 thing only, it cannot handle other things eg WIDGETS.

I'd say let the ios and android comparisons begin validly when ios gets widgets.

Right now, the whole screen draw of ios is flat graphics and can't scale, and it only does that very well. I am not a programmer but I think I read that the android screen draw can scale what's shown on the screen, which is a more elegant solution. Needs more Project Butter though.
with jelly bean rolling out (project butter), iOs user have nothing to brag about their device whistling.gif
+Quote Post
infinityplayaz
post Dec 23 2012, 12:10 PM

Getting Started

iOS need to change their UI.seriously.
+Quote Post
joytest
post Dec 23 2012, 01:04 PM

http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=...27&cid=42372709

According to one of Floriam Mueller's posts, Apple has got 100s of multi-touch patents alone, and 1000s of patents on non-touch features related to smartphones.

Until Apple came along, hardware and software companies armed themselves with patents to ward off threats from trolls, or as a defensive measure alone. Now this company which has built an empire using copied technologies; has filed and gotten patents for obvious, trivial extensions of the same. Worse, they are using these patents to try and secure billions as 'security money' instead of competing in the markets based on the superiority of their products.

About 15 years ago, the company was on the verge of bankruptcy. Now they have presumably the largest cash reserves of any technology company. And their ex-CEO who is now dead, proclaimed that he did not want merely monetary compensation of billions of dollars. He wanted total destruction of entire competing platforms, period. One such platform is the Free and Open Source Software (FOSS for short) platform to which Android belongs.

Linux, Android, Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL are a few examples of leading FOSS products which have completely changed the technology landscape over the past 2 decades. Companies like Google, Facebook, Twitter etc. have built their empires using FOSS almost exclusively. Even Apple's earlier software offerings were based on FOSS products such as OpenBSD.

A patent regime does not sit well with the FOSS philosophy, and companies like Apple, Microsoft and Oracle have tried directly or covertly to litigate FOSS based competing products by behaving like litigious thugs. The referenced blog by Florian Mueller is tiled FOSS-Patents; however he is very much anti-FOSS; and indeed has acknowledged receipt of monies from the above companies in their anti-FOSS campaigns.

There are many such absurdities in the patent wars being waged, which have come to a head in recent years, because of enormous monies involved. Many companies like HTC have caved in and settled in the face of such absurdities, which causes higher prices for customers. It also results in lucrative business opportunities for lawyers, and so-called IP experts such as Florian Mueller. None of which serve the purpose of granting patent monopolies - which is to promote the progress of Science and useful Arts.

So you need not be surprised at the existence of patents on translucent images. There are patents on glossiness, rounded corners, shapes of icons, black colour, etc. based on which some schizophrenic companies expect billions in compensation from 'violating' companies.

===========

My middle finger is for crapple.
+Quote Post
Jcsy
post Dec 23 2012, 01:09 PM

Frag First! Think Later?

ROOT your device and install Gesture Mod Control
i paid for the app and it can use 5 finger pinch and 4 finger swipe for multitask

and do a lot more like BACK, LAUNCH AN APP, SCREEN OFF etc smile.gif
+Quote Post
fabianz03
post Dec 23 2012, 01:16 PM

Retired Flight Sim Veteran (RFSV)

I really like to see people compare other OS to Android other than iOS. doh.gif
pulang-balik iOS, talk something about WP la, they're new and catching up quite well (WP8)

Talk about its UI (Metro), user friendliness etc.
Jangan asyik iOS iOS je.

iOS to me is fine, just that it kinda lacks of cuztomizationability.
I'm actually okay with iOS, it's more of a polished OS.

While for WP, I don't really like it's UI, its like all in one, you dont know wheres what and wheres it doh.gif

BB, I've never used before, therefore no comment.

Symbian, was good until s60. It's pretty self explanatory. blush.gif
+Quote Post
joytest
post Dec 23 2012, 01:32 PM

QUOTE(fabianz03 @ Dec 23 2012, 01:16 PM)
I really like to see people compare other OS to Android other than iOS.  doh.gif
pulang-balik iOS, talk something about WP la, they're new and catching up quite well (WP8)

Talk about its UI (Metro), user friendliness etc.
Jangan asyik iOS iOS je.

iOS to me is fine, just that it kinda lacks of cuztomizationability.
I'm actually okay with iOS, it's more of a polished OS.

While for WP, I don't really like it's UI, its like all in one, you dont know wheres what and wheres it  doh.gif

BB, I've never used before, therefore no comment.

Symbian, was good until s60. It's pretty self explanatory.  blush.gif
WP, IMHO, is going down the same road as ios. M$ is trying its best to emulate the successful handshackles of their investee company crapple to maximize revenue with subscription. Nothing wrong with that capitalistic notion BUT if I bought, say, Office 2010, and create documents with it, why should I pay an annual fee just to access my own data?

And M$ is herding people into the $ingle $ource of truth from their app $tore.
Anyway, my point is being anti-lockdown for as much as possible. W8+ is trying VERY HARD as a wannabe ios. Metro or whatever they've decided to call their UI is simply change for the sake of change so that they can let their training consultants rip you off to teach you how to click on which big tile or swipe on the top left (or the top right? or was it the bottom right corner) to get to your next screen....

Yes, symbian WAS good...

IMHO, BB is a glorified pager (ooooh it's got FIPS C2 security....Obama's only authorized email device!!!)

+Quote Post
mtxx
post Dec 23 2012, 02:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Jcsy @ Dec 23 2012, 01:09 PM)
ROOT your device and install Gesture Mod Control
i paid for the app and it can use 5 finger pinch and 4 finger swipe for multitask

and do a lot more like BACK, LAUNCH AN APP, SCREEN OFF etc smile.gif
i tried this before in my old galaxy tab10.1, it was ridiculously sucky.
too slow and stutter/lag very bad

but now the new version 6 is great,
not sure its the software update of nexus7's fast processor,
its quite fast, thanks for the reminder, trying to set get the settings, i prefer 5 finger pinch in to go home,
but seems the default one is 4. exploring...

+Quote Post
mules
post Dec 23 2012, 04:04 PM

Getting Started

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...d&v=A9MSX10RZRE
+Quote Post
Chyan
post Dec 23 2012, 04:14 PM

영감 스타일

OS freedom for Android and it kept drastically changing in usability, which is crucial to keeping it top in the game.. Playing iOS is stale on a phone. But at least their iPad felt better due to the huge screen and app ecosystem. Then for Windows Phone , I've used it for half a year. Great device. But phone restrictions and less than stellar apps made me switch. Things have improved lots since WP8 though.

+Quote Post
boonwuilow
post Dec 24 2012, 06:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Because:
- Customization
- Open source
- Cheaper
- Much more type to choose from (from big to small even to water resistant)
- There are lots of launcher available to choose from, such as Xperia launcher (which is also able to work with non-xperia device, TouchWiz or LG UI 3.0
- Simpler to transfer data and sync, unlike iOS, u can't just simply plug in the USB then a drive will pops up on my computer, u need itunes to do that...
+Quote Post
Scavia
post Dec 24 2012, 11:53 PM

On my way

As i see here, between android and ios its still have 50-50 fans each. But to small amount compare to bada, symbian and wp. I've read from sammobile that samsung will realease their first TIZEN device in 2013. So what do you think guys?
+Quote Post
JonSpark
post Dec 25 2012, 12:13 AM

Drive it like Hawkson

QUOTE(infinityplayaz @ Dec 23 2012, 12:10 PM)
iOS need to change their UI.seriously.
im not complaining about the current UI, but a change would be refreshing biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
WooTz
post Dec 25 2012, 12:45 AM

Getting Started

Cyanogenmod, period.

Galaxy Note II's stock Jellybean is already damn fast and smooth, and that's only scratching the surface of what this beast of a machine is capable of.
+Quote Post
herojack41
post Dec 25 2012, 01:20 AM

Master Of Trouble Maker

QUOTE(WooTz @ Dec 25 2012, 12:45 AM)
Cyanogenmod, period.

Galaxy Note II's stock Jellybean is already damn fast and smooth, and that's only scratching the surface of what this beast of a machine is capable of.
jellybean do contribute some smoothness but i see were the 2gb ram playing a big role there smile.gif
+Quote Post
Jcsy
post Dec 25 2012, 02:58 AM

Frag First! Think Later?

QUOTE(mtxx @ Dec 23 2012, 02:20 PM)
i tried this before in my old galaxy tab10.1, it was ridiculously sucky.
too slow and stutter/lag very bad

but now the new version 6 is great,
not sure its the software update of nexus7's fast processor,
its quite fast, thanks for the reminder, trying to set get the settings, i prefer 5 finger pinch in to go home,
but seems the default one is 4. exploring...
default 4 , to avoid patent infringements by developer (iOS ##*!@(^#(*!@^#!)

customize your own to 5, pinch smile.gif

my tab 10.1 is using CM10 jelly bean, smooth about 90% of the time... stock or ICS was a phail

+Quote Post
mrkenn
post Dec 25 2012, 04:38 AM

Enthusiast

Android can do more multitasking than iOS devices. iOS just semi-multitasking.

Price wise, actually in USA both also consider cheap laugh.gif

But of course in malaysia, u can get an android device at a lower price(below 1k)

This post has been edited by mrkenn: Dec 25 2012, 04:41 AM
+Quote Post
kuntakinte
post Dec 25 2012, 09:03 AM

Casual

For pure slickness and a more refined, consistent user experience, iOS wins hands down. Apple perfectly optimizes the integration of hardware and software so seamlessly.
Android is less efficient in this department. Project butter on jellybean was smooth in the beginning but wears a little lag with use. Google blames it on app developers not fully optimizing their coding on the new engine.
But heck, even chrome on iOS is faster, smoother and more slick than chrome on android, so what's google talking about?

However, android is getting better and maturing nicely with age, google wins hands down on software innovation with their photosphere, google now and notifications while apple seems to have lost its way post-Steve jobs era with the lazy iPhone 5 and crappy iPad mini and iPod nano.

For WIndows Phone, its a non starter

For me, android is definitely the way forward with google continuos emphasis on software innovation and the excellent google services. And if you have to get an android, there is only one choice - NEXUS
+Quote Post
infinityplayaz
post Dec 25 2012, 10:32 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(kuntakinte @ Dec 25 2012, 09:03 AM)
And if you have to get an android, there is only one choice - NEXUS
Nexus FTW thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
andrekua2
post Dec 25 2012, 11:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(infinityplayaz @ Dec 25 2012, 10:32 AM)
Nexus FTW  thumbup.gif
Nexus is just a wet dream. Google need to buck up if they want to pose a challenge to Apple. Stop using shitty screen, support more video codec, etc. Thats one of the reason Samsung sells well.

Added on December 25, 2012, 11:07 am
QUOTE(Scavia @ Dec 24 2012, 11:53 PM)
As i see here, between android and ios its still have 50-50 fans each.  But to small amount compare to bada, symbian and wp. I've read from sammobile that samsung will realease their first TIZEN device in 2013. So what do you think guys?
As usual with every new platform, avoid the first or even the second wave as well. Then see if it survives. Hastily bought Android second wave HTC Legend and was bugged down with lots of hardware limitations.

This post has been edited by andrekua2: Dec 25 2012, 11:07 AM
+Quote Post
kuntakinte
post Dec 25 2012, 11:56 AM

Casual

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Dec 25 2012, 11:04 AM)
Nexus is just a wet dream. Google need to buck up if they want to pose a challenge to Apple. Stop using shitty screen, support more video codec, etc. Thats one of the reason Samsung sells well.

Added on December 25, 2012, 11:07 am

As usual with every new platform, avoid the first or even the second wave as well. Then see if it survives. Hastily bought Android second wave HTC Legend and was bugged down with lots of hardware limitations.
As far as screen display is concerned, except for the nexus 7, the other models 4&10 seems to get rave reviews as well, and is usually quoted as 'beautiful, near as good as ip5, and unless you have microscopic eyesight, hard to spot any minute imperfections'. I've not owned them yet (still pending customs clearance at the airport now) so ill reserve judgement until I see them with my own eyes. But yes, I've owned nexus 7 and the display is a big disappointment especially if one is coming from iPad 3, sold it off in a month.

As for videos, except for the occasional youtube stuff, never a fan of viewing them on handheld devices thus not qualified to comment so not a deal breaker for me at all.

And yes, there's always that quiet wish that HTC droid DNA should have been the nexus 4

+Quote Post
Jcsy
post Dec 25 2012, 12:50 PM

Frag First! Think Later?

ive seen a picture somewhere that all the high end phones today, one x, sgs3 , droid, nexus , iphone 5

all their screen displaying similiar text

end of the day, all looked exactly identical

dpi/ppi shit is a way of the past... its not existent anymore!
+Quote Post
Forgotten06
post Dec 25 2012, 01:09 PM

- Sweet Refrain -

QUOTE(herojack41 @ Dec 25 2012, 01:20 AM)
jellybean do contribute some smoothness but i see were the 2gb ram playing a big role there  smile.gif
Short answer: 2GB ram is needed because Note II features multiwindow mode.
+Quote Post
zuhairi1991
post Dec 25 2012, 03:52 PM

Casual

tethering is the best..since got data usage graph now thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
herojack41
post Dec 25 2012, 06:22 PM

Master Of Trouble Maker

QUOTE(Forgotten06 @ Dec 25 2012, 01:09 PM)
Short answer: 2GB ram is needed because Note II features multiwindow mode.
not just multiwindow mode that eat ram.

others thing also.....usually ram dont hav to be full to start lag...usually 90%+ will start lagging ady laugh.gif
+Quote Post
andrekua2
post Dec 25 2012, 10:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(kuntakinte @ Dec 25 2012, 11:56 AM)
As far as screen display is concerned, except for the nexus 7, the other models 4&10 seems to get rave reviews as well, and is usually quoted as 'beautiful, near as good as ip5, and unless you have microscopic eyesight, hard to spot any minute imperfections'.  I've not owned them yet (still pending customs clearance at the airport now) so ill reserve judgement until I see them with my own eyes.  But yes, I've owned nexus 7 and the display is a big disappointment  especially if one is coming from iPad 3, sold it off in a month.

As for videos, except for the occasional youtube stuff, never a fan of viewing them on handheld devices thus not qualified to comment so not a deal breaker for me at all.

And yes, there's always that quiet wish that HTC droid DNA should have been the nexus 4
Its not just the screen.

I'm just giving some example as to why even Nexus are just not good enough (except Nexus 4) and maybe Nexus 10.

There's lots of other things that matter. Apps that works on your first but not the second device, video codec, Android updates, etc. Maybe I expected much from the Google backed Nexus branding but thats just it. Plain, too plain. Thats why Apple beat Android soundly in America where everyone has multiple devices from the same brands. Experience differs too much sometimes when moving from one devices to another.

Added on December 25, 2012, 10:47 pm
QUOTE(Jcsy @ Dec 25 2012, 12:50 PM)
ive seen a picture somewhere that all the high end phones today, one x, sgs3 , droid, nexus , iphone 5

all their screen displaying similiar text

end of the day, all looked exactly identical

dpi/ppi shit is a way of the past... its not existent anymore!
Yes, the PPI card dont work anymore. There are minor differences but that just the different screen technology used.

Going forward, Apple might end up stronger than Google still. The numbers is on Google side due to the low end devices. I think if compare 4S/5 vs Highend Android (S3, Note, OneX), I think Apple still way ahead and this is critical. It is this segment which push the limit of the technology, not those low end market.

This post has been edited by andrekua2: Dec 25 2012, 10:47 PM
+Quote Post
Scavia
post Dec 26 2012, 01:00 AM

On my way

GNote also support multiwindow in next update only with 1gb ram. It will smoothes as gn2? For me maybe some lag if running high memory eater apps.
+Quote Post
Rudd
post Dec 26 2012, 02:10 AM

Regular

the smartphone OS that is up to date
and because android devices is cheaper than iOS.
at least for me.
+Quote Post
alwinnng
post Dec 26 2012, 02:15 AM

lel

QUOTE(toda_III @ Dec 26 2012, 01:24 AM)
reason for android;
user friendly. lol, apple users gonna bash me for this. I'll tell you the reason.

I can check my gmail inbox without opening the apps.
I can read my facebook and twitter updates without opening the apps.

There are 2 fixed buttons, back and home. iOS only have 1 button, home. the back button will be all over the screen.
The old android have a menu button, (equivalent to Window's right click button), but now android they follow iOS' back button style, which can be all over the screen, which I don't quite like it. But Samsung is still maintaining this traditional 3 fixed button, while Xperia has "udpated" themselves to becoming 2 fixed button. the third fixed button is just like Window's taskbar.

I can access my contacts WITHOUT opening apps.

How do I do all these? It's thanks to something called WIDGETS. iOS don't have these.
For android 4.0 and above,
When you receive incoming text, whatsapp msg and email msg, you don't have to go to respective apps to open the apps. Just click on your notification status bar. Don't even need to unlock your phone unless you put password.

And music access, whenever you play music, you don't want to press power button, unlock, find the music apps, find the play tab, press the pause / stop button.
In android, all you have to do is press the power button, and there, pause button is there.

Reasons to use iOS, smoother game play. If you want a smooth game, then go for iOS.
+Quote Post
Jcsy
post Dec 26 2012, 02:25 AM

Frag First! Think Later?

that post indeed, was ALLWINNING
+Quote Post
Mr_47
post Dec 27 2012, 09:45 AM

***NOT MODERATOR *** Post : +10,000,000,00 Warn: 100%

Quad core and 2 gb mem all the way
+Quote Post
Scavia
post Dec 28 2012, 01:51 AM

On my way

Now we have 2gb mem + quadcore pros. Later maybe we will see manufacturer build their android devices with atleast 4gb mem + quadcore + 2.++ghz.. It will come to us soon. Haha
+Quote Post
socoil23
post Dec 28 2012, 07:33 AM

Personal experience:

WP (HTC MOZART) - Awesome as it will synchronised with social networks (pics,contacts,msg..) and Microsoft really know what they doing. Smooth UI, easy to navigate. Learning curve is a little bit slow...

BB (PEARL 3G) - superb Security,emails,bbm...not much to talk about.

IOS (3GS,IPOD TOUCH 4th gen) - Smooth + TONS of APPS...not much to talk about.

SYMBIAN - Simple...

Now I'm using Xperia Ray and Asus Transformers... Lots of customization, lots of option...
+Quote Post
aspire2oo6
post Dec 28 2012, 08:12 AM

Banned

QUOTE(Scavia @ Dec 28 2012, 01:51 AM)
Now we have 2gb mem + quadcore pros. Later maybe we will see manufacturer build their android devices with atleast 4gb mem + quadcore + 2.++ghz.. It will come to us soon. Haha
they have no choice but to keep boosting the specification to attract customers. If you notice iphone been still dual core until today still selling like hot cakes.

Android competition
China brand, Samsung, HTC, Sony and many many more

Iphone competition
None

FUrthermore iphone have controlled price thats why they retain their reseller value
+Quote Post
Scavia
post Dec 28 2012, 12:41 PM

On my way

QUOTE(aspire2oo6 @ Dec 28 2012, 08:12 AM)
they have no choice but to keep boosting the specification to attract customers. If you notice iphone been still dual core until today still selling like hot cakes.

Android competition
China brand, Samsung, HTC, Sony and many many more

Iphone competition
None
FUrthermore iphone have controlled price thats why they retain their reseller value
Agreed with you. Apple has no competition thats why their still build same spec with old hardware devices and only with new name. Until now, apple market never drop. No others brands using ios, but too many brands using android because android is open source project..
+Quote Post
aspire2oo6
post Dec 28 2012, 12:46 PM

Banned

Now even china brand getting more popular and popular by then 20 brands fighting among themselves while iphone still no competition.

Now hua wei also up di
+Quote Post
Scavia
post Dec 28 2012, 12:56 PM

On my way

QUOTE(aspire2oo6 @ Dec 28 2012, 12:46 PM)
Now even china brand getting more popular and popular by then 20 brands fighting among themselves while iphone still no competition.

Now hua wei also up di
Now china brands also has good spec and more cheap than trusted brands devices. Sometime, china brands can beat trusted brands devices. So no comment about china brands now.
+Quote Post
ArmedandDangerous
post Dec 28 2012, 12:57 PM

Less QQ, more Pew Pew

Short answer?
Choice.

Long answer?
Choice of who I buy it from, how I customize it, why I customize and where I can do it.
+Quote Post
Narako
post Dec 28 2012, 12:59 PM

what?

can customize and also price.
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic