go to kg rantau panjang..
search FB for wan ali pine wood..
he sells all kinds of pine wood..
for general use and tongue pine wood
tboxmy
post Apr 21 2018, 11:26 AM

Casual
475 posts

This is one reason I look for stuff in this forum. 2012 posting and still getting updated.

Was just looking for solid wood to do DIY desk.
ar188
post Apr 21 2018, 02:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,188 posts

QUOTE(tboxmy @ Apr 21 2018, 11:26 AM)
This is one reason I look for stuff in this forum. 2012 posting and still getting updated.

Was just looking for solid wood to do DIY desk.
what kind of solid wood?

j03bl0ggs
post Apr 25 2018, 12:01 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(kerjakayu.my @ Apr 19 2018, 11:19 PM)
If you looking for the above shape of pine wood  scraps, im afraid u cant find any.

but if below shape, you can come to my workshop

user posted image
Are these pine wood?
ck07
post Apr 25 2018, 12:20 AM

2 posts

park
kerjakayu.my
post Apr 25 2018, 09:22 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(j03bl0ggs @ Apr 25 2018, 12:01 AM)
Are these pine wood?
ya its pine wood off cut
tboxmy
post Apr 30 2018, 10:49 AM

Casual
475 posts

QUOTE(ar188 @ Apr 21 2018, 02:35 PM)
what kind of solid wood?
Looking for recommendation to make 4 x 2 foot desks. No specific kind, just the most affordable for diy projects and good as a writing desk.

Still looking, any suggestions onn what the price range should be and the type of wood? around Rawang and Damansara.
bigred
post Apr 30 2018, 11:40 AM

Getting Started
209 posts

QUOTE(tboxmy @ Apr 30 2018, 10:49 AM)
Looking for recommendation to make 4 x 2 foot desks. No specific kind, just the most affordable for diy projects and good as a writing desk.

Still looking, any suggestions onn what the price range should be and the type of wood? around Rawang and Damansara.
You are looking at DIY / build yourself or getting someone to do it?

If DIY yourself, then have to have a design in mind first. Probably use Pinterest to get some idea on that.

e.g. Galvanised steel for legs with a hardwood top

user posted image

Cinder Block study table
user posted image

If getting someone to do it, then have to depend on the carpenter's design.
ar188
post Apr 30 2018, 09:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,188 posts

QUOTE(bigred @ Apr 30 2018, 11:40 AM)
You are looking at DIY / build yourself or getting someone to do it?

If DIY yourself, then have to have a design in mind first.  Probably use Pinterest to get some idea on that.

e.g. Galvanised steel for legs with a hardwood top

user posted image
Cinder Block study table
user posted image

If getting someone to do it, then have to depend on the carpenter's design.
a good carpenter should be able to make anything close to what you find on pinterest

whether one can pay for that kind of master carpenter job is another issue. laugh.gif
tboxmy
post May 2 2018, 10:49 AM

Casual
475 posts

@bigred appreciate the advice.

Planning to do desk on own but am so surprise at the costly price of wood. Maybe its because they are from hardware stores that have higher overheads. Prices are almost similar to that published by https://www.palletxpert.com/itemprice/ and https://www.lazada.com.my/catalog/?q=pine+w....75f824f6R1dGFY

Looking at building something similar to ikea malm desk 151x65cm which cost RM499 only.

Good if anyone can suggest places to buy affordable wood for own DIY around Selangor area.

This post has been edited by tboxmy: May 2 2018, 11:11 AM
bigred
post May 2 2018, 02:47 PM

Getting Started
209 posts

It depends ....

1. Type of wood you use - this is a big subject but we in Malaysia are blessed with hardwood e.g. meranti, balau, belian, teak, etc
Joined wood (basically take several pieces and glue or joined them together to make one piece). Cheaper as not a single piece but can see the lines of the wood over time. Good for study table but not so good for writting table. Naturally single piece wood are more expensive e.g >1.5k per piece

2. Size - again a decision impacting price

3. Aesthetically pleasing - Instagram quality or functional 😁

IKEA stuff are cheaper, no doubt but their wood are mainly compresed chip boards instead of real hardwood. How to tell the difference? Try lifting it ... If it is light, most likely chipboard. If you need to grunt a bit, then hardwood.

... alternatively if you don't mind to work up some sweat and DIY yourself, can build your own table for quite cheap. I have always been keen in recycling wood pallets. Mostly free as they throw it outside factories and industrial areas, can disassemble those planks, give it a nice sanding and voila! They are actually quite nice woods (free as well!!).

These are mainly softwood (pine) but if it's free, can't complain right? Put a couple of them together and find some legs, and you have a study table.

Check out a similiar post "Repurpossing Wood Boards", which gives some ideas on DIY with wood.

Have fun!

QUOTE(tboxmy @ May 2 2018, 10:49 AM)
@bigred appreciate the advice.

Planning to do desk on own but am so surprise at the costly price of wood. Maybe its because they are from hardware stores that have higher overheads. Prices are almost similar to that published by https://www.palletxpert.com/itemprice/ and https://www.lazada.com.my/catalog/?q=pine+w....75f824f6R1dGFY

Looking at building something similar to ikea malm desk 151x65cm which cost RM499 only.

Good if anyone can suggest places to buy affordable wood for own DIY around Selangor area.
tboxmy
post May 5 2018, 11:43 AM

Casual
475 posts

Good advice. Pellets might be easier to find.

Might work for legs and frame and hoping to look for a decent top.
bigred
post May 5 2018, 01:37 PM

Getting Started
209 posts

For frames can look at using GI pipes. Hardware shop can cut to size required and there are alot of joint parts to connect the GI pipes together.

Has the industrial look to it, but would need some effort and elbow grease. Would need to clean the joints (oily and greasy) and need to plan / design the frame properly.

This post has been edited by bigred: May 5 2018, 01:38 PM
kerjakayu.my
post May 8 2018, 01:23 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(bigred @ May 2 2018, 02:47 PM)
... alternatively if you don't mind to work up some sweat and DIY yourself, can build your own table for quite cheap. I have always been keen in recycling wood pallets. Mostly free as they throw it outside factories and industrial areas, can disassemble those planks, give it a nice sanding and voila! They are actually quite nice woods (free as well!!).
things you might want to consider when working with reclaimed pallet. but after all its all up to your consideration.

user posted image

more info -> http://kayupallet.my/info

This post has been edited by kerjakayu.my: May 8 2018, 01:25 PM
ar188
post May 8 2018, 09:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,188 posts

plenty of off cut pines if know where to look. hehe

Attached Image

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0183sec    0.17    6 queries    GZIP Disabled