Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> BRITISH COUNCIL VS CAMBRIDGE FOR LIFE

hackwire
post Dec 9 2012, 12:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

which one of this is more powerful in job qualification. British council only give certificate of attendance for students in English Courses. If a working professional, between these 2 english center , which one can help job interview better. Which one is more recognized?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
grumpyorang
post Dec 9 2012, 01:30 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(hackwire @ Dec 9 2012, 12:05 AM)
which one of this is more powerful in job qualification. British council only give certificate of attendance for students in English Courses. If a working professional, between these 2 english center , which one can help job interview better. Which one is more recognized?
You may want to look into those that IELTS course if you don't have the qualification. It's the most common English exam. I believe in terms of job interview it will be the one that's the most popular.
+Quote Post
nexus2238
post Dec 9 2012, 08:42 AM

Look at all my stars!!

If you already has the chance to step in for interview, most interviewers won't bother to look at your English cert since they already has the opportunities to listen and talk to you in English 1st hand smile.gif
No matter what course one attended, what cert one have, if the interviewee could not pull off the English on the day of the interview, too bad.
Grumpyorang is right in a way. To prove you have the required English proficiency in your CV, IELTS or TOEFL score is good.

If you are really looking to improve your English, British Council is good.
Btw, "Cambridge for Life" is not really from Cambridge UK laugh.gif
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Dec 9 2012, 02:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(nexus2238 @ Dec 9 2012, 08:42 AM)
If you already has the chance to step in for interview, most interviewers won't bother to look at your English cert since they already has the opportunities to listen and talk to you in English 1st hand smile.gif
No matter what course one attended, what cert one have, if the interviewee could not pull off the English on the day of the interview, too bad.
Grumpyorang is right in a way. To prove you have the required English proficiency in your CV, IELTS or TOEFL score is good.

but this cambrdge for life based in tropicana was endorsed by cambridge UK as the exam center for all their exam. i saw their company name stated very clearly in cambridge authorized center in malaysia.

as for IELTS and Toefl its more for university students or immigrants not their native language. for work professional, cambridge or Toecl is more advance and very advance . its more toward separation from men to school boy command in language. everybody can write, read n talk but the level is what separate everybody.

this is my latest finding from the internet. i cannot confirm the above statement but was written by somebody.

This post has been edited by hackwire: Dec 9 2012, 02:13 PM
+Quote Post
Intermission
post Dec 9 2012, 02:31 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(hackwire @ Dec 9 2012, 02:12 PM)
but this cambrdge for life based in tropicana was endorsed by cambridge UK as the exam center for all their exam. i saw their company name stated very clearly in cambridge authorized center in malaysia.

as for IELTS and Toefl its more for university students or immigrants not their native language. for work professional, cambridge or Toecl is more advance and very advance . its more toward separation from men to school boy command in language. everybody can write, read n talk but the level is what separate everybody.

this is my latest finding from the internet. i cannot confirm the above statement but was written by somebody.
I think for your situation the business English certificate by cambridge english for life would be more suitable since it is geared towards the business world.

IELTS and TOEFL are simply proofs of English proficiency and are only valid for a certain period of time. The certificates by CEFL on the other hand are qualifications which lasts a lifetime.

Added on December 9, 2012, 2:35 pm
QUOTE(nexus2238 @ Dec 9 2012, 08:42 AM)

When they say "Cambridge" they refer to Cambridge International Examinations which happens to be the examination board that regulates most of the A level examinations in our country. Only ignorant Malaysians would make the assumption that it refers to Cambridge University without looking any further.

This post has been edited by Intermission: Dec 9 2012, 02:35 PM
+Quote Post
nexus2238
post Dec 9 2012, 04:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(hackwire @ Dec 9 2012, 02:12 PM)

Pardon my ignorance smile.gif Are you saying that a candidate who scored in Band 9 of IELTS a few years ago going to college will become less proficient in his / her English upon graduation? laugh.gif

Most foreign universities using English as teaching medium has a minimum requirement in IELTS, but if a candidate put down Band 9 IELTS in his / her CV, I have more confidence in an internationally accepted test.

And a lot of MNCs does look at IELTS, not just universities.

Maybe you should check with Cambridge for Life, and see how they rate their cert vis-a-vis IELTS. I remember I saw somewhere they rate their Certificate of Proficiency about the same as IELTS Band 9. icon_rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by nexus2238: Dec 9 2012, 04:43 PM
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Dec 9 2012, 04:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Intermission @ Dec 9 2012, 02:31 PM)
I think for your situation the business English certificate by cambridge english for life would be more suitable since it is geared towards the business world.

IELTS and TOEFL are simply proofs of English proficiency and are only valid for a certain period of time. The certificates by CEFL on the other hand are qualifications which lasts a lifetime.

When they say "Cambridge" they refer to Cambridge International Examinations which happens to be the examination board that regulates most of the A level examinations in our country. Only ignorant Malaysians would make the assumption that it refers to Cambridge University without looking any further.
thanks intermission.
I was first doubting about CEFL because many forumers think that Cambridge for life franchise was not good. I do agree also but later i found out that there's truth behind it because of the franchise system they implemented thus there's a quality issue . Only a few centers are still manage by the HQ . I never been to HQ before but i believe one should go to the HQ just like going directly to British Council.

And like you mentioned , many malaysians are ignorant and which it is also because they linked the word Cambridge to the university. But the business owner is pretty smart because she used the word Cambridge . In fact, the center has been authorized to conduct exam in the center now after looking at Cambridge U website

http://cambridgeesol-centres.org/centres/s...qualification=5
+Quote Post
grumpyorang
post Dec 9 2012, 06:02 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(hackwire @ Dec 9 2012, 04:43 PM)
thanks intermission.
I was first doubting about CEFL because many forumers think that Cambridge for life franchise was not good. I do agree also but later i found out that there's truth behind it because of the franchise system they implemented thus there's a quality issue . Only a few centers are still manage by the HQ . I never been to HQ before but i believe one should go to the HQ just like going directly to British Council.

And like you mentioned , many malaysians are ignorant and which it is also because they linked the word Cambridge to the university. But the business owner is pretty smart because she used the word Cambridge . In fact, the center has been authorized to conduct exam in the center now after looking at Cambridge U website
If you're still looking for English classes and you are a working professional, you might have to consider that most students in CEFL are younger/in their teens whereas British Council houses more older adults (a lot of internationals). If you don't feel awkward being in a class with younger kids around 15 (I imagine you should be about 10 years older than them), then so be it.
Teaching wise, more teaching staff in CEFL are local Chinese who have apparently obtained some 'teaching' certificate. I can tell you that if you're looking for native English speakers, you can definitely find more of them in British Council.
Location wise, CEFL have more outlets and is more accessible. British Council only have 2 centers in PJ/KL area. State and Jalan Ampang.
Also, bear in mind that you have to sit for a placement test in CEFL. It's not necessary that you'll get into the CPE class (highest level) so you might be placed in the "lower" level with even younger rich kids....also, I think in terms of frequency of exams, IELTS definitely have more exam sittings (can be up to about 4 in a month) whereas you need to study for the CPE for at least 1 year before sitting for it (that is if you're stream to the CPE class at the first place)...sure you have the determination for it?
+Quote Post
reconnaissance
post Dec 9 2012, 06:20 PM

Hero Prodigy

QUOTE(Intermission @ Dec 9 2012, 02:31 PM)

Please, ignorance is a heavy word for ignoramus themselves.
Cambridge refers to Cambridge International Examinations, a segment of the University of Cambridge Local Examination Syndicate (UCLES) branded under Cambridge Assessment, which is a non-teaching department of the University of Cambridge.
All of them are heavy associated with the university itself, and the naming derived from the parental organization, which is the primary University of Cambridge.

Added on December 9, 2012, 6:23 pm
QUOTE(hackwire @ Dec 9 2012, 04:43 PM)
thanks intermission.

Another follow-up. Intermission may have been mistaken or overlooked that particular detail, but those that accepts and confirms it without research as though they did are even worse.

This post has been edited by reconnaissance: Dec 9 2012, 06:31 PM
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Dec 9 2012, 09:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(reconnaissance @ Dec 9 2012, 06:20 PM)
Cambridge refers to Cambridge International Examinations, a segment of the University of Cambridge Local Examination Syndicate (UCLES) branded under Cambridge Assessment, which is a non-teaching department of the University of Cambridge.
All of them are heavy associated with the university itself, and the naming derived from the parental organization, which is the primary University of Cambridge.

Another follow-up. Intermission may have been mistaken or overlooked that particular detail, but those that accepts and confirms it without research as though they did are even worse.
I think you are confusing. Intermission is describing the Center while you are providing the description of the examination which we already knew. Cambridge for Life is not purely link or affiliated with Cambridge University . I think you should read slower next time before starting to criticize people. this is not kopitiam.
+Quote Post
reconnaissance
post Dec 9 2012, 10:16 PM

Hero Prodigy

QUOTE(hackwire @ Dec 9 2012, 09:05 PM)
I think you are confusing. Intermission is describing the Center while you are providing the description of the examination which we already knew. Cambridge for Life is not purely link or affiliated with Cambridge University . I think you should read slower next time before starting to criticize people. this is not kopitiam.
Please, he said the Cambridge meant Cambridge International Examinations, which I then clear it to have association with the university itself. Both Cambridge's' refers to the same institution of different departments.
It is not which word he corrects that I am recorrecting, but the institution as a whole.
Please understand clearly that I do not need to read it slower, and I believe so do you. It is the mind that matters most.
Accept it.

This post has been edited by reconnaissance: Dec 9 2012, 10:20 PM
+Quote Post
Intermission
post Dec 9 2012, 10:21 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(nexus2238 @ Dec 9 2012, 04:35 PM)
Pardon my ignorance smile.gif Are you saying that a candidate who scored in Band 9 of IELTS a few years ago going to college will become less proficient in his / her English upon graduation?  laugh.gif

Of course not, it is just that IELTS is not deemed as a valid proof of english proficiency after 2 years. It is the qualification itself that expires, not your english proficiency. I am equally confused why is this happening, but that is the way how it works. BEC would be better as a longer lasting qualification.

There's nothing to apologize, I wasn't really referring to you since you made the distinction after all. smile.gif

QUOTE(grumpyorang @ Dec 9 2012, 06:02 PM)
If you're still looking for English classes and you are a working professional, you might have to consider that most students in CEFL are younger/in their teens whereas British Council houses more older adults (a lot of internationals). If you don't feel awkward being in a class with younger kids around 15 (I imagine you should be about 10 years older than them), then so be it.
Teaching wise, more teaching staff in CEFL are local Chinese who have apparently obtained some 'teaching' certificate. I can tell you that if you're looking for native English speakers, you can definitely find more of them in British Council.
Location wise, CEFL have more outlets and is more accessible. British Council only have 2 centers in PJ/KL area. State and Jalan Ampang.
Also, bear in mind that you have to sit for a placement test in CEFL. It's not necessary that you'll get into the CPE class (highest level) so you might be placed in the "lower" level with even younger rich kids....also, I think in terms of frequency of exams, IELTS definitely have more exam sittings (can be up to about 4 in a month) whereas you need to study for the CPE for at least 1 year before sitting for it (that is if you're stream to the CPE class at the first place)...sure you have the determination for it?
TS is looking for an institution that offers english language proficiency qualification for working adults. While the teaching quality provided by the British Council may be better, they are not a institution that provides a qualification like BEC. With his current english proficiency, TS may have a hard time trying to get into a CPE class, but he certainly could get into a BEC class.

QUOTE(reconnaissance @ Dec 9 2012, 06:20 PM)

The teaching is certainly not from University of Cambridge as you stated.

I think you have misunderstood the situation here. When people ask people about classes, what they are concerned is usually the teaching itself. I have never said that CEFL has nothing to do University of Cambridge, nor did I say that it is not a worthy qualification. I was merely pointing out the fact that the center itself does not conduct classes which are taught by tutors from University of Cambridge. Given the high cost of such tuition classes, some people may have such false expectations and therefore this distinction must be made.

This post has been edited by Intermission: Dec 9 2012, 10:22 PM
+Quote Post
reconnaissance
post Dec 9 2012, 10:27 PM

Hero Prodigy

QUOTE(Intermission @ Dec 9 2012, 10:21 PM)
Of course not, it is just that IELTS is not deemed as a valid proof of english proficiency after 2 years. It is the qualification itself that expires, not your english proficiency. I am equally confused why is this happening, but that is the way how it works. BEC would be better as a longer lasting qualification.

There's nothing to apologize, I wasn't really referring to you since you made the distinction after all.  smile.gif
TS is looking for an institution that offers english language proficiency qualification for working adults. While the teaching quality provided by the British Council may be better, they are not a institution that provides a qualification like BEC. With his current english proficiency, TS may have a hard time trying to get into a CPE class, but he certainly could get into a BEC class.

I think you have misunderstood the situation here. When people ask people about classes, what they are concerned is usually the teaching itself. I have never said that CEFL has nothing to do University of Cambridge, nor did I say that it is not a worthy qualification. I was merely pointing out the fact that the center itself does not conduct classes which are taught by tutors from University of Cambridge. Given the high cost of such tuition classes, some people may have such false expectations and therefore this distinction must be made.
I think you misunderstood which part I am correcting.
First, I wrote NON-teaching, so we are both right, but I think you overlooked that.
And it's not about the classes have relation with the university, of course they don't, but the fact that you mentioned the CIE in the context as though it is not part of the university.
It is miscommunication, then misunderstood. And then there's that guy.

Come to read it again, it's not primarily your part that I was worried of but how he come to understand what you meant, like saying that the business owner was smart for using the word Cambridge as though they are not authorized to.

This post has been edited by reconnaissance: Dec 9 2012, 10:44 PM
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Dec 9 2012, 10:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(reconnaissance @ Dec 9 2012, 10:16 PM)
Please, he said the Cambridge meant Cambridge International Examinations, which I then clear it to have association with the university itself. Both Cambridge's' refers to the same institution of different departments.
It is not which word he corrects that I am recorrecting, but the institution as a whole.
Please understand clearly that I do not need to read it slower, and I believe so do you. It is the mind that matters most.
Accept it.
im not sure what you are trying to say here. he never said that Cambridge was not associated. he was merely saying that malaysian perception on cambridge is on university attachment with UK one. Cambridge for life is not directly linked with Cambridge UK. i still do not know what you are saying about the Cambridge as a whole? are you implying that Cambridge for Life head office in Tropicana is also associated with Cambridge University? People are saying how the center had no connection at all with Cambridge UK . i think u r still confuse in our conversation .

Added on December 9, 2012, 10:46 pm
QUOTE(Intermission @ Dec 9 2012, 10:21 PM)

There's nothing to apologize, I wasn't really referring to you since you made the distinction after all.  smile.gif

how come i can understand what you said but i just cannot brain what that guy said? rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by hackwire: Dec 9 2012, 10:46 PM
+Quote Post
reconnaissance
post Dec 9 2012, 10:48 PM

Hero Prodigy

QUOTE(hackwire @ Dec 9 2012, 10:43 PM)
im not sure what you are trying to say here. he never said that Cambridge was not associated. he was merely saying that malaysian perception on cambridge is on university attachment with UK one. Cambridge for life is not directly linked with Cambridge UK. i still do not know what you are saying about the Cambridge as a whole? are you implying that Cambridge for Life head office in Tropicana is also associated with Cambridge University? People are saying how the center had no connection at all with Cambridge UK . i think u r still confuse in our conversation .
No, but what I meant was the part I bolded.
CIE is an attachment of the university.
It is obvious that the particular center of interest has nothing to do with the university, but he phrase it as though he meant that CIE has no affiliation with the university. And that miscommunication has resulted in that bolded part.
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Dec 9 2012, 10:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Intermission Said this...

Reconnaisance Said this

I don't see intermission explanation is doubtful about and reconnaisance is just a reinforcement of what intermission had said but with a whole lot of confusion. rclxub.gif
+Quote Post
Intermission
post Dec 9 2012, 11:00 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(reconnaissance @ Dec 9 2012, 10:27 PM)
I think you misunderstood which part I am correcting.
First, I wrote NON-teaching, so we are both right, but I think you overlooked that.
And it's not about the classes have relation with the university, of course they don't, but the fact that you mentioned the CIE in the context as though it is not part of the university.
It is miscommunication, then misunderstood. And then there's that guy.
I was imagining the way the spokesperson from CEFL trying to talk him into the class. laugh.gif
The "Cambridge" I was referring to, is the name of the center. I was implying that it is one of the centers that is authorized by CIE, hence the name CEFL.

I am sorry if my statement implied that CIE has nothing to do with University of Cambridge eventhough I have no idea how that could happen. And if you wonder I am so sensitive about this issue, it is because I have seen parents of the students there complain because they thought that the tutors from CEFL are from University of Cambridge. sleep.gif

+Quote Post
reconnaissance
post Dec 9 2012, 11:06 PM

Hero Prodigy

QUOTE(hackwire @ Dec 9 2012, 10:56 PM)
Intermission Said this...

Reconnaisance Said this

I don't see intermission explanation is doubtful about and reconnaisance is just a reinforcement of what intermission had said but with a whole lot of confusion.  rclxub.gif
That is right!
Both is correct, just that I was trying to explain the link between the CIE and the university.
If you read it carefully, you will notice that his implication is ambiguous, and could imply that the CIE has no relation with the university.
And it was proven when you said that the Cambridge had no connection with the Cambridge UK, in which I didnt know you meant the center or the CIE.

Word for word, this is getting confusing, and as long as you get it, I can say case closed.
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Dec 9 2012, 11:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(reconnaissance @ Dec 9 2012, 11:06 PM)
That is right!
Both is correct, just that I was trying to explain the link between the CIE and the university.
If you read it carefully, you will notice that his implication is ambiguous, and could imply that the CIE has no relation with the university.
And it was proven when you said that the Cambridge had no connection with the Cambridge UK, in which I didnt know you meant the center or the CIE.

Word for word, this is getting confusing, and as long as you get it, I can say case closed.
sweat.gif got it! thanks.
u seem to know the stuff as well. can u tell me whether i should attend british council or CFL in tropicana ?
+Quote Post
reconnaissance
post Dec 9 2012, 11:20 PM

Hero Prodigy

QUOTE(hackwire @ Dec 9 2012, 11:10 PM)
u seem to know the stuff as well. can u tell me whether i should attend british council or CFL in tropicana ?
To be honest, if you really want to benefit from the program to improve English, I would recommend the British Council.
I am close with several of the tutors and I gauge that they have excellent proficiency in English, some to the extent of developing British accent. After proficient in English, you can take any Cambridge certificates in English at British Council as well.

However, I notice that most CFL tutors gave me the impression of mere school teachers. No doubt they might be good in speaking, but some still have weak pronunciations and use slangs. I thought I was unfortunate enough to meet the bad bunch but many people complaint so as well.
+Quote Post
Intermission
post Dec 9 2012, 11:30 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(hackwire @ Dec 9 2012, 11:10 PM)
The bottom line is, if english proficiency is your main concern, go to British council; if the qualification is your main concern, go to CEFL. However, do note that you might not be able to take the exams for any qualifications immediately in CEFL even after you learned english at the British Council as it is not an open list exam like IELTS. Be sure to clear this thing up before you decide: proficiency or qualifications first?

This post has been edited by Intermission: Dec 9 2012, 11:36 PM
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Dec 9 2012, 11:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(reconnaissance @ Dec 9 2012, 11:20 PM)
To be honest, if you really want to benefit from the program to improve English, I would recommend the British Council.
I am close with several of the tutors and I gauge that they have excellent proficiency in English, some to the extent of developing British accent. After proficient in English, you can take any Cambridge certificates in English at British Council as well.

However, I notice that most CFL tutors gave me the impression of mere school teachers. No doubt they might be good in speaking, but some still have weak pronunciations and use slangs. I thought I was unfortunate enough to meet the bad bunch but many people complaint so as well.
thanks. i can see good vocab used in your sentence like gauge, , bad bunch .one thing i like to correct as well. I have checked the Cambridge site on the examining center. British Council is not in the list of test centers. Im still clueless about this part.

Added on December 9, 2012, 11:49 pm
QUOTE(Intermission @ Dec 9 2012, 11:30 PM)
The bottom line is, if english proficiency is your main concern, go to British council; if the qualification is your main concern, go to CEFL. However, do note that you might not be able to take the exams  for any qualifications immediately  in CEFL even after you learned english at the British Council as it is not an open list exam like IELTS. Be sure to clear this thing up before you decide: proficiency or qualifications first?
i would prefer proficiency then a certificate. One thing i notice is that British Council exposure to foreign students is a plus point. Getting to know the lecturer is even better if they communicate with you often. english is about going out and learn i suppose. But i still like to be tested often so that i could examine my own weakness. by the way, in order to sit for Cambridge exam , one must actually enrol in CFL centers only? as you said , British Council will not have such exam . So i need to go through the CFL classes as well?

This post has been edited by hackwire: Dec 9 2012, 11:49 PM
+Quote Post
reconnaissance
post Dec 10 2012, 12:18 AM

Hero Prodigy

QUOTE(hackwire @ Dec 9 2012, 11:43 PM)
thanks. i can see good vocab used in your sentence like gauge, , bad bunch .one thing i like to correct as well. I have checked the Cambridge site on the examining center. British Council is not in the list of test centers. Im still clueless about this part.

Added on December 9, 2012, 11:49 pm
i would prefer proficiency then a certificate. One thing i notice is that British Council exposure to foreign students is a plus point. Getting to know the lecturer is even better if they communicate with you often. english is about going out and learn i suppose. But i still like to be tested often so that i could examine my own weakness. by the way, in order to sit for Cambridge exam , one must actually enrol in CFL centers only? as you said , British Council will not have such exam . So i need to go through the CFL classes as well?
My bad.
British Council does not provide testing for Cambridge certifications in English, but do provide other tests such as IELTS.
There are also numerous courses available in multiple variants, which would provide certificates as well.

+Quote Post
hackwire
post Dec 10 2012, 12:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(reconnaissance @ Dec 10 2012, 12:18 AM)
My bad.
British Council does not provide testing for Cambridge certifications in English, but do provide other tests such as IELTS.
There are also numerous courses available in multiple variants, which would provide certificates as well.
Thanks. I noticed that this exam call CELTA for english trainers. It seem like it's a high qualification certificate for those who intent to be a trainer. Do you guys have this cert or any of your friends that i can talk too? thanks in advance.
+Quote Post
Chocoholic
post Mar 20 2013, 09:22 AM

HI .. i'm looking for a business english course . i'm a working adult and would prefer weekend. Could you all please recommend which will be the best ? I can't find an answer from the previous 2 pages..

thanks smile.gif
+Quote Post
thistle
post May 25 2013, 02:23 AM

Casual

QUOTE(nexus2238 @ Dec 9 2012, 04:35 PM)
Pardon my ignorance smile.gif Are you saying that a candidate who scored in Band 9 of IELTS a few years ago going to college will become less proficient in his / her English upon graduation?  laugh.gif

Most foreign universities using English as teaching medium has a minimum requirement in IELTS, but if a candidate put down Band 9 IELTS in his / her CV, I have more confidence in an internationally accepted test.

And a lot of MNCs does look at IELTS, not just universities.

Maybe you should check with Cambridge for Life, and see how they rate their cert vis-a-vis IELTS. I remember I saw somewhere they rate their Certificate of Proficiency about the same as IELTS Band 9.  icon_rolleyes.gif
Does anyone know how much the CPE exam costs? Is it cheaper than doing IELTS every 2.5 years? I just want the qualification without attending any classes. The "For Life" validity is appealing because I recently retook IELTS to enter postgrad as my first one I took after A Levels has 'expired'.

Let's say I need to re-take IELTS to enter PhD after postgrad, and again for a working visa, that's at least two more times!

And yes, in my English did become 'worse' after graduation, according to my IELTS result. From Band 8.5 to Band 7.5 (because of Speaking which fell from 8.5 to a freaking 6.5). It might be due to the different examination centres, as British Council has British speaking examiners, whereas IDP's has locals as speaking examiners. IDP's exam is also apparently easier.

+Quote Post
Seeker king
post Jun 11 2013, 10:30 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(reconnaissance @ Dec 9 2012, 11:20 PM)

Oic, I am planning to take up a english course too. My english level I think should be intermediate, I want to improve on my communication skill as I need to communicate with my local and foreign customer in English.

So may I know is the british council is still the best english institute compare to Cambridge, Wall Street and etc??
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Jun 14 2013, 02:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Ok. here's my evaluation on British Council after i studied for 1 semester which is about 3 months. I took part time and once a week. The method they used was fabulous and creative but they are showing you the right way to communicate and make good use of it. There's nothing wrong with that, only thing is TIME which most of us don't have . If you think you could improve your english by attending once a week, i bet you don't show any improvement. It's the practice and the sparring technique with someone that will helps your verbal skills. And if anyone really , really ...i mean really wants to brush up your english knowledge than go for British council Full Time . If just for the sake of communication purposes and presentations, I recommend Toastmaster. One more thing, you need to interact alot with someone who are fluent in english to improve. If you interact with the same person as you or even worst than you, don't expect yourself to improve.

This post has been edited by hackwire: Jun 14 2013, 02:35 PM
+Quote Post
studyboy
post Sep 8 2013, 02:13 AM

Casual

QUOTE(hackwire @ Jun 14 2013, 02:35 PM)
Ok. here's my evaluation on British Council after i studied for 1 semester which is about 3 months. I took part time and once a week. The method they used was fabulous and creative but they are showing you the right way to communicate and make good use of it. There's nothing wrong with that, only thing is TIME which most of us don't have . If you think you could improve your english by attending once a week, i bet you don't show any improvement. It's the practice and the sparring technique with someone that will helps your verbal skills. And if anyone really , really ...i mean really wants to brush up your english knowledge than go for British council Full Time . If just for the sake of communication purposes and presentations, I recommend Toastmaster. One more thing, you need to interact alot with someone who are fluent in english to improve. If you interact with the same person as you or even worst than you, don't expect yourself to improve.
Hi hackwire,

What course did you go for at the British Council? I am currently looking at obtaining a CELTA and was wondering whether the latter is worth the fees!

Thanks!

studyboy
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Sep 11 2013, 02:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(studyboy @ Sep 8 2013, 02:13 AM)
Hi hackwire,

What course did you go for at the British Council? I am currently looking at obtaining a CELTA and was wondering whether the latter is worth the fees!

Thanks!

studyboy
CELTA is the teacher's course is it? how much ?
okay, my experience over there is that the teachers were alright bcos they were brits. not much of pressure and because im studying part time, the disadvantage is actually the locals here. I really don't like to mix with locals here because when the teacher were asking questions on the floor, nobody answer. It's the way we were in school. Our culture is,,, don't raise your hand or u be humiliated.
The middle east students and other foreign students are more brave to interact. Take full time rather than part time, bcos most part timers were locals who finish works or even students.

+Quote Post
studyboy
post Sep 12 2013, 10:37 PM

Casual

QUOTE(hackwire @ Sep 11 2013, 02:25 PM)
CELTA is the teacher's course is it? how much ?
okay, my experience over there is that the teachers were alright bcos they were brits. not much of pressure and because im studying part time, the disadvantage is actually the locals here. I really don't like to mix with locals here because when the teacher were asking questions on the floor, nobody answer. It's the way we were in school. Our culture is,,, don't raise your hand or u be humiliated.
The middle east students and other foreign students are more brave to interact. Take full time rather than part time, bcos most part timers were locals who finish works or even students.
Thanks for your reply hackwire! The last I check the course has a whopping RM8500 pricetag attached! I am more inclined to go for a DELTA but it is not offered here in Malaysia! sad.gif

hmm.gif I see! Thanks for sharing!
+Quote Post
hackwire
post Sep 13 2013, 11:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(studyboy @ Sep 12 2013, 10:37 PM)
Thanks for your reply hackwire! The last I check the course has a whopping RM8500 pricetag attached! I am more inclined to go for a DELTA but it is not offered here in Malaysia! sad.gif

hmm.gif I see! Thanks for sharing!
i strongly suggest you mingle with the right natives speakers to improve faster. the workbook can helps but if certificate is concern, im not sure if ESL offer the same course for teachers, probably cheaper. But for prestige and job placement, British Council is your best bet.
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

> Find Us on Facebook

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0826sec    1.13    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 04:35 AM