Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Vios 2013

views

kadajawi
post Jan 6 2013, 10:37 PM

On my way
544 posts

New bodykit only lar... if it were an all new version (which is long overdue, the next gen hatchback has been out for almost 3 years or so!) there should be spy shots of a new Vios sedan out there. There aren't, so they'll just add a body kit or change the design a bit or something like that. Maybe updated specs.
kadajawi
post Jan 6 2013, 11:05 PM

On my way
544 posts

Where got spyshots?

Center console meter? You mean meter is still in the center? Then it is the old one.

This is the "new" Yaris.
user posted image
kadajawi
post Jan 8 2013, 01:27 PM

On my way
544 posts

http://paultan.org/2013/01/08/toyota-vios-...gen/vios-spy-4/ !
The new Vios will be based on the new Yaris! So this one is a big one.

http://paultan.org/2013/01/08/toyota-vios-...ming-third-gen/

AFAIK they improved it a lot, so it might actually be a good car. Depending on how stingy Toyota is with the specs.

The interior looks less funky than in the Yaris, but it doesn't look too bad.

This post has been edited by kadajawi: Jan 8 2013, 01:35 PM
kadajawi
post Jan 8 2013, 02:52 PM

On my way
544 posts

That pic is the Yaris, the Vios gets a different interior. How the specs will be we don't know. Standard specs for the Yaris are 7 to 9 airbags (depending on region), VSC stability control and traction control.

Optional stuff includes satnav with touchscreen, disc brakes at the back, automatic aircon. Start-stop feature (engine turns off when not moving).

Engine options are a 1.0 with 69 hp and a 1.33 with 99 hp, as well as a 1.4 diesel with 90 hp. CVT or manual. Medium spec has 16", highest spec 15".

Anyones guess what we will actually get. Probably some big old engine and a 4 speed, plus 2 airbags and no stability control.
kadajawi
post Jan 9 2013, 06:06 PM

On my way
544 posts

QUOTE(jepakazoid_82 @ Jan 8 2013, 04:28 PM)
This console same ah with the PaulTan spyshot one? Looks different one.
Different. But the basic layout is the same. Look closely, while the design has changed you can see it is the same. Like here:
user posted image
user posted image
It is the same car, but Merc decided to redesign the dashboard so people won't notice it's a Renault. laugh.gif (After all people have to spend RM 10k more for the badge and a less comfortable suspension). Vents are at similar places, gearlever is at the same place, etc.

The Yaris is probably aimed at a younger audience, who want a funkier interior. It is quite similar in design to the Prius C, which got quite a bit of criticism here. So they decided to make it closer to the Altis, to make it look classier (I wonder where they'd put in a touchscreen HU... certainly won't fit in as nicely as in the Yaris). To be honest I think it's not bad. 3 different materials if I'm not mistaken. Toyota might want to respond to the Fiesta, Polo and Rio and give it some proper safety equipment. They easily could. If they do it, I think they can almost crush their competition. Even I would consider it. All depends on the specs.

@kimsim: Can you give me a link?
kadajawi
post Feb 8 2013, 11:51 AM

On my way
544 posts

Not as pretty as the K3, but for a Toyota quite good. Though that's, well, we are talking about Toyota after all.

It really was about time. We will have to see if it is worth the money though, I think it will be quite empty and outdated inside.
kadajawi
post Feb 8 2013, 11:53 AM

On my way
544 posts

Ps: Good bye RV for the Dugong. The first Vios held up nicely cause it was a better made car, with similar tech, and a nicer design. In terms of design at least the new one will easily beat the Dugong.
kadajawi
post Feb 8 2013, 12:13 PM

On my way
544 posts

Can Toyota even drastically improve the cars/specs? I mean, then resale value of their older models would suffer. If the resale value suffers, one of the most important "features" of a Toyota goes away. Why buy a Toyota then?

This post has been edited by kadajawi: Feb 8 2013, 12:13 PM
kadajawi
post Feb 8 2013, 01:19 PM

On my way
544 posts

Yes. Toyota is in a difficult position. On one hand RV is very important too them. Especially the Vios may not lose value too much. If it does, that would be bad for sales. So people can't look at the Vios and think... wow, this is so great, there is no way I'll buy the Dugong anymore. It has to be bad enough that there is still interest in the old one.

However yes, we have seen on the Camry that a too basic spec will also do bad things to sales. Too much competition these days, and the superiority of contis and to a certain degree even Koreans is just too great. They need to improve a lot to be competitive again.

But if they replace engine etc., people may say: Oh, all new, wonder how reliable it is. At the same time, other brands are already a few generations into their new engines, gearboxes etc., so they are by now proven. First gen DSG horrible, but new ones are fine. etc. The Prius C isn't doing as good as it should, right? Perhaps because it is too modern?

Basically they may have already losts the game, and there is nothing they can do about it. Either way they will lose, the question will be if they can minimize the damage.

I'd try to go a middle way. Full safety spec, you won't want a PR disaster at ASEAN NCAP. They are in a very fortunate position to phase out the current Vios before side impacts happen, something that would hurt Dugong RV very bad (I do hope ASEAN NCAP doesn't care and will test the Dugong anyway). So 6 airbags and ESP is important, you'll want a 5 star rating. Engine stay the same, but replace the gearbox with a 6 speeder. Rest stays the same. 1 year down the road introduce an improved Vios, new, smaller engine, more features inside. Perhaps keep introducing features to reach the competition over time. First as option, then make them standard.
kadajawi
post Feb 8 2013, 05:00 PM

On my way
544 posts

I mean Toyota depends on good resale value. A much improved Vios will hurt resale value of the old one, since people would rather top up a bit to get the new one.

Of course despite this there can be strong sales since the new Vios may be quite attractive. But how about long term sales? The good Vios resale value is what sells a ton of Vios, Altis and Camry. It is very important to Toyota.

VSC will soon be standard on all Toyota's (where possible). ASEAN NCAP will ensure that. If this is an entirely new Vios it should be able to get 5 stars, so VSC is needed to really get that rating. 4 airbags are also a must, perhaps 6 in high spec.

Yeah, basically the Prius C is too modern for Malaysians. That is why I think Toyota can't make the Vios too modern, it may alienate potential customers.

Basically they need to carefully balance things in order to keep their carefully crafted reputation and to nudge it in the right direction. Otherwise they will end up another me too car maker in Malaysia.
kadajawi
post Feb 8 2013, 09:06 PM

On my way
544 posts

Told ya, sell your Vios fast before the RV drops. Now it is almost too late.

Diesel... Would be interesting, but Toyota isn't so strong in terms of diesels, and their typical customers would probably shy away from it. Makes more sense to see that from Ford, VW or Renault (if they launch the Clio). Though diesel IMHO make more sense in big and heavy cars. C segment and above.
kadajawi
post Feb 8 2013, 11:51 PM

On my way
544 posts

In Germany you can sell 0 airbag cars. Right now. Perfectly legal, there are a few on sale like that. A somewhat popular brand comes with 2 airbags as standard, and no ESP, not even optional.

Yet most B segment cars have at least 4, usually 6 or 7 airbags as standard. The A segment VW up! has the city braking feature that now the Mazda 6 2.5 will be getting. As standard in base spec.

It's the market that decides what features will be added or removed.
kadajawi
post Feb 9 2013, 10:39 AM

On my way
544 posts

The K3 isn't my favorite B segment car. I don't think it is very pretty. But the Vios isn't either. My pick would be the Clio IV. Damn that's a hot car.
kadajawi
post Feb 9 2013, 11:12 AM

On my way
544 posts

Ah yes, got confused there. K3 is C segment of course. Have to compare Vios with Rio. Then the Vios is indeed better looking...
kadajawi
post Feb 15 2013, 10:45 AM

On my way
544 posts

Recently I read that the next B segment Toyota (4th gen Yaris I suppose) will be based on the Mazda2, as the Yaris is, well, not well received by reviewers and potential customers. It is not good enough, even though the 3rd gen is already a big improvement over the 2nd gen.

The current Vios is based on the 2nd gen Yaris, the new Vios may be based on the 3rd gen one. Though someone said the pics of the new Vios show a shape closer to the 2nd gen Yaris. Didn't take a close look.
kadajawi
post Feb 15 2013, 11:35 AM

On my way
544 posts

The 3rd gen Yaris is a relatively safe car too, IIRC.

What I meant is the basic shape. For example look at the Kangoo II, the Kangoo II Phase 2 (facelift coming soon) and the Mercedes Citan. They can only change certain parts from the basic vehicle, but between A and C pillar it is the same car. Maybe doors can be changed, but the basic shape remains the same. Or the Peugeot 206 vs the 206+ and Malaysian 207, and the Chinese Citroen C3. You can see that they are the same car. Also one of the earlier Fiestas where they introduced that oval design. That might be the most striking example, because it really didn't work.

Body panels can be changed, but things like the A pillar can't, perhaps to a very small degree by layering on top of the actual structure, but there it ends. If those parts are more 2nd gen Yaris than 3rd gen Yaris...

This post has been edited by kadajawi: Feb 15 2013, 11:39 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0248sec    0.41    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:53 PM