Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Lowered myvi 1.5

views

6UE5T
post Dec 1 2012, 06:02 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

Lowering usually will increase the camber a bit and hence can cause the inner side of the tires to be worn out more. You can do realignment to minimize this and in most cases it will not cause too much excessive wear compared to before lowering. Most cars on std condition should have <-1 camber. With lowering it can reach -1 to -1.5 which is still ok for street use. If after lowering your car camber even more then you may need camber nuts to help bring it back.
If your car hit those speed bumps etc. in the under body, it should be ok. Most of the the time, it's the muffler/exhaust pipes that get's hit and can break but only if severe case. What you need to be more careful is usually the front lip spoiler/bumper of your car which often can get scrapped when going up/down on ramps in/out of malls.
In terms of absorber, it depends on the sport springs that you use. If the spring rates are very stiff/high compared to std then you may need to change the absorbers as it's not strong enough to dampen the spring movements. But there are many sport springs which are still compatible with std absorbers too, for example Tanabe NF series. Of course there's still effect to the lifetime of the absorbers as it definitely has to work harder to dampen the slightly stiffer springs but in general should not brake the absorbers so fast. Maybe just reduce the lifetime a little bit only.

This post has been edited by 6UE5T: Dec 1 2012, 06:05 PM
6UE5T
post Dec 2 2012, 10:13 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(ave666 @ Dec 2 2012, 08:12 AM)
thanx a lot sir.. wanna lowering my ride just for the awesome look only. the new myvi looks very tall like hilux. very shame bout that
Most std cars are like that. Myvi is not that bad actually. Just look at those Peugeot 207, Nissan Almera, Proton Preve, etc. They're so tall that I feel like the body is going to fly off and leave the wheels on the ground!

Added on December 2, 2012, 10:22 am
QUOTE(kadajawi @ Dec 2 2012, 12:29 AM)
lol, of course I do slow down. But I don't go crazily slow because I haven't lowered my car to a level where I will damage it. There is a reason why cars have a certain height. Depending on the bump I might drive over it at 20-30 km/h. Not a problem. Suspension also still ok, tyres ok, ... wink.gif IMHO if you want to take care of your car... don't lower it. The harder suspension that it needs because of that will put more stress onto the car, unless you drive slow all the time. But in that case... why lower it?

In a country with perfect roads, yes, I can see why one would lower the car. But we are in Malaysia. The country of the pothole and of the unreasonably high and steep speedbump. I'd rather raise my car/turn it into a monster truck.

Anyway I'd like to know what the reason is for lowering the car.
Lowering with the proper sport springs makes the car feels more stable and planted during high speed as it will have less body roll and sharpen up your handling a bit (the car will feel a lot less floaty).
In general Malaysia is not that bad if you just lower by 2-3cms on most std cars. I so far I have not yet encountered speed bumps that are too high and pointy, and potholes are not that many and not that severe. You should go and visit Jakarta then you'll surely have a whole new definition of bad speed bumps and potholes! smile.gif

This post has been edited by 6UE5T: Dec 2 2012, 10:22 AM
6UE5T
post Dec 2 2012, 12:46 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(kadajawi @ Dec 2 2012, 12:11 PM)
Haha I have been in a non lowered Wira touching the ground despite going over it slowly. Some speedbumps are insane.

OK I guess 2 cm will be fine.

If your Myvi is too high... wrong car. If handling and cornering matters also wrong car IMHO. If you want to drive fast get a Proton, or better yet a conti.

If the car is too low I am afraid the car will just jump from one bump to the next, it will follow the unevenness too much. If your suspension is too stiff on the Nordschleife you can't so fast lap times. Normal roads are more like that than a proper super smooth race track.
Yes, too stiff also actually can make you go slower as it fails to absorb the road unevenness and will actually loose traction as the tires skip & jump rather than slide.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0130sec    0.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:59 PM